+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: What are the Good Parts?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedanpol View Post
    Having the ability to self reflect is a wonderful thing.
    This is what I don't understand. You respond with a vague, off-the-cuff remark (and of course Omerr supports that, anything negative).

What am I not accepting? What am I possessed about?

There ARE people here, there ARE people enjoying themselves - why is that such a problem for you?

Rift is definitely not what it once was, no one disputes that. I would be very surprised if it got back to half of what it once was. But that means no one can have any enjoyment with what IS there? Why? Because you and a few others have handed down the almighty word that it cannot be so?

Why do people come in here just to disparage? Are some just THAT negatively charged? Can't get through the day without slamming someone or their opinions? If I really disliked something - thought so little of it - deemed it doomed, never to be it's former glory - I wouldn't see the point of continually coming back to drag others down.

Don't like it - don't support it - don't play it. There's some self-reflection for you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrianna View Post

Don't like it - don't support it - don't play it. There's some self-reflection for you.
    yeap, that goes without saying right?

Rift Disciple

yeap, that goes without saying right?
    But yet people keep coming back to disparage on others that still find enjoyment. Can't say I understand that. Superiority complex, maybe?

I didn't expect there would be answers to any questions I asked. I probably know them anyway.

Thumbs up

But yet people keep coming back to disparage on others that still find enjoyment. Can't say I understand that. Superiority complex, maybe?

I didn't expect there would be answers to any questions I asked. I probably know them anyway.
    Listen, when things that go without being said, start being said, there is a disconnect somewhere. when speaking with people who hold their ideals with a tyrant grip there is no speaking to them without further entrenching them into that tyrants grip, only self realization will help people who happen to find themselves in such a situation.

Rift Disciple

Listen, when things that go without being said, start being said, there is a disconnect somewhere. when speaking with people who hold their ideals with a tyrant grip there is no speaking to them without further entrenching them into that tyrants grip, only self realization will help people who happen to find themselves in such a situation.
    No disrespect, Lyedanpol - but it's your wording that puzzles me. I'm not holding on to any ideal with a tyrant grip. Your wording - along with others at times - are choices of the dramatic and bold, and frankly, off the chain. I don't think anyone on this forum is up for an Academy Award. ;) I don't know what "situations" you're referring that I guess I haven't been privy to?

It would be nice if Rift would get back to it's former glory, but I don't think it will. Does that mean I can't still wish it were so? I can, without deserving prejudice or disrespect from anyone. I'm not funneling in hundreds of hours OR dollars into this. I'm not trying to convince others to do that either. Just share some other fun things about the game. If I were the only one that felt that way, I'd be the only one logging in. I wish I understood what your solution is for folks that still enjoy playing Rift - but I can't imagine what that solution would be.

I really think there's a disconnect somewhere between what I try to convey and what meaning you derive. What fault there may be on my side of that, I do apologize.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by MarginalSteve View Post
    Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

Rift no longer meets that definition and the lack of attention to keeping older content relevant is one of the key factors in that. If a game that once prided itself on being a superior alternative to other group content focused games (We're not in Azeroth anymore) has succumbed to predatory monetization (No tricks, no traps) and is forced to rely on wardrobe, dimensions, and the solo questing experience it is basically a paper doll costume party.

I get the feeling you're just being contradictory to add fuel to a fire that has already burned itself out. Ain't no wood left, just a few sprays of lighter fluid. Rift checks very few boxes that satisfy a small minority, and the rest are sticking around due to nostalgia and Skinner Box mechanics and the associated addiction.
    I don't agree with that at all. The current Carnival of the Ascended event is well attended despite widespread technical problems where the main carnival area is not functional on most NA shards. There are groups for balloon popping and the Carnival IA in prime time and frequently during off hours.

MMORGS have always had a lot of solo content. As they age, the amount of soloable content increases as max level characters can then solo almost all of the original game's dungeons and raids and those of earlier expansions.

Rift's dimensions is one of the unique strengths of the game. It may not appeal to everyone but what does?

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    MMORGS have always had a lot of solo content. As they age, the amount of soloable content increases as max level characters can then solo almost all of the original game's dungeons and raids and those of earlier expansions.

Rift's dimensions is one of the unique strengths of the game. It may not appeal to everyone but what does?
    I agree that dimensions are one of the cooler and well designed aspects of this game. Even a player like myself who doesn't really play MMO's for things like player housing dabbled in it a bit.

But the core of every MMORPG, at it's base level, is about grouping with friends and fighting monsters. A healthy player community is very important for the success of the game. MMO's that neglect the two M's and focus on solo play are just Online RPG's and single player games tend to stop being played once all the content has been seen or beaten.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    I agree that dimensions are one of the cooler and well designed aspects of this game. Even a player like myself who doesn't really play MMO's for things like player housing dabbled in it a bit..

Dimensions are also part of the multiplayer content because many dimensions have hundreds or thousands of viewers.

But the core of every MMORPG, at it's base level, is about grouping with friends and fighting monsters.

I think you still have that especially for group activities in the World Events and in the final expansion. If a low level player wants a dungeon or raid group they have to ask in chat and try to set one up. They can also seek out an active guild that regularly does old group content.

Plane Walker

I don't agree with that at all. The current Carnival of the Ascended event is well attended despite widespread technical problems where the main carnival area is not functional on most NA shards. There are groups for balloon popping and the Carnival IA in prime time and frequently during off hours.

If you believe that dozens of players (on one or two shards, because the rest don't work) is a sign of a "well-attended" event in an MMORPG, I don't really know what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

Yes, there's always some solo content in an MMORPG, but that's not what an MMORPG is for. If a car is so broken that it can't move, we don't keep it around just because the cupholders still work.

Rift has dimensions, but, again, that's not what an MMORPG is for. Your car can have a better coffeemaker than any other mid-sized sedan, but if the car is terrible at transporting people, that coffeemaker is now competing with actual coffeemakers rather than car-based coffeemakers.

OP of this thread wants an MMORPG for actual MMORPG things. Rift no longer does that and has no chance to do that in the future. OP should therefore find a different MMORPG.

Dimensions are also part of the multiplayer content because many dimensions have hundreds or thousands of viewers.

I think you still have that especially for group activities in the World Events and in the final expansion. If a low level player wants a dungeon or raid group they have to ask in chat and try to set one up. They can also seek out an active guild that regularly does old group content.
    Views doesn't equate to viewers. I'm willing to bet a large chunk of those probably occured when this game was in a healthier state. IE pre-Ahnket expansion. When content updates actually happened on a semi-regular basis.

As far as group activities, if balloon popping with 15 other people for yet another year is your idea of fun then more power to ya.

If zone events are what you're referencing then a screenshot I saw of a recent VP event looked rather sparse even compared to 7 months ago when the game felt dead.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from playing. But Rift has been the neglected for years now and it really shows. I'm surprised there's still a "This is Fine" crowd still left.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Views doesn't equate to viewers. I'm willing to bet a large chunk of those probably occured when this game was in a healthier state. IE pre-Ahnket expansion. When content updates actually happened on a semi-regular basis.

As far as group activities, if balloon popping with 15 other people for yet another year is your idea of fun then more power to ya.

If zone events are what you're referencing then a screenshot I saw of a recent VP event looked rather sparse even compared to 7 months ago when the game felt dead.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from playing. But Rift has been the neglected for years now and it really shows. I'm surprised there's still a "This is Fine" crowd still left.
    They like that attitude mate you cant change them. For them game is always so alive and so many new peoples coming.
    Last edited by Omerr; 03-18-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    They like that attitude mate you cant change them. For them game is always so alive and so many new peoples coming.
    Again, you're playing the extremist. There are two sides to this coin, but you will only see the one side. It is a little baffling why you still come here, yet your posts disparage anyone playing Rift. To each his own. *shrug*

I have no trouble participating in raids, SPE's, guild activities, etc. I see group requests fill quickly or within a few minutes. I've seen several guild members come back recently, on top of the regular set we already have. Maybe it's the hours I am here, but on the flip side, I don't have time to play 15 hours a day either.

Is Rift what it WAS? No. Will it EVER be? Most likely not. Does that mean there's nothing to do? Nope, doesn't mean that at all.

So what should I or anyone else do? Lie about our experiences and say no raids fill, no one ever joins anything, no one is on any shards, etc? If someone is saying Rift is the greatest game on earth, BEST MMORPG ever, everything is perfect, rah rah rah!!...I'm not seeing that.

There's a mighty big difference between saying "Rift is still a playable game" versus "Rift is as great as it's always been!"

Maybe folks that have full-time jobs and other things to do see it differently than folks that spend 15-18 hours a day playing and their world has been blown because they can't do that any more.
    Last edited by Ambrianna; 03-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Again, you're playing the extremist. There are two sides to this coin, but you will only see the one side. It is a little baffling why you still come here, yet your posts disparage anyone playing Rift. To each his own. *shrug*

I have no trouble participating in raids, SPE's, guild activities, etc. I see group requests fill quickly or within a few minutes. I've seen several guild members come back recently, on top of the regular set we already have. Maybe it's the hours I am here, but on the flip side, I don't have time to play 15 hours a day either.

Is Rift what it WAS? No. Will it EVER be? Most likely not. Does that mean there's nothing to do? Nope, doesn't mean that at all.

So what should I or anyone else do? Lie about our experiences and say no raids fill, no one ever joins anything, no one is on any shards, etc? If someone is saying Rift is the greatest game on earth, BEST MMORPG ever, everything is perfect, rah rah rah!!...I'm not seeing that.

There's a mighty big difference between saying "Rift is still a playable game" versus "Rift is as great as it's always been!"

Maybe folks that have full-time jobs and other things to do see it differently than folks that spend 15-18 hours a day playing and their world has been blown because they can't do that any more.

Just play your game mate, be happy and enjoy.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    Just play your game mate, be happy and enjoy.
    Mercy me, as expected.

Have a lovely evening!

Mercy me, as expected.

Have a lovely evening!
    As expected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast