+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: RIFT and it's Future

Soulwalker

Default RIFT and it's Future

Hello, this is my first forum post I played Rift a lot back in 2015-2016 and as the years have gone on I have been playing off and on and have watched the population decrease. I got curious about the whole Trion selling their games to Gamigo and that whole thing. But now honestly i'm wondering for your opinions with these questions.

Do you think Rift will last? If so for how long?

My personal opinion on this matter is with the state the game as it stands. Along with our answers to questions being sort of pushed off? I do not think Rift will be around for that much longer. Especially when the devs said they are going to start working on "Quality of life" rather than new content. Although who knows we may get some new great content we all can enjoy!

Do you think the shard merges will help or not help the game?

Personally I believe the server merges will help and not help. It will help with the way maybe shards will not seem so dead, although one of the downsides in my opinion is with merging shards from EU and NA, you may have some language barriers. Although i'm sure you can get around it.

Feel free to share your personal opinions, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!!

-Darkness

Sword of Telara

As a long-term player who has seen everything in Rift, there is no need to log into the game. I also don't think we're going to see any more high quality content that could get veterans to log into Rift on a regular basis.

As a new player you can still have fun with the game but with the uncertain future I would think twice if it would be worth it to put time or even money into the game.

I'd be really amazed if Rift stays on for longer than 24 months, it can only be a loss for gamigo with the current number of players. Maybe the game will be kept alive to spice up the gamigo portfolio, but I still don't see any real future for the game.

Did you really need to start a new thread for this ? What is it about the other 20+ threads on same subject that you could not include the same text an add to those stimulating threads that are already going ? Let me ask you if Rift continues much longer will you come back and repost this thread yet again bypassing the multiple ones that say the same thing. I think if Rift does stay as a viable gaming service that these threads will still exist multiple times each and every day. I only hope that you will still be here to enjoy them as a part of your reading. Quite literally underwhelmed by the originality. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessWolf00 View Post
    Do you think Rift will last? If so for how long?
    I think not only Rift, but most of Trion's former IPs are a dire situation, but there are intentions to continue development and keep the games running. There are things that were and are in the works behind the scenes, but it's harder to peel back the grapevine in terms of what's going on with development as we likely won't see the same type of interaction between devs and players that we've been used to all of these years. In my person opinion I think it will last, but the second part of the question is hard to answer as it really just depends on how they go about releasing content and what type of content it is. There's quite a few mmos out there (EQ1 being the best example) that still live on with a healthy population and regular content updates.

As for your other question, that discussions has already been taking place here: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ns-update.html if you really want to hear peoples opinions. It's better to post there and keep the discussion focused in one spot so it's easier for CMs and Devs to read through.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    I think not only Rift, but most of Trion's former IPs are a dire situation, but there are intentions to continue development and keep the games running. There are things that were and are in the works behind the scenes, but it's harder to peel back the grapevine in terms of what's going on with development as we likely won't see the same type of interaction between devs and players that we've been used to all of these years. In my person opinion I think it will last, but the second part of the question is hard to answer as it really just depends on how they go about releasing content and what type of content it is. There's quite a few mmos out there (EQ1 being the best example) that still live on with a healthy population and regular content updates.

As for your other question, that discussions has already been taking place here: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ns-update.html if you really want to hear peoples opinions. It's better to post there and keep the discussion focused in one spot so it's easier for CMs and Devs to read through.
    I appreciate that for where to go and for the information. Sorry this is my first time on the forums.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidX View Post
    Did you really need to start a new thread for this ? What is it about the other 20+ threads on same subject that you could not include the same text an add to those stimulating threads that are already going ? Let me ask you if Rift continues much longer will you come back and repost this thread yet again bypassing the multiple ones that say the same thing. I think if Rift does stay as a viable gaming service that these threads will still exist multiple times each and every day. I only hope that you will still be here to enjoy them as a part of your reading. Quite literally underwhelmed by the originality. Thank you
    No need to be rude. This is my first time on the forums thank you.

Default Good Question

My opinion is just that my opinion. Just sayin.

I've been playing this game for the last four years, going on five in spring and I would like to think that this game will carry on but I'm on the fence about it. I just don't know what to think at this point in time. Like Holy said EQ1 is still around and I often think the same way about this subject because its possible that Rift will live on for years, but I'm just doubtful right now.

I still log in the game and I still enjoy myself for the most part but it can be pretty depressing sometimes due to the fact of many of my friends and guild members have left the game or took a break.

I am going to bring somethings up though,.. that is on the positive side of thinking. I do think Rift can do very well If the new team truly tries in the right directions of the game that desperately needs attention, such as class souls and content. I think this because look at the games that have been coming out in the last couple of years. I strongly think that most games of the genre are truly lacking and it shows, from these games closing their doors or going ftp after launch. They just don't make em like they used to and for that fact alone Rift stands a very good chance of at least sticking around a while.

What this company has to realize is the prize that is in their hands NOW. This includes Trion's other games as well.

If I were in charge of Gamigo, I would at least advertise Rift and all Trion's games on my game website. I mean, it would be the first thing I would do to be honest because it will attract new players I'm sure that already play gamigo's games. So it truly couldn't hurt, if anything it will help for the time being till they get their ducks in a row. Why haven't they done this yet? Is my question...

Since they haven't done some things that most companies would do after buying a major title, I'm kinda scared for all of these games and their future. I remain hopeful but the light of hope is dimming more and more day by day by lack of communication or no changes.

Time is of the essence. One day this game won't be around or I won't lol so I'm still going to play it even if I just log in for minions and to sit in the city doing nothing but people watching for cool wardrobes.

I think the shard merges will help over all more than hurt the game and I think it should have happened a while ago. I still think keeping 4 shards is the way to go on each side NA/EU. Just cutting them in half from 8 will make a big difference. No need to go down to one server, I think the foundation of this game couldn't handle that anyway.IMO.

I don't know but it would be nice to have more than the occasional post by Gamigo and then no replies by them....sigh.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessWolf00 View Post
    No need to be rude. This is my first time on the forums thank you.

Just being honest and I said thank you. Welcome to the forums

Nope. Nada. Zilch etc...

This game is going nowhere fast. I had someone tell me there was a financially-related obligation to keep it going for now. If that is true, and that obligation disappears, then I am almost 100% certain it will be closed quickly thereafter. Again, this is assuming that the info was correct.

Even if the aforementioned isn't the case, I have little doubt it will whither to the point of dying within a matter of months, not years. Note how Gamigo has given no indication of future plans, however sketchy. If you want to retain your playerbase that would be a top priority. Clearly it isn't.

Personally I would have preferred a half year or so of new stuff to keep me amused before I bail, as the other MMOs I am watching aren't in a playable beta state yet.

As a moot answer to a moot question, shard mergers would only accelerate the decline. So much questing (and other tasks) is made easier through shard hopping, so reducing the shards will make things less player friendly. That said, Seastone could be terminated immediately and the player impact would be negligible.

PS> I would be more than happy for Rift if I am proved wrong, but everything in Gamigo's behaviour indicates that I am not.
    Last edited by Linolea; 01-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    This game is going nowhere fast. I had someone tell me there was a financially-related obligation to keep it going for now. If that is true, and that obligation disappears, then I am almost 100% certain it will be closed quickly thereafter. Again, this is assuming that the info was correct.
    i hate to admit it but this really does make a lot of sense, cuz if they came forward and said anything at all to us then it would spoil whatever they had left of whatever they were trying to accomplish first. i mean, you know everyone in the offices everywhere are reading these comments and yet they still don't want to come forward and tell us there rough plans going forward and that in it self speaks volumes ...
    -> Anywho@faeblight -> Morelyes@wolfsbane

Sword of Telara

The only future I see for Rift is when Gamigo gives the community the possibility/tools to create new content itself.

At the beginning the community could take over the balancing of the classes and scale all existing Experts/Raids/NMR instances bit by bit to level 70. Rift should become a do it yourself mmorpg. Of course this would only work if there are enough interested and experienced players who are willing to spend their spare time in such a project and Gamigo finds a way to continue earning money with the game that justifies running the servers.

There should also be an experienced contact person who is familiar with the tools/database and supports the community in the initial phase.
    Last edited by Bamul; 01-08-2019 at 07:09 AM.

I wonder if they'd allow it to happen. Aileenbor offered (see in forums) to buy Rift, but it is possible they were not in a position to be able to sell at the time. Since then much goodwill has been spent of course, so it is worth far less.

That said, Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) was a failed MMO after EA stuffed it up, and it was revived by fans as SWG EMU, which brought it back to the pre-NGE days. Not sure if it is still around. So yes, it can, and has been, done for other games.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Soulwalker

I'm out , it's only deep ties with my guild mates keeps me checking in. Pity

Ascendant

Rift was developed to have at least 10000 active players on at all time in my opinion. The game was the most successful at that number. Anything under that and the game starts to flop or has to be redeveloped into catering to a much smaller crowd of players. If you look how fast Rift depleted players it was always started when they fell below 10K and 5K. And within the year after they fell below 5K (0n steam charts), they had triple-digit numbers logging in. Rift was developed for a large player base that interacted with each other to fulfill quest and progress not to be a mostly single player MMO like some other MMOs. I would say there are about 500+ dedicated players who can't let go at the least. I doubt that is enough to keep Rift active. Well, maybe they can reset their games seasonally and make them all races to the top every season but I doubt it would be successful.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 01-09-2019 at 04:16 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    I wonder if they'd allow it to happen. Aileenbor offered (see in forums) to buy Rift, but it is possible they were not in a position to be able to sell at the time. Since then much goodwill has been spent of course, so it is worth far less.

That said, Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) was a failed MMO after EA stuffed it up, and it was revived by fans as SWG EMU, which brought it back to the pre-NGE days. Not sure if it is still around. So yes, it can, and has been, done for other games.
    If the Rift license could be sold to someone who is passionate about the game and has the financial resources, that would be the best thing that could happen.

There are some successful projects that prove that complicated games like MMORPGs can be continued by former players. But most of these games are in a grey area because they never got permission/license for it. As a positive example I can mention Project 1999. Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, currently in the Velious expansion and a max level of 60, with the look and feel of the old interface and several modifications making game mechanics similar to how the game used to be. As far as I know the servers are also legal because Daybreak (formerly SoE) have given their consent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast