+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Do people still play this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Wackywoo View Post
    Fluff is content though.

It was created by someone and added to the game. It didn't just appear out of nowhere.
    Even WOW is adding mounts and such on a monthly basis but what we got is nothing as a content. WOW is releasing content mostly for the playerbase but what about Rift ?

I'm not saying adding costume and such is bad. Of course they should earn profit but if you want profit you should add a content as well...

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Scubah View Post
    I enjoy disappointing POS people like you so much that I can't help myself. I'm not posting as much as I planned and I'm not currently playing Rift so at least your suffering is minimal. Maybe look forward to how much of a ****wad you can be moving forward.
    At least I actually play the game, and I don't waste support's time, shill on the forum for competitors, or swear and rage at other posters.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Trion stopped producing content and concentrated with a laser-like focus on fluff....And then nearly everyone freaking left and Trion dumped their IP to avoid bankruptcy. And here we are. Most of those who remain aren't interested in an MMORPG. They just want to buy a different hue of budgie. Thanks, people who just want to buy a different hue of budgie! You've successfully plunged the game into maintenance mode.
    That seems contradictory. First you blame Trion for most players leaving. Then you blame the players who stayed because they enjoy the fluff.

I've tried several other Rift-type F2P games and Rift is far more F2P then any others that I have tried. Guild Wars 2 is very popular but you have to pay for a lot of the content, a decent amount of bank space and even the ability to use a mount.

I disagree with your denigration of fluff. Rift had lots of fluff from the very beginning with their big World Events, puzzles, cairns, pets. artifacts, mounts, novelty items, etc. Fluff added later, such as Dimensions and Minions seem extremely popular.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    That seems contradictory. First you blame Trion for most players leaving. Then you blame the players who stayed because they enjoy the fluff.

I've tried several other Rift-type F2P games and Rift is far more F2P then any others that I have tried. Guild Wars 2 is very popular but you have to pay for a lot of the content, a decent amount of bank space and even the ability to use a mount.

I disagree with your denigration of fluff. Rift had lots of fluff from the very beginning with their big World Events, puzzles, cairns, pets. artifacts, mounts, novelty items, etc. Fluff added later, such as Dimensions and Minions seem extremely popular.
    How is it contradictory? Trion lost sight of what makes people actually play MMORPGs, which is content, and focused on things with price tags, which was fluff. The people who were only here for the fluff were very vocal apologists for every decision. "I'm a dimensioneer!" "I love my wardrobe!" "Let's have a mount contest!" And Trion figured that meant they were doing a good job, while ignoring the declining playerbase. Both ends are to blame for what happened.

GW2 is B2P, not F2P.

Of course Rift has always had lots of fluff. It's a nice break from the content, but it's not content. The idea behind a F2P MMORPG is that people stay for the content, and some of them end up buying fluff, which is where the money comes from. Rift has abandoned new content and only develops fluff, so there's no reason for MMORPG players to stay.

Fluff is popular in the same way that New Coke would've been popular if you only talked to the tiny handful of people who liked it. The difference, of course, is that Coca-Cola didn't stop production of Coke Classic and focus entirely on New Coke, while Rift stopped development of content and focused on fluff.

Paying for content Isn't a bad thing, It stops companies from cannibalizing their own products, here's a post I made earlier that touches upon it. though I do disagree with mount/bank space those things should be obtained via engaging gameplay/content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedanpol View Post
    To make the game fun and engaging would require gutting their monetization system, seperating the mechanisms of monetization from the gameplay loop on top of developing new gameplay loops with higher fidelity.

monetization and gameplay are married, if this were a subscription mmorpg it perhaps wouldn't be so. though I've yet to see any one company create a free to play mmorpg that has its monetization seperate from the core gameplay loop and values.

The closest game I've seen to achieve this has been Planetside 2 simply because the core gameplay loop/ values are seperate from monetization, though not completely. (costumes,faster queue times, more exp to rank up fast, higher currency gain) though, without the subscription the currency gain rate to purchase weapons/upgrades isn't that bad, and no I'm not promoting planetside 2 or anything I'm simply giving an example to give contrast & context.

In Rift, you have to buy soul packs which by design is selling power, patron gives such a huge advantage for collecting artifacts its not even funny, due to the exp boost from patron gameplay loops like Instant Adventures are a must to justify the purchase instead of you know, making your game fun via gameplay loops/content player experience and customer satisfaction... and so on and so forth, I could be here all day explaining all the things Rift as a game does wrong but i digress.

Monetization and gameplay should never be married, the game ought to sell itself on its merits. "If you build it, they will come."

Rift is a prime example of the Ouroboros Principle.

(When a system reaches its peak potential, Instead of accepting it and innovating or starting anew, It turns on itself and cannibalises all which brought it up to that plateau in the first place.)

systems give birth to systems.
    Last edited by Lyedanpol; 04-05-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Sword of Telara

How is it contradictory?
    It's contradictory because you first blame Trion but then blame players who kept playing the game for the fluff.

GW2 is B2P, not F2P
    GW2 is widely labeled as F2P. I have played it myself so I can attest to that. Buying the game is optional for the additional perks.

Of course Rift has always had lots of fluff. It's a nice break from the content, but it's not content. The idea behind a F2P MMORPG is that people stay for the content, and some of them end up buying fluff, which is where the money comes from. Rift has abandoned new content and only develops fluff, so there's no reason for MMORPG players to stay.
    Trion/Gamigo have access to player statistics that we do not. Perhaps only a small percentage of Rift players ever did the dungeons and raids compared to doing fluff things like World Events, dimensions, minions and collections of artifacts, mounts, pets, etc. They might have simply been catering to player likes by concentrating on the fluff.
    Last edited by Zornar; 04-06-2020 at 04:59 AM.

Plane Walker

It's contradictory because you first blame Trion but then blame players who kept playing the game for the fluff.
    Again, there is no contradiction. Assigning fault to Trion is not mutually exclusive to assigning fault to a subset of players. It's perfectly possible for two groups of people to share responsibility for something. Trion focused on short-term sales, and the players who were only here for the fluff (I don't know why they were playing an MMORPG in the first place) were very vocal in shouting down anyone who asked for more content. When the playerbase unites to decry something, it has a much better chance of being improved, as with the $100 mount box.

GW2 is widely labeled as F2P. I have played it myself so I can attest to that. Buying the game is optional for the additional perks.
    Whoever labels GW2 as F2P is incorrect. The latest expansions aren't free and must be purchased by anyone who wants to play that content. As I said, that is a B2P game, not a F2P game.

Trion/Gamigo have access to player statistics that we do not. Perhaps only a small percentage of Rift players ever did the dungeons and raids compared to doing fluff things like World Events, dimensions, minions and collections of artifacts, mounts, pets, etc. They might have simply been catering to player likes by concentrating on the fluff.
    When Rift focused on dungeons and raids (and quests and PvP, etc. - you know, actual content), the game peaked at over a million players. Content, which is very expensive to make and doesn't have a price tag in a F2P game by definition, looks like a waste of money to idiotic managers who couldn't understand that content keeps people playing, and people who keep playing will keep looking at all the available microtransactions and maybe eventually buy something. That is the basis of how the F2P model works.

The focus slowly shifted to whatever could make them a quick buck with a price tag that the suits could point to on the graphs and say, "look, releasing that recolored mount is making us money." And then Trion lost all their money and went out of business and the game is in maintenance mode with a fraction of a percent of that peak playerbase.

Thumbs up

When Rift focused on dungeons and raids (and quests and PvP, etc. - you know, actual content), the game peaked at over a million players. Content, which is very expensive to make and doesn't have a price tag in a F2P game by definition, looks like a waste of money to idiotic managers who couldn't understand that content keeps people playing, and people who keep playing will keep looking at all the available microtransactions and maybe eventually buy something. That is the basis of how the F2P model works.

The focus slowly shifted to whatever could make them a quick buck with a price tag that the suits could point to on the graphs and say, "look, releasing that recolored mount is making us money." And then Trion lost all their money and went out of business and the game is in maintenance mode with a fraction of a percent of that peak playerbase.
    The cake is a lie.

Welcome to the game Princess Lexi, give it a try for sure!
    Foo, please get back in game & shake things up a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradax View Post
    <snip>7 new world bosses on the pts now<snip>
    Sneak peak of open world boss #2
    Last edited by Dizbo; 04-06-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Soulwalker

I hear ya Princess Lexi, I stopped playing back in 2013/2014, just a few months after it went F2P.
    That move really bothered me because I paid for it religiously, so I left.
    I tried to come back a few times, but never really got into it like I was then.
    The early days are long gone.. When I started I was invited to beta, bought the collectors edition and played hardcore for years, then poof.. it was just bleh.
    Then I found out that Trion sold out and that was even more depressing as I don't expect any real new content to be released.
    I'm only back now because it's F2P and a few of my friends wanted a casual game to play together.. so it is what it is.
    My main toon is Deathless on Deepwood, alt is Lifeless.
    Do people still play this game?-capturerift.jpg
    Last edited by Xzyst; 04-09-2020 at 04:05 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Trion focused on short-term sales, and the players who were only here for the fluff (I don't know why they were playing an MMORPG in the first place) were very vocal in shouting down anyone who asked for more content.
    Can I see evidence of this "shouting down of anyone who asked for more content" because its a load of poppy socks. Until you post this evidence anything you basically say is just you imagining it and believing something that never happens. Ever.

No one playing this game DOESN'T want new content. Some folks playing this game are just able to still enjoy it as it is whether there is new content or not. There's a difference (perhaps a very fine one) but accepting this difference might stop the "fake news" vibe some folks like to feed just to have things/folks to blame.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 04-11-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Sword of Telara

Trion focused on short-term sales, and the players who were only here for the fluff (I don't know why they were playing an MMORPG in the first place) were very vocal in shouting down anyone who asked for more content. When the playerbase unites to decry something, it has a much better chance of being improved, as with the $100 mount box.
    I don't remember any players "shouting down anyone who asked for more content." All players want more new content.

Whoever labels GW2 as F2P is incorrect. The latest expansions aren't free and must be purchased by anyone who wants to play that content. As I said, that is a B2P game, not a F2P game.
    I raised two characters to maximum level for free in GW2 and played hundreds of hours so it has lots and lots of F2P content. Rift is not completely F2P either if you include the BPs and other premium content such as special minion missions..

When Rift focused on dungeons and raids (and quests and PvP, etc. - you know, actual content), the game peaked at over a million players.
    It is not logical to attribute all of Rift's success to dungeons and raids just because that is your favorite part of the game..

At its zenith Rift also focused on "fluff aspects" of the game too such as world events, artifacts, wardrobe, mounts, pets, etc. At Rift launch, they had the first World Event, Carnival of the Ascended. That greatly impressed me.

Whenever you say something negative or constructive Tiger came with a answer and blow your mind. I dont know how high he is but he has so many answers on his mind at least. Maybe he has some kinda roadmap for Rift on his mind as well.

Note: I dont even know you tho but for a god sake please stop.

Colossus

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    Whenever you say something negative or constructive Tiger came with a answer and blow your mind. I dont know how high he is but he has so many answers on his mind at least. Maybe he has some kinda roadmap for Rift on his mind as well.

Note: I dont even know you tho but for a god sake please stop.
    He is simply good at context manipulation, after all, Its hard to prove a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedanpol View Post
    He is simply good at context manipulation, after all, Its hard to prove a negative.
    I can agree defending a company at some point but what he do is just speculation by himself and blaming players etc.

Colossus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast