+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Is there any hope for a population increase?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    I hear the MMO genre is dead so often it is laughable. People got excited in the early days when EQ1 got a few hundred thousand subscribers. The landscape was completely changed when WoW got millions. It's all relative.

There is no modern WoW MMO in terms of massive uptake, but MMOs are still pulling in millions of players collectively. There's still plenty of demand for a well made game.
    It's like the PC which is also dying since... 20 years now maybe? But still nobody could explain to me why I should exchange a huge monitor, a mouse and a really good keyboard with some crappy handheld device - well, except that the crappy handheld device is oh so cool, and the PC is dying anyway. Plus crappy handheld devices generate a lot of funny videos with people running blindly into pools, glass doors, traffic signs, and anything else

The sad thing is that now (with WoW's newest xpac struggling really hard) would have been the perfect time for Rift to regain some of their lost players - if only Trion had not driven it to where it now is. Had Rift been in a better shape, I'm positively sure that they had already felt the exodus of WoW players.

Isp
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    The sad thing is that now (with WoW's newest xpac struggling really hard) would have been the perfect time for Rift to regain some of their lost players - if only Trion had not driven it to where it now is. Had Rift been in a better shape, I'm positively sure that they had already felt the exodus of WoW players.
    Why would anybody switch to a game which has not seen decent content for couple of year, any new content for over a year, and which has no hope for any new content? WoW is bad, but Rift in current state is much worse.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Isp View Post
    Why would anybody switch to a game which has not seen decent content for couple of year, any new content for over a year, and which has no hope for any new content? WoW is bad, but Rift in current state is much worse.
    I think in regard to content, Rift is certainly worse as there's simply a lot more to do in WoW right now especially with to being 6-7 years older than Rift, but WoW has been bleeding 1mil+ subs every year since WoTLK and it really says something when even the most hardcore and dedicated WoW players are quitting over how bad the state of WoW currently is with BFA even rivaling Cataclysm where the bulk of veteran players quit, including myself.

Part of Rifts appeal (despite the lack of current end game content is that it's free right out of the gate whereas WoW is still subscription based. That being said, people should and will play whatever appeals more to them regardless of what's going on in each game.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

The best I hope for is that the (new/old) devs try some things 2019 (no expansion, but 'finishing' POA and such) and if it brings in enough attention and income, things coast to a low and casual but sustained rate of development. 'Expansions' could then occur 2020+ but with a less dedicated release importance than ever - similar to SWTOR which at this point treats X.0 versions as a way to level cap increase, add main story, and a very low number of features, while patches are what refine/add more features.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    Not true. Neither Blade & Soul nor Black Desert was a flop. BDO is one of the most succesful currently running MMOs in the West actually, up there with ESO and FFXIV. Of course there are Asian MMOs that are garbage and flop (Bless), but there are Western MMOs that flop too (Wildstar). That doesn't mean there aren't also good ones.

MMOs are absolutely not dead. It's true that there has been a lack of innovation, and the genre stagnated for a while, but I don't think this trend will continue. None of the (mostly crowdfunded) MMOs that are currently being made are that type of stagnant, more-of-the-same game.
    The genre is dead. Player count in all of them are miniscule compared to peak. But hey, whatever makes y'all sleep at night.
    Last edited by Nakuden; 12-19-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    It's like the PC which is also dying since... 20 years now maybe? But still nobody could explain to me why I should exchange a huge monitor, a mouse and a really good keyboard with some crappy handheld device - well, except that the crappy handheld device is oh so cool, and the PC is dying anyway.
    Just bought the missus a 35" curved monitor (AOC AGON 3440*1440) ... she will be happy when she comes back from holiday to use it

BTW Nak (above) ... for a dead genre there are quite a few offerings coming out in the next year or two. Personally I have my hopes on AoC (the new one, not the dead one), but something will come along as there is still plenty of western demand for MMOs to populate a handful profitably.

*EDIT* Dizzy below: She has a 1070GTX card dating back a year and a half or so (when we had the machine built) and it handles the screen fine. I must admit I was a tad nervous about that, but it's not like she plays FPS, only slower paced stuff like Rift. We were in BoS for yesterday and it ran fine. AOC is Gsync, so I guess it marries up better than the other ones which are AMD-oriented, but I am no hardware tech head.
    Last edited by Linolea; 12-31-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Ascendant

...but something will come along as there is still plenty of western demand for MMOs to populate a handful profitably.
    This. I would happily pay two monthly subs (my wife's and mine) for a game as long as it's worth it. And there must be more people like me who grew up with games, are still interested in playing, and have enough monthly income to spend some money on their hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Isp View Post
    Because current WoW is so shabby and lackluster that it looks more like some cheap asian WoW clone, Blizzard's attidute gets worse by the day, and their design decisions (Azerith gear, lmao) are incomprehensible to the vast majority of players. Oh, and their story and writing is even worse than the game itself.

Fun fact: I have 10 game time tokens and +5M gold on my WoW account, so I could entirely play for free through this whole mess of an xpac. Instead I'm back to Rift, because to me it is the better game, even given the poor state it is in. And if it was in a good shape, it could surely have attracted a lot of the players that left BfA in disgust.

<snip>Just bought the missus a 35" curved monitor (AOC AGON 3440*1440) ... she will be happy when she comes back from holiday to use it <snip>
    ----
    Sorry about incoming derail... but ....Wow! That is a serious-looking monitor.. what graphics card is optimal to run that beast?
    Thanks,
    Dizzy

I keep hoping for the day its worth coming back to. 🤷*♀️

There's still plenty of demand for a well made game.
    Exactly. This is so true. If you survey ESO on Steam u will see they have 10k+ players on their launcher alone. The mmo genre isn't as dead as some believe. The sky is falling on Rift not on every mmo.

I fear Gamigo won't add much here. This game really needed a ground breaking, highly innovative company with a huge staff and resources to fix things then turn it around. This is what I hoped for, for a long time. Instead this company seems like more of the same. Players are still having to wait to see. The here and now is looking uncertain and bleek.
    Last edited by Sails; 01-01-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    I think in regard to content, Rift is certainly worse as there's simply a lot more to do in WoW right now especially with to being 6-7 years older than Rift, but WoW has been bleeding 1mil+ subs every year since WoTLK and it really says something when even the most hardcore and dedicated WoW players are quitting over how bad the state of WoW currently is with BFA even rivaling Cataclysm where the bulk of veteran players quit, including myself.
    The gap of difference between wow and rift is like an abyss. They at least have had 2 xpacs of late. I'm questioning the accuracy of this sub loss figure. None-the-less Wow could bleed a long time before getting anywhere near Rift's state. Besides they lose some players and get some back. I think Trion's ambition to be a wow-killer caused an oversight from what it could have been. I digress.

Maybe the last two xpacs weren't so great, but Wow is enjoyable, low level and after. As was mentioned there is lots to do. Rift's below cap pve is downright painful to even try. Players do what they have to to advance. Hop in Gyel or IAs. Taking the time to level isn't even an option here. From the beginning TWO start zones up until level 65, there is no spice and life to them. Thus, there is sparse traffic to none in these zones. IAs are horribly monotonous. That Rift didn't make the content more complex, interesting and attention grabbing but instead threw IA advancing at players as if they were being punished, wasn't the best move. They could've at least left in xp progress via crafting and pvp and making plats gains by completing old raids. In SFP, which was a flop, they removed some of these things adding the frags. Sparking more displeasure from players about their choices and lessening ways to make plat. The old raids and having more leveling options, brought some compensation and distraction for all the other disastrous choices made by management. Yet they went on to release announced activities late and bugged. There is definitely a difference between the force (staff) behind Wow and Rift. Wow seems to have done more to increase player satisfaction whereas rift hasn't really gotten off the ground in terms of design and development. And its staff seems at odds with its playerbase.

This isn't the only issue. The world of rift just isn't appealing. Focus, always seems to be on releasing xpacs rather than the quality of what is here and can be improved. Both need to be on par to interest players. For me, its as if there are inherent flaws in how the storyscape was developed into a mmo. I suppose rift only having one tiny book of lore versus Wow having a repertoire of books may be why. They have tons of material to draw from to express their world from past and present. By contrast, rift's maps aren't plenteous. The main pve mechanics and story are lackluster. Its more of an affair of drudgery than anything. Thus, there is one thing I do here. I never think, oh yeah, I should quest or hop in a 100 stage rift or dungeon or a pew pew onslaught or chronicle or yet another usual zone event. Some players enjoy this kind of routine activity. Just not the ones that make millions, thousands, hundreds, or even fifties of subs. And for those who still play, these activities have been done tons of times. Where is the pizazz? The most exciting campaigns are dress-up contests, announcing new dims and random weekend bonuses. It would be great if other parts were less grindy and given more design toward amusement with meaning from the lore. As well as new activities added. When I play Wow, I like it all. I am below cap however. But I do a little this and that. There are people to do things with. Here its one activity.
    Last edited by Sails; 01-01-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Fix PvP and you'll see a large swath of players come back.
    Traetor - 70 Rogue
    Dogmatic - 70 Primalist

Rift Disciple

Some of you are comparing Rift to WOW????? Let's see. Rift end game is standing on the hill in Vostigar waiting for the boss. Basically that's where the population lives.

WOW may have problems, but there is a lot to do and the experience is very enjoyable. Rift... not so much anymore...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hotflashes View Post
    Some of you are comparing Rift to WOW?????
    Yes, since both are games, so if you look at the fun you have in each, you have a very easy measure to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotflashes View Post
    WOW may have problems but... the experience is very enjoyable.
    I strongly disagree here. Of course if you're interested in mythic+ dungeons and raids, Rift holds nothing for you - but there are so many more playstyles than that. And compared to the dumpster fire Blizzard set loose with BfA I absolutely prefer Rift (I played BfA from the start, hated next to anything about it, and left in disgust after my 30 days were over - even though the whole xpac would be free to me, as I'm sitting on 10 months of game time tokens and +5m of gold).

If gamingo release new real content, there is a chance.
    If they do nothing, there is no chance.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast