Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TigerhawkT3
  • 2 Post By Refuge
  • 1 Post By TigerhawkT3

Thread: The definition of "free"

Plane Touched

Default The definition of "free"

without cost or payment.
    If you exchange some kind of resource in order to receive another resource in return, that's either a purchase (if it involves currency for goods and services) or barter (if only goods and services are exchanged, but no money). Time is such a resource: if you have to spend your time doing some sort of work in order to receive another resource, you didn't get that resource for free. Whether you work a regular job to earn cash and exchange that for credits, or grind plat to exchange for REX which someone purchased for cash, none of that counts as free. Thus, believing REX is free because it can be purchased with plat is equivalent to seeing a sign reading "free sandwiches: $5" and thinking that you're getting a good deal. I mean, all you have to do is hand over $5, and then you get free stuff, right?

Unfortunately not.

Hopefully, this clears up a common misconception some consumers seem to have and helps those misguided individuals make wiser decisions in the future.

Yeahhhhno.

By your definition dropped gear isn't free either as you have to spend time in dungeons or raids etc to get the drops.

It's more like pay to get a massive time boost in Rift, assuming the RNG gods favour you...
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

You could be pendantic like that if you want. I work full time and spend money on Rift to save the grind time. Out of my wage I'm spending about 20 a month on the game.

Someone then asks me, why are you spending so much money on the game? I asked them if they worked, they said no. So I replied, I spend 20 on a game every month, you spend 1000+ on the game every month, because every hour you're spending on grinding you could be earning money. Who's spending more money on the game? And you call me p2w?

Not hard to twist things like that :/
    Last edited by Refuge; 07-11-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    Yeahhhhno.

By your definition dropped gear isn't free either as you have to spend time in dungeons or raids etc to get the drops.

It's more like pay to get a massive time boost in Rift, assuming the RNG gods favour you...
    Technically true in a way because TANSTAAFL, but exchanging plat for REX that someone bought with cash should be easy to identify as "not free"... or so I would think. Anyway, I'm hoping my explanation above clears it up at least a little bit, for some readers.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    You could be pendantic like that if you want. I work full time and spend money on Rift to save the grind time. Out of my wage I'm spending about 20 a month on the game.

Someone then asks me, why are you spending so much money on the game? I asked them if they worked, they said no. So I replied, I spend 20 on a game every month, you spend 1000+ on the game every month, because every hour you're spending on grinding you could be earning money. Who's spending more money on the game? And you call me p2w?

Not hard to twist things like that :/
    I'm not sure how any of that is pedantry.

Your response to your acquaintance seems pretty spot-on. The difference between real work and in-game work being, of course, that it's a lot easier to acquire resources in a game, as they're basically Skinner boxes where anyone can just jump in and start pressing a lever for rewards (which explains why inflation is often so problematic in these games).

i don't understand the point of this thread anymore here when you wasted everyone's time discussing this in 1-29 chat ... free has a different value to everyone just like money has a different value to everyone in all parts of the world. it also depends on how the word is used ...
    -> Anywho@faeblight -> Morelyes@wolfsbane ->Weirdo@greybrair
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Rift Chaser

Nothings free in this world. Real life or in game. There is something to give to get be it currency, or time, or something else.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

sofar, sunrise is still free..

but nothing is for free, all takes time to acquire, no matter what you pay or don't pay for it.

exchanging stuff/physical trade is not for free either.. you did spend either time or money or effort to acquire the item you are trading..

For free in Rift world basically means access to 99% of the game quests and content, without paying cash or spending credits/rex.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
    i don't understand the point of this thread anymore here when you wasted everyone's time discussing this in 1-29 chat ... free has a different value to everyone just like money has a different value to everyone in all parts of the world. it also depends on how the word is used ...
    Complaining that I'm "wasting" people's time with this topic doesn't seem like the most logical way to disagree with me about time having value...

+ Reply to Thread