+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By iputawigonyou
  • 1 Post By Eggs
  • 1 Post By Wrastion

Thread: Please rethink PvP starting gear costs and drop rate

Soulwalker

Default Please rethink PvP starting gear costs and drop rate

I came back to the game and tried pvp. The gear gap is insane, but that isn't the problem.

I had about 200k favor, so I did about 100k favor worth of matches. In all those matches i received: a cape. Then I bought 3 challenger's marks and discovered that one weapon costs four marks.

OK.

Gating entry level gear behind a favor to Challenger Mark conversion and a weekly Challenger Mark cap is a terrible idea. If there were nonstop queues and a healthy population, it would still be terrible.

You need to lower the costs on the starter gear and/or up the drop rate on it. You also need to take a look at the 6 Challenger Mark/week cap.

I scratched my nostalgia itch, so I doubt I'll be coming back. Making a few changes might help retain other new players, however.

~I

Rift Chaser

Not sure there is a large enough pvp player base left in the game for them to bother about it. PvP'ers often beg in chat for people to que pvp and/or complain about unbalanced teams due to lack of players.

there is no entry level pvp. what you get in the boxes and what you get on the rift store is the only pvp gear, with just a single upgrade tier, and not every slot has an upgrade. for some slots, you will want the box gear. for other slots you will want the store gear. the difference is minimal. in some slots lvl 65 raid gear is actually BiS for pvp (because of dream orbs). make sure all gear that can be runed/dream orbed is runed/dream orbed. use recon vials and mercenary insoles (it is worth sacrificing the favor for those consumables in the long run. you will be able to play to win better, therefore win more often and gain more favor faster).

the biggest area of disparity and grind is the fragments, which is a whole other thread.

if you want to speed the grind, you have to play to win the match, which is an entirely different thing to winning the fight. the more you win, the more favor and boxes you get. the more boxes, the more gear and frags.
    if you run in planning to try to win the fight first, then try to win the match second, you will lose, get less rewards, take longer to gear, and perform less well in the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Default ...

So your response to his point about costs being to high and drops too infrequent was to buy more stuff, buy additional consumable stuff, and wait for drops?

Let me guess: you bunnyhop when fighting ranged targets, amirite?

LoL.

Anyway he gave a bunch of rex and stuff away a couple days ago, so i guess he's gone so it doesn't really matter any more.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Eggs View Post
    So your response to his point about costs being to high and drops too infrequent was to buy more stuff, buy additional consumable stuff, and wait for drops?

Let me guess: you bunnyhop when fighting ranged targets, amirite?

LoL.

Anyway he gave a bunch of rex and stuff away a couple days ago, so i guess he's gone so it doesn't really matter any more.
    He just gave advice on how to not make the pvp-****** not hurt so much. Hes also right in that your better off not actually pvping per say but simply building a spec to perform/take/keep points and focus on winning the match vs....pvping. Then you get gear and favor at a more quick pace. Its part of how they screwed up things a while ago. While I understand tactics are a fun part of pvp, and objectives encourage tactics, somehow this game messed that up with the amount of time you would have to be focused on pure winning at the expense of doing what your desiring to do-pvping. They've screwed this up a lot I used to have to actively pve to finally compete in pvp due to gearing up.

The real answer is nothing is going to change. 99% of forum posts are completely ignored, so in reality we are simply talking to ourselves. Ive accepted this and no longer play because I enjoy competition and uniqueness in game play, which you completely wont have when a game is left in maintenance mode and what is unbalanced will remain and be over played until the very end. Once I realized the frags made huge differences, and my gear started to catch up with my skill, I got bored. I also saw you could get fragged up in a week if you pay for the mats, and after a year of pvping I still didnt have half my frags maxxed, which I call p2w. Several EU players came over to NA at one point and were statistically hitting harder then 95% of everyone else. Paid to max frags, and also, Plus was most definitely cheating. Reported by multiple people, but never looked into due to no one left to do that.

Bunnyhopping works on melee, especially if you hop backwards and keep turning side to side to always keep facing those nasty speeding melee players trying to take advantage of facing requirements. No clue why you would on a ranged player.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 09-09-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggs View Post
    my major point was addressing his misunderstanding that the gear he was getting being was - in his words - "starter gear" when the actuality is that for pvp, that was top endgame BiS gear.

this was then followed by advice on how to speed the grind.

the consumables i recommended make a huge difference. there are other consumables too, but those ones in particular will have the biggest impact.

bunny hopping is FUN!
    but not effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Bunnyhopping works on melee, especially if you hop backwards and keep turning side to side to always keep facing those nasty speeding melee players trying to take advantage of facing requirements. No clue why you would on a ranged player.
    at some point they added code so that moving increased your hitbox, and jumping increased it even more.
    bunny hopping even against melee can be detrimental.
    doesnt stop it being fun, even against ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

+ Reply to Thread