+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Other MMOs Like Rift?

Some of my favourite MMORPG memories are the original Onyxia and Ragnaros raids... by the fibre be purged! Was more to do with the crazy bastages we were raiding with, mind you... good ole Crimson Raiders @ Silverhand.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Try AoC Age of Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    by the fibre be purged!
    The battle cry of old gamers everywhere.

This be the image:

De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

That's... hilarious.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Malkaar View Post
    I have played these in the past (please correct me on details as needed):

FF14 - free to play up to lvl 30 or so - subscriber $15
    WoW - free to play up to level 20 - sub $15
    SWTOR - F2P up to lvl 50? Subscriber $15 gets all expansions and new content
    ESO - buy to play - have to purchase expansions - subscriber gets bonuses
    Archeage - the gearing grind killed me though - F2P and $15 Patron
    Guild Wars 2 - buy to play last time i checked - have to buy all expansions

Others people have recommended
    Everquest 2
    Runescape
    I looked up FF14 and got an error message. I'm guessing my Mac's graphics card is too wimpy. And here I was, all set to create a character called Fernleaf.

I think a big thing that makes Rift special is that it can be played for free (without inputing any credit card info). I haven't put any money into the game itself—just 40 bucks for CrossOver (program that allows me to play Windows games on a Mac).

I might just try that Archeage game, I guess? I have no idea what it's about, but hopefully they have raids. I really do love the tank-healer-dps group format (or maybe I'm just used to it? maybe I should branch out and try new things, lol). Hm. Now. I wonder if Archeage has flowers...

Edit: does anyone else play archeage?

Edit again: I was curious about Elder Scrolls online, but my laptop didn't have enough space, so I deleted a bunch of files, including Rift/Glyph. Now I have room. Maybe it's just a sign that it's time to move on. ::shrug::
    Last edited by Sarleaf; 08-04-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: sneaking in a goodbye without drawing too much attention to myself on the forums
    70 Cleric Sarleaf@Hailol, BoS tank, PvP healer
    alts: Frazzleweed@Hailol (lvl 24 mage); Sarifiber@Typhiria (lvl 7 warrior)
    Rift PvP videos: https://tinyurl.com/y2dl6oym

If no flowers, it surely now has a Leaf

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

Rift Disciple

Well, I have attempted twice now, to install Elder Scrolls Online.

In the beginning, it told me I didn't have enough disk space, so I deleted Rift, OBS and stuff I wasn't using such as Microsoft PowerPoint, along with as much stuff from iTunes as possible.

Once I had cleared enough space, then it allowed me to begin installation.

But now, after two attempts at installation, even though it tells me I have enough space (barely, apparently, lol), later on (the next day, as it's still installing) it gives me constant error messages that my disk is almost full, and the installation app says the ESO files are unable to be downloaded (patch files or something).

I'm not entirely sure if I'll really be able to play this game. >.< and I don't want to spend my student loan money on gaming right now (such as buying a gaming laptop or upgrading my internet speed--I just have basic internet for now). I've already wasted 12 dollars, but at least it wasn't more than that. I should have read the specs required. I'm surprised my laptop isn't able to handle ESO, because I originally bought it for the purpose of video editing and motion graphic design, so it should be able to handle large files.

...Bah. Oh well.

I think I should've stuck with rift >.<
    70 Cleric Sarleaf@Hailol, BoS tank, PvP healer
    alts: Frazzleweed@Hailol (lvl 24 mage); Sarifiber@Typhiria (lvl 7 warrior)
    Rift PvP videos: https://tinyurl.com/y2dl6oym

Plane Touched

I'll give it a shot.

No game is going to be like Rift. It had actual innovation when it first came out. I can give you a list of MMOs out there that I have played, though.

World of Warcraft: the staple MMO. The new expansion isn't bad, but it's still a far cry from the heady days of vanilla and Burning Crusade. Numbers have been on a decline, to the point in 2015 (I believe) Blizzard said they'd no longer be offering the subscriber numbers in quarterly statements. It's not dead by any stretch of the imagination, but it's been gutted a lot. WoW Classic is coming out 28 August and it will be like it used to be, when the game was actually something special. I'd hold out for that if you want an actual challenge. Also it's buy to play, and a subscription is required.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Free-to-play, but it's not really worth it in my honest opinion. They've been pumping out lower-quality content the past few expansions and churning out more and more MTX. It's also a Bioware game, and considering Anthem has all but died (their last update on Anthem was 18 June, despite the earnings call prior to it saying it would be kept alive because they believed it could be fixed) SWTOR is assumed to be in a similar state, despite them announcing a new expansion for September.

Elder Scrolls Online: If you liked Skyrim then you'll probably enjoy ESO. It's buy-to-play and you get perks as a subscriber, but there's constant content being turned out. In my opinion, it's one of the few games worth paying a subscription for. The game started off rough but has had a huge turnaround.

Warframe: Free-to-play, and it gets nothing but positive reviews. You don't have to play too hard to accomplish things in the game.

EVE Online: A sandbox MMO unlike any other. Takes a long time to feel comfortable in, but you'll never really know everything. It's also a PvPers paradise, as it can happen when you least expect it. Scamming is also prevalent. Free-to-play with restrictions, and subscribers get perks. Unlike most other MMOs, you can pay for your game time using the in-game currency (the item is called the PLEX, and when I stopped playing roughly eight months ago, it was going for 1.5-billion ISK, I believe, and it's still roughly around there). It's a huge time sink because you need to actually be at the controls most of the time, though you can "level" while offline.

Some other games to consider:

ARK: Survival Evolved: DINOSAURS YAY. The company that makes it feels very novice, even after these years. There's definitely a feeling of they got in over their heads, and they screw up often both in terms of customer service and deployment. This is a DEFINITE time sink game, and if you decide to buy it (the base game and three expansions) I would recommend looking at unofficial servers, as they have increased gathering rates, EXP gain, taming rates, etc. As a note, the game is currently on sale on Steam. You can get all of it for about $50.00 USD, including taxes. On the plus side, it's free-to-play after that.

Path of Exile: Constant updates (roughly every three months). The current league (Legion) is coming to an end in about a month. It's like Diablo III but far more customizable. There's a lot of interaction between the developers and the community; for instance, we had a rollback of a patch because it deleted some fossils (crafting materials). A day later, Chris Wilson (head dev) put out a letter stating exactly what happened, what they did to resolve the issue, and how they can improve in the future. This has been a constant thing with them, and the game is worth playing. It's free-to-play, but you'll feel guilty if you like it not putting money into it. In order to use the trade function (through their website or poe.trade) you have to buy a specific set of tabs. MTX can be pricey. In my opinion, this is a game worth your attention.

That's about all. I have played other games (The Division II, Destiny II, FFXIV, Guild Wars) but I haven't touched them in months, so it wouldn't be fair to throw that in. I hope this helps!

Soulwalker

Plane Walker

Default Not been on the forums in ages

Probably not been on the forum in ages, but was curious what was going on.

I played until 4.0 and left after it became apparent they had no desire to add any remotely challenging content anymore. Held on as I watched 90% of the clan leave, and finally bailed also.

Not sure I'm waiting for another game, but probably would consider one.

I really don't have many hopes for Pantheon, but who knows. Seems to be such a glut right now, I'd probably give it a try. But given it's Mcquaid, it could be 10 years away yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3