+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: What are the Good Parts?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    153

    Question What are the Good Parts?

    I was looking for a good MMO so I googled the Best MMOs of 2020. Rift was on the list of several websites.
    Now, I read the forums and see many posts insulting Rift and few posts praising Rift.
    What are some of Rifts good points?
    For those of you who like Rift, what do you like about it?

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    346

    Default The Good... and the Bad

    Rift is still a lot of fun if you are just starting out. The art is exceptional, the "extras" like dimensions, artifact hunting, and some of the questlines are very very good. I would find a good and still active guild because waiting for dungeons to pop can be frustrating. The old dungeons (under level 60) are my favorite.The PVP is meh but it used to be that the gear was worth the grind. The raids in Rift - also prior to level 60- are very very good. I think they were better than a lot of other MMOs- including WoW. Now for the less than stellar- Nightmare Tide and anything after brought more senseless grind and repeated (Intrepid?) content. There has been no new content for 2 years. Those of us who have been around awhile are bored senseless. SFP brought with it oodles of bugs that have yet to be fixed. The RNG elements are crazier than in most MMOs. Buying gear is also distasteful. The events can be fun but are less fun than they used to be. The population has dwindled, and the switch to cloud based servers has caused some real issues in up time. My guild basically nosedived after SFP. the raiders left and over time so did most of the active players. A lot of guilds went through this. These days most people pay attention to the crossevents chat for grouping. My advice is to enjoy the lower level content, get involved with artifacts or dimensions or wardrobes, and join an active guild. That should keep you happy until about the 65-70 level. Then you can join the rest of us who are withering away from the lack of any new content. Cheers!
    Last edited by Andracleric; 03-14-2020 at 06:00 AM.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I was looking for a good MMO so I googled the Best MMOs of 2020. Rift was on the list of several websites.
    Now, I read the forums and see many posts insulting Rift and few posts praising Rift.
    What are some of Rifts good points?
    For those of you who like Rift, what do you like about it?

    I am a new player and loving it! I say enjoy the journey, don't rush, there's ALOT to do in this game. Just the Rifts alone will keep you busy haha. Give it a try!

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    317

    Default

    I'm surprised to see you say Rift was on any best list as Trion went bankrupt and sold it to Gamino back in Sept? 2018. Gamino is not a development company, it doesn't have the team required to produce content for games like this. Essentially the game is a dead end existing on what's left of the player base and some new players but not many. Population is nothing compared to what it was 2 and more years ago. Makes me wonder how such lists are compiled. Perhaps there aren't many rpg type mmo's left TO list so it made it be default?

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Hello! I've been playing this game as my main game for over 5 years, I love Rift, the game can be frustration at times, but it really is a good game, as long as you accept you have to more or less solo your way through everything you can (more rpg than mmo these days), unless you find an active guild that'll help.

    Things I enjoy:
    Dimensions. It's the game's player housing, but, you aren't locked into building a house, you can build caves, or a zoo, or a candy kingdom, or whatever you want, you're only limited by your imagination, and item limit. While it's not specifically content (you cannot kill bosses or get loot in them), it is content in a way that there's always something new to do, I have 12 finished dimensions and I'm still trying new things to do and build and new challenges to overcome. And even if you don't like building them, there's thousands to explore and enjoy to keep you busy.
    Dailies. I know, I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy dailies, doing the same thing over and over again, refining it to be as efficient as possible. (I am kinda OCD btw. Haha) And the dailies here actually serve a purpose, you can get a decent chunk of plat for level 70 dailies, and they give notoriety.
    Achievements. Some are silly, of course, but others require thought and creativity to get them done, and it's fun trying to get them.
    Artifacts. They're little shinies found on the ground, from minions, the daily gift, etc. that you collect and get rewards for completing certain arti sets, so it keeps you coming back through all the zones while you're trying to collect them all, and can keep you occupied, and if you get artifacts you don't need, you can salvage them for a material used to craft (mostly) dimension items.
    Wardrobe. I'm not huge into costumes and costuming compared to most, but I do still like the feature. You get a piece of armour or weapon and you unlock the skin of that armour or weapon for all of your characters (in that region) to use, so if you get that special weapon you wanted, you can equip it on all your char that have that gear slot (for example, Rogues cannot run around with a 2 handed weapon, but they can use any of the 1 main/off handers, even Cleric ones). There's also effects you can put on your weapon, like feathers, gum drops, and gold coins that are fun to play with and add a bit of flair.
    Chronicles/dungeons. Chronicles are 1 or 2 man dungeons that provide a little challenge to not as geared or semi geared players, and I find them to be a lot of fun, and there's a decent selection of them (although you need to mentor down or just stomp them at a higher level). And of course, dungeons are just dungeons, there's some tedious ones, but over all, they're fun to do, solo or in a group, and they have a lot of wardrobe items, dimension items, etc.
    Mentoring. Even though it's not balanced properly, it's fun to mentor down and do zone events, close rifts, murder things, etc. It's also accompanied by sidekicking, which allows lower level players to have stats similar to what that level characters would have, as long as they party with a higher level player and enable it (although sidekicking is limited by the zone, you cannot sidekick to level 70 in a level 50 zone, but instead you go to 52).
    Crafting. I love the crafting in this game, it's simple and straightforward, craft 1 item that's coloured orange and it'll give you a level, yellow is a high chance, but not guaranteed level. Green is a low chance, but still possible to gain a level, and grey is impossible to skill up off of crafting it. You get 3 for free + fishing and survivalist, and that's enough to get you started, and you can use alts to get them all (or buy tradeskill extensions to learn more on 1 char).
    Fluff. There's a lot of fluff stuff, unnecessary for completing content, but nevertheless fun things.
    There's all kinds of transformation effects, you can transform yourself into a robot and do combat in that form, or a zombie, faerie, etc. You can turn people into sheep, or summon frogs onto people.
    You can also summon a companion to follow you around, look pretty, and watch you die horribly. XD There's over 300 companions so finding 1 you like shouldn't be too hard.
    You aren't pigeon holed into a mount you don't like, most mounts scale to the speed of your fastest mount so pick one you like, train it to swim in water if it doesn't already, and still enjoy your mount speed.
    And there's so much more fluff stuff, it's a little inventory consuming, but just have an outfitter make you 28 slot bags, it'll be fine. Hehe
    Oh yea, forgot, World events. There are events that have special currencies that you can earn and buy new gear, fluff stuff, dimension items, wardrobes, etc. And there's 4 major ones (Carnival of the Ascended, Summerfest, Autumn Harvest, and Fae Yule) that last roughly a month, and several minor ones called Call to Action that have different themes and items to earn, but all the CtAs share the same currency, so if you don't like a particular theme (such as hellbugs), you can save up for one you do (like mechs) and those last for a weekend.

    Basically I find that even though there isn't new content in the form of a raid or dungeon, it's still a fun game, and there's a lot to do in it.
    Last edited by Hersheykisses; 03-14-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    May the frogue be with you.

  6. #6
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Dimensions.
    Korvac the conquerer.

  7. #7
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,948

    Default

    I've only seen Rift included on lists for 2020 that basically have every MMO on it.

    Everyone has your question covered though but really the fact its free is perhaps the best good thing, you can try it for however much or little you like. You can have LOADS of fun exploring the things folks are mentioning, the puzzles and dimensions in this game remain incredibly fantastic.

    Check out CADRIFT to aid your journey & GLHF whatever you decide.

    Edit - Rift turns 10 next year so these forums are reflective of concerns which are valid but not the whole story as many new players trickle across Telara. I would take it all with a grain of salt & try it to make up your own mind.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 03-14-2020 at 07:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Given that you've been posting here and (probably) playing Rift since 2011, I suppose you Googled the best MMOs of 2020 searching for a replacement for Rift, because you realize that it's in maintenance mode and going nowhere fast. The way you worded your post has really confused people, though, giving the impression that you're new to this game and wondering if it's worth playing. As a long-time player, I'm pretty sure you already know the answers to your questions. What's the real point of this thread?

  9. #9
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    835

    Default

    I play Rift mainly as a collecting game for mounts, pets, wardrobe items, minions, dimension items, artifacts and novelty items. It's also like a gambling game because every mob you kill, every minion mission you complete and every loot box you open gives you a chance at a great item.

    I especially like Dimensions, both building and viewing others creations. There just was a big cave dimension contest with very innovative entries:

    https://www.cadrift.net/gameplay/scr...ing-for-caves/

    I also enjoy the World Events, which now are running about a third of time each year since they were each expanded from 3 to 4 weeks.

    Rift is one of the most free of the FTP games. I've tried several others, and there are all much more pay to win or more limited than Rift in important ways, such as free mounts and storage space.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    153

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Given that you've been posting here and (probably) playing Rift since 2011, I suppose you Googled the best MMOs of 2020 searching for a replacement for Rift, because you realize that it's in maintenance mode and going nowhere fast. The way you worded your post has really confused people, though, giving the impression that you're new to this game and wondering if it's worth playing. As a long-time player, I'm pretty sure you already know the answers to your questions. What's the real point of this thread?
    I began playing Rift near the beginning and really enjoyed it back then. There were many people to join for dungeons, which was my favorite thing to do.
    Later, dungeon groups became scarce and my LFG would go for hours before it would pop, if it popped. I would ask in chat if anyone did dungeons anymore. People would reply that almost all dungeon groups were at max level.

    I left the game, having gotten tired of IAs.

    I played other MMOs and recently wanted to see which MMOs were good to try. I googled the 10 best MMOs to see what I should try. LOTRO and Rift were both on the list. I tried LOTRO but found that there were too many paywalls. Even though I was subbed, I still had to pay for the expansions. Since Rift was also on the list, I decided to try it again.
    So far, I've mostly done carnival stuff.
    I was surprised when I read the forums and saw mostly attacks against Rift. This was surprising since it was on the list of 10 Best MMOs of 2020.
    I was upset when I read some posts saying that raiding was dead. I thought that raiding was the main point of endgame. Raiding is dead, dungeons are dead. What is the point of playing if my favorite activities are dead?

  11. #11
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I began playing Rift near the beginning and really enjoyed it back then. There were many people to join for dungeons, which was my favorite thing to do.
    Later, dungeon groups became scarce and my LFG would go for hours before it would pop, if it popped. I would ask in chat if anyone did dungeons anymore. People would reply that almost all dungeon groups were at max level.
    This hasn't changed. Almost all dungeon groups are still at max level (70 now).

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I left the game, having gotten tired of IAs.
    This hasn't changed, either. IAs, though the fastest/easiest way to get to 65 without buying an instant 65 boost, are still boring.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I played other MMOs and recently wanted to see which MMOs were good to try. I googled the 10 best MMOs to see what I should try. LOTRO and Rift were both on the list. I tried LOTRO but found that there were too many paywalls. Even though I was subbed, I still had to pay for the expansions. Since Rift was also on the list, I decided to try it again.
    So far, I've mostly done carnival stuff.
    I was surprised when I read the forums and saw mostly attacks against Rift. This was surprising since it was on the list of 10 Best MMOs of 2020.
    The list was bad. Maybe it was an advertorial (an ad disguised to look like a legitimate article).

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I was upset when I read some posts saying that raiding was dead. I thought that raiding was the main point of endgame. Raiding is dead, dungeons are dead.
    This is correct. The last raid was released in 2017, the company was sold in 2018, a dungeon that was nearly complete at the time of the sale was released shortly afterward. There's been no new content since then, and there never will be.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    What is the point of playing if my favorite activities are dead?
    None, unfortunately. I wish you luck in your continuing search for a good MMO (that fits your desired activities) in 2020. I've heard good things about Warframe, if you like that particular style of MMO.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Holyroller12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I began playing Rift near the beginning and really enjoyed it back then. There were many people to join for dungeons, which was my favorite thing to do.
    Later, dungeon groups became scarce and my LFG would go for hours before it would pop, if it popped. I would ask in chat if anyone did dungeons anymore. People would reply that almost all dungeon groups were at max level.
    There's zero incentive to do older dungeons and while there are new players coming into the game everyday, it's not on a scale where it even remotely fills up the ques. Like a lot of older mmos and even this far into an expansion, you're not going to find nearly as many people running them compared to when the game/expansion in general was released. People also want to rush to the cap to play with everyone else. It also didn't help that dungeon exp was nerfed back in early Storm Legion so it wasn't worth grinding them compared to other activities for exp.

    This current expansion only has 2 new dungeons and 2 recycled ones. Your eternal weapon will require you to run 25 (previously 100 for a long time) so most people have burned out on them. Most people also premade vs randomly queing because a lot of people don't bother putting in any effort into getting proper specs, learning rotations and doing research in general on their character which can and has made dungeon runs extremely painful and long for a lot of people.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I left the game, having gotten tired of IAs.
    Instant adventures are good for 1-50, but they slow down after that point and questing is faster. People just keep doing them due to quest burn from other mmos and because they're mindless enought that you can do other things while burning through them. Some just don't like questing to level up in general. It just comes down to picking up proper specs to level with and limiting your downtime between kills, but its still faster to quest from 50-70, especially when there's a lot of people mooching in IAs and not contributing to objectives.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    I was surprised when I read the forums and saw mostly attacks against Rift. This was surprising since it was on the list of 10 Best MMOs of 2020.
    I was upset when I read some posts saying that raiding was dead. I thought that raiding was the main point of endgame. Raiding is dead, dungeons are dead. What is the point of playing if my favorite activities are dead?
    Despite what a subset of extremely salty people may say on the forums, the game isn't dead. At least not by the standards of actual dead games like Atlas Reactor, Wildstar and warhammer online as examples. Population is definitely lower than it's ever been, but there's still enough people to do everything that the game has to offer, including raiding. We've been stuck with the same raid tier for over 2 years, but people are still running it multiple times a week on multiple characters and some even on both regions (they know who they are).

    Most "attacks" are due to the fact that Trion wasn't managing the game properly or putting enough resources into it by the time we got to this expansion. Mainly in the forum of the amount of developers this game needs to thrive. There were long periods of getting little to nothing as far as content and balance goes and then they were acquired by Gamigo. It took over a year to do server merges and google cloud migrations which killed server stability which has gotten better, but is still being dealt with on a weekly basis + a lot of backend acquisition stuff behind the scenes. Most of what was left of the development teams at Trion were let go of on the day the acquisition was announced so it's been a revolving door of community managers and some devs here and there along with other roles such as the art team now based in Germany at gamigo HQ.

    The only glimmer of hope (at least for some) is that kerilar, one of the original developers that was on Rift since the very beginning up until he left to work on defiance 2050 (still within Trioni) was rehired to work on Rift again and has stated plans are being made. We've heard plans were being made for a long time now by other CMs so it's still a grain of salt, but that's still far more than we've heard since the acquisition really:


    Rift is a good game and it does have a lot of good parts, but it just depends on what you're personally interested in. If raiding is your only thing then you'll hit a wall eventually once you're done gearing up. I'd say take your time getting there and just enjoy the experience. Ultimately it's free and you can simply stop at any point if you lose interest or don't like something about it or just all of it in general.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 03-15-2020 at 09:38 AM.

