+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Is there any hope for a population increase?

If they can release a 5.0 expansion soon maybe but I dont think they have enough man power to create raid, dungeon I mean content Hardly 5 people working for a MMORPG so dont expect too much stuff

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    but there are so many more playstyles than that.
    This is of value to you but even in the fallout of boa there isn't an uptick of players rushing to rift for the soul tree system.
    Last edited by Sails; 01-01-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omerr View Post
    If they can release a 5.0 expansion soon maybe but I dont think they have enough man power to create raid, dungeon I mean content Hardly 5 people working for a MMORPG so dont expect too much stuff
    I wouldn't even slightly hope for a 5.0 until at least late next year, and that's the very least and to be something taken to not be anything like the scales of 2.0 and 3.0 (but most hopefully with a better gameplan than 4.0).

All I cross my fingers for next year is that Prophecy of Ahnket is wrapped up.

I doubt there'll be another expansion for this game. Perhaps a few incremental updates here and there with the release of already semi-completed content from before the old team was let go. But even then, new content was too difficult a task even with an entire year to release something for a much larger team than they currently have.
    Last edited by Skiye; 01-01-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by namahs View Post
    I came back for the third time to play again. I started a new Primalist and determined I will not use any macros until I am max level to really learn the class well and challenge myself.

The game is still fun, the content works, the options for leveling are there, I still love the souls and Rifts and invasions and adventures.

But it is empty. I was one of 2 or 3 people in each zone I have been to. Even the cities are abandoned.

Is there any hope that players will return? Is there some super-server that is active? Rift did so many things right that no other MMO has done half as well, I hate to see it die, but it is hard to get excited about an MMO with no players.

Thanks for any responses, I am hopeful people could come back!
    This game has been in palliative care since 2015/2016 well before the new owners came along. It's not a matter of if the game will die or even when - it has well and truly happened already. The new owners are responsible for putting as little effort and resources as possible while wringing out some last profits. Apparently they are well known for keeping a whole graveyard of games afloat so maybe the game will still exist in some way just with no players logged in. MMO games are just not sustainable in today's market - try something different until the situation changes, there are loads of really good games out there they just aren't MMOs.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyThump View Post
    MMO games are just not sustainable in today's market - try something different until the situation changes, there are loads of really good games out there they just aren't MMOs.
    I have tried that but I seem to belong to the kind of players who are only enthusiastic about MMORPGS. Even highly acclaimed single player games (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity) bore me after a few hours. I have tried Beat em Ups, Jump and Runs, Action Adventures, Shooters but everything unsuccessfully. Currently only hardcore racing simulations (Assetto Corsa,Rfactor, I-Racing, Race Room) and a few VR games (Beat Saber, Eleven Table Tennis) can lure me in front of the screen for a short time. My love definitely belongs to the MMORPG genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakuden View Post
    The genre is dead. Player count in all of them are miniscule compared to peak. But hey, whatever makes y'all sleep at night.

This depends on how you look at it. Apart from WoW, the player numbers in each game individually are indeed nothing special. However, the amount of players playing MMOs today is bigger than it was in this so called peak. We just have far more games on the market today, and the total MMO playerbase is far more spread out.

Champion

I think many of the players lose sight of what should have been vs. what the devs did which caused Rift to stagnate.

What players wanted and what this generation expects vs what the older dying gen expects and want.

Rift went backward while promising to go forward.
    1. They promised that tanking gear would be obsoleted more or less when they introduced planar fragments and reduced raids down to 10 party raids.
    - This would make the tanking role open to many people as they didn't have to specifically gear for that role vs the other three roles. The result would be far more people queue'ing for dungeons, and far more active raids and a far more resilient population.
    2. They promised individual loot system in which Guild leaders would not have to use DKP systems or be subject to scrutinity from fellow guildmates.
    -This has been one of the leading reasons for guilds falling apart as people could point fingers at eachother and call others ninja looters or bias leaders etc. They didn't do this for PoA and instead kept a broken system for the most important part of progessive content, Tier Raiding.
    3. Instead of reduce the problems that many of their players argued about they increased RNG, added very expensive upgrade system, and added a grind that was far far too much that Rift players were not use to.
    -Founding Devs had a time table for content releases. And it was relatively normalized in the beginning. When a Tier expired they made access to the next tier easier by reducing last tier to easy mode, introducing quest, crafted gear that would fast track those left behind or with bad luck into getting into the new content and this would encourage replayability and maintain a very strong base. There were far more raid leaders, guild leaders back then. And far more players with alts carrying the player base back then. Instead they chose a path to class and role lock their players which were sabotage.
    4. Prime. Only a handful of players actually wanted prime. They twisted what real players wanted and that was to have a shard where EU and NA can mingle together. This idea is nothing new. In many MMO's you were able to jump instances to EU, Asia instances and co-mingle with eachother. They only went as far as allowing you to shard hop and transfer servers. Prime server was an attempt to profit off of what should have been all along in the beginning.
    5. Back when Rift was a sub base game they introduced level locking. This actually kept the early parts of the game active but there were itemization problems that allowed for something called "twink" where they had access to ilevel far ahead their level and instead of fixing these problems in total they chose to remove level locking.
    - These days MMO players expect a sort of system like GW2 and FF. You get to experience the early content as a F2P player while those who pay for the latest expansion get to experience the newest content. They reversed it with Prime. Old content becomes pay to play while on live most people are in new content with a dead old world.
    - How they should have done it. They should have made Rift F2P up to last expansion and pay to play for the next expansion.
    6. Subscribers were far to fast tracked, paying for charges fast tracked players as well. This should not have been implemented. It put too much divisiveness into the community where subs and those who just "payed to win" were able to get to the later stages must faster than those who couldn't. There was no need to offer this to retain subscribers. Simply offering subscribers access to more than 1 wardrobe slot, more than 1 dimension etc would have been enough to maintain tons of subscribers without having the divide the playerbase.
    7.Overly zealous changes to classes that disrupted balance. Frankly, Devs made the same problem which occured when they released SL which ultimately sent the game into free to play. Massive bugs with class balance and itemization which trivialized content and made PvP excruciating for those who did not luck out and have a broken OP class or those items. Devs also, cherry picking what to fix and then going on paid vacation, then coming back to a game that has completely deteriorated because they didn't scrutinize their favorite classes or overlooked their need to also be balanced. This lead to parts of the game becoming unplayable to many players and in many cases the part of the game they enjoyed the most forcing them to quit and cause a domino effect on where they pulled more and more of those players away.
    8. They removed content because they did not like how it was played like people going back to old raids and trying to complete them or farm them solo or even just crafting and soloing older content for planarite etc. They refused to provide any alternative updated way to provide players with content to do what they were doing old content for. Basically farming planarite and plat which they promised would be far more accessible and enjoyable than in previous expansions. Instead people just bought REX, sold for plat and then REX prices soared which is opposite of what they promised with the plat sink idea.

So many terrible decisions made by the Trion Devs. It still makes me feel sick in the stomach that they did this to such a great game with so many wonderful possibilities.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 02-08-2019 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    This depends on how you look at it. Apart from WoW, the player numbers in each game individually are indeed nothing special. However, the amount of players playing MMOs today is bigger than it was in this so called peak. We just have far more games on the market today, and the total MMO playerbase is far more spread out.
    While I haven't played it myself (somehow), Elder Scrolls Online boasts some pretty large numbers (being multiplatform helps) and is among the "Big 3" with WoW and FFXIV in terms of today's most successful traditional mainstream MMOs.

Just the Steam client of ESO alone, you'll see 15,000-20,000 players any given evening.

No idea how stuff like Guild Wars 2 is doing lately.

The really old ones on Daybreak life support like EQ/EQII, who knows.
    Must be a minuscule player base, but chiseled down to a profit margin.
    Loved my time in both those games ages ago.

Daybreak is trend-hopping again -- has its eye on Battle Royale and that sweet recurring battle pass money, so they're scrambling to output a modified Planetside 2 (Arena) featuring 250 vs. 250 battles.

Anyway, tough times if you're not among the Big 3 (or an ultra-popular-in-Asia-only) MMORPG these days, but there's a trickle of money to be made for entities like Gamigo.

(If you can cleverly get away with a trickle of support and new content).

Gamigo amasses properties to sustain and leech; necromancy-like. When you have enough diverse games in the roster, that's many "trickles" of revenue coming in.

It's very gruelling to watch a game that you like so much get so seriously taken to the wall.Fact is that Gamigo has never invested anything in one of their games as far as the content of a game is concerned.New players have a hard time staying in a game that has an end and no longer goes on in the history of its world.A MMORPG is actually designed to keep the stories going on in the lives of every adventurer.
    It's also not that Gamigo can't afford that, because Rift is not a 0815 game or even a trash game. Gamigo is rather a caretaker in publishing, that means they don't care how it should go with the game but are only interested in how much money they make with the respective product.They are earning every year plus profits in the 2 digit million range, which means that all employees are paid and the money is pure income. Of course Rift would have to be finished at the last expansion and the bugs would have to be fixed, but that shouldn't be the problem.

So it could go on... There is only hope left for each and every one of us, and sometimes events just happen miracles...whether this will be the case here or not is not known....
    It would be nice if Gamigo would share his road map for the future and would not always communicate some nonsense....

i used a Translator,my English is didn't the Best
    Halte dein Abenteuer am Laufen... EU-PvE/ Server:Brutwacht

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3