+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 182
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: It's Been More Than Three Years, Please Pull the Plug

  1. #166
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Videssian View Post
    When Ashes is pulling stunts like charging $500 for Alpha access, I have doubts that game is going to turn out well, and I don't intend to support creators that see fit to milk intending players years before the game is even out.. IF it comes out.

    Fortunately, there's likely to be other, better options before 2025. We don't know what Rift's spiritual successor will be, but I'm sure there will be one. I'll see you all there
    The $500 alpha access has been covered by Intrepid Studios, several times I believe, by the CEO who tells you (me, everyone) not to buy the alpha if you intend to simply play the game. Most people doing that are diehard fans or streamers who get a tax write off for it. I watched a streamer even state this, but anyways the game studio was very open about who should/shouldnt look into that. I.e. if you thought it was for you or I that wasnt it's intended target, and the studio told everyone this.

    That being said they are committing to a cosmetics shop and (telling us) they are actively avoiding p2w like the plague. I myself dont believe cosmetics are p2w no matter how someone spins it, so if they stick true to their words Im good with their buy to play, monthly sub model and only cosmetics in shop.

    The CEO even blasted Amazon for its cash shop p2w items. Thats a bold foot forward and the CEO isnt playing political. Intrepid has the best chance for a true MMO experience from the past (original, beloved games) because the CEO already paid for the game basically and all the suits and investors who normally have a say to turn our games into grindy cash shop slogs and ruin the experience dont have the say in this game as in others as such. It also has some 80+ staff members already, a new studio the rich CEO made, and they are hiring more. Im not selling you a sales pitch, Im simply regurgitating info I looked up that adds up to a lot of positives for why a lot of people are looking forward to Ashes of Creation. Almost all other games get ruined by investors/suits, so here is to hoping.

    Im keeping my eye out for other possibilities, though, and Ashes probably wont be out or even hitting beta until 2023 Id guess. Its possible, though, since they have a large team and are expanding. If something else great comes out i will check into it as well.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 05-27-2021 at 02:15 PM.

  2. #167
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    67

    Default Beg to Differ

    Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    Crucia's Claw was released on October 25th, 2017. There has been no content updates since that patch.

    Before a word is said about the subsequent patches and 4.5. No, I will not accept class tuning, shop promos, reskinned events/dungeons, or enlarged squirrel world bosses as content. I mean zones, stories, world events, dungeons, raids, invasions, IAs, souls, PvP updates, you know, actual content to play in an MMORPG.

    Gamingo, if you're not going to invest in Rift and bring it to life then the least you could do is put the game to rest. I know it doesn't make sense to the corpo types but for those of us who actually have loved the game and invested in it emotionally we are essentially watching a loved one go into the hospital and being kept alive by machines despite the fact they haven't moved in their bed for more than three years.

    Please, let's bury our beloved game for good so we can stop suffering needlessly and move on.

    For those of you that only speak money, let me angle this differently. The more you drag this out the more I begin to resent the Gamingo name. The more resentful I become the more I think any title associated with their name doesn't deserve a penny of my money. I may enjoy Archeage but if you're going to behave this way towards Rift then I will not put out a penny for ArcheAge or any other game even loosely associated with your company name.

    If you are refusing to give the care to the game it deserves then put our game to rest, it's best for the players, it's best for the game, and it's best for your bottom line.
    I actually like Rift for the same reasons you hate it. I played WoW for 14 years before I finally quit when shadowlands was released. The reason I quit was because of the level quish, basically, Blizzard decided to cater to new players who thought 120 levels was too daunting and dropped the level cap to 60. So I went from BIS level 120 to level 50 that could no longer solo old content due to poor implemetation.

    I started playing Rift in January of 2021(I actually bought the game at launch, played for a week, and went back to wow, so I don't consider myself a returning player) and I like the fact that the gear and level I amass will not become obsolete due to new content. Once I get all BIS gear, I will try to find something else to do maybe help my alts gear up or work on artifacts. I understand for those who have been playing for years they may have run out of things to do, but that does not warrant pulling the plug. You can just do what I did with Wow and move on, and let those like myself who currently still enjoying the game continue.

    Note: I have been hearing since I started playing that the game is dead, but 6 months later I still have no trouble getting into raids and dungeon. I personally like the game the way it is.

  3. #168
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codeblue001 View Post
    I actually like Rift for the same reasons you hate it. I played WoW for 14 years before I finally quit when shadowlands was released. The reason I quit was because of the level quish, basically, Blizzard decided to cater to new players who thought 120 levels was too daunting and dropped the level cap to 60. So I went from BIS level 120 to level 50 that could no longer solo old content due to poor implemetation.

    I started playing Rift in January of 2021(I actually bought the game at launch, played for a week, and went back to wow, so I don't consider myself a returning player) and I like the fact that the gear and level I amass will not become obsolete due to new content. Once I get all BIS gear, I will try to find something else to do maybe help my alts gear up or work on artifacts. I understand for those who have been playing for years they may have run out of things to do, but that does not warrant pulling the plug. You can just do what I did with Wow and move on, and let those like myself who currently still enjoying the game continue.

    Note: I have been hearing since I started playing that the game is dead, but 6 months later I still have no trouble getting into raids and dungeon. I personally like the game the way it is.
    You compared a ever-expanding game to a stagnant game. You would have to max out, everything, then play for 3-4 years being max repeating everything over and over nothing new gained then get back with those you are addressing with your (now) perspective to make any sense. As of now your a new player experience basically. I cant take you at face value on what you prefer when you've not experienced 3-4 years of it. If you played another game that ended expanding for 3-4 years and stated you prefer this, then that would make sense.

    Its like saying I like steak right now a lot more then pizza. Then I feed you steak everyday for 3 years. You probably wont want steak then because your sick of it. Tasted great when it was new(ish) to you. Got old after a while due to lack of variety.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 05-31-2021 at 10:20 AM.

  4. #169
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    You compared a ever-expanding game to a stagnant game. You would have to max out, everything, then play for 3-4 years being max repeating everything over and over nothing new gained then get back with those you are addressing with your (now) perspective to make any sense. As of now your a new player experience basically.
    I may not be an experienced Rift Player but I am an MMO veteran. Plus if you read my statement I had a disclaimer expressing that those who have been playing for years may feel differently. Regardless, wanting to kill something because you no longer enjoy it seems a bit selfish. I made a comparison to WoW because when I no longer liked the game, I left, not wish for it to be killed.

    Edit: using your own logic, just because I am tired of eating steak does not mean that others can't enjoy it, so should I ask the restaurant or supermarket to stop serving/selling steak

    2nd Edit: I played City of Heroes back in 2005, and loved it. Got to Max level and for 4 years there was no new content. I just moved on, never once wished for it to be killed.
    Last edited by codeblue001; 05-31-2021 at 11:04 AM.

  5. #170
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    The $500 alpha access has been covered by Intrepid Studios, several times I believe, by the CEO who tells you (me, everyone) not to buy the alpha if you intend to simply play the game. Most people doing that are diehard fans or streamers who get a tax write off for it. I watched a streamer even state this, but anyways the game studio was very open about who should/shouldnt look into that. I.e. if you thought it was for you or I that wasnt it's intended target, and the studio told everyone this.
    I just went to the Ashes Store, and the $500 package says no such thing. While it does say you shouldn't expect a finished game, that's blindingly obvious, it's an *alpha*. Now, I accept that the CEO might have said such things, but the large majority of prospective players will never see it, what they WILL see is what's on the store.

    It's a stupid move by Intrepid, and makes them look bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    That being said they are committing to a cosmetics shop and (telling us) they are actively avoiding p2w like the plague. I myself dont believe cosmetics are p2w no matter how someone spins it, so if they stick true to their words Im good with their buy to play, monthly sub model and only cosmetics in shop.
    I can tolerate a cosmetics-only cash shop, doubly so if the cosmetic items can also be purchased by in-game currency. I agree that it's not p2w, but I much prefer no cash shop at all, just as Rift was at launch, with some facility for things like name/faction/sex change as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    The CEO even blasted Amazon for its cash shop p2w items. Thats a bold foot forward and the CEO isnt playing political.
    Sure it's political, when at the same time he's charging $500 for Alpha Access, and 3 other packages for over $100, when the game won't be out for YEARS. His "authority" to blast Amazon looks pretty self-serving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Intrepid has the best chance for a true MMO experience from the past (original, beloved games) because the CEO already paid for the game basically and all the suits and investors who normally have a say to turn our games into grindy cash shop slogs and ruin the experience dont have the say in this game as in others as such. It also has some 80+ staff members already, a new studio the rich CEO made, and they are hiring more. Im not selling you a sales pitch, Im simply regurgitating info I looked up that adds up to a lot of positives for why a lot of people are looking forward to Ashes of Creation. Almost all other games get ruined by investors/suits, so here is to hoping.
    He has in no way already paid for the game. If he had, he'd have no reason to charge high amounts for alpha and beta access, would he! Trying to charge people hundreds of US$ years before release suggests desperation or greed or both, and that's concerning for the future of the game.

    Now, I'm not saying he hasn't raised funds, or that he doesn't have a substantial dev team. I accept that he may, and I certainly accept that work is ongoing. Will those funds (however raised) result in a released game? We don't know. Chronicles of Elyria made bold claims too, and we know how that turned out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Im keeping my eye out for other possibilities, though, and Ashes probably wont be out or even hitting beta until 2023 Id guess. Its possible, though, since they have a large team and are expanding. If something else great comes out i will check into it as well.
    Like many others out there, I'm betting on Blue Protocol. I believe that game will be the "new Rift, Anime style". Of course we won't know until it's out, but at least it should be out well before Ashes, and you'll be able to judge for yourself. Hopefully in 2022.
    Last edited by Videssian; 05-31-2021 at 12:00 PM.

  6. #171
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codeblue001 View Post
    I may not be an experienced Rift Player but I am an MMO veteran. Plus if you read my statement I had a disclaimer expressing that those who have been playing for years may feel differently. Regardless, wanting to kill something because you no longer enjoy it seems a bit selfish. I made a comparison to WoW because when I no longer liked the game, I left, not wish for it to be killed.

    Edit: using your own logic, just because I am tired of eating steak does not mean that others can't enjoy it, so should I ask the restaurant or supermarket to stop serving/selling steak

    2nd Edit: I played City of Heroes back in 2005, and loved it. Got to Max level and for 4 years there was no new content. I just moved on, never once wished for it to be killed.
    Ive never asked for the game to be shut down. You clumped me in with the OP. I was responding to the stagnant vs. fresh outlook of the game.

  7. #172
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Ive never asked for the game to be shut down. You clumped me in with the OP. I was responding to the stagnant vs. fresh outlook of the game.
    I know you didn't say you wanted the game to shut down, but your steak analogy, unless I am mistaken sounded like you were defending the OPs stance on pulling the plug.

    Regardless I am more sympathetic to the OP than you think. I know what it is like to invest so much in something only for it to become stagnant or morph into something totally different.

    A good example, although not a video game is Dragonball/DragonBallZ anime series. I was a big fan. It was a part of my childhood. When the creator decided to stop creating more content, the studio tried to continue milking the show and they created Dragonball GT and Super. As I fan I don't recognize the last 2 installments as part of the Franchise, but I understand that there are people who like them and I respect that not wish for the show to be canceled

  8. #173
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codeblue001 View Post
    I know you didn't say you wanted the game to shut down, but your steak analogy, unless I am mistaken sounded like you were defending the OPs stance on pulling the plug.

    Regardless I am more sympathetic to the OP than you think. I know what it is like to invest so much in something only for it to become stagnant or morph into something totally different.

    A good example, although not a video game is Dragonball/DragonBallZ anime series. I was a big fan. It was a part of my childhood. When the creator decided to stop creating more content, the studio tried to continue milking the show and they created Dragonball GT and Super. As I fan I don't recognize the last 2 installments as part of the Franchise, but I understand that there are people who like them and I respect that not wish for the show to be canceled
    The steak analogy was for stagnant vs. fresh outlook.

    In my perfect world Id prefer people to stop supporting Rift financially, a LOT more people to speak up, then see if the masses speaking with their wallets and words can get Gamigo to put a (tiny) bit of effort into the game. We are at the point devs/CMs, whatever they want to call them just ignore the playerbase. They take your $$ readily enough but report something, better chance at winning the lottery then getting a response. Its insulting to say the least.

    I realize the opposite could happen and Gamigo sees Rift as a thing to drop, but I believe the effort would speak volumes as a player base whole. I think Rift is already on their radar for the chopping block because they dont put effort into it or much advertisement, and so they themselves are speeding up its shelf life by their predatory practices.

  9. #174
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    The steak analogy was for stagnant vs. fresh outlook.

    In my perfect world Id prefer people to stop supporting Rift financially, a LOT more people to speak up, then see if the masses speaking with their wallets and words can get Gamigo to put a (tiny) bit of effort into the game. We are at the point devs/CM’s, whatever they want to call them just ignore the playerbase. They take your $$ readily enough but report something, better chance at winning the lottery then getting a response. Its insulting to say the least.
    Although I disagree I see your point and respect your view. It is true that Gamigo is not adding any new content nor are they fixing bugs, but they are maintaining the Game that Trion left behind. Running a server cost money. I also don't think Rift is as profitable to Gamigo as many people may think, and that is coming from someone who has spent lots of money on this game.

    City of Heroes was stagnant for many years, every once in a while I would log on to see if my guildies and friends were still on, but they were all gone. There was a type of Nolstagia logging into the game and hoping that I could see my friends again, and when the server shot down I was kind of sad as if I lost something. Even though I no longer played the Game I had hoped it would always be there so that someday I could perhaps show it to my kids.

    While I sympathize with OP, I strongly disagree with pulling the plug, but sooner or later the OP will get his wish as nothing lasts forever.

    EDIT: Another thing I just thought about, since they are so many Rift players not happy with the current status of Rift, what if veterans players like yourself get together and raise funds to buy Rift from GAMIGO. I am not sure how much Rift is worth, or how much GAMIGO paid for it, but it may be possible to buy it off them.
    Last edited by codeblue001; 06-01-2021 at 08:27 PM.

  10. #175
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codeblue001 View Post
    Although I disagree I see your point and respect your view. It is true that Gamigo is not adding any new content nor are they fixing bugs, but they are maintaining the Game that Trion left behind. Running a server cost money. I also don't think Rift is as profitable to Gamigo as many people may think, and that is coming from someone who has spent lots of money on this game.

    City of Heroes was stagnant for many years, every once in a while I would log on to see if my guildies and friends were still on, but they were all gone. There was a type of Nolstagia logging into the game and hoping that I could see my friends again, and when the server shot down I was kind of sad as if I lost something. Even though I no longer played the Game I had hoped it would always be there so that someday I could perhaps show it to my kids.

    While I sympathize with OP, I strongly disagree with pulling the plug, but sooner or later the OP will get his wish as nothing lasts forever.

    EDIT: Another thing I just thought about, since they are so many Rift players not happy with the current status of Rift, what if veterans players like yourself get together and raise funds to buy Rift from GAMIGO. I am not sure how much Rift is worth, or how much GAMIGO paid for it, but it may be possible to buy it off them.
    Funny you say that. A couple years ago some player did actually try to buy Rift from Trion. I think someone stated it came out to like $5 million offered (could be wrong). Rift was sold to Gamigo as a package deal, but I believe someone estimated its piece of the pie value was around $2 million.

  11. #176
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Funny you say that. A couple of years ago some player did actually try to buy Rift from Trion. I think someone stated it came out to like $5 million offered (could be wrong). Rift was sold to Gamigo as a package deal, but I believe someone estimated its piece of the pie value was around $2 million.
    $2 to $5 million is not bad and looks doable. You would only need 5000 players put down $1000 each.

  12. #177
    Champion Merlin666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I may be wrong but this goes beyond simply who owns the game, there are titles and licensing rights to think about, all the stuff that most gamers don't think about. yes gamigo owns the game but I don't think they are doing it simply protect the game for the old-timers playing it while making a little cash on the side ... there are advertising rights and ownership of certain titles and licenses that they want to maintain ... not sure if I said that right cuz I'm kinda unsure of what I'm thinking as I don't do this stuff for a living but I do know this really does go beyond who simply owns the game ...
    -> for free Vox mount, get any toon in trove to level 20 ...
    -> other stuff -- https://www.freegamekeys.com/rift/
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

  13. #178
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codeblue001 View Post
    $2 to $5 million is not bad and looks doable. You would only need 5000 players put down $1000 each.
    This will never ever happen.

    What could happen would be a single person with very deep pockets (maybe a fan who got lucky on the crypto boom) offering Gamigo a deal they can't refuse... though that'll be a LOT more than $5 Million. $100 Mil oughta do it. And the fan would be crazy to do it, but then, being a millionaire/billionaire is hardly a barrier to crazy.

    ... but I really doubt that'll happen either.

  14. #179
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Funny you say that. A couple years ago some player did actually try to buy Rift from Trion. I think someone stated it came out to like $5 million offered (could be wrong). Rift was sold to Gamigo as a package deal, but I believe someone estimated its piece of the pie value was around $2 million.
    It never was clear if the player who wanted to buy Rift from Trion made a legitimate offer or not.

    We don't even know exactly how much gamigo paid to buy the Trion games so there is no way to estimate how much they paid for Rift. They bought all the Trion games so Trion may not have even tried to assign a price to each game.

    Gamigo never did reveal the exact price they paid for the Trion games only that it was in the low tens of millions. That is a very vague description. My guess is that it could have ranged from $20 to $59 million.

  15. #180
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    107

    Default

    low tens means 20, 30. Not 50 and above. And considering where Trion was at that time there is no way Gamigo paid a lot of money for the company. Again Zornar trying to portray Trion as a successful company, trying to add numbers that are not there.
    There is nothing successful about taking money from Rift to invest in other games that die in the end. Just a wasted money. Instead of making a better Rift, they just killed it, and with it's money even didn't do anything good.

    If Trion was so successful and worth 50mil then Gamigo wouldn't just buy it and milk it. They would invest to keep the boat afloat. But just because they ain't doing ****, it means that they bought it max for 25-30mil, thus no need to invest, can just milk the games till they die. Anything more than 30mil, they wouldn't earn enough to get the money back by milking the games. They would need to invest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts