+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Thought on a Rift reborn?

Soulwalker

Default Thought on a Rift reborn?

As the title says what do you guys think of the idea of a rift reborn? I think it would do really well

If you mean something similar to EverQuest 2 where it's a separate game with updated graphics and systems then probably a pass for me unless they found a way to carry on all of your progress from the original. The problem with it (much like Rift Prime) was that you create a separate new community and you never want to split your community between 2 separate games. It didn't go well for SoE and it certainly didn't go well for Rift prime.

I don't know if it's possible (I think it is if you have enough money and resources), but I would much rather just see an engine update as that would help revitalize and improve a lot of things.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Soulwalker

I was talking something similar to what they did with FF14

IIRC square enix threw 100mil at it to update it completely because it had a terrible launch and a mostly terrible run for the first 3-5 years. In that sense then of course I (as many others) would love if someone threw that much at Rift. I think with games like Final Fantasy and WoW.. they have massively long pre-existing franchises behind them which helps significantly. Not just the fact that there's so much lore behind them, but these companies have so much money and resources to throw around and square enix took a chance investing so much money into it and it seems to be worth it so far.

Both Trion and Gamigo rely heavily on investors since their games went F2P. FF14 is still sub based. I would imagine they still have some investors, but it's probably not as dependent with that steady stream of revenue on top of whatever microtransactions they offer. There has been plenty of suggestions in the past and even recently to make patron more enticing without forcing people into it, but it remains to be seen if Gamigo will make any effort on that front.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 02-10-2020 at 10:09 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Ascendant

The Rift franchise has taken severe damage in the way it was treated by its owners (mostly Trion) in the past. The majority of people that played the game at some point have left, and it's safe to assume that most of them were unhappy ("highly polished xpac", anyone? Not? I thought so).

It's rather unlikely that any company would pour large quantities of money into the relaunch of a game whose reputation was so thoroughly ruined.

As highroller somewhat suggested, you need an established IP to see much success in any modern mmorpg. They're a dieing franchise as they're a risk to investors. Players are just too impatient to stick with them unless they're beautifully polished with tons of content, and any slight mess up, you see players run a mile. The effects of "must be better than WoW or not worth my time" syndrome. At least with an IP you will always have a core audience, and a high return rate.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Shadowlander

what this game needs is not a reborn or a different version. It needs the team to stop pushing out life updates and make a real good expansion. One that will grab the attention of players. One that will bring old players back to the game to invest their time in.
    The game has been stuck in the same expansion for to long and the word on rift is gone.
    No one speaks about it so no new people hear anything about it.
    Those that do hear negative things and that changes their minds.
    I do not wish to say anything negative but truth be told. I can look at rift much like I did with wildstar. They never added anything new for along time and only did life updates until they finally shut the game down.
    Rift just needs to some how attract people back to the game and get them to invest their time and maybe money.
    This will not happen unless something new and refreshing comes to rift and gets people wanting to return. However will say you had a okay idea of a reborn version but sadly like others have said if I had to redo all I already did then I would surely pass.

Thumbs up

In an ideal world, that would be the correct path to take as it would address every single issue the game suffers from. Like others have said It is a risk most people are not willing to take, FF14 A real reborn got not only an engine upgrade but all the core issues with the game systems (gameplay) and bugs got patched up togheter on TOP of being a customer friendly (consumer friendly) product.

The harder part would be developing Rift into a franchise, though that wouldn't be hard if "Rift: A real reborn" were to be successful. Their best bet if this action were to be taken would be to market it as something else or at the very least as a sequel of sort.

Again, All of this would take a great risk on behalf of gamigo, there are so many fans of the game out there though that the market would be well worth it especially if it shares the same moral values that FF14 does, the reason everyone loves the game is simply because of how consumer friendly it is.
    Last edited by Lyedanpol; 02-11-2020 at 01:20 AM.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this idea that Gamigo are stupid for not investing in the game. Its just a hypocritical statement as those who say that clearly have no idea about the concepts of profit. No expansion at this point would be worth it for that company. The game is old, the coding is complicated and despite some fools telling me otherwise the 64 bit issue DOES cause a lot of issues. Also why am I still reminding people a year later, what Gamigo actually are.

Rift also had an inherently flawed concept. Soul combining seems like an amazingly fun idea but in reality causes a nightmare of balancing issues. If they made a sequel they would have to be really careful when approaching this.

Rift originally was a 'WoW clone' with a couple of differences. I dont think it ever lost that stigma to outsiders and therefore despite an expansion or rerelease it might struggle to gain a significant enough audience. Usually sequels gain attention when they originally had a great reputation but died out simply due to time. Rift at this point doesn't have that reputation.

At this point i would be happy enough with a small dev team to trickle in content like 1 boss raids or further lore to fill in the gaps. I would love a sequel, and Rift itself has huge potential in lore and theme, but what company in their right mind would risk 100 million on Rift when they could instead target an IP and get an easy ride.
    Last edited by Refuge; 02-11-2020 at 02:59 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

I dont think rift has a small Dev team right now after hiring some of the folks. But it could be great to see a xpac kinda tho new zones and such. But we waited long enough for a communication at least.

If they are willing to revive rift kinda xpac seems like good idea. I dont think people will be back if they release a raid or something. Because we will farm it anyway like a month after that ? People gonna get bored and left the game again and they will ask for a raid thats why Xpac is good idea.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Xpacs have a shorter life span than new raids...

Raids are what makes an xpac survive longer than a week.

The only reason for xpacs is for media publicity and a large return rate to subscriptions, not for improved content. Though with increased funding comes more opportunity for content, so it filters in that way.
    Last edited by Refuge; 02-11-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Kinda agree and disagree, if they release a raid we will burn it arent we ? After that we will be like where is new raid and such. I'd like to see a new players Fwob. I'd like to see a new zones, dungeons or a new storyline if its possible but creating raid is not a good idea in my book. Everyone will agree this.
    Last edited by Omerr; 02-11-2020 at 03:03 AM.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Not if they make the raid tough enough lol! Ofc I would love to see an xpac, who doesn't love loads of new content? But is is viable? Very much no.

Edit: Can I also add, I don't intend to but a downer on the situation, and I don't intend to concrete Rift's fate. That's not my intention. My intention is to be logically realistic so Gamigo doesn't exploit the false hopes of a loyal fan base. The fact they've lied in every single dev letter makes my blood boil. If they had any decensy they would just say the game is in maintenance mode with the possibility of a small trickle of updates. It's been long enough now for me to assume there are no more raids coming, despite them saying there will be (well they did 1 year ago with silence since then).
    Last edited by Refuge; 02-11-2020 at 03:51 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    Kinda agree and disagree, if they release a raid we will burn it arent we ? After that we will be like where is new raid and such. I'd like to see a new players Fwob. I'd like to see a new zones, dungeons or a new storyline if its possible but creating raid is not a good idea in my book. Everyone will agree this.
    I agree with you. Whats the point of just a new raid tier raid? It will be for very few people.
    What rift need asap is a new zone with new story quests, events, artifacts,achievements, reputation with rewards and ofcourse a new raid within the zone.
    Only a new raid wont make any difference to game population

Quote Originally Posted by simpa1988 View Post
    I agree with you. Whats the point of just a new raid tier raid? It will be for very few people.
    What rift need asap is a new zone with new story quests, events, artifacts,achievements, reputation with rewards and ofcourse a new raid within the zone.
    Only a new raid wont make any difference to game population
    I get your point, but its a discussion not worth having as neither is going to happen haha
    Fwob - Zaviel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast