+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: When are we getting the next expansion?

I dont think we will see a expansion. I know everyone here has a expectation kinda but they will not release it soon for sure maybe 2 or 3 years later you can see a expansion if game still alive. I even ask via discord to CM are we gonna see some kinda Dev Diary or Roadmap soon at least 3 week passed still no answer :P
    Last edited by Omerr; 05-13-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Telaran

I'll take an optimistic view on this question. Lets say they do plan on doing an expansion, I want to outline some of the cornerstone issues currently in the game.

The biggest issue that is currently delaying the Tier 3 raids for the current expansion, is that the 32 bit client does not support integers over 2.1 billion. Which means that our boi at the end of TDNM has the maximum health possible in the game currently. If we use this expansion as a basis for the next, multiply the DPS by a number and health has to go up accordingly. They can't do this unless they entirely rework their game architecture and drop 32 bit support completely. Personally, I don't think it will alienate a huge amount of players, but the actual reason for hesitation is the work and money required to make that investment. The game engine is older than dirt and already so tweaked and mcgyvered into oblivion that they might as well just make their own.

That is, unless they implement a separate system to handle this scaling. I'll use WoW as an example, where they scale the content so that high end raiders are doing only tens of thousands of dps, and bosses have only a couple hundred million health. Currently bosses in Rift have billions of health to compensate for the fact that players are doing over a million dps, and probably more if we saw full tier 3 gear and the fragment system was fully fleshed out. This system would also require significant resource time and money.

So which method would you choose for a game with a dwindling player base? I have confidence the game could be popular again, its a golden goose, especially among Trion's other properties. But it requires a leap of faith and probably bleeding money for an investment that is uncertain. And that is not what businesses are into, they are worried about making money.

I came up with a rough sketch for an expansion that could potentially bring it back / save money on development and Ill take another opportunity to stand on my soap box and preach it to anyone who is interested. We are already soaring on a comet that is crossing the universe. We are fighting crucia again. She needs to die off at some point. She is the only villain IMO that has an impact and has followed us since the beginnings. The meteor passes back near the planet and Crucia flees back to Mathosia. This is her last ditch attempt. She destroys Sanctum and Meridian and forms a giant crater in the middle of the ocean. This would add incentive for players to fight back against what she's done. Players care about Sanctum and Meridian since most of us have had wonderful memories there. This would also save on development resources and bring high end players back to the beginning zones creating that "awe factor" of seeing a high level player that gives incentive to low levels to climb the ranks. She uses horrible mutation and amalgamation monstrosities to form her new army because she is running out of resources and makes a bum rush to make any friends. Maybe she resurrects Alsbeth into some god forsaken creature that yearns for death. Anyway, we follow her until she is cornered and in a climactic fight, we end it once and for all. And Rift goes with a bang or rekindles from the ashes. Either way its a good impactful place in story for this to happen.

With this idea, I'd recommend we don't add any new abilities or levels or anything. Focus on building a system that fixes the current problems and see about fleshing out and making older content more fun / rewarding to play. The idea is to tradeoff devtime for new abilities and all that riff raff for class balance and adding more fun to the game instead of bloat.

Either way, that's my idea, feel free to use it, change it, twist it around however you like!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSand View Post
    snip wall of text
    soo, um, can't create boss with debuff -50% damage from all sources, call it "aegis of the 32bit" and call it a day?

then again, 32bit excuse works to not make new raids

Which means that our boi at the end of TDNM has the maximum health possible in the game currently. That is, unless they implement a separate system to handle this scaling. I'll use WoW as an example, where they scale the content so that high end raiders are doing only tens of thousands of dps, and bosses have only a couple hundred million health. Currently bosses in Rift have billions of health to compensate for the fact that players are doing over a million dps
    I'm one of the "used to be hardcore raider-left in 2013-returned in 2018-got-all-caught-up" players, and my initial reaction to 65-70 was "Holy stat-bloat, Batman!"

It's effing enormous. I left at a time of 14k dps (25k spike) raid peak, and returned to 1 million dps. And the accompanying proportionate absurd-looking raid enemy HPs, equipment stats, etc.

Obviously as an avid online game player, I've seen similar stat-bloating in several other mature MMOs, but some have found more elegant ways to reel it in, so to speak, over the years. Before it ran out of control.

'Tis the fate of any long-running MMO title with RPG advancement/character progression systems. Some players retreat to classic state MMO servers to escape that integer quagmire.

...of course classic servers eventually run into the problem of players needing more progression options, and the steps leading to that future stat-bloat will repeat, unless corrected. But the future's already been written.

(anyway, Scaling Mechanisms and Buffs/Debuffs)
    Last edited by Burnlogic; 05-14-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatacid View Post
    soo, um, can't create boss with debuff -50% damage from all sources, call it "aegis of the 32bit" and call it a day?

then again, 32bit excuse works to not make new raids
    That would work, but its a bandaid solution. It would just wind up being another Legendary Hit system. If there was another expansion to build ontop of this one, then every mob in the open world would need that buff. It has no future proofing. It would just be better imo to introduce T3 raids with complex mechanics that extend the fight and focus on a new system that has better permanence than something that wastes time and money.

Rift Disciple

That would work, but its a bandaid solution. It would just wind up being another Legendary Hit system. If there was another expansion to build ontop of this one, then every mob in the open world would need that buff. It has no future proofing. It would just be better imo to introduce T3 raids with complex mechanics that extend the fight and focus on a new system that has better permanence than something that wastes time and money.
    Uum, from the experience of playing Rift for a year since I returned, a T3 raid with buffs on boss or player debuffs, would last easy 2-3 years which gives enough time to see how things go. 32bit talk is an excuse, nothing more.

Complex mechanics = more hp, right! You should clearly stop everything you do and start developing MMOs

If a boss has 1bil hp and adds have 500mil hp and your total raid dps is 10mil dps, how does that compare to 2bil boss and 1bil hp adds with raid dps of 20 mil dps? It's pretty simple math, but clearly the second fight is FAR more complex, right?
    Last edited by Ieatacid; 05-15-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Plane Touched

they could fix alot of issues pvp/pve if they did a state crunch. where enemies have about the same hp as players and curb dps to fit these numbers. this would also help pvp since all abilities would be set around #'s close to the players hp pool.
    my raf code 6WF67QEYJYY7TLCMY2M7
    get some free stuff but you'll have to be my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Neuronfly View Post
    The article that you linked doesn't answer anything about the future of Rift. We as loyal customers have the right to know whether our favorite game will get future expansions or not. Is it worth spending time on this game or is it finally time to move on? We need an honest and clear answer from Gamigo.
    Gamigo are merging EU servers, removing the PVP server in the process, because there are not enough people playing the game.

There's as much chance of another expansion as of Earth spawning a second moon.
    Last edited by Captain Kremmen; 05-18-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kremmen View Post
    Gamigo are merging EU servers, removing the PVP server in the process
    On this particular point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyra View Post

Additionally, after thoroughly discussing the future and possibilities of the pvp shard, we have decided to keep Bloodiron.

New Merged Layout:
    • Bloodiron (PVP)
    • Brutwacht (German)
    • Brisesol (French)
    • Typhiria (English / xChat Host)
    • Cahail (Hidden Instance Host)

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5376745

Let's face it, we live now in the times so many people have warned about. Is it possible to make a turnaround? - Eventually, but it needs some ressources and we dont know if they are granted.

I think they should do Rift: Cataclysm: Reworking the starting/classic zones, adding quests here and there, updating art assets and so on. And then calling it Rift 2.0. doing a marketing offensive "check out Rift 2.0, get free - insert reward - if you login between so and so".

Telaran

I say as a temporary fix, give raid bosses a heal cast that is uninterruptible and let the boss cast it 3 times at say 30% health that heals them to full health. And after every cast, new raid mechanics come into play. That way raiders are still doing their dps and the boss will in some way "have" more hp.

Soulwalker

Gamigo will spend v little time and cash until they see what happens with the player base.

They are silent because they will not promise expansions they know full well may never happen nor will they say that they are reducing cost and waiting as that would cause more players to leave.

I'm enjoying the game (but not the grumbles or the servers) and there is still lots to do.

Rift Disciple

Gamigo said they will decide Rift's future by end on 2019.

Go quick and buy battlepass or 175 of them, because this is the only way the game will continue. Currently, seeing how amateurish everything is done by them, 2020 may be last year for Rift.

You think they will keep up a game that sold what, 1000 battle passes? 10000$? That pays 2 persons salary and taxes for 1 month. Even if they sold 10 000 battlepasses, it's still a fraction that is required to keep things running, fix bugs and maybe add something new in a full year period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatacid View Post
    Gamigo said they will decide Rift's future by end on 2019.

Go quick and buy battlepass or 175 of them, because this is the only way the game will continue. Currently, seeing how amateurish everything is done by them, 2020 may be last year for Rift.

You think they will keep up a game that sold what, 1000 battle passes? 10000$? That pays 2 persons salary and taxes for 1 month. Even if they sold 10 000 battlepasses, it's still a fraction that is required to keep things running, fix bugs and maybe add something new in a full year period.
    People buying a load of Battle Passes is not going to save Rift. Rift needs many thousands of returning/new players coming to the game and spending money. With no incentive to do so, that is not going to happen.

Rift is doomed and you'd have to be mad to spend money on it.
    Last edited by Captain Kremmen; 05-21-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kremmen View Post
    People buying a load of Battle Passes is not going to save Rift. Rift needs many thousands of returning/new players coming to the game and spending money. With no incentive to do so, that is not going to happen.

Rift is doomed and you'd have to be mad to spend money on it.
    You know what's best part about it?

Dupe, cheat, exploit plat - Gamigo will not do a thing, wount ban those accounts, or is unable to detect them in first place.
    Create new account, create new Paypal account, buy loads of credits or REX's, sell them ingame for duped,cheated,exploited plat - move plat around, go cancel your Paypal payment and get refund.

Random german **** (read "devs") sitting at their office thinking "what are we doing wrong"?

This is not just Rift, it's even worse in Archeage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast