+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rift Vs. WoW - Why I switched

Some cool info about mmorpgs. I liked that graph you posted bamul, showing the sub counts/dates. I noticed Asherons Call was on that list. I LOVED Asherons Call. I was a leader in one of the longest running guilds on Darktide, the pvp Server. Also made a lot of RL money off that game. Super good times.

IMO, Asherons Call has had the best pvp out of any game i've ever played. Also loved the hunting areas & dungeons.

Heres a clip of the pvp. This was 3 of us vs. 3 other rival guild members.
    https://youtu.be/Qr1ZGZN1oJM

PS: That red armor set sold for $800 Good times.
    Last edited by dayzed; 11-07-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Isp
    Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gharn View Post
    And my.com has some partnership with the russians, so still rekt. So it sounds like US are going to be fine, unless someone builds a wall.
    I hope you are using new tinfoil hat model, old models don't protect from russians ;)
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Plane Touched

Default Pantheon may be in the Sandbox awhile...

Brad McQuaid- lead developer has had issues not long ago. He apparently lifted around 40-45K from the crowdsourced money for his own use (some say drugs- but that is not known). What is known is that he asked some of his dev staff to volunteer for awhile. I do not know if they are on track or not anymore- but that had to be a major setback. https://segmentnext.com/2014/05/05/p...-personal-use/

Sword of Telara

The article is from May 5, 2014. I didn't investigate any further if there was anything true or if it was just a forum troll. At least there are regular reports about the game and if you compare the videos that have been published over the years you can see some progress which leads me to believe that the project is being worked on.

I only know that there were problems with Brad McQuaid predecessor project Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Microsoft jumped out as a partner. Vanguard was one of those games that cost a lot of money to develop and maintain, and probably never recovered the development costs. Despite the problems with the game I had 3 years of fun with it before the servers were turned off.

In general it is expensive to produce a high quality MMORPG, so there are hardly any new Triple A MMORPGs in development. Pantheon will also be far away from a Triple A experience. I still hope that they simply capture the spirit of EQ1.
    Last edited by Bamul; 11-08-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Plane Touched

Default Smoke and Fire Bamul : )

It is true this article and others referencing Brad McQuaid shady business are from 2014. That said- there isn't a lot of information on the financials of Pantheon. I know it is private- not public funding- but a step towards transparency would be appreciated. Look what happened with Trion and non-communication. Yeah- a theme park MMO is probably not in the stars unless it can be used as a console oriented game as well. I am no console player- I like my keyboard- but I see the appeal. My opinion about Pantheon is guarded.

I recently got a free 3 days of WoW from blizzard and went back to check it out. I was immediately irritated at the nearly total inability to adjust my UI. I have been completely spoiled with Rift's easy to manipulate Ui, I know there are probably add-ons to do this for WoW but why bother. I was definately not impressed with WoW plus it is becoming such a cookie cutter game. I know Rift has moved that way too and it's sad, I really miss the days when we could choose souls because they were fun and didn't have to max out one.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnia View Post
    I recently got a free 3 days of WoW from blizzard and went back to check it out. I was immediately irritated at the nearly total inability to adjust my UI. I have been completely spoiled with Rift's easy to manipulate Ui, I know there are probably add-ons to do this for WoW but why bother.
    This has got to be the silliest complaint ever. WoW's addon system is pretty much the industry leader. If you just want to move stuff around... you need exactly one addon (MoveAnything).

Default Honestly...

But let's be honest... 'nothing' really new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    Brad McQuaid- lead developer has had issues not long ago. He apparently lifted around 40-45K from the crowdsourced money for his own use (some say drugs- but that is not known). What is known is that he asked some of his dev staff to volunteer for awhile. I do not know if they are on track or not anymore- but that had to be a major setback. https://segmentnext.com/2014/05/05/p...-personal-use/
    Ah yes, that story from 2014.
    Brad did indeed screw up his cut from the second Pantheon crowdfund. He received 35k from the raised 147k himself and called it "three months salary". Thankfully it wasn't drug-related. (Brad used to have a pretty serious stress-related opiate addiction back during Vanguard development. 2+ years of therapy, he's been clean since 2011).

He and about 8-9 other developers had already been working "free" on Pantheon's pre-production, concept art, capital-raising, website, etc. for 6 months. Often working contracts and part-time jobs to pay the bills. The balance of that 2nd crowdfund went to staff.

Brad subsequently liquidated some personal assets and remaining interest in SoE via Daybreak, and "returned" 15k to the pool for other employees, notably those paying medical expenses.

ANYWAY... 4 years later, Brad is still on board and in the Visionary Realms office every day, Pantheon is comfortably staffed up and hiring more, the game is very playable pre-alpha that funders can play with many zones and dungeons, and all 12 player classes are prepared for the alpha.

It seems to be in rather good shape, but of course there's so much more to prove (like, is there a viable market for the game?).

Anyway, Brad has a difficult time living down his opiate problems from 7-10 years ago as the internet has cobbled together various histories and time frames into muddled narratives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2