    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

    Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Despite what a subset of extremely salty people may say on the forums, the game isn't dead. At least not by the standards of actual dead games like Atlas Reactor, Wildstar and warhammer online as examples. Population is definitely lower than it's ever been, but there's still enough people to do everything that the game has to offer, including raiding. We've been stuck with the same raid tier for over 2 years, but people are still running it multiple times a week on multiple characters and some even on both regions (they know who they are).
    Death has different meanings for different things in different contexts. For organic life, death is generally considered to be the point at which the organism's functions cease. Some people specify the irrevocable cessation of those functions (no resuscitation possible). For a language, death is the point at which it's not a natural first language in any community/region (e.g. Latin). For a meme, death is the point at which it's considered passť (which can, of course, vary based on opinion). For an online service that depends on a critical mass of interacting users, death is the point at which that user base can't sustain many basic activities within the service and development has ceased. In that last definition, Rift is a dead game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    plans are being made. We've heard plans were being made for a long time now by other CMs so it's still a grain of salt,
    It's not technically impossible for Rift development to begin again, but anyone who seriously thinks it'll happen is a fool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Rift is a good game and it does have a lot of good parts, but it just depends on what you're personally interested in. If raiding is your only thing then you'll hit a wall eventually once you're done gearing up. I'd say take your time getting there and just enjoy the experience. Ultimately it's free and you can simply stop at any point if you lose interest or don't like something about it or just all of it in general.
    So much this. The game being F2P means you can try it out for as long as you like, and if it stops holding your interest, you can stop for as long as you like, until you feel like trying it again for as long as you like once more. If you only play as long as you're having fun, then even the time you spent isn't a cost but rather a benefit.

  14. #14
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Death has different meanings for different things in different contexts. For organic life, death is generally considered to be the point at which the organism's functions cease. Some people specify the irrevocable cessation of those functions (no resuscitation possible). For a language, death is the point at which it's not a natural first language in any community/region (e.g. Latin). For a meme, death is the point at which it's considered passť (which can, of course, vary based on opinion). For an online service that depends on a critical mass of interacting users, death is the point at which that user base can't sustain many basic activities within the service and development has ceased. In that last definition, Rift is a dead game.
    Somehow your reflections on the nature of death reminded me of something completely different

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Praline
    'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!'

  15. #15
    Plane Touched Lyedanpol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    289

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Death has different meanings for different things in different contexts. For organic life, death is generally considered to be the point at which the organism's functions cease. Some people specify the irrevocable cessation of those functions (no resuscitation possible). For a language, death is the point at which it's not a natural first language in any community/region (e.g. Latin). For a meme, death is the point at which it's considered passť (which can, of course, vary based on opinion). For an online service that depends on a critical mass of interacting users, death is the point at which that user base can't sustain many basic activities within the service and development has ceased. In that last definition, Rift is a dead game.
    They say it, in writing but chose not to accept it. you're speaking to the most ideologically possessed players in the game. for after all the abuse,lies,deceit and evidence to the contrary, they will continue to defend their beliefs, being ideologically possessed as they are.

    to see it, look at the reasoning they use on themselves to justify their points further.

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    There's zero incentive to do older dungeons and while there are new players coming into the game everyday, it's not on a scale where it even remotely fills up the ques. Like a lot of older mmos and even this far into an expansion, you're not going to find nearly as many people running them compared to when the game/expansion in general was released. People also want to rush to the cap to play with everyone else. It also didn't help that dungeon exp was nerfed back in early Storm Legion so it wasn't worth grinding them compared to other activities for exp.

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    It's not technically impossible for Rift development to begin again, but anyone who seriously thinks it'll happen is a fool.
    It very much is impossible for gamigo to really develop the game, they are NOT a developer. they are an investment company people. by defenition the development WILL have to come from outside of it, like Archeage with XLGames.

    minor patches is not development people.

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    So much this. The game being F2P means you can try it out for as long as you like, and if it stops holding your interest, you can stop for as long as you like, until you feel like trying it again for as long as you like once more. If you only play as long as you're having fun, then even the time you spent isn't a cost but rather a benefit.
    Combine this with a small community where everyone knows each other like say prancing trutle with the raid/time challenges and you'll be in a nice little bubble where to you personally it looks like the people are there for the content but in fact its simply the little bubble you exist in, creating a false positive and further entrenching the ideologically possessed.

    worst death of a game I've seen yet, It's almost human abuse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts