+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 59 of 59
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Do people still play this game?

  1. #46
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Can I see evidence of this "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content" because its a load of poppy socks. Until you post this evidence anything you basically say is just you imagining it and believing something that never happens. Ever.

    No one playing this game DOESN'T want new content. Some folks playing this game are just able to still enjoy it as it is whether there is new content or not. There's a difference (perhaps a very fine one) but accepting this difference might stop the "fake news" vibe some folks like to feed just to have things/folks to blame.
    Every time people complain about the lack of content there's a dimensioneer or costumer or mount collector who insists that their fluff is content and this game has the best player housing system and on and on. They don't want new content; they want new fluff - they just think fluff is content because they don't know what kind of game they're playing. There's always a contrarian who says "this is fine" at any complaint about the game, even now.

    For more on what I think of dimensions: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...dy-gamigo.html
    Last edited by TigerhawkT3; 04-11-2020 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #47
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    I don't remember any players "shouting down anyone who asked for more content." All players want more new content.
    All players think they want more content, but what some of them actually want is more fluff. They think their fluff should be considered content in an MMORPG.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    I raised two characters to maximum level for free in GW2 and played hundreds of hours so it has lots and lots of F2P content. Rift is not completely F2P either if you include the BPs and other premium content such as special minion missions..
    GW2 has some free content. It is not a F2P game. The latest expansions must be purchased to play their content. It is a B2P game. Rift started P2P, went F2P, went briefly B2P with the launch of SFP, and then went back to F2P. It's still F2P even with BP and "premium content such as special minion missions" because those things aren't content. They are fluff. Getting a new dimension item by healing yourself 350 times while flagged for PvP isn't content or a new activity. Minion missions also aren't content. Remember, Rift is an MMORPG. Content means things like zones, quests, raids, dungeons, warfronts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    It is not logical to attribute all of Rift's success to dungeons and raids just because that is your favorite part of the game..
    That's what people played Rift for: a WoW clone with some interesting new systems. The raids and dungeons slowed down while the fluff accelerated, and people started dropping out. Of course, it's possible that some of the reason for the decline in population was that the content wasn't fun, but that's a more difficult problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    At its zenith Rift also focused on "fluff aspects" of the game too such as world events, artifacts, wardrobe, mounts, pets, etc. At Rift launch, they had the first World Event, Carnival of the Ascended. That greatly impressed me.
    It's always had fluff, but the focus was on content. That's what keeps people playing games. With a F2P game, the idea is to keep producing content that people want to play and offering it for free, and players end up buying some fluff here or there.

  3. #48
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    Whenever you say something negative or constructive Tiger came with a answer and blow your mind. I dont know how high he is but he has so many answers on his mind at least. Maybe he has some kinda roadmap for Rift on his mind as well.

    Note: I dont even know you tho but for a god sake please stop.
    You want me to stop having answers for things? That's kind of difficult. I have a brain whether I want it or not. If you mean you want me to stop posting things, you always have the option of visiting my profile and adding me to your ignore list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyedanpol View Post
    He is simply good at context manipulation, after all, Its hard to prove a negative.
    Context for that: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5390351

    Someone was saying that BP has no bugged quests because there's always the chance that they're completable in some way, such as killing crabs by farming a specific unit in a specific dungeon that doesn't look at all like a crab, or rolling a new character and getting a summon to an area where you can kill crabs and actually get credit for it. If fulfilling a quest's listed requirements isn't completing it, then it's bugged. The idea that maybe there is some way to complete it is technically true, but the problem then becomes finding that way, which might involve an infinite combination of activities. This is the classic difficulty of proving a negative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    I can agree defending a company at some point but what he do is just speculation by himself and blaming players etc.
    When did I defend a company?

  4. #49
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Every time people complain about the lack of content there's a dimensioneer or costumer or mount collector who insists that their fluff is content and this game has the best player housing system and on and on. They don't want new content; they want new fluff - they just think fluff is content because they don't know what kind of game they're playing. There's always a contrarian who says "this is fine" at any complaint about the game, even now.

    For more on what I think of dimensions: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...dy-gamigo.html
    You do understand Dimensioneers benefit from new content also right?

    You do also understand that people who collect fluff the most are typically raiders/completionists doing it all?

    Although I still do not see any proof of "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content" I'll continue engaging because your perception is so janky. No one is doing that, they are defending their own enjoyment regardless of updates. Can you see the difference yet?

    Probably not but one last thought.

    The difference between Dimensioneers or any creative sector in the world or a game is they don't need to rely on the math/design of a game (etc) to create new content for themselves they can use everything they already have where as a raider cannot without the introduction of new design (etc.)

    A new event brings new building materials. A new event is content. Dimensions are content.

    I know I know, hard to bite into for some stubbornly refusing to believe it but it's true - whether you like it or not.

  5. #50
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    You do understand Dimensioneers benefit from new content also right?

    You do also understand that people who collect fluff the most are typically raiders/completionists doing it all?

    Although I still do not see any proof of "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content" I'll continue engaging because your perception is so janky. No one is doing that, they are defending their own enjoyment regardless of updates. Can you see the difference yet?

    Probably not but one last thought.

    The difference between Dimensioneers or any creative sector in the world or a game is they don't need to rely on the math/design of a game (etc) to create new content for themselves they can use everything they already have where as a raider cannot without the introduction of new design (etc.)

    A new event brings new building materials. A new event is content. Dimensions are content.

    I know I know, hard to bite into for some stubbornly refusing to believe it but it's true - whether you like it or not.
    The vocal dimensioneers believe that dimensions are the content.

    Yes, people who collect fluff are typically people who do actual content. That is why putting actual content into the game allows it to maintain a healthy population of paying customers. Those who don't care about the MMORPG aspect and just want housing and costumes are rare.

    If dimensioneers defended their enjoyment of dimensions without intruding on the possibility of getting actual new content over the last few years, it'd be okay, but people who wanted content kept getting dismissed as entitled whiners while fluff users were very enthusiastic about fluff. Trion liked the praise, and they liked the price tags. This praise continues even today, even in this thread, and the price tags are still there. This feedback loop brought Rift to where it is today.

    I know you're determined to dismiss anything I say that impugns things like events, dimensions, and building materials, but this is how Rift's former creative director describes content vs fluff:

    We are not locking our content behind paywalls. Every continent, every quest, every raid, and every dungeon is completely free. You can play to level 60 with no restrictions on your ability to level.

    The things that new users that have never tried Rift before will have to pay to unlock is a pretty short list. If you want access to more storage space, more wardrobe slots, and more role slots you can buy each of those individually. The additional four souls that came with Storm Legion are also a separate purchase – however all of the classic souls are available completely for free.
    And elsewhere:

    All of our content is available completely for free: every quest, every chronicle, every dungeon, every continent, every level, and every raid. You can level to 60 without spending a dime. You can earn the best gear in the game without giving us a credit card. No tricks; no traps.

    The RIFT Store will have a variety of boosts available to increase your XP gain or token gain -- but these are just accelerations of things you can already earn. We will also be offering mounts, costumes, treasure boxes, storage space, more role slots, more wardrobe slots, and a slew of services.

    We will also have gear for sale. Our guidelines for gear on the store are generally as follows: The best gear in the game must be earned and high-level items on the store must also be available to be earned in-game.
    Last edited by TigerhawkT3; 04-13-2020 at 04:06 PM.

  6. #51
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,948

    Default

    You still have not proven anywhere that anyone (pver, pvper or dimensioneer) has actually been part of your "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content" statement.

    In fact you are digging your heels in needing to widen the subject to get a hook since that one missed making out folks intruded on something like ya'll own some part of the game and everything is segregated which is just an indication of maturity I think because obviously many folks who also enjoy dimensions have raided and pvped in this game and others. Shocking right? Oh boy.

    Seriously though my only goal entering this thread is to ensure that folks new to this forum or returning (like the OP is) don't believe your close minded pov because you keep linking things that don't back up what you ranted about in the first place and are spiraling on a mission to prove nothing that really matters when all that matters is EVERYONE would love new content.

    The end.

    Why dwell on anything else? It is such a waste of good time.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLexi View Post
    Hi guys, Im an old player I played for years with 3 maxed toons, but then I stopped playing for years. Basically Im back and I want to create a new charter and start over again but Im scared, is there still people in this game? Will I struggle to find groups for places like TDez and things like that? Whats the community like? Should I make the effort or is this game dead and I should just move on? I loved this game before but non of my old friends play anymore. Im scared.
    Back to the actual subject.

    I hope they are too busy having fun finding out for themselves in game understanding forums is but a small part of the entirety of this games continuing community.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 04-13-2020 at 07:55 PM.

  7. #52
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    You still have not proven anywhere that anyone (pver, pvper or dimensioneer) has actually been part of your "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content" statement.
    From the link I already posted (someone telling Gamigo to advertise Rift as a fluff game and not an MMORPG) to you insisting that fluff is content, I'm pretty sure I've done that. Also see the regular contests for mounts, dimensions, and costumes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    In fact you are digging your heels in needing to widen the subject to get a hook since that one missed making out folks intruded on something like ya'll own some part of the game and everything is segregated which is just an indication of maturity I think because obviously many folks who also enjoy dimensions have raided and pvped in this game and others. Shocking right? Oh boy.
    I don't know why you're conflating an observation of intrusion with a claim of ownership. That seems like a strawman and I'm gonna go ahead and skip to the next paragraph.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Seriously though my only goal entering this thread is to ensure that folks new to this forum or returning (like the OP is) don't believe your close minded pov because you keep linking things that don't back up what you ranted about in the first place and are spiraling on a mission to prove nothing that really matters when all that matters is EVERYONE would love new content.
    What closed-minded point of view would that be? That Rift is in maintenance mode? That's an objective fact; Gamigo specializes in that and Rift is obviously no exception to that strategy. That Rift's development shift from regularly creating content to only pumping out fluff and the fluff player echo chamber cheering this on killed the game? Well, I do admit that that's somewhere between an opinion and a hypothesis. Am I ranting? That, too, is an opinion to which you're entitled.

    Can you point out how the links I provide aren't relevant?

    Not everyone would love new content. A good chunk of Rift's current playerbase is happy buying fluff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Back to the actual subject.

    I hope they are too busy having fun finding out for themselves in game understanding forums is but a small part of the entirety of this games continuing community.
    Just as the forum is a small part of this game's player base, the people who are having fun with Rift's fluff are a small part of the people who used to play Rift for the reliable stream of engaging new content. I think Rift was better when fluff was something players could choose to buy while they experienced that content.

  8. #53
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,948

    Default

    So someone is saying to advertise Dimensions because it really is unique - no other online game has building like this even in 2020 and you consider it the "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content?"

    ...

    I've given as much insight as I can give on what you might perceive as that but your responses above just continues to highlight that you are missing a lot of points. I am also not reading everything you are typing to everyone else. I do not have that much time or patience.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 04-13-2020 at 09:49 PM.

  9. #54
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    So someone is saying to advertise Dimensions because it really is unique - no other online game has building like this even in 2020 and you consider it the "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content?"

    ...

    I've given as much insight as I can give on what you might perceive as that but your responses above just continues to highlight that you are missing a lot of points. I am also not reading everything you are typing to everyone else. I do not have that much time or patience.
    Nor do I. Bye.

  10. #55
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default My verdict after roughly 2 weeks being back. (150 hours)

    I can say that the community isnt dead, its still pretty busy. I was doing a dungeon with 2 friends we were under level 20 heavily under geared for the scenario haha so I thought I would put it to the test, I sent a message asking if anyone could help us and I got around 40 messages in about 30 seconds. The guy that helped was patient and nice and he even made sure we each got to tag the mob before killing him. He answered all the questions we had and it was an all round great experience. Im very tankful to you if you if you are reading this.

    So far my friend had made 3 brand new toons and he has people helping him every day with crafting related questions, even giving him some stuff that he wasnt able to find himself, I speak for all 3 of us when I say this gaming community is still how I remember..... few weird guys talking **** in the chat a little bit and a bunch of nice peeps willing to help, I see loads of raid call outs all day long and crifts, DRRs etc.

    Lets get two thing straight, is it as busy as it was 4 years ago? No. Is it busy enough to do any content I like any time I like? Yes, if i decide to make a TDEZ run right now I will get around 50 messages saying you are ready to go. We still have for the most part a very nice community. 1st hand experience right here.

    When I wake up every day I cant wait to get back into Rift its all I think about and Im pleased to be back. Thanks for all the messages. To anyone out there reading this, if you are thinking about playing, just do it, there will be negativity in any game its the nature of the beast, there is a balance though so dont be discouraged. Hope you guys have a nice day, see you in game haha.
    Last edited by PrincessLexi; 04-22-2020 at 04:41 AM.

  11. #56
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    The vocal dimensioneers believe that dimensions are the content.



    If dimensioneers defended their enjoyment of dimensions without intruding on the possibility of getting actual new content over the last few years, it'd be okay, but people who wanted content kept getting dismissed as entitled whiners while fluff users were very enthusiastic about fluff. Trion liked the praise, and they liked the price tags. This praise continues even today, even in this thread, and the price tags are still there. This feedback loop brought Rift to where it is today.
    You offer no solid proof that dimensioneers' praise influenced Rift developers not to add new dungeons, raids, etc. It is just your own speculation.


    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    The vocal dimensioneers believe that dimensions are the content.
    I know you're determined to dismiss anything I say that impugns things like events, dimensions, and building materials, but this is how Rift's former creative director describes content vs fluff:


    And elsewhere:

    It is just false that the two, 2013 Rift statements you quoted talked about "content vs. fluff." Neither of those statements mentioned the word "fluff" or dimensions. We don't know if Rift owners make a distinction between content and fluff like you do.

  12. #57
    Champion of Telara caduto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    aww Princesslexi I'm so glad you are having a good time
    Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely message to all potential returning players, your thoughts are echoed by pretty much all the returning/new players I have spoken to!

    Happy hunting!

  13. #58
    Plane Touched Lyedanpol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    289

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Nor do I. Bye.
    Like watching a fox in the middle of the forest eating itself eh, Chaos Reigns?

    you're absolutely right though, I still think you're wrong about the Individual Reward Charges thing though.

    OkNiceTalkingToYouByeSeeYouLater

  14. #59
    Rift Chaser ShayolGhul88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    315

    Default Hnnghhh

    People used to be banned for the replies I've seen lol myself included. Come a long way from Trion's "justice".
    I'm thinking try it out again, knowing full well the state of the game from what it was to now. I like Tigerhawk's points, Trion did start making cosmetics its number one and it cost dearly.
    Anyways see y'all soon in-game. The thought of relearning specs and dungeons sounds okay.
    Pls respond

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts