+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Other MMOs Like Rift?

Soulwalker

Unhappy Other MMOs Like Rift?

I haven't been able to play since earlier in the week due to all these server issues. And here we are Sunday morning (for me one of the main times during the week I can dig in and play for a few hours at a time) and my shard is locked with no update on any forum or social media I can find.

This said, why spend my time (and money, albeit the $15 a month is peanuts) playing a game that obviously there is no concern for the player base. I like a good MMO like Rift, and it has been one of my favorites for many years, but I think I need to find a new one to play that at least appears to have a future.

Are there any good MMOs out there that are like Rift? (in gameplay/leveing/gearing up, I don't care about story/lore)

I've been looking for a while. I can't find a replacement that I really enjoy.I'll be interested in suggestions if there are any.

Soulwalker
    Last edited by lee733; 07-28-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Soulwalker

I have played these in the past (please correct me on details as needed):

FF14 - free to play up to lvl 30 or so - subscriber $15
    WoW - free to play up to level 20 - sub $15
    SWTOR - F2P up to lvl 50? Subscriber $15 gets all expansions and new content
    ESO - buy to play - have to purchase expansions - subscriber gets bonuses
    Archeage - the gearing grind killed me though - F2P and $15 Patron
    Guild Wars 2 - buy to play last time i checked - have to buy all expansions

Others people have recommended
    Everquest 2
    Runescape

Soulwalker

I'm still waiting for Pantheon and others to go live....

Quote Originally Posted by Catriana View Post
    I'm still waiting for Pantheon and others to go live....
    This! It looks very promising.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Pantheon does look very good. I balked a bit at how high their pledge prices went though
    Faeblight Dimensions by Leto - Stare Into the Universe (under renovation). An Icy Reception (closed for move). Wrecked Oasis. Early Mornings and Rainbows. Run for your life (Maze). One Thousand Springs

black dessert online is worth mentioning ...
    -> Anywho@faeblight -> Morelyes@wolfsbane ->Weirdo@greybrair
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by lee733 View Post
    What an amazing trailer! The transitions are perfect, and the musical pauses are spot-on.

I love the cute and silly girl with ears and tail. And I get a kick out of the cynical guy at 0:33.

Actually, this trio reminds me a lot of the main characters in Samurai Champloo; the bouncy, happy-go-lucky girl, the reckless guy who doesn't give a damn, and the non-trusting, quiet-but-powerful guy. They're all different, but circumstances bring them together in this strange alliance. It's so great. Man, now I wanna play.

Hey, also, thanks, ZucchiniNoodles, for asking about this. It was one of those questions I wanted to ask but was too afraid to ask, myself.

Edit: Oh wtf is this...
    "Today marks the end of the rocky life of WildStar. After failing to live up to lofty expectations over the years. Carbine Studios announced in September that the game would be shut down and that the studio would be closing. Since the announcement, players have been able to enjoy the full game without restriction and with a number of in-game events firing off for the last time. In addition, Carbine provided fans a look at the content that was never released as part of a bittersweet farewell.
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 by Suzie Ford"
    Last edited by Sarleaf; 07-28-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    70 Cleric Sarleaf@Hailol, BoS tank, PvP healer
    alts: Frazzleweed@Hailol (lvl 24 mage); Sarifiber@Typhiria (lvl 7 warrior)
    Rift PvP videos: https://tinyurl.com/y2dl6oym

The answer to OP question is....there is not another game like Rift.

In rift you are not forced to group up in order to finish a quest or to just casually play. You can join others to do anything as long as you see a 'public group' message. Rift you can shard hop to farm or finish a quest. You don't receive damage for jumping off a cliff or mountain.

The main thing for me is dimensions and there is not one single game that is comparable. There are games that have housing but they are restricted in a lot of ways. ESO, FF14, Aion, Lotro, EQ, they are all limited in some way or another. Not so in Rift, they give you a huge plot of land and you can build anything on land, in sea, or in the sky that your imagination can think up. You can build a house, a town, something in space etc. Most dimensions have about 2000+ items that you can place, up to 5000. Compare that to being able to place 120 items up to a 200 on another game in a preset house. That is a huge difference and this is why dimensions are such a huge plus for Rift.

Gamigo you have something no one else has. Please don't mess it up.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by lee733 View Post
    https://www.pcgamer.com/wildstar-and...shutting-down/
    since november 2018

To the OP :
    as already mentioned, you're not going to find a clone of Rift anywhere but you can have a look here : https://bestreamer.com/gaming/most-played-mmorpg-2019/ , this list is based on popularity then the choice is up to your favorite playstyle.
    Here what I can say about some of mmos :
    - Neverwinter, it's a Cryptic Studios game. If you've played Champions Online, you know what it means and you want to avoid NWO.
    - B&S : NCSoft shut down City of Heroes to finance this game. They even got the original designer Hyung Tae Kim to quit the studio. Enough said about what to expect there.
    - GW2 : another NCSoft game and buy to play.
    Last edited by holloweaver; 07-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Soulwalker

I spent 11 years playing EQ, 8 years playing RIFT, and now like others, I'm eagerly awaiting Pantheon!

I'm still into RIFT for the shinies, though.

#forevercollecting

Soulwalker

Default Been gone a good while but...

I was playing Rift from 2011 until a couple years ago. Same with Runes of Magic which has not been mentioned yet. Just throwing I out there while I DL ROM. I'd rather continue on Rift but..

you really should not be judging games by there trailer ... any trailer can be made to look good and is rarely representative of what actually in the game ... seriously judging a game based on it trailer is like judging a book by its cover, its whats on the inside that counts ...
    -> Anywho@faeblight -> Morelyes@wolfsbane ->Weirdo@greybrair
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Rift Chaser

Default I went through this in 2017... MMO choices...

I have the ghost of a guild on Hailol. Most of my raiders left after SFP came out- which was an awful rollout- no raid, only 1-2 dungeons working, lots of bugs, and it was not free (it was 40.00 US dollars). Sure eventually it became free- but that was long after many raiders left. I started scouting other games to move what I could salvage of the guild. FFIV is a very good game- but I do not like the art very much. Tera is great for those who like open world PvP- I do not. Guild Wars is not exactly centered on progression- which I enjoy. I do enjoy lore- a good story gives me a reason to grind. All MMOs grind- but there should be enough reward in it to keep you interested. Black Desert Online is great- but it was missing heart. I ended up creating a guild in World of Warcraft. I- and the few guildies that came over with me- enjoy it. It is lively, has frequent content, and there is a lot to do. The interface reminds me of Rift, but the engine and customer service is better. It has its grindy issues- but there are those who think it is too easy and are eagerly awaiting Classic- which is coming out next month. I would throw out a cautionary tale about Pantheon. It lives day to day on crowdfunding and investors- and has been in the Alpha phase - that I know about- for 5 years. It is not going public any time soon. It does look promising- but the financials are not there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast