+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: MGI buys another video game company

Prophet of Telara

Default MGI buys another video game company

Gamigo's parent company, MGI, recently announced they were spending $126 million to buy video game developer, KingsIsle Entertainment based in Texas.

MGI will also pay earnouts of up to $84 million depending of future profits. KingsIsle owns the popular MMOs, Wizard101 (released in 2008) and Pirate101 (released in 2012). KingsIsle also developed about a dozen mobile games, such as Animal Cove and Grub Guardian.

MGI thinks this is a "transformative" acquisition that will substantially increase MGI's profitability.

https://press.mgi.group/correction-o...m-share-issue#

Never heard of any of these games nor the company, not that that means anything. But reading this has made me feel even better about my decision to not purchase Battle Pass 6 nor support their empty tree planting cash grab promotion.

Thanx, Zornar!
    Last edited by Arthritis; 02-02-2021 at 05:01 PM.
    "In the MMO Rift, the players are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The Defiants who travelled back in time and The Guardians who are The Vigil's Chosen. These are their stories." <Dun! Dun!>

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post
    Never heard of any of these games nor the company, not that that means anything.
    I hadn't heard of them either. It seems that Wizard101 is a child friendly Harry Potter style game with parental controls and tightly moderated forums. I could see how that would be popular. They even hired Nick Jonas to write some of their background music.

Wikipedia reported that Wizard101 had about 50 million accounts by 2014.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    I hadn't heard of them either. It seems that Wizard101 is a child friendly Harry Potter style game with parental controls and tightly moderated forums. I could see how that would be popular. They even hired Nick Jonas to write some of their background music.

Wikipedia reported that Wizard101 had about 50 million accounts by 2014.
    Wizard101 is a card battler that is your atypical play for free to a certain point then purchase sections to play one at a time, like most “suck them in then pay to advance games”. Very similar to mobile game schemes that are “free”.

I dont see how this helps Rift. With Gamigo being successful as-is and needing to do next to nothing for Rift for years the only future indication, logically speaking, is the same. The lack of having to spend $$ on labor IS how they are so profitable.

Ive told you this. Ive worked for businesses my whole life. They set a budget and thats what you get for the year. We have seen the budget. Do a simple project. Go back three years and count the time in between patch notes. Tell us all the trend. Even worse, look at what the notes entail. Hope can be realistic, or completely unrealistic. Stop paying these people to do nothing (in practicality) with the game.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 01-26-2021 at 04:34 AM.

MGI buys another video game company-13.jpgMGI buys another video game company-10.jpgMGI buys another video game company-11.jpg

The CEO of the MGI told something on press conference, They are gonna create mobile game with those 2 titles, and add a content on monthly basis. Still they are not saying any word about Rift sadly. Their main goal is buying companies and making some kinda profit via creating mobile games or expanding some of the titles to other regions. Trove CBT gonna release on South Korea this week also.

They are still on hiring process on their linkedin + glasdoor but no one knows for which games or titles.

Gonna add some pictures about Revenue of those titles and such maybe some of you may interest,
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Omerr; 01-26-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post

I dont see how this helps Rift. With Gamigo being successful as-is and needing to do next to nothing for Rift for years the only future indication, logically speaking, is the same.

If Gamigo is profitable then it might help Rift. If they have lots of profits, they may put some into Rift.

The lack of having to spend $$ on labor IS how they are so profitable.

Wizard101 doesn't seem to be following that pattern because they are offering $84 million in incentives to managers and/or employees if the game earns a certain amount of profit in the next few years. It doesn't look like there will be mass layoffs as happened with Rift.

Stop paying these people to do nothing (in practicality) with the game.
    If players want to spend money on Rift, I see nothing wrong with it. Before computer games, people would spend money on pinball machines or video arcade games, like Pacman. All they might have to show for that was being on the High Scores list, for a while.

With Rift you can purchase soul packs, cosmetic items, etc. that can provide years of enjoyment.

Rift still has a huge amount of content and does make an effort to keep player interest with screenshot contests, new Battle Pass rewards, Call to Action events every 2 weeks and new items for the 4 World Events. I doubt there are very many players, if any, who have done everything in the game, earned every achievement, done every quest and collected every mount, pet, wardrobe item, artifact, title, minion card.and dimension item.

Ascendant

If Gamigo is profitable then it might help Rift. If they have lots of profits, they may put some into Rift.

Wizard101 doesn't seem to be following that pattern because they are offering $84 million in incentives to managers and/or employees if the game earns a certain amount of profit in the next few years. It doesn't look like there will be mass layoffs as happened with Rift.

If players want to spend money on Rift, I see nothing wrong with it. Before computer games, people would spend money on pinball machines or video arcade games, like Pacman. All they might have to show for that was being on the High Scores list, for a while.

With Rift you can purchase soul packs, cosmetic items, etc. that can provide years of enjoyment.

Rift still has a huge amount of content and does make an effort to keep player interest with screenshot contests, new Battle Pass rewards, Call to Action events every 2 weeks and new items for the 4 World Events. I doubt there are very many players, if any, who have done everything in the game, earned every achievement, done every quest and collected every mount, pet, wardrobe item, artifact, title, minion card.and dimension item.
    Companies dont throw money into games just because they earned money when its not necessary. You yourself have stated what revenue % Rift brought in and you HAVE seen what that has brought in. Nothing.

And no, there is not a lot of content since most of us have already played through what TRION created. You imply Gamigo has anything to do with all the content TRION created, which it does not. Something like 99.9% Id say. That statement that there is a lot of content only really holds true to brand new players.

Creating endless tasks like collections is a lazy way of doing things because it only interests very few people. They certainly spent more time creating artifacts then any other activity in game to which I criticized Trion for with how it was spending its resources.

The actual facts are Gamigo cant be bothered to fix current questlines, bugs, and even cheating exploits. With their acquisition of the aforementioned type of games all I can say is not surprised. You do realize we get ignored, blatantly so, even after doing all the research and giving them whats broken. As in your words and mine are meaningless to Gamigo. Again, hows that survey working out for us? Roadmap of anything anywhere? Communication at all? Zilch zero. You can make lemonade out of lemons because you have lemons. Weve nothing nor anyone promising zilch.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 01-26-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    Attachment 39507Attachment 39505Attachment 39506

Gonna add some pictures about Revenue of those titles and such maybe some of you may interest,
    The first graphic you posted is very interesting. Gamigo thinks Wizard101 has great untapped potential and will become a cash cow for them. Seems a lot to expect from a game that will celebrate its 13th anniversary this year but maybe they can pull it off.

The second graphic is too small to make out.

I would be interested in seeing more.

Ascendant

The first graphic you posted is very interesting. Gamigo thinks Wizard101 has great untapped potential and will become a cash cow for them. Seems a lot to expect from a game that will celebrate its 13th anniversary this year but maybe they can pull it off.

Wizard 101 is very pre-teen to teen friendly. It is a good bet to be a cash cow with kids getting parents to pay for their kids games which entertain them.

You can find those information on MGI main site actually, or just google it and check the news you can see those stuff easily its not that hard to find out.

Anyway I'm dropping the links so you can check it out the news about MGI ( Gamigo )
    https://tv.streamfabriken.com/press-...2021?seek=1039 ( MGI Press Conference about KingIsle acquisition )

Interview with MGI CEO Remco Westermann, About buyout KingIsle and financial state of company
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMmr...ature=youtu.be

New Buyouts via MGI,

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...re-2-32217024/

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...ns-3-32217058/

Trove Korea CBT,
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/media...556963328-9pEJ

Cheers,
    Last edited by Omerr; 01-27-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Colossus

How someone thinks he looks like in this forum:
    MGI buys another video game company-whiteknight-1-.jpg

How he really looks like to other forum users:
    MGI buys another video game company-whiteknight.jpg

Let's be straight to the point here, guys. As someone who has a degree in Business Informatic Systems and International Business Administration from a German institution and hailing from Germany, it is counterproductive to take a risk investing into a diminishing market just to please still paying customers.

However, if you refuse to maintain your product to a point where even your most die hard customers decide to move on, you are making a morally unacceptable decision. Even for German standards.

What Gamigo is doing with the announcements and financial reports is to attract investors. What is actually done in the background with the products, Gamigo (obviously) as well as potential investors have little to no genuine interest.

Wakanda forever!
    Last edited by RycoRobyn; 01-27-2021 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RycoRobyn View Post
    How someone thinks he looks like in this forum:
    Attachment 39512

How he really looks like to other forum users:
    Attachment 39511

Let's be straight to the point here, guys. As someone who has a degree in Business Informatic Systems and International Business Administration from a German institution and hailing from Germany, it is counterproductive to take a risk investing into a diminishing market just to please still paying customers.

However, if you refuse to maintain your product to a point where even your most die hard customers decide to move on, you are making a morally unacceptable decision. Even for German standards.

What Gamigo is doing with the announcements and financial reports is to attract investors. What is actually done in the background with the products, Gamigo (obviously) as well as potential investors have little to no genuine interest.

Wakanda forever!
    It's hard for some people to realize and also take some times. That is the main reason why I'm sharing those stuff, they can watch and read even if they dont believe me.

I fully agree with you also.

Colossus

I've got to admit, I quite admire how a business is able to grow by just acquiring new titles and doing very little with them. I honestly wonder where they get all this investment money from. I should have done business and economics...

Let me re-iterate I admire that business people can be so good at their job that they achieve things like this, but at the same time dignity and a respectable moral compass get's thrown out while achieving it.

On on another note, if I hear another comment like "well if they make money they might invest it back into Rift" I might throw myself out of a window. Unless you're happy for me to do it to you.

How can someone of an adult age come to this conclusion. They already have a ton of money!! If they wanted to invest it they would have by now!!
    Last edited by Refuge; 01-27-2021 at 04:33 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post

How can someone of an adult age come to this conclusion. They already have a ton of money!! If they wanted to invest it they would have by now!!
    Businessman RycoRobin in response #11 answered why they might eventually invest more into Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by RycoRobyn View Post

I came across a 2018 webpage article about Trion's sale to Gamigo, which offered some insightful observations:
    https://tagn.wordpress.com/2018/10/2...-trion-worlds/

"..when your investors tire of you not providing a level of return they expect, they will sell you on down the line...

In the end though, being small and nimble also means not making any mistakes. Blizzard has the mass to lumber through the ups and downs, but Trion Worlds had to get things right every step of the way or face imminent demise."

Gamigo is playing the same game of keeping their investors happy so the investment money keeps flowing in.

MGI buys another video game company-65e.jpg

Looking forward to the same special driver's license of you in 2024 with the same concept to the fact that still nothing will have been done for this game.

I understand you do not get the concept of basic common sense on the field of how to run a business due to your constant urge to rescue the damsel in distress (Gamigo), but if you could quit giving people false hope that maybe a little something could be done for this game after almost 3 years of nothing happening thanks to your dogmatic illusion of your princess (Gamigo) to be rewarding you with a candle light dinner one fine day, that would be great.

Well, unless you are getting paid for your forum posts. I would hate for anyone to lose their probably sole income during a pandemic.

Wakanda forever!
    Last edited by RycoRobyn; 01-27-2021 at 09:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast