Like Tree23Likes
  • 2 Post By Ambrodel
  • 3 Post By Omerr
  • 8 Post By Elayara
  • 9 Post By Skiye
  • 1 Post By Omerr

Thread: Rift vs Star Trek Online roadmaps

Default Rift vs Star Trek Online roadmaps

I know, I know, I shouldn't beat a dead horse that is lying on the ground, just minding it's own dead business, but......

Cryptic Studios, developer of Star Trek Online, just posted their roadmap for the rest of the year and January 2020. And even though it is extremely vague, it's still superior to the Rift Team Letter we got nearly 3 months ago. Take a look at the two announcements, just to compare them.

One shows repeat events, both seasonal and short ones, with barely any new actual content, and no specific dates mentioned.

The other is what we got from our developers.

Which one does it best, in your opinion?
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 08-04-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Ascendant

Rift's Producer's Letters have been a vague mishmash of trends and ideas for years now - to me they always looked like something an intern wrote together from some conference room's whiteboard 5 minutes before the text had to go online.

This was not a problem when the game itself was ok, but when the game started to look like they put as much work into it as into their Producer's letters, it became a problem. So to give credit were credit is due, this is not a problem started by Gamigo.

"Greetings ascended, everything is fine here in Trionland, except a few people got the flue and the dog ate the developer's server mainboard, so no new raid this decade, sorry. I have to stop writing now, as the repo man just came in to take my computer aw..."

You can pretty much template every producer's letter since SFP started.

---

Greetings ascended. We love our players and your satisfaction means the world to us and your feedback is always appreciated. We love our game and our players. We appreciate the community and strive to make this game the best it can be.

Due to player feedback we understand class balance is important to you all and so is new content. It's important to us too.

We have many exciting things on the horizon and and appreciate the patience of the community.

In the meantime we enabled >>Insert seasonal event developed 7 years ago<< and we're sure you'll love >>minor change only a few forum posters asked for<<.

We'd also like to assist you in your efforts to >>Insert quip phrase relating to season (ex:beat the heat for summerfest)<< by checking out the new >>Insert desaturated or recolored mount name available in the cash shop<< and other cool items available at a discount!

Again we love our players and hope to see you all in Telara.

~Producers

---

I think I nailed that one.
    Last edited by Skiye; 08-05-2019 at 04:34 AM.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Champion

considering how this company is taking over someone elses failure. and the fact they have WAY less chances to correct things PLUS are learning the ropes as they go. i think it's a crappy comparison. star trek has had WAY WAY more people working on it and maintaining it than rift has ever had. so rethink this folks. you wouldnt want to be doing surgery on someone after cleaning up crap just before surgery as a janitor. ( being the janitor is cleaning someone elses mess up while doubling as a on the fly surgeon) get it? got it? good.

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    This should be enough man.
    You're confusing information straight from the devs to their players, with articles about information.

Quote Originally Posted by sofeorus View Post
    considering how this company is taking over someone elses failure. and the fact they have WAY less chances to correct things PLUS are learning the ropes as they go.
    SOME of the (very few) people still working on this game, are old Trion people. They know the game, they don't need to learn the ropes as they go. And you're missing the point of my post. STO players got extremely vague information about what's coming and some of it is repeat events, but they did actually include some new content and told their players roughly when to expect it. There's an actual timeline of what to expect for the rest of the year. It's very very vague, but it's there. All we've heard for almost a year now is "stuff is coming, please wait". That's it. No specific plans on how they would like to do things, if possible. No specific plans that makes us look forward to this or that change, or the reason for making those changes. Just.... "please wait some more"
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 08-06-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    You're confusing information straight from the devs to their players, with articles about information.

SOME of the (very few) people still working on this game, are old Trion people. They know the game, they don't need to learn the ropes as they go. And you're missing the point of my post. STO players got extremely vague information about what's coming and some of it is repeat events, but they did actually include some new content and told their players roughly when to expect it. There's an actual timeline of what to expect for the rest of the year. It's very very vague, but it's there. All we've heard for almost a year now is "stuff is coming, please wait". That's it. No specific plans on how they would like to do things, if possible. No specific plans that makes us look forward to this or that change, or the reason for making those changes. Just.... "please wait some more"
    I just shared some example from other games tho. I mean all of them creating content and such lately.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Quote Originally Posted by sofeorus View Post
    considering how this company is taking over someone elses failure. and the fact they have WAY less chances to correct things PLUS are learning the ropes as they go. i think it's a crappy comparison. star trek has had WAY WAY more people working on it and maintaining it than rift has ever had. so rethink this folks. you wouldnt want to be doing surgery on someone after cleaning up crap just before surgery as a janitor. ( being the janitor is cleaning someone elses mess up while doubling as a on the fly surgeon) get it? got it? good.
    This is not their fist game that they have taken over. They are not new to any of this. Their motto is get the money upfront because when they get nothing for their money, they( the player base that still supports and pays for the paychecks) are gone. I am just happy with the amount of money I will be saving by not investing into the game anymore.
    Last edited by BigBeaver; 08-06-2019 at 08:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread