+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Community.... Ambassadors?

Default Community.... Ambassadors?

I couldn't help but laugh a little when I read it. What the heck are they thinking at Gamigo? Is anyone willingly going to participate in this, considering that they're basically going to be unpaid staff? Let's take a look at the "responsibilities" of a CA.

Enforcing the game and forum rules
    Helping players with questions, game issues and technical problems (in-game and forums)
    Resolving player disputes
    Planning, organizing and hosting events in-game and in the forums (including streams)
    Listening to player concerns
    Creation of FAQs and guides
    Testing new content before it goes live
    Testing reported bugs and exploits
    Reproducing bugs for development team
    And now, let's try and split them up a bit...

Enforcing the game and forum rules
    Resolving player disputes
    Listening to player concerns
    That's not something a regular player account should ever have to do. Ever. That is only for the actual staff of the company behind the game. Like the Community Managers.

Helping players with questions, game issues and technical problems (in-game and forums)
    Planning, organizing and hosting events in-game and in the forums (including streams)
    Creation of FAQs and guides
    Most players are already willing to help out with issues. Many people are already making guides and FAQs. And some people make events that they think is fun. I don't see why this should be a responsibility for a Community Ambassador. But sometimes things are so much better if there's offical help to get when having an issue and if there are prizes from participating in an event, it's much better to be able to get something directly from the game, instead of having to rely on player transactions. Not to mention, official events can have cross-region prizes, where player-run stuff is mostly bound to one or the other, but not both.

Testing new content before it goes live
    Testing reported bugs and exploits
    Reproducing bugs for development team
    No, no and no. There is a reason why gaming companies have not only a PUBLIC Test Server, but also their very own QUALITY ASSURANCE team. That is because it is their JOB to do this. They get PAID to do this. And they focus on doing that, for the good of the game and company. Many players are willing to hop on and test stuff, like we currently see with the Cleric and Mage adjustments going on, but they focus solely on THOSE issues, because that is what they WANT to be doing. And seriously, if a regular PLAYER gets their hands on a list of exploits that haven't been fixed yet, what's going to happen? It's gonna be spread all over the net and other players will abuse it until fixed.

All in all, this is unfortunately another fail on Gamigo's behalf. Half the stuff a CA is supposed to do, is irrelevant because players already do it without a fancy title, and the other half should never ever ever be charged to a regular player....
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Shield of Telara

Let me translate that for you:

We're too cheap to hire proper staff for this dying game so we need players to work for us for free. Good luck guys and I hope you won't mind having a random player with the ability to chat ban you if they don't like the political topic you just discussed.

Shadowlander

And yet amazingly,,,,,,although I shouldn't be surprised,,,they found people to do this for them,,,,I might have to start selling farmland in these forums,,seems like a lot of suckers out there

ALL of the listed responsibilities are what people here are already doing every day.

Whats it all about in the first place..
    a shiny icon on the profile?

I higly doubt there are any rights involved.

Having special people with a higher priority to be listened to is .. strange.
    Last edited by Shas; 12-14-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Rift Disciple

I totally missed this. I have to sometimes step back with the forums/game of late since all it does is anger me. This is beyond low.

You can't do your job so you are trying to outsource it for free? Anyone who agrees to do this will not have any respect from the community. And frankly would be viewed as someone who is enabling gamigo.

You would be taken advantage of by giving you some worthless title and just enough power to make you feel special. Just so they do not have to actually pay someone to do this.

Rift Disciple

Oh, I want to bring up one other thing about this. Maybe if you do get someone you should run some of your promos by them first to see if it is a good idea or not.

I was also looking over your application questions which are in place to see if they understand their role and knew how to handle certain situations. A test question I think you should add is: should we charge 20 dollars for an ability with 15 charges for a group summon? If they say, "yes, this sounds great", you should reject that application. If they say, "no, you are going to upset an already upset player base", then snatch them up!!!!
    Last edited by Skrell; 12-13-2019 at 09:40 PM.

totally applying for this just to check out the type of questions! Wish me good luck!
    Fwob - Zaviel

Soulwalker

I don't know about this because on AA when this role got made the Devs there it feels like they totally abandoned the game. They let the CA do everything on their discord. Then when more serious exploits or issue. They do not have access to support or real staff. So I hope it doesn't happen here D":

Thumbs down

Every game I've played in the past that has tried playerGMs has, without exception, wound up having issues with favoritism, allegations of corruption, and other needless drama. Rift has enough problems already.

Not uncommon at all. Many MMORPGs have done this in the past. I became part of the guide program for EverQuest. This wasn't in the forums but in game. We were there to respond to in game tickets, investigate bug reports, deal with probs between players....Teleported people around when the boats broke down...and we also did in game events, performed marriages. It was a blast.

Not sure how it would be here, but back in the day, we had a massive book of rules we had to abide by. When we worked, an activity log was started when we fired up our guide tools. it tracked everything we said or did, so there wasn't an option to go off and help friends I enjoyed it. Did it for two years.
    Last edited by ArcticGypsy; 01-01-2020 at 03:59 PM.

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

Apologies for the super late reply.

First, we are proud to have community members who proactively engage with players on the forums and provide help whenever they can. These people deserve recognition, and on top of that we want to make it clear to the community who they can rely on to have the most recent information delivered directly by a community manager.

The list provided in the orginial post was given for a better overview over the spectrum of possible "tasks", doesn't mean that all of that is expected to be done, nor that any of that is exclusively for CAs.

The intention behind having volunteers is to increase the level of communication between the company and the community. Rest assured that volunteers won't have powers to ban people, and their personal feedback will be weighed the same as any other community member. This program has already been in place at Gamigo for many years, so we know it works well and the community gets a lot of value out of it.
    Discord: Zyra#0666

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zyra View Post

First, we are proud to have community members who proactively engage with players on the forums and provide help whenever they can. These people deserve recognition, and on top of that we want to make it clear to the community who they can rely on to have the most recent information delivered directly by a community manager.

The list provided in the orginial post was given for a better overview over the spectrum of possible "tasks", doesn't mean that all of that is expected to be done, nor that any of that is exclusively for CAs.

The intention behind having volunteers is to increase the level of communication between the company and the community. Rest assured that volunteers won't have powers to ban people, and their personal feedback will be weighed the same as any other community member. This program has already been in place at Gamigo for many years, so we know it works well and the community gets a lot of value out of it.
    Not to be a negative nancy. I see what you're saying but seeing how it is working in Archeage it doesn't work very well. Yes, it is good for like tier 1 support for basic troubleshooting to keep tickets down. But for example back in October of 2019. They had a billing cycle issue from 16-20. The team said it was fixed on the 17. But it was still happening to some people past the 17th. So people were being charged what every sub they currently had. So no one was answering tickets on this it was close to the end of the month (AKA rent was due) I was charged for a few years worth of subs. (#1298490) I tried getting a hold of a staff member about the issue. The only person I got was a CA. They told me they do not have access to talking to staff or support and they are only a volunteer. This was on the official Unchained discord. The only way I was able to get this resolved was from spamming different areas like discord,forms,soical media, and support. It wasn't till a CM on their stream saw my issue and got it partially resolved. But I was able to pay my rent on time because of it. So this is why I am very skeptical about this position is a bridge between the company and the community.

The intention behind having volunteers is to increase the level of communication between the company and the community.
    What communication?

Let me try to explain how this is a bad argument, using a very long and confusing example to prove my point.

What is the best type of communication:
    A) Boss tells employee to write an email saying Hi

Or

B) Boss tells secretary to call her husband and tell him to write a note, attach it to a carrier pigeon that flies to Australia, where the owner then relays the message by driving 4 hours to the nearest town with a post office, sends a mail that needs to be delivered personally to the Norwegian ambassador that then brings it with him on the next trip to see the King, where he hands the mail to a member of staff that drives back to the original company and personally delivers the mail to the employee?

If you want to "increase the level of communication between the company and the community" there is only ONE thing you need to do: START COMMUNICATING!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    What communication?

Let me try to explain how this is a bad argument, using a very long and confusing example to prove my point.

What is the best type of communication:
    A) Boss tells employee to write an email saying Hi

Or

B) Boss tells secretary to call her husband and tell him to write a note, attach it to a carrier pigeon that flies to Australia, where the owner then relays the message by driving 4 hours to the nearest town with a post office, sends a mail that needs to be delivered personally to the Norwegian ambassador that then brings it with him on the next trip to see the King, where he hands the mail to a member of staff that drives back to the original company and personally delivers the mail to the employee?

If you want to "increase the level of communication between the company and the community" there is only ONE thing you need to do: START COMMUNICATING!
    At this point its really starting to look like credit card fraud, which i'm sure no company has ever done in the history of ever. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than that going on here.

if Gamigo wants to improve communication they should start with actually telling us the things we want to know instead of placating us

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedanpol View Post
    At this point its really starting to look like credit card fraud, which i'm sure no company has ever done in the history of ever. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than that going on here.
    Enron....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast