• 3 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By munchies24
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Wrastion
  • 2 Post By Zornar
  • 1 Post By Hotflashes

Thread: Casually firing staff.

Default Casually firing staff.

Disclaimer: I put Rift away on February. Nevertheless it's intriguing to know what went on lately.

So what's this thing with laying off Kerilar and Acalos? (are there even more we don't know of?)

Acalos, who was one of the most communicative representatives we had in recent times and showed alot of spirit to get things going (Manually fixing the dye bucket issues for hundrets of people in notime for example)

And DEV Kerilar, who was in the middle of finishing T3 related things, spawning bosses on pts and collecting feedback, are suddenly gone.
    (For now let's ignore the pts section, it was meant to provide feedback)

I am opening this due to a couple more detailed infos about how closely this incident resembles what happened to - for example Avatar, Rough Raptors and Dead Simon - being suddenly asked to leave while all being almost done in finishing major projects, all long anticipated by the playerbase.

Given the messed up code on Rift and how the GamyBryo engine was doctored into 64 bit, "Just having a new guy take over" really isn't an option.

Is Gamigo really expecting that laying off veteran members and have cheaper rookies taking over is a profitable decision or what's behind this form of management?

Does anyone have more infos on what's going on?
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Disclaimer: I put Rift away on February. Nevertheless it's intriguing to know what went on lately.

So what's this thing with laying off Kerilar and Acalos? (are there even more we don't know of?)

Acalos, who was one of the most communicative representatives we had in recent times and showed alot of spirit to get things going (Manually fixing the dye bucket issues for hundrets of people in notime for example)

And DEV Kerilar, who was in the middle of finishing T3 related things, spawning bosses on pts and collecting feedback, are suddenly gone.
    (For now let's ignore the pts section, it was meant to provide feedback)

I am opening this due to a couple more detailed infos about how closely this incident resembles what happened to - for example Avatar, Rough Raptors and Dead Simon - being suddenly asked to leave while all being almost done in finishing major projects, all long anticipated by the playerbase.

Given the messed up code on Rift and how the GamyBryo engine was doctored into 64 bit, "Just having a new guy take over" really isn't an option.

Is Gamigo really expecting that laying off veteran members and have cheaper rookies taking over is a profitable decision or what's behind this form of management?

Does anyone have more infos on what's going on?
    If I had to fashion a guess of what is going on with Kerilar and Planar Incursions, it was pretty much unanimous from what I have read and watched from player reviews that the entire system would need to be overhauled in order to work because the grind was excessive to the point where it would take years of grinding to get a maxed out set of gear. If Gamigo looks at any feedback, they probably decided rather than go with overhauling this system, they’d just cut their losses and silently can development on it - along with two Rift veterans that are no longer needed.

As for Rift in general, it is hard to say where it stands, especially with Gamigo just recently getting acquired by their primary shareholder, MGI. It is more than likely we are seeing the end of Rift within the next couple of years, if not within the next year.

All the “work” that Gamigo says they still have planned for this game is PR nonsense to try and keep the remaining player base happy and keep popular MMO press off their back. There is likely no new team taking over, but only a skeleton crew for server restarts that is focused on other IPs.

Just my thoughts from observing recent events.
    Last edited by munchies24; 03-29-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by munchies24 View Post
    If I had to fashion a guess of what is going on with Kerilar and Planar Incursions, it was pretty much unanimous from what I have read and watched from player reviews that the entire system would need to be overhauled in order to work because the grind was excessive to the point where it would take years of grinding to get a maxed out set of gear. If Gamigo looks at any feedback, they probably decided rather than go with overhauling this system, they’d just cut their losses and silently can development on it - along with two Rift veterans that are no longer needed.

As for Rift in general, it is hard to say where it stands, especially with Gamigo just recently getting acquired by their primary shareholder, MGI. It is more than likely we are seeing the end of Rift within the next couple of years, if not within the next year.

All the “work” that Gamigo says they still have planned for this game is PR nonsense to try and keep the remaining player base happy and keep popular MMO press off their back. There is likely no new team taking over, but only a skeleton crew for server restarts that is focused on other IPs.

Just my thoughts from observing recent events.
    Keri does not work for Gamigo anymore. Chances that the whole Palanar- t3 stuff goes in any direction are close to non now.

Ascendant

Im predicting there is no one new of any consequence coming on board, and they would rather have a CM added to manipulate the slack-jawed masses into continuously spending more money while actively letting the game go belly up.

Gamigo is a business, and Rift is (has been) most likely losing long-time players like Shas over the past couple of years. They have probably been in the works of killing off what skeleton crew there was and putting Rift on complete life support for the next 6 months or so (minus the support), milking it until they shut down for good. Thats my opinion.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by munchies24 View Post
    As for Rift in general, it is hard to say where it stands, especially with Gamigo just recently getting acquired by their primary shareholder, MGI.

Gamigo being acquired by MGI probably doesn't have much significance. I'm no business expert but it seemed like the head of gamigo wanted a different name that better described the overall business and maybe appealed more to investors. hence Media and Games Invest.

Gamigo and MGI are run by the same guy. Remco Westermann has been gamigo CEO since 2012 and MGI CEO since 2018. MarketScreener reports Westermann holds 33.5% of MGI stock valued at $203 million.

https://www.marketscreener.com/busin...7-E/biography/

They have this weird habit of (Rift) firing veteran staff who are one step away from finishing on important projects, sometimes years in the work- and cause those (expensive) projects to remain completely iced from that moment. What kind of politic is this, is there a plan behind it or simple mismanagement.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    They have this weird habit of (Rift) firing veteran staff who are one step away from finishing on important projects, sometimes years in the work- and cause those (expensive) projects to remain completely iced from that moment. What kind of politic is this, is there a plan behind it or simple mismanagement.
    All about profit. This is Gamigo, not Trion. It is a real shame too, because there are a lot of new players. With WOW turning into complete rubbish, casual players are fed up with the "hard core" content, and there isn't anything to do in ShadowLands.

Rift opens up a lot of solo/casual content for players.
    Last edited by Hotflashes; 03-30-2021 at 11:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread