+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By qqmoarploxify
  • 1 Post By Burnlogic
  • 1 Post By qqmoarploxify
  • 1 Post By Burnlogic

Thread: Should I invest time into this game?

Telaran

Default Should I invest time into this game?

I love Rift, ever since I started playing back in vanilla. The start of this latest expansion though had me really down in the dumps. My questions to the community are:

Should I come back to the game and invest time into it?
    How is this new company treating the game?
    Can we foresee the game living for at least a couple more years?

I'd love to come back, I just don't want to invest time into a game that is in a perpetual state of death, if Rift is not like that now I'd love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by qqmoarploxify View Post
    I love Rift, ever since I started playing back in vanilla. The start of this latest expansion though had me really down in the dumps. My questions to the community are:

I'd love to come back, I just don't want to invest time into a game that is in a perpetual state of death, if Rift is not like that now I'd love to know.
    That's incredibly subjective.

I.e., you could start a new character and enjoy weeks of mostly unbroken content for free. But as you inevitably approach level caps and work your way through existing expansions (an inherent need for MMOs, and part of the reason why 'Prime' and progression servers never become explosively popular), you will begin to see the degradation of game quality -- sort of like playing through a timeline of Rift's development/team size-skill/collapse.

TL;DR: Sure, spend some time. Just don't spend any money until meaningful plans are set forth by Gamigo.

"But if nobody spends money, how will the game survive?"

That's not our problem. A company purchased Trion's assets and game services. It's up to them to prove to players of this Free-To-Play game that it's worth spending hard-earned money on the game's microtransactions and quasi-subscription.

Unless you're a die-hard wishing well fanatic, be careful about spending money here (for now).

Telaran

Thanks,

On a side note though... I'd say prime failed mainly because of how non-vanilla it really was. Most people couldn't get through the level grind that took 10x longer then it did in vanilla and didn't create cohesive gameplay with quests and those that did mostly saw through the facade.

This very much depends on what you expect from the game. Compared to the launch of the current expansion, there is actually some content to do now. Class balance is not at it's best but also not at it's worst state and all the activity pretty much happens in end game. If you not solely focus on raid or pvp, but instead of a mix of activities, you'll find a lot to explore and achieve.

They stated they want to continue to support all previous Trion games in the future. To what extent is yet to be shown. Fact is that many devs have been laid off, but a few are still remaining / were re-hired after Trion was shut down. There are also plenty of new CMs who in my opinion are very active and try to assist where they can.

Gamigo is not known to shut down games, some of theirs are almost 15 years old and are still supported. So you can be pretty certain that the game will continue to run, however it's not yet known how much updates the game will get. It'll probably be something between "turning world events on- and off with some QoL improvements and bug fixes" to "a new zone here and there, maybe a new dungeon or raid at some point". A new expansion would be very much depending on player numbers and revenue and would probably be rather small.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Thanks,

On a side note though... I'd say prime failed mainly because of how non-vanilla it really was. Most people couldn't get through the level grind that took 10x longer then it did in vanilla and didn't create cohesive gameplay with quests and those that did mostly saw through the facade.
    Yeah, I heard that and was instantly turned-off by Prime.
    I figured it would be a hack job of the actual original Rift experience, with balance and pacing all over the place, as the current game's stat creep spirals down the rabbit hole.

There's only so much you can strip away.

+ Reply to Thread