+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Battlepass experience requirement has doubled

Default Battlepass experience requirement has doubled

They've upped the exp required from 10000 per level to 20000 per level. This is going to make the non-patron margins to complete very tight.

My back of the envelope math shows non-patron total exp at between 384000 (RNG with all 1000exp dailies and 8000exp weeklies) to 900000 (all 3000exp dailies and 10000exp weeklies).

Exp needed is 580000. So if you get unlucky, you might not complete it even if you do every quest every day.

This may be too much, I like how the battlepass system worked before.
    I did the quests I could do fairly easily and then once I got to max level, that's when I actually paid for it. But looking at the new xp required, I might not be able to get to max level and that means I will not pay for the pass.
    I think doubling the xp needed is a really bad move, and will probably result in the lowest BP sales to date.

And without YARET, this is even harder!
    Last edited by Valnia; 04-02-2020 at 08:28 PM.

I agree the xp needed is just way to high. I liked it last go-round as well. Crossing my fingers I can get it done

Plane Walker

I have 8k worth of dailies today and 25k worth of weeklies this week, so my napkin math came to the same conclusion as OP's did: if I do every single available quest and miss literally nothing, I might just barely complete this. Given that I'm pretty sure I won't be able to complete every single quest (PvP, puzzles locked behind artifact sets, MoM Intrepids that pretty much don't exist, etc.), I have no hope of completing this. If I push hard I might get to level 20-25, but more realistically 15-20. The reward for that is a few dim items and the more common half of an artifact set (this artifact set doesn't seem to be in the game's artifact listing yet, and the previous BP artifact set rewards aren't displayed anyway).

Completing Nightmare Coast on Standard difficulty took me about 15 minutes for 2k exp, which seems pretty normal as far as exp/time goes. That's 8k per hour. Weeklies are more along the lines of 7 Experts for 10k or 5 TT runs for 8k, which is about 1500 exp per count, and each one takes 15-20 minutes (best case). That's 4-6k per hour. Add those all up and that's 80-100 hours. Are some quests easier than average? Sure: collecting a minion adventure, for example. Unfortunately, some are harder.

Need to complete experts? You might be waiting in a queue or LFM in chat for hours.

Need TT runs? I hope you can convince a group to do it, or the event won't exist.

Need PvP goals? Getting the queue to pop should be a quest on its own, to say nothing of the actual quest.

Need Temple of Ananke (or get it in random)? I hope your entire team doesn't crash at Killthraxus (STILL NOT FIXED SINCE RELEASE).

Need to complete the puzzle in City Core? You need to collect a rare artifact set just to unlock it.

Need to complete some quests in Intrepid Adventures... in MoM? No.

During this season's Battle Pass, I won't Battle, but...

(_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

I will Pass.

Sword of Telara

Releasing impossible to do content in the eyes of most the playerbase is like cutting the body from the head of your playerbase. Not a good idea. Just saying.

There's a couple of things to note why I think it may have been changed:

- Battle passes (like in most other games it's based on) are supposed to have you do tasks in a limited time frame and then you get exclusive rewards when you complete it. This is how it should be, but passes (once there are enough of them) need to be cycled through so people who missed out on the first round will at least have a chance to get the rewards later down the road.

- They likely want to time gate it just a bit so that people aren't just burning through it in 2-3 weeks like you could before and then complain that there's nothing else to do which is always an ongoing complaint. This gives you plenty to do if you so wish to and will keep people busy while whatever else they have worked on is patched in cough cough Fortress sieges.

That being said, the EXP rewarded needs to be higher if you're going to double the amount required or you revert it back so that every level is only 10k. F2P players are still (for the most part) purchasing the pass and not being able to finish it even after doing every quest everyday/week is unacceptable.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Plane Walker

agree, the rewards are and should be exclusive rewards in a limited time frame. the doubling of xp required makes sense, it makes you have to use credits to reroll quests that you can't complete i.e. zone event not triggering because low population. cha-ching. But it is done in the wrong way. You want people to stay on the grind but not get burnt out nor burn through battle pass very quickly. so introduce tiered xp values. say 0-10 = 10k , 10-20 = 15k , 20-30 = 20k. if you were to miss a few it wouldn't matter, you could make it up. atm it is you either do it everyday like a chore to get the item or you miss out.

but yay BP3 whoop
    Last edited by Killerloose; 04-03-2020 at 02:58 AM.

agreed..

The time to complete has been heavily reduced, which is a good idea.. no one likes to finish it and then have nothing to do for AGES (it has been nearly 6 months since I finished BP2!)

Doubling the XP needed at the same time seems like too hard of a hammer. at least quest XP should be slightly increased to compensate.

But I'm sure you guys are looking at graphs and comparing sales and participation. I only hope that you make the right decisions to give EVERY player at least a chance to get the rewards they want.. cos at the moment, this battle pass is aimed towards a very niche group of players that have the time and the ability to do every single quest.. you have completely alienated anyone who doesn't do group content, doesn't do PVP or even is simply a new low level player wanting to join in.

I think the 20k XP requirement per level is regrettably unreasonable given two major factors of 1. significantly reduced time to complete the battle pass and 2. no boost to quest-XP gains.

I think the broader selection of BP rewards and the scaling of rewards introduced in this pass is reasonable given the chronological and linear nature of a BP's progression system.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid the argument that shortening the BP's length so that you're not left with "nothing to do" for a long time does not stand unless developers announce they are increasing the pace of battle pass roll-out. Meaning, a two month battle pass will not satisfy this argument if it still takes 6 months between passes.

Until we know what the latest rate of battle pass releases will be in this new paradigm, one cannot reasonably make the argument that the shortened time for completion will satisfy their daily content urges or potential boredom as implied in some of the threads above.

What's more, regardless of how anyone feels about any of the changes, it is now true that you cannot complete this battle pass at your own leisurely pace (if you are anything less than an every-single-day board-clearer). Meaning, the way this BP is structured essentially forces players to grind it hard, and grind it fast, eliminating the choice for players to pace their BP experience. Again, if one's retort to this is "well, it will give me something to do without being bored for months," please review the above paragraphs, and also consider that staking the freedoms of all players on the whims of boredom of a few players may not be the argument you want to make.

Please also consider the fundamental emotional resonance of any gaming experience that really should be the leading indicator of player experiences - does this new paradigm feel fun? And is it more or less fun that the previous?

In my view, grinding twice as hard for half the time does not feel fun. In fact, for me, it's kind of hurtful. If I could suggest anything immediate and conciliatory it would be a down-the-middle compromise of either lowering the XP requirement to 15k or buffing the quest-XP gains by 50%.

Thank you

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lubisga View Post
    I think the 20k XP requirement per level is regrettably unreasonable given two major factors of 1. significantly reduced time to complete the battle pass and 2. no boost to quest-XP gains.
    I don't know why they had to slash the completion time to under 2 months. It seemed rushed to start Battle Pass April 2nd, the same day Carnival of the Ascended ended. The end date of May 28 seems unrealistic.

Summerfest didn't start until July 18 last year so why not let Battlepass run until July?

Are they going to try and squeeze another major event in during June and the first half of July?

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    I don't know why they had to slash the completion time to under 2 months. It seemed rushed to start Battle Pass April 2nd, the same day Carnival of the Ascended ended. The end date of May 28 seems unrealistic.

Summerfest didn't start until July 18 last year so why not let Battlepass run until July?

Are they going to try and squeeze another major event in during June and the first half of July?
    This feels more than a little bit like a way to pressure people who would like the completion reward but who can't do every quest to pay for both patron and the BP.
    ~ Hana ~ Thorn ~ Mirceliade ~ Zondria ~ Amatsoni ~
    <Mythical Creatures> @Laethys

Yeah the exp needed sucks but also I don't even think the rewards are as good as normal ?

Is it just me?

Soulwalker

Default Battle Pass

There has been an on going conversation in game about the issues of both doubling the required xp, and reducing the time available to get it done. While I believe it is a good idea to shorten the time they run for in order to get several released throughout the year is a great idea, as I personally enjoy having the battle pass, I do not believe that increasing the xp required at the same time was a good move. The xp should be reduced back to 10k xp per lvl and then reassess this on the next battle pass and adjust from there.
    Last edited by Korin786; 04-03-2020 at 12:54 PM.

I think they need to relook over this again. Having it doubled with so short of time I think not a great idea if they want to sell more battle pass not less.

Plane Walker

The sad part is that this change hurts non-Patrons who paid the $10 for the Battle Pass just as much as those who didn't. Those customers won't be able to actually unlock all those rewards unless they also purchase Patron. It reminds me of the old Planewalker: Water nonsense, where you'd finish a quest or dungeon but then not be able to equip the rewards you earned until you paid up. But both BP and Patron are already cash purchases, on top of completing BP quests in the first place, so it's less like paying to use quest rewards (one of the many gaffes that ruined Rift's "no tricks, no traps" promise in NMT) and more like paying extra to get something you already bought.

Why require two separate microtransactions? It goes past nickel-and-diming and into inconvenience. Should've just removed the Patron BP benefits, charged $35 or so for BP, and included two months of Patron for "free" instead of making it possible for customers to buy something they can't actually receive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast