+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Zojah
  • 5 Post By Ambrodel
  • 1 Post By Andracleric
  • 1 Post By dyxlexic

Thread: Returning Player, Returning to... What?

Default Returning Player, Returning to... What?

After a long absence of playing MMO's, I gave WoW a try (which by the way is incredibly trivial in that healing Classes have at most 4 abilities).

WoW really does not fit as a "Fun MMO", so I decided to fire up the ol' Glyph launcher and install RIFT.

Straight away I'm feeling back at home, the Hybrid Class system is great, the abilities are great. The gameplay is great. Albeit, I've seen Tanks Solo healing experts which is definitely not right

The end-content right now seems really, really nerfed. With a MASSIVE Solo grind to get BiS gear (intel and footholds, eh?).

I joined a PUG for TDEM and with no voice comms, we cleared it in approx. 10 minutes. All a it underwhelming if I'm honest.

The featured Challenge Dungeon seems full of players trying to exploit the first boss. This would never have happened in the past, with it being patched near instantly / disabled until fixed.

Speaking to players, there hasn't been any new endgame content for 3 years.

What is the plan for new content? I am more than happy to sink many more countless hours into this game, but not if it's just in "maintenance mode". What are the plans for new content?

Is there a road map publicly posted anywhere like before?

I know the game had an acquisition by Gamigo, but this game still has some serious potential almost 10-years after launch, if it receives some investment into end-game. I know a bunch of hardcore players that would for sure return if the content does.

I for one would gladly pre-order an expansion in an instant if new end-game was included...
    Last edited by Zojah; 07-11-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zojah View Post
    I gave WoW a try (which by the way is incredibly trivial in that healing Classes have at most 4 abilities).
    You're healing very easy content then. Like LFR where you can pretty much watch a movie on the other screen while sort of afking the run and still keep everyone alive. Most healers have 10+ abilities that are actually USED in combat, depending on situation they also NEED those 10+ abilities.

I've seen Tanks Solo healing experts which is definitely not right
    Yeah... But welcome back to Rift. This is what happens when we have nothing better to do.

I joined a PUG for TDEM and with no voice comms, we cleared it in approx. 10 minutes. All a it underwhelming if I'm honest.
    TDEM is quite literally the same as LFR in WoW. It is meant to be, intended to be, designed to be, super easy for most people. If you are even remotely good at this game, it will be easy as hell. EM stands for Easy Mode for a reason. TDNM on the other hand, that one will provide you with slightly more of a challenge.

What is the plan for new content?
    Gamigo doesn't want to tell us. But they pretend new stuff is coming, we just have to Please Wait Some More.
    I am more than happy to sink many more countless hours into this game, but not if it's just in "maintenance mode".
    It is, despite the above mentioned promises.
    Is there a road map publicly posted anywhere like before?
    Nope. Because Gamigo doesn't want to tell us ANYTHING about the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Rift Chaser

Default Hey Zojah- nice to see you- but nope- same old same old...

Hi Zojah-

I am one of the old timers so I remember you. In a nutshell- nothing has changed. Population remains low, no new content, and no new Producer's letter. Don't look for one any time soon. The only "content" thus far has been fluff. That is OK- the lights are on. Unlike you I enjoy WoW although BFA is stale right now- as we are waiting on a new expansion. At least the new content keeps coming, and the cinematics are amazing. Rift is still a beautiful game- but we have to be content with what it is. Keep checking cross-events- it is the best way to play right now.

-Andra

Shadowlander

IF you find healing in WOW to be trivial,,not sure what u r doing....Higher end mythics with the ever changing Affixes make healing quite challenging. As for the future of RIFT,,u can believe the hopefuls and continue to believe there is a rabbit hole full of new content coming like the world bosses. I consider the world bosses as an attempt from Gamigo to shut people up for a few months but just my Opinion. When the endgame raid is no longer "can we finish this" and becomes "how fast can we finish this", its a serious sign the game is in need of some love,,,I dont think Gamigo is giving out any of that. The focus seems to be the Cash shop. Just my 2 cents but to me,,,its screams Maintenance mode

The sad part is that the game engine itself has went through so many changes and the servers as well that I don't even think Rift can handle a big population of players anymore. It lags even now and this is a VERY VERY low pop MMO.

This can be one of the biggest reasons why the devs don't want to build much playable content. Rift has amazing potential but even 10 years from now even with the old Trion devs you will still say the same thing. Unfortunately, most devs rather rebuild a new game with inspirations taken from older MMO's than to keep improving on an older game that has a weak backbone either server or engine related.

Rift is definitely one of the MMO's that other game companies should look towards for inspiration. Rift devs did with past MMO's but they didn't develop two key features. They did not do scalable content where instance scale based on player amount and player level. This would have made all content playable if done right. Even the very first dungeons would be played by level 70s solo and be sort of a challenge. They also didn't do server instances right. Other games allowed you to switch between all world servers and play with everyone. These are very important features that MMO's developers shouldn't even consider developing without.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 07-12-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Plane Touched

Flashmemory: probably Gamigo (or was it Trion?) moved the game from actual, physical, dedicated servers to virtualized instances, using the least amount of resources (and thus, the cheapest price) to keep the game running. That said, if they felt the need, they could probably pay for beefier virtualized hardware if the user demand (and their income) warranted it.

Probably any revamp of Rift would be a total rewrite, since I'm not sure the old code even exists anymore. Still, you could save a lot of time/resources by using existing art assets (converting as desired) and other data, which would also give you the chance to revamp systems and otherwise improve the game. It's about as likely to happen as winning a major prize in a lottery at this point (Gamigo selling to another company, etc etc), but it's technically doable.

+ Reply to Thread