• 3 Post By Faerugue
  • 1 Post By Seshatar
  • 1 Post By Raapnaap
  • 2 Post By Faerugue

Thread: Merger Mismanagement

Soulwalker

Default Merger Mismanagement

Greetings,

I am posting this on behalf of a family member, who is unable to post this herself.

She has played Rift for many years, was subscribed and bought credits quite often. During her time on Rift she leveled many characters and paid real money to customize them, and she spent a lot of time on them. Suffice it to say she had a lot of investment in these characters.

When the merger was announced she was confused by the initial information provided, so I checked up on it myself and it did not take me long to see why. The initial announcement had barely any critical information, and it wasn't until some partially hidden Q&A that the bomb came in; The merger, which at the time was intended to result in fewer servers than it ended up being, would maintain the 12/13 character slots per server maximum, and that remaining characters would not get transferred.

Edit for Clarification: Specifically, we were told that Typheria was to be the sole merger destination server, and that Typheria would only allow for 12/13 characters. The rest was left for players to figure out.

Of course the fine details of which character was going to be kept were never made clear, the whole situation was left up to players to figure out. It's like Gamigo never properly learned how to communicate critical information.

So in an effort to preserve her 'most preferred' characters, she had to delete a whole bunch of others to ensure she could fit 12 on the - at the time - sole remaining server. That's a lot of time and real money deleted because Gamigo couldn't be bothered to clearly communicate or find a way to lift the 12/13 character slot per server limit. Of course, now it turns out that the mergers only ended up merging 3 servers, but this information came out far too late (well after the initially planned merge date), as she already deleted the characters before the first planned merger attempt. And to add insult to injury, one of her "main" characters ended up needing a name change post-merger.

This whole merger process has been so incredibly amateuristic to witness unfolding, that I personally have never seen anything quite as bad as this in the MMO industry. Something so awful as being forced to delete MMORPG characters with years of persistence (and real money) tied to them, is completely unheard of. Gamigo should feel ashamed about how they handled this, and no amount of compensation can ever correct this.

Edit: Added some clarification about the Typheria destination server 12/13 character limit.
    Last edited by Raapnaap; 07-12-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Raapnaap View Post
    Greetings,

This whole merger process has been so incredibly amateuristic to witness unfolding, that I personally have never seen anything quite as bad as this in the MMO industry. Something so awful as being forced to delete MMORPG characters with years of persistence (and real money) tied to them, is completely unheard of. Gamigo should feel ashamed about how they handled this, and no amount of compensation can ever correct this.
    Amateuristic isn't the word, even combined with incredibly. It's a disaster. Whoever thought Trion had gone on a very slippery slope in the last year, well, we know by now that it CAN get worse.

Gamigo won't feel ashamed, they don't feel a thing. Rift has been shelved. There is no Rift team left and those players that are still here will be bled for every penny they are willing to part with before the poor hamsters will finally get their rest.

Your family member isn't the only one who has had to go through this, unfortunately.

So in an effort to preserve her 'most preferred' characters, she had to delete a whole bunch of others to ensure she could fit 12 on the - at the time - sole remaining server.
    While I agree that the merger overall was a disaster, it was clear from the beginning that at least Brisesol, Brutwacht and Typhiria will remain (only Bloodiron was added later). That was from the original announcement and at at no time it was announced or stated that only 1 server would remain.

And to add insult to injury, one of her "main" characters ended up needing a name change post-merger.
    This always happened during all merges, even during RIFTs best years. You are responsible yourself to reserve your name on all shards if you want to be sure to keep them. There are better systems nowadays in other games that have only a unique account name and no unique character names anymore (or options for last names etc.), but in RIFT this has always been managed like this.

That being said, I think the merge brought more disadvantages than advantages (less shards to hop on / resource nodes / zone events / character slots), at least for now. We don't know the plans for the future, but I can understand the frustration.

Regarding the deleted characters I'd try my luck with CS. Usually they should be able to restore some of the characters and place them on the other remaining shards.
    Last edited by Seshatar; 07-12-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    While I agree that the merger overall was a disaster, it was clear from the beginning that at least Brisesol, Brutwacht and Typhiria will remain (only Bloodiron was added later). That was from the original announcement and at at no time it was announced or stated that only 1 server would remain.

This always happened during all merges, even during RIFTs best years. You are responsible yourself to reserve your name on all shards if you want to be sure to keep them. There are better systems nowadays in other games that have only a unique account name and no unique character names anymore (or options for last names etc.), but in RIFT this has always been managed like this.

That being said, I think the merge brought more disadvantages than advantages (less shards to hop on / resource nodes / zone events / character slots), at least for now. We don't know the plans for the future, but I can understand the frustration.

Regarding the deleted characters I'd try my luck with CS. Usually they should be able to restore some of the characters and place them on the other remaining shards.
    I believe the problem was that she literally had characters everywhere already, and that the issues ultimately were caused by the lack of transparency regarding how character transfers would be handled in case of being over 12/13 on the destination server, which is Typheria. So from all the servers, a supposedly random set was to be transferred to Typheria? This was never made properly clear, at least not initially.

To the best of her ability she prepared for that "one destination server" scenario before the initially planned merge date. Never was there a mention of characters also getting transferred to Brutwacht or Brisesol (or Bloodiron).

Edit: I'm not sure if she even wants to deal with CS right now, she has been completely disheartened from playing Rift over this mess. She requested me to post this to help express her feelings about it.
    Last edited by Raapnaap; 07-12-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Soulwalker

I believe the problem was that she literally had characters everywhere already, and that the issues ultimately were caused by the lack of transparency regarding how character transfers would be handled in case of being over 12/13 on the destination server, which is Typheria. So from all the servers, a supposedly random set was to be transferred to Typheria? This was never made properly clear, at least not initially.

To the best of her ability she prepared for that "one destination server" scenario before the initially planned merge date. Never was there a mention of characters also getting transferred to Brutwacht or Brisesol (or Bloodiron).
    It was never mentioned that a transfer to Bri/Brut/Blood was happening because there wasn't. All that really needed to be gleaned from the info given was that Gelidra/Zaviel would be gone and your characters from there would be moved automatically to Typhiria.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by derpfx View Post
    It was never mentioned that a transfer to Bri/Brut/Blood was happening because there wasn't. All that really needed to be gleaned from the info given was that Gelidra/Zaviel would be gone and your characters from there would be moved automatically to Typhiria.
    Exactly, this was all the information provided initially, so players had to come up with their own conclusions. I know she was not the only person forced to delete characters to try and stay below that 12 character limit for Typheria.

Everything else was just assumptions with no confirmations.

Soulwalker

Exactly, this was all the information provided initially, so players had to come up with their own conclusions. I know she was not the only person forced to delete characters to try and stay below that 12 character limit for Typheria.

Everything else was just assumptions with no confirmations.
    One of the other things I'm sure I read was that the characters WOULD still exist, you just can't see them. So if they can move some chars from Typhiria to other shards, then the missing toons should appear. I could be imagining that but that's the idea I had.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by derpfx View Post
    One of the other things I'm sure I read was that the characters WOULD still exist, you just can't see them. So if they can move some chars from Typhiria to other shards, then the missing toons should appear. I could be imagining that but that's the idea I had.
    That part was never perfectly clear. At the time other people (both here and in-game) were all speaking of deleting characters to fit 12 on the destination server. So you could argue a lot of people failed to understand this important piece of the merger... Or Gamigo dropped the ball on properly explaining it.

Even if this "backlog of characters" is a thing (Is it? Has anyone actually confirmed it?), that still leaves the awkward mess of having a bunch of inaccessible characters that might as well have been deleted.

Ascendant

That part was never perfectly clear. At the time other people (both here and in-game) were all speaking of deleting characters to fit 12 on the destination server. So you could argue a lot of people failed to understand this important piece of the merger... Or Gamigo dropped the ball on properly explaining it.

Even if this "backlog of characters" is a thing (Is it? Has anyone actually confirmed it?), that still leaves the awkward mess of having a bunch of inaccessible characters that might as well have been deleted.
    There have been questions about how this would be handled. Gamigo never cared enough to give us ANY insights OR answers, it's as simple as that.

I did post on the matter more often..

I will replace char with toon in the following, to prevent misreadings between char and shard...

The policy on toon slots on shards and merges was and still is, that you can have as many toons visible on a shard as you have toon slots unlocked.

A merger will move ALL toons from the source shard(s) to the destination shard

In this case.. ALL toons from Zaviel and Gelidra to Typhiria.
    Toon slots unlocked only indicates how many toons you can see and directly access.

In the (updated) shard list in the character log in screen you can see how many toons are actually on the Shard. This number is not necessarily the same as the number of toon slots unlocked.

So you can have 20 toons on a Shard after a merge but only those. for which you have unlocked a toon slot, will be visible. the max for unlocked toon slots is 13.

As long as you have unlocked toon slots on other shards available, you can transfer your toons to those shards. This will free up a slot on that shard, making one of the invisible toons available again for direct access and transfer.

So basically, you can keep up and access 52 toons max at the same time, 13 per shard.
    For transfer options, you will need at least one free slot on any of the shards.

posting from the previous merge attempt...
    The questions for Gamigo and/or the answers to those questions are not important anymore.. The other information in the post might still be of use..

Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post

As Caduto also mentioned.. With more toons than the max character slots on a shard, the overload of toons will become invisible.

((I asked before in a post, but never saw an answer from Gamigo...
    will dimensions of the invisible characters be accessible by players.
    And will chars from the same account/shard be able to work in those dimensions..

Will gamigo in the future take action to delete any chars that are ln that overload?

Depending on the answers, you may wish to refrain from deleting chars. ))

Last minute advice... move your toons around, so the ones you want to play often are on either Brisesol, Brutwacht or Bloodiron, since these shards will not have issues with any overload/invisibility of chars.

Those with less dimensions functionality, attraction or w/e lesser importance level to you, let those on gelidra and zaviel. And try to keep one or 2 char slots open on Brisesol, Brutwacht and/or Bloodiron, so you can move 1 or 2 toons after merge to at least secure those and see what toons become visible

Stack dim items on a f2p account... can create 2 level 1s on brutwacht, brisesol, typhiria and bloodiron.. that's 8 chars with basic 50 slot storage in bank/bags and 105 guild slots for 31 plat per char... That's some 1080 storage slots for 250 plat to store dim items

And if need be, can invest a few plat in bags, to create extra space per char
    or create 2 f2p accounts and create 2160 slots storage for 500 plat

And make sure any plat is on either Brutwacht, Bloodiron or Brisesol, so nothing can happen to that.. Since these shards will/should have no issues/bugs from the mergers or changes in character order/character slot occupation
    Last edited by Aranka; 07-12-2019 at 12:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread