+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rift at 3% of MGI net revenues in Oct. 2020 presentation

  1. #1
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,086

    Default Rift at 3% of MGI net revenues in Oct. 2020 presentation

    I just read the Oct. 5, 2020 MGI Nordic Investor Presentation, which gave a pie chart (slide 7) showing the revenue percentages for their top 10 MMOs. Rift was 7th at 3%. That was 3% for all of MGI, not just the gaming segment. The media segment was 37% of revenues and the gaming segment was 63%. The top ten MMOs accounted for 49% of MGI revenues with the remaining 14% coming from casual games and others. Unfortunately, there was no date and time frame given for those statistics.

    Here are the top ten MMOs:
    1. Trove 13%
    2. Archeage Unchained 11%
    3. Fiesta 5%
    4. Aura Kingdom 4%
    5. Desert Operations 4%
    6. Archeage 3%
    7. Rift 3%
    8. Grand Fantasia 3%
    9. Shaiya 2%
    10. Defiance 1%

    https://mgi.group/wp-content/uploads...esentation.pdf

    The biggest change was in Archeage, which was 2nd in an earlier top ten. Archeage's plummet to 6th was apparently due to players moving over to the new Archeage Unchained, which gamigo launched in Oct. 2019.

    There may be a more recent top ten MMOs list in the 2021 Capital Markets Day presentation that should be online soon. The recently acquired Wizard101 is now the top MMO so all the others will move down one spot. Defiance was ended in early 2021 so is gone from the top ten.

    One interesting question is whether the newly acquired Pirates101 will make the top ten. If it does, what MMO in the above list gets bumped out?

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,606

    Default

    Since Defiance is in the chart one can only assume the timeframe was when Defiance was still running.

    What is more scary is the fact Defiance made their top 10 list and was still axed. Rift is dangerously close to the bottom especially considering Defiance is gone, so basically tied for 2nd to last place.

    What will probably determine the next axxing is what revenue is coming in after this phase, so basically what they know now of current revenue. Im pretty sure Rift has dropped even lower considering what seems a dwindling playerbase. At any rate some big MMO’s will probably kill Rift here soon because people only need to temporarily leave the game (and supporting it) for Rift to probably lower to the red zone.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 08-20-2021 at 10:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Since Defiance is in the chart one can only assume the timeframe was when Defiance was still running.
    The presentation was Oct. 2020 so it would have been before that, perhaps 3rd Q 2020 numbers or before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    What is more scary is the fact Defiance made their top 10 list and was still axed. Rift is dangerously close to the bottom especially considering Defiance is gone, so basically tied for 2nd to last place.
    You are forgetting that gamigo has more than 10 games. Gamigo also shut down 3 other MMOs at the same time Defiance shut down, and those 3 were all below the top 10. The odds would seem better that gamigo would next shut down MMOs below the top 10, such as Last Chaos or Echo of Soul. Archeage may be on the chopping block as well since it is largely redundant with the newer Archeage Unchained.

    A 31 March 2021 equity research report on MGI lists their top ten MMOs (page 11) that includes all the games I listed above except Defiance and Shaiya, which were replaced by Wizard101 and Pirate101. That puts Shaiya out of the top 10.

    https://research.paretosec.com/PARET...9YGMfy2w%3D%3D

    It's hard to judge what MGI/gamigo might do. It would contradict MGI's frequent claim that their old MMOs with loyal player bases are still profitable if they would shut down a 10+ year old Rift.
    Last edited by Zornar; 08-21-2021 at 12:38 AM.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    180

    Default

    In the quiet words of Zornar - all is good, expansion is comming!



  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuradid View Post
    In the quiet words of Zornar - all is good, expansion is comming!


    What you just said literally didn't make any sense.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Videssian View Post
    What you just said literally didn't make any sense.
    LOL! Was there really an expectation that it would?

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrianna View Post
    LOL! Was there really an expectation that it would?
    Yes, actually. Their posts have their own flavor, and there's often typos and whatnot, but their posts are short and coherent. This one wasn't. Maybe they were high or something..

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Videssian View Post
    Yes, actually. Their posts have their own flavor, and there's often typos and whatnot, but their posts are short and coherent. This one wasn't. Maybe they were high or something..
    Hehe. I've seen the "not making sense" comment directed at the same poster by others. Sooo, can't really agree with you there.

    Every forum has a person or persons who come around to dig at the same person over and over again. It's been noticed by others too.
    Last edited by Ambrianna; 08-28-2021 at 10:49 AM.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrianna View Post
    Hehe. I've seen the "not making sense" comment directed at the same poster by others. Sooo, can't really agree with you there.

    Every forum has a person or persons who come around to dig at the same person over and over again. It's been noticed by others too.
    Wellll, in my defense, I just pulled up the page of his posts because it was easy to do so, I didn't actually go to the threads they reference to see if his posts actually made sense for whatever the topic was. If you say he's not making sense a lot of the time, I can't help but believe you

    But yes, there's definitely people like that, everywhere.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Since Defiance is in the chart one can only assume the timeframe was when Defiance was still running.

    What is more scary is the fact Defiance made their top 10 list and was still axed. Rift is dangerously close to the bottom especially considering Defiance is gone, so basically tied for 2nd to last place.

    What will probably determine the next axxing is what revenue is coming in after this phase, so basically what they know now of current revenue. Im pretty sure Rift has dropped even lower considering what seems a dwindling playerbase. At any rate some big MMO’s will probably kill Rift here soon because people only need to temporarily leave the game (and supporting it) for Rift to probably lower to the red zone.
    They would have more players if they had just stuck with the old individual launcher!

    So much fail.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Videssian View Post
    Wellll, in my defense, I just pulled up the page of his posts because it was easy to do so, I didn't actually go to the threads they reference to see if his posts actually made sense for whatever the topic was. If you say he's not making sense a lot of the time, I can't help but believe you

    But yes, there's definitely people like that, everywhere.
    My posts are all directed to zornar, personally, because he has been talking how game gets new content, tons of updates from gamigo, future is great etc

    He is (was) the last mohican cheering for gamigo, but even he is now beeing critical

    English is third language, so yeah, most of the time my comments wount make sense to native speakers

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toodle View Post
    They would have more players if they had just stuck with the old individual launcher!

    So much fail.
    I don't think the launcher makes any difference there, seriously.

    Trion would have lots of players had they done many things differently, as well as still be in business. However, that's not the timeline we are on.

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuradid View Post
    My posts are all directed to zornar, personally, because he has been talking how game gets new content, tons of updates from gamigo, future is great etc

    He is (was) the last mohican cheering for gamigo, but even he is now beeing critical
    Please stop lying about me. I have never said Rift gets "tons of updates from gamigo, future is great, etc."

    I have been saying just the opposite, that there has been nothing new since Carnival in April and the game has fallen below maintenance mode because the twice monthly Call to Action events just stopped several months ago with no explanation.

    I posted in this thread that gamigo claimed Rift was 7th among their top ten MMOs back in Oct. 2020 so hardly the best spot to be in considering the 10th ranked MMO at the time, Defiance, was shut down a few months ago.

    Maybe Rift is less likely to be shut down than MMOs earning less revenue than Rift but who knows with gamigo. It didn't save Defiance, which was above Last Chaos and Echo of Soul MMOs. They both got recent major updates. Last Chaos had its level cap raised from 185 to 190 and a new dungeon in Feb.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Videssian View Post
    I don't think the launcher makes any difference there, seriously.

    Trion would have lots of players had they done many things differently, as well as still be in business. However, that's not the timeline we are on.
    Very well said.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuradid View Post
    My posts are all directed to zornar, personally, because he has been talking how game gets new content, tons of updates from gamigo, future is great etc

    He is (was) the last mohican cheering for gamigo, but even he is now beeing critical

    English is third language, so yeah, most of the time my comments wount make sense to native speakers
    I think you're just bullying Zomar for the sake of bullying.

    I don't recall seeing Zomar say anything about "tons (really? He used the word tons?) of updates", "future is great", etc. It seems more like you took his positivity toward the game, escalated it in YOUR own words to an inconceivable level, then turned it all around on him as if he were saying those things.

    Without body language, vocal expression, etc., it can be harder to interpret meaning. I don't feel he ever meant that Gamigo was the end-all-be-all of game management, everything was great, Rift was forever, etc. I haven't seen him say anything of the sort that I could even remotely interpret those things. I've never seen him encourage people to spend boatloads of moola and support-support-support because everything is so great!

    I did see him be encouaging months ago, but that's when Gamigo was giving the "appearnace" of moving forward. Even I was feeling a little happy about it (guess I'm glad I didn't mention it on the forum, huh?) Those of us that have been here a very long time might have been a little upbeat thinking something more might happen.

    So because Zomar had some positive things to say way back when, you're going to come here every so often and point your forum fingers and him and act like a taunting, bratty 7th grader, over stuff he didn't say? For f**cks sake, why?

    No idea what English being the third language would have to do with anything. If English is his third language, he speaks it exponentially better than a lot of Americans that were supposedly "educated" in it their first 12 years of schooling - so your point is what exactly?

    Either someone tinkles in your Wheaties daily, or this is just a view of your character.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts