+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By SillySentient

Thread: A little warning before server shutdown

Soulwalker

Default A little warning before server shutdown

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like it when I'm hard at work trying to kill something and the server unexpectedly shuts down for no reason. Today, it went down for a maintenance service, but there was no warning in-game to tell me to stop what I'm doing and run for my life to escape a bad area.

In Everquest, they give you an audible warning starting an hour or so before the shutdown, then intermittently with increasing frequency up until the time it actually goes down to make sure you hear the blasted thing and know how imperative it is to actually heed the warning.

I don't visit the forums to read anything unless I have an issue to resolve, and watching the shutdown schedule isn't my concern. I would rather expect someone to tell me WHILE I'M IN THE GAME, which is where my attention is focused, and preferably using an audible signal, as I'm probably not looking at the chat screen while I'm parading across the countryside killing anything that moves. This would then bring my attention to: "something must be happening that I should ask about", and make me stop what I'm doing to search for a reason why there's this annoying DING DING going on around me.

I would think I'm not the only one who gets cut off in the middle of fighting for my life out there, and I would like fair warning to stop my work and find shelter so I don't get any unpleasant surprises on my return. For the sophistication level of this game, as opposed to others, I would think this to be a standard feature, and present long since for the duration of how long this game has been in operation. It's a little disconcerting to think the devs "forgot" to include this basic component as part of their player support. It should not be that big a deal to incorporate it.

Soulwalker

Default The new world

You must be extremely new to the game, so welcome! The warnings you expect were formerly incorporated into the game. However, since TRION was sold, the staff is minimal. Thursdays are apparently the new server reset days and usually at 0730 PST. Check the forums prior to playing on Thursdays. It's the new world.
    Regards!

Ascendant

My guess is that they sacked the only guy who knew how to initiate the countdown, and now they can do nothing but pull the server plug

I vaugely remember seeing a forum post, where it was said that those annoucements were all done manually, so with fewer people I doubt they will ever happen again.

Soulwalker

Subscribe to the Rift page on FB and set it to "See First". They gave a couple hours notice on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taloysius View Post
    You must be extremely new to the game, so welcome! The warnings you expect were formerly incorporated into the game. However, since TRION was sold, the staff is minimal. Thursdays are apparently the new server reset days and usually at 0730 PST. Check the forums prior to playing on Thursdays. It's the new world.
    Regards!
    That's really awesome if you know when 07.30PST is. But a whole slew of us play from other countries where PST just means psst. The countdown helped people from outside USA know the servers were going down.

Oh and why did you feel the need to belittle/trivialise this person with "you must be extremely new to the game" and the rest of the condescension? Based on that they have 4 posts? That's 3 more than you.
    The points they made were valid.
    Last edited by Hellishly; 12-06-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaedari View Post
    Subscribe to the Rift page on FB and set it to "See First". They gave a couple hours notice on there.
    How does this help while you are in game killing stuff?
    And why should a person have to have a facebook account to see if Rift is going down?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    That's really awesome if you know when 07.30PST is. But a whole slew of us play from other countries where PST just means psst.
    You can just copy "7:30 am pst" from the forum announcement into google, and it will convert the text according to the location of your IP provider (which usually is located in your country, so timezone and daylight saving time will be resolved correctly).

Though this is not a proper replacement for the in-game countdown, it at least helps to decipher those outlandish time specifications

+ Reply to Thread