+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Rift is still fun!

Soulwalker

Just watching this forum from time to time and its sad to see nothing changed ... best game i played but killed by some money grabbing fools...

**** on the playerbase and u see whats left.. i just wondering still reading some funny dudes here talking about how nice empty servers are and that even without pvp or pve there is much to do ... y why play a pc game without content... thats the question

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    Mage and cleric can and do 1m +, when spec'd and played properly. Primy is mostly pure single target with marginal at best cleave, unlike rogue.

Unfortunately, Hartsman didn't have spine enough to hold the team leader to task in the least. Evidence of that is the lazy approach to soul system scaling that was omitted. The buck stops on the desk of the CEO, period! The Watercooler Club as a whole lacked the ambition to do a genuine, bona fide expansion and cost the franchise and corporation a brand new chapter 7.

Gross negligence, indeed.
    To be honest those who are enjoying the game the most are the ones who have been playing overpowered and broken classes for a long time and they are the most hopeful that the game will survive. Others I have known who didn't happen to play those OverPowered classes have left a long time ago. Keyens, Ocho and Archonix joked about deleting clerics from the game at one point on live stream. Keyens was asked to look at cleric and he basically ignored them like when he was suppose to look into support specs. He looked at all of them except oracle and did little to make BM a relevent replacement for Archon.

Cleric is a dog to play. Take for instance, elementalist vs. inquisitor. The DPS is about the same from the top players of each class in ST but the inquisitor has to move into melee to refresh Fervent Strike buff every minute, has absolutely 0 cleave and with all the standing still channels and cast times it playshorrible in fights with high mobility. Mage is far behind the other three so consider how bad it is for clerics. In reality all clerics are playing a broken game and I have said for almost a year that you should never invest in this class.

As for Mage. It is behind the other three classes but at least it has the best support and some of the best synergies with healing in the game. Warlock, Pyro etc are also pretty good and more DPS than clerics best range spec and further ahead of them when you compare to the identities of that class in Cleric.. 61 defiler and 61 runeshaper. They are both overwhelmingly bad in comparison. Mage doesn't need much changes overall to become competitive in most scenarios. Elementalist buffed by around 15% ST would make it a monster spec with its cleave. Inquisitor needs a full revamp to get on par with adding passive cleave, removing the turret playstyle and bumping its dps significantly along with quality of life changes to masteries and legendaries.You can play inq as a range with the fervent strike mastery but it will lose dps and be worse than even elementalist.

All of this was because top management allowed the developers to work on whatever they wanted and they chose to working on what was best for them, their significant other and their favorite classes. In the end the class developers left were so out of touch with how the game worked and class balance that they ended up making the game unplayable for many guilds in the content they were clearing for more than half a year. That period along with the introduction to prime is when the game started to become abandoned. Before prime 3x raid groups in one guild with the potential to have a 4th. After prime, we still managed 2 groups.. after heavy nerf multiple guilds fell apart and the rebuilding process to get back to at least 2 raids a week took like 4 months for everyone to find each other again. Now everyone is leaving again.

What I hope is that the Gamigo Devs don't choose favorites and are more concerned with balance and making everyone happy not just their wife who likes to do dimensions and plays rogue so they end up breaking the game intentionally for them. Or listen to that one complainer and not evaluating the other classes like how broken all the other tanks were in PvP besides clerics.. like the senior class dev did and even worse going on paid vacation after destroying the cleric and leaving it around 40% below other classes in DPS when IROTP was released.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 02-10-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post
    To be honest those who are enjoying the game the most are the ones who have been playing overpowered and broken classes for a long time and they are the most hopeful that the game will survive. Others I have known who didn't happen to play those OverPowered classes have left a long time ago. Keyens, Ocho and Archonix joked about deleting clerics from the game at one point on live stream. Keyens was asked to look at cleric and he basically ignored them like when he was suppose to look into support specs. He looked at all of them except oracle and did little to make BM a relevent replacement for Archon.

Cleric is a dog to play. Take for instance, elementalist vs. inquisitor. The DPS is about the same from the top players of each class in ST but the inquisitor has to move into melee to refresh Fervent Strike buff every minute, has absolutely 0 cleave and with all the standing still channels and cast times it playshorrible in fights with high mobility. Mage is far behind the other three so consider how bad it is for clerics. In reality all clerics are playing a broken game and I have said for almost a year that you should never invest in this class.

As for Mage. It is behind the other three classes but at least it has the best support and some of the best synergies with healing in the game. Warlock, Pyro etc are also pretty good and more DPS than clerics best range spec and further ahead of them when you compare to the identities of that class in Cleric.. 61 defiler and 61 runeshaper. They are both overwhelmingly bad in comparison. Mage doesn't need much changes overall to become competitive in most scenarios. Elementalist buffed by around 15% ST would make it a monster spec with its cleave. Inquisitor needs a full revamp to get on par with adding passive cleave, removing the turret playstyle and bumping its dps significantly along with quality of life changes to masteries and legendaries.You can play inq as a range with the fervent strike mastery but it will lose dps and be worse than even elementalist.

All of this was because top management allowed the developers to work on whatever they wanted and they chose to working on what was best for them, their significant other and their favorite classes. In the end the class developers left were so out of touch with how the game worked and class balance that they ended up making the game unplayable for many guilds in the content they were clearing for more than half a year. That period along with the introduction to prime is when the game started to become abandoned. Before prime 3x raid groups in one guild with the potential to have a 4th. After prime, we still managed 2 groups.. after heavy nerf multiple guilds fell apart and the rebuilding process to get back to at least 2 raids a week took like 4 months for everyone to find each other again. Now everyone is leaving again.

What I hope is that the Gamigo Devs don't choose favorites and are more concerned with balance and making everyone happy not just their wife who likes to do dimensions and plays rogue so they end up breaking the game intentionally for them. Or listen to that one complainer and not evaluating the other classes like how broken all the other tanks were in PvP besides clerics.. like the senior class dev did and even worse going on paid vacation after destroying the cleric and leaving it around 40% below other classes in DPS when IROTP was released.
    I'm afraid you're a dying breed in Rift, my friend.
    We had our time to shine when Rift was at its peak, up to about 2014 when the original team was intact.

Back then, being a min-maxer and class theory-crafting obsessive in Rift -- well, it made sense.

There was a large design staff compromised of MMO veterans, and class-maxing lovers were consistently reassured by their active presence. You had a 20 person subteam exclusively dedicated to souls.

You know your big post above re: Current soul balance/DPS/hybrids, etc.? Explained well, stuff we all understand well enough?

Right now, as we speak, Theres *maybe* - a BIG maybe - 1 or 2 humans on the current Rift team who even vaguely comprehend the words you've written -- for others it's meaningless gibberish.

And let's not even talk about team members who can test, tweak, and implement soul balancing.

We're a million miles away from that.

That's the level of expertise on the Rift team right now.
    Your post is way above their pay grade, so to speak.

Forgive me for being a Negative Nancy, but I'm reading your post and it occurred to me: 99% of the people currently in charge of Rift don't know W.T.F. you just wrote. To them, you were speaking in tongues.

Everyone set your expectations accordingly.

If I am being completely honest, I do miss Rift. This game was my first (and only) MMO and I met far too many amazing people to count through my years. That is why the game will never be what it was. Gamigo can try their hardest, but it won't bring back the people that made the game what it was. Trion blew it, and they blew it big time. Rift was never going to reach the recognition and familiarity that WoW had, but to the existing community, it was just as strong and far more enjoyable. At the end of Nightmare Tide, I decided that I was not going to continue on. With the introduction of a paid expansion and an on-going deviation from the strengths Rift had, I felt it was a good time to leave. However, I did return for SFP/POA. Not because of the content Trion had released, but because of the people. I came back for Prime not just for the chance at redemption, but for the people I knew would be there with me.

And that is one thing Trion never understood. This community put up with so much ******** because we cared. We spoke up because we cared. And time after time we were told to stay quiet and to go elsewhere. So we did. Now, Gamigo is attempting to undo the damage. I have no feelings of ill-will against them, but I see no end result where I find myself playing the game again. I may log on from time to time and see who is still there, but the game itself will never be the reason I log on again.

I loved this game. I put so much time and energy into it. I had a drive to improve the game and the community and that drive has long since passed. The people are the life of the game and you can only push them away for so long before they stop coming back. I do hope Gamigo finds success with Rift, but I will never stop missing the game I loved.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

BMX
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post

Nothing new... How long has it been since the choices of soul combination was relevant? When was the last time souls were scaled properly? There had been a time when the viable souls out numbered the junk souls. Trion has not had anyone in the CEO chair nor any other management chair that was either willing or capable of doing their friggen job since Lars Buttler moved on, so here we are alongside SOE...
    Banned

I'm anxious to see what Gamigo decides to do with the game. It still has a lot of potential if resources are put in the right place. The playerbase has shifted a lot since I started playing and is a lot more casual. Here are some things I'd like to see addressed.

RAIDS:I like the idea of new raids having an ez version. This allows casual players to see the new content while using the many hybrid builds they enjoy playing but keeping the normal or hm version of the raid for more competitive players who prefer optimal builds/rotations. (drops should be different)

PVP: pvp needs major work. I personally enjoyed open world pvp areas and quest, CQ was fun with limits on premades, and it would be nice to make prestige relevant again with separate gear incentives for pvp.

World Events: Think Volan

Class Balance: While hybridization was fun in vanilla it did present problems for balance between classes. I like the hybrid idea but not at the cost of having OP classes that rarely see adjustments. I'd rather bring back the niche of each class for a fight where raids/groups benefit from having various classes in group rather than stacking OP dps. Think last boss MoM where having a dominator was vital.

I personally think each soul needs to sacrifice something to gain something else. Example: gain cleave at the cost of ST dmg. Gain heals with 50% reduction in dmg. High ST dmg but little to no AE. And of course the age old discussion melee vs range output. If dmg is equal then melee should have more mobility options (ports, increased run speed ect).

While the game is stale in terms of new content I'm hopeful Gamigo will take some of the feedback and produce a quality expansion.
    Last edited by Learan; 02-11-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    |AoC|Exposure|Mutiny|Crayons|Virus|Trinity|

nMe@greybriar

Ascendant

Bring back my friends and guild and challenging raids again so we can "enjoy" progression which might be a bit too grueling for today's playerbase but also the heart pumping progression and sense of achievement.

Raid bosses and raid like this that actually requires strategy, skill and commitment. Yet so much MORE fulfilling!!!
    Yes this was before lulPrimalist gimmick.

And as one of the proud 20 owners of the World First Rapid Assault HK, and the crazy strats and insane stunts we (Coriolis) pulled off to get that was great.
    Apoth and Yobi said it was mathematically impossible to kill all 11 bosses in time with current tier gear as they were not strong enough at the time.

Man I left this game in late 2017 (due to travelling and living in Japan and Taiwan for ~7 months) I came back after 7 month and everyone I know pretty much left the game so I never really returned.

I don't even know why I still check on Rift Patch notes every Wednesday religiously for the past 60 weeks...

While I think the majority of people over at Gamigo have zero idea how Rift even works let along fixing this game.

I guess I am just hoping to see a miracle that may never come.

I do still believe Rift is still a great game for many people other than some hardcore raiders that have truly experienced the greatness back then.
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 02-12-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Rift Disciple

Default Put this premise to the acid test

Preamble Ramble: So, unlike Fate, I didn't leave the game for noble purposes; I left because I couldn't stand to watch where this was headed any longer (left in 4.0 (after one extended SFP sanity vacation) because of jumping through bubbles. "Gee, feeling eternal yet?").

And this was the 3rd time I've seen this; bad decisions, bad management, poor development ("what we need is another wart on the side of a bag!" No, we don't, we need good content for everybody; not more robbing Peter to pay Paul), 'greed v. need' by jumping on FtP midstream (the wrong way), toxic i/f to the community (banning truth is not power. Firing Elrar after he held the community together through an extended outage, was in hindsight, the tolling of a distant bell of things yet to come), et al. Check. Been there, done that. And this one wasn't even the worst of them, to be fair. The other 2 ended up being sold too, with mixed results. Brief summary...

Spoiler!

Ah, but I digress...
    _______

Acid Test: make a new character on live with NO support from alts, and play 'vanilla' style (no IAs, no mentoring, no cash shop purchases). Also; NO bankrolls, NO gear drops, no cash, and absolutely no help. The only 'help' I could solicit was from these forums. Even though better sources now exist, that was the test rule; "if it's not found on the forums, it cannot be used". RESULT of this rule: well, found next to nothing ("just do celestial IAs until cap" is not good advise IMO), so that meant winging it. Just like vanilla! The background build:

Spoiler!

Conclusions: Is Rift still fun? Yes, but with provisions. The elephant in the room; what is an MMO without other people around? That's the hardest thing to fix, IMO. {being drug through Iron Tombs like an on-level potato, by a couple of kindly high levels, is not really fun, even if it does result in better gear and more achievements. I thank them all the same for the kindness, though. Just hope my 'no thanks' was not seen as an insult}
    Technical: a) How can 10 people cause lag in Meridian? b) Why are there large buffer bands of lag between some of the maps now? c) why does a melee only character start doing ranged auto-attacks suddenly, and why is it so hard to get them back into melee? d) why was it necessary to cut out so many of the older quests, and reduce each map to a fraction of it's former glory? e) why does doing a smaller number quests automatically cap reputation on each map? f) plus many other 'wigglers' found in the 2+ nights (why does a level 28 'green' cost 15p on the AH?).
    Overall, this has been a fun experiment, but with mixed results. Mainly, I keep seeing 'ghosts' of the people I used to know...and that starts another wave of melancholy. And that will be a hard thing to 'fix', to be honest...and that one is all on me, nothing any Dev could do about that (except, maybe not killing the golden goose in the first place).
    Last edited by MadManAcrossTheWater; 02-13-2019 at 02:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2