+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lyedanpol
  • 2 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Dizbo

Thread: Hello all thinking of coming back.

Default Hello all thinking of coming back.

Its been a few years since i last stepped into Telara, and i have been wanting to go back lately. I will have to download the game again this pc wasnt around last time I loved this game back when i played, rift events popping all around, people grouping up, the festivals, the attacks on the cities for spontaneous pvp. I played a long time ago, tried to start again about a year ago, but life got in the way.

But before i do that i wanted to ask a few questions. Is pvp still a thing, do raids still happen, are rifts still major open world events? How is the population, and i heard trion isnt the publisher anymore? Since the game is f2p has it gone the way of trash lootbox gambling. I guess what im asking is will it be worth it to come back, or will my adventures in Telara be a lonely expensive journey?
    Last edited by TiviaRose; 12-14-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiviaRose View Post
    But before i do that i wanted to ask a few questions. Is pvp still a thing
    PvP is still a thing, but open world pvp mostly died when the factions went neutral in storm legion. Even prior to that there was too much faction imbalance which caused one side to get really stacked and the other to simply pick up and move shards. On top of that, there's no bolstering in open world pvp so certain pieces of gear give you a huge advantage. This isn't as much of a problem in warfronts due to bolstering, but there's still need for a lot of improvement in pvp in general. That being said, people still jump into warfronts and do them, but probably not nearly as many in previous years for several reasons.

do raids still happen
    Yes. We haven't had any new raids in just over 2 years due to a fluctuation in losing and gaining new devs which makes it difficult to re-train new people to make new content and work on class changes. Then the acquisition happened which saw the vast majority of the team vanish. https://www.thegharstation.com/2018/...ation-edition/ Things are a bit more stable than that initial overview, but there's still a lack of information as to what's coming.

There are still a lot of people that raid the current tier and clear it every week, some even on multiple alts, but I would advise you not to rush your way to the cap or even to raid content as we most likely still won't see a new raid for a long while. I could be and hope that I am wrong on that front.

are rifts still major open world events?
    Yes. That is the name of the game after all. There was an attempt with this current expansion we've been stuck in to make some more dynamic events, but they were rushed out of the gate and then shelved when they couldn't get them to work. "Fortress sieges".

How is the population
    Nowhere near as many compared to previous years, especially with everything that has happened in the last year or two. There is however enough people to do and enjoy pretty much every aspect of the game. You will however find that like with any older mmo, there won't be too many people leveling through older zones, especially since people just want to reach the cap and play with friends/other people.

and i heard trion isnt the publisher anymore? Since the game is f2p has it gone the way of trash lootbox gambling. I guess what im asking is will it be worth it to come back, or will my adventures in Telara be a lonely expensive journey?
    Trion owned and developed up, but those rights along with all of the other games are now owned by gamigo. They kept smaller teams on board during the transition and "development" continues through those teams.

As far as lockboxes goes, here's a bit of history: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...p-improve.html

Recent: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ear-later.html

Honestly, people can give you their own opinions, but that's all they are. It's going to be up to you to jump on and play it and see if you enjoy it. The only thing you are sort of "forced" into buying are soul packs, but that's only if you plan on raiding and there's a cheaper pack that unlocks every soul for every class if you wanted. You can accomplish everything else for free.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

in regards to pvp, its worth noting that due to people being aloud to stay and level 24/7 in IA interpids you wont get a pvp Que pop until your level 65 ... the days that you could get a match at level 10 are long gone ...
    ->Lyie@hailol ->Morelyes@wolfsbane ->Sourdiesel@wolfsbane ->Morrely@faeblight
    -> for free Vox mount, get any toon in trove to level 20 ...
    -> other stuff -- https://www.freegamekeys.com/rift/ and https://na.alienwarearena.com
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Thumbs up

Its been a few years since i last stepped into Telara, and i have been wanting to go back lately. I will have to download the game again this pc wasnt around last time I loved this game back when i played, rift events popping all around, people grouping up, the festivals, the attacks on the cities for spontaneous pvp. I played a long time ago, tried to start again about a year ago, but life got in the way.

But before i do that i wanted to ask a few questions. Is pvp still a thing, do raids still happen, are rifts still major open world events? How is the population, and i heard trion isnt the publisher anymore? Since the game is f2p has it gone the way of trash lootbox gambling. I guess what im asking is will it be worth it to come back, or will my adventures in Telara be a lonely expensive journey?
    Is pvp still a thing
    Open world pvp is dead and you'll be fighting the same people in warfronts

do raids still happen
    yes but not in the frequency or volume you'd want from an mmo and you'll be competing for spots unless you get lucky with a guild

are rifts still major open world events?
    major open world event? no
    Daily/weekly quest for rep/currency yes

How is the population
    no where near what an mmo should be even during peak hours

i heard trion isnt the publisher anymore? Since the game is f2p has it gone the way of trash lootbox gambling.
    Gamigo runs the show now, and yes they are pushing harder than ever on monetization meaning more lootboxes / costumes / mounts and fluff like battle-pass

I agree with pretty much everything Holyroller12 said but Gamigo has stated their intentions regarding RIFT in their quarterly financial reports which I suggest you read if you really want to know what they want.

The TL-DR version is, Gamigo wants to heavily monetize RIFT since its only making a pittance of 2 million when other mmo's are pulling 200+ million (that's on the low end by the way) There's a lot going on that a returning player wouldn't know about either but If I go into detail this will be a very long post, make sure to do your research before you really invest your time and money.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedanpol View Post
    Gamigo runs the show now, and yes they are pushing harder than ever on monetization
    Which is just plain wrong. Remember equipment slots for cash only? "Making patron better" by not changing patron at all, and only making non-patron worse? The current xpac being pay to play because "highly polished content"? The 100$ lockbox with a 1 in 42 chance to get the mount you want?
    All those cr*ppy monetization schemes were Trion's responsibility, they were way worse than what Gamigo's doing right now - and one of the many reasons why Trion is out of business now.

@OP: You can play the game from start to end without paying one dime. As Holyroller said, if you want to get into end game, you will need to buy some of the souls, but that's it; and if you can re-activate your old account, chances are good that you already own additional bag spaces and stuff like that.

I returned to Rift last year to visit the new zones, play the new quests, and stuff like that. After a while it gets old, as the game clearly is in maintance mode with no new xpacs or instanced content anywhere on the horizon. But if you just want to get back into that old Rift-mood for a while, there's nothing that should hold you back.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    Which is just plain wrong. Remember equipment slots for cash only? "Making patron better" by not changing patron at all, and only making non-patron worse? The current xpac being pay to play because "highly polished content"? The 100$ lockbox with a 1 in 42 chance to get the mount you want?
    All those cr*ppy monetization schemes were Trion's responsibility, they were way worse than what Gamigo's doing right now - and one of the many reasons why Trion is out of business now.
    How is it wrong? Trion was trying to do away with lootboxes all togheter and gamigo is undoing that, Trion did all of those things but to say that only Trion is at fault here is wrong.

Don't deal in half truths for the other half will only expose what's really going on. To ignore the other half of the truth will only prime the community for exploitation and become the victim, have we not learned anything from Trion?

It's better to give the whole truth so that companies like the former Trion Worlds and now Gamigo don't exploit the half truths to the detriment of the communities they profess to care about.

I like to think RIFT's community is better than that, don't prove me wrong.

Wink

Hey Tivia,

happy to wellcome you back if you decide to do so. I would recommend getting a quick impression of what to expect before diving in on a new/ mid level char:

Those Stream-Videos from Killerloose are representing the current PVP and PVE situation pretty well.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/520141479
    PVE/pvp

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/520549268
    PVP
    Last edited by Shas; 12-15-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hey Tivia,
    happy to wellcome you back if you decide to do so. I would recommend getting a quick impression of what to expect before diving in on a new/ mid level char:

Those Stream-Videos from Killerloose are representing the current PVP and PVE situation pretty well.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/520141479
    PVE/pvp
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/520549268
    PVP
    ---
    Great streams! I absolutely love Killerloose's easygoing attitude plus I learned too.
    Cannot wait to see more.
    P.S. May be the neatest bags I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Dizbo; 12-16-2019 at 08:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread