+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhipf

Thread: Another update listed as restart.

General of Telara

Default Another update listed as restart.

Today's downtime was listed as a restart of the servers but again this week Glyph is asking me to update Rift. Could we get some update notes?

Telaran

Apparently it takes a Glyph update and a 68 MB download to restart servers. Who knew?!

What did you expect from a company that doesn't know the difference between the standard terms used in the industry:

Hotfix
    Restart
    Maintenance

Hotfix is usually a minor change or patch done serverside, withouth shutting down the game. For Gamigo, it's a full shutdown and patching of servers that can last several hours.

Restart is usually a quick shutdown and reboot of the servers, lasting no more than "a couple of minutes" depending on server structure. For bigger games like WoW, it's usually announced as a 15-30 minute thing. For Gamigo, it is a full shutdown and patching of servers that can last several times longer, usually 1-2 hours.

Maintenance is what is done on a weekly basis for most games. It can last a couple of hours, depending on what needs to be done and usually players are just fine with several hours of downtime, because they know it's needed on a weekly basis. Last maintenance we had, was 2 months ago and announced as lasting 1 hour.

So yeah, I am not at all surprised at this
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

If you play other Glyph games besides Rift you will notice that anytime ANY of those other games have a minor detail change that the Glyph launcher will require an update. 68MB really is nothing these days.

Unfortunately, ALL of the Glyph games are still tied together in some way. (Trove progress unlocks items in Rift, for example.)

General of Telara

68mb is ~2% of my allotted monthly bandwidth.

OK, it is ~2% of my monthly bandwidth before I am put into the next tier of payment and I usually update the game at work anyway (where we have no bandwidth cap) but 68mb is still rather significant for a server restart (if they had said it was an update the size of the download wouldn't even be an issue).

Also, I didn't mind that they Glyph client needed an update (these never seem to get patch notes) but when Rift is asking for an update then I would like to see patch notes to see what may have been changed.

P.S. at this point not getting patch notes doesn't really surprise me but we should still try to keep their feet to the fire.
    Last edited by Rhipf; 03-26-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rhipf View Post
    68mb is ~2% of my allotted monthly bandwidth.

OK, it is ~2% of my monthly bandwidth before I am put into the next tier of payment and I usually update the game at work anyway (where we have no bandwidth cap) but 68mb is still rather significant for a server restart (if they had said it was an update the size of the download wouldn't even be an issue).

Also, I didn't mind that they Glyph client needed an update (these never seem to get patch notes) but when Rift is asking for an update then I would like to see patch notes to see what may have been changed.

P.S. at this point not getting patch notes doesn't really surprise me but we should still try to keep their feet to the fire.
    LOL who has bandwidth allotment any more? Do you use your phone for internet or something? Time to upgrade or quit gaming.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by imjake View Post
    LOL who has bandwidth allotment any more? Do you use your phone for internet or something? Time to upgrade or quit gaming.
    Some of us don't have any options for Internet. Currently the only Internet option I have at home is a cell based system (not a hotspot via phone but a fixed cell connection). It is a tiered system so the first 3GB is $xx from 3GB-5GB is $x+$y 5GB-10GB is $x+$y=$z. Anything over 10GB is charged on a per MB basis.
    I would gladly opt for a different Internet connection if one was available to me (hopefully Starlink will be a solution).

+ Reply to Thread