Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97
Like Tree143Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: DEVS- nerf particles for the disabled?

  1. #16
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    103

    Default

    IRotP is a much narrower bottleneck than the particle quest, and you can't complete the upgrade without finishing all the sub-quests, so I'm not sure why the particle quest is even an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    A video would help..
    Several people have already made videos, and I made one the last time a thread like this popped up. Highlights: steer with the mouse, go for the highest particles first, use the big jump to get around and the small jump for adjustments, alternate jumps to maintain altitude, plan your route, don't be afraid to take the long way around.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBzUYtccBg

  2. #17
    Plane Touched Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Just trying to give some help. Take it or leave it. But don't complain about not having it if you can't be half arsed to put the effort in.

    Or you can keep using your "disabilities" to excuse yourself in everything that requires some responsibility.

    How DARE you say that people with disabilities are lying.
    I've reported your post as offensive.

    Do you really think that people who are disabled are doing it by choice to excuse laziness? That we can just get up out our wheelchairs and walk if we "just put the effort in" and "take some responsibility"? Or my severe tremors would just go away if I took "some responsibility"?

    You were caught out being ableist - ie I can do it, it isn't hard so anyone can, and resorted to abuse of the disabled to justify yourself. I sincerely hope you are proud of your "achievement" here. Though if it were me I would be hanging my head in shame. But what would I know, I'm just a lying disabled person according to you.

  3. #18
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    How DARE you say that people with disabilities are lying.
    I've reported your post as offensive.

    Do you really think that people who are disabled are doing it by choice to excuse laziness? That we can just get up out our wheelchairs and walk if we "just put the effort in" and "take some responsibility"? Or my severe tremors would just go away if I took "some responsibility"?

    You were caught out being ableist - ie I can do it, it isn't hard so anyone can, and resorted to abuse of the disabled to justify yourself. I sincerely hope you are proud of your "achievement" here. Though if it were me I would be hanging my head in shame. But what would I know, I'm just a lying disabled person according to you.
    I don't see them saying that people with disabilities are lying. I do see them taking the time to provide a bunch of helpful tips for the particle quest and getting frustrated with the negative response. People generally have very little patience for being shouted at just for trying to give helpful advice - I recommend saving the shouting for people who've actually earned it.

    If you'd tried your best to get as far as you can and were hitting this roadblock, I'd be more understanding, but you haven't even put in the effort to quest to 70, which makes it sound like you just want top-tier things handed to you so that you can put even less effort into the things you actually do (closing rifts).

  4. #19
    Plane Touched Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    I don't see them saying that people with disabilities are lying.

    You don't see it? So what does "Or you can keep using your "disabilities" to excuse yourself in everything that requires some responsibility." mean then? With the word "disabilities" in commas as it is implies they are not real. ie we are lying! Specially in the context of what else was written.





    I do see them taking the time to provide a bunch of helpful tips for the particle quest and getting frustrated with the negative response. People generally have very little patience for being shouted at just for trying to give helpful advice - I recommend saving the shouting for people who've actually earned it.
    A bunch of able-bodied people telling people with disabilities how easy it is and how to do it is not helpful. All it is is dismissing our concerns and talking down to us.


    If you'd tried your best to get as far as you can and were hitting this roadblock, I'd be more understanding, but you haven't even put in the effort to quest to 70, which makes it sound like you just want top-tier things handed to you so that you can put even less effort into the things you actually do (closing rifts)
    I don't need to get to 70, have tried and failed to the point where I want to punch babies to know I am not capable of doing this. I have lived for 60 years with a severe tremor and loss of use of one hand, I am very well aware of what I can and can't do in games.
    I never asked for this to be handed to me, those are your words. And by dismissing the request for another way to do this as "
    just want top-tier things handed to you so that you can put even less effort into the things you actually do (closing rifts)" is yet another way of being patronising to those that are asking for an alternative way to do it. IE we are willing (I am willing) to put the work in if it is at all do-able.

    Quite frankly if you don't personally have a disability that makes doing this task impossible, and you are not offering real support (such as the people that offered to run people through it) and have no understanding of how disability can affect people, please don't comment. It just comes off as ableist, patronising, and condescending. We all know YOU can do it easily... As a disabled person I have a lifetime of hearing just how easy it is for able-bods, and how if I just tried I could do it too,
    Last edited by Hellishly; 10-08-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: changed font colour

  5. #20
    Ascendant Kulta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Just trying to give some help. Take it or leave it. But don't complain about not having it if you can't be half arsed to put the effort in.

    Or you can keep using your "disabilities" to excuse yourself in everything that requires some responsibility.
    I am not using anything as an excuse, I pray for you and hope you never face having your health cause you to feel pain or limitations --
    Have you ever wanted to?

  6. #21
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Even though it's easier to complete than a raid, for some reason people just can't grasp it. And I honestly this is down to one reason, and one reason alone, because no one's telling them how to do it.
    Raids are not comparable to this puzzle. Raids don't require phenomenal mechanical skills, the difficulty is knowing what to do when and good teamwork. This puzzle is mechanically harder than most raids, definitely BOS. Also you are not moving like in a boss fight, you are falling down. Movement is completely different. I am not against the idea of some puzzle to test skills, but it should not be so completely different. A solo bossfight with tricky mechanics would be much better.

    Also I want to point out that people who can't raid due to disabilities also don't need the eternal. You also don't need pvp gear if you are not pvping. Same logic. However if you got something like vertigo, then this puzzle is just terrible.
    Last edited by Dico; 10-11-2018 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Quote was from deleted post

  7. #22
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    Quite frankly if you don't personally have a disability that makes doing this task impossible, and you are not offering real support (such as the people that offered to run people through it) and have no understanding of how disability can affect people, please don't comment. It just comes off as ableist, patronising, and condescending. We all know YOU can do it easily... As a disabled person I have a lifetime of hearing just how easy it is for able-bods, and how if I just tried I could do it too,
    I think "disabilities" is in quotes because we don't actually know if it makes you unable to do it.

    Next, please don't assume that you're the only disabled one here. And if you can't tell the difference between someone taking the time to give tips and advice on how to do better at it and talking down to you in a patronizing way, that's going to make people less willing to spend time on you, not more.

    The first eternal weapon requires no great feats. They basically hand it to you. The first upgrade has a particle component that only requires 15 out of 25, which is not asking much.

    I like how you say "I never asked for this to be handed to me" and then "and you are not offering real support (such as the people that offered to run people through it)" a few sentences later. You are literally telling us that the only true way of helping is to do it for you (which, by the way, is account-sharing, which is against the ToS and can get you banned). Furthermore, I would have expected you to know that helping a disabled person to help themselves is an extremely common form of assistance. For example, a wheelchair-bound employee of a company may use a ramp to get to their job. By comparison, asking one of their coworkers to do their job for them while they sit at home collecting paychecks would not be considered a reasonable accommodation.

    I don't appreciate how you say I "have no understanding of how disability can affect people" just because there's something I am able to do. You don't know me. You don't know what's easy or difficult for me, and why.

    All I see here is an entitled person demanding that someone break ToS to play the game for them while insisting that anything less than this is "ableist" and patronizing and so on.

  8. #23
    BMX
    BMX is online now
    Champion
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Frankly, there have been some good insights on how to better perform in the particle instance however, there have been plenty of snarky, condescending statements as well.

    To those that were supportive and respectful, thanks very, very much.

    to those that were snarky, c'est la vie, there is something you should be doing elsewhere...
    Banned

  9. #24
    Ascendant Kulta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    Frankly, there have been some good insights on how to better perform in the particle instance however, there have been plenty of snarky, condescending statements as well.

    To those that were supportive and respectful, thanks very, very much.

    to those that were snarky, c'est la vie, there is something you should be doing elsewhere...
    Agree!

    They could offer alternative

    They could Remove the red ones as they do not help some with colourblindness I am sure

    They could add more of the Blue sparkles things which would help slower moving players with this quest

    They could let them be cumulative amount rather than reset each time..

    They could do like they did the one minion quest and just remove it completely as part of the quest..

    There are some of the thing I thought of off the top of my head. Trying to think of others and not just my limitations while making practical suggestions.
    Have you ever wanted to?

  10. #25
    Ascendant Onebutton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Just trying to give some help. Take it or leave it. But don't complain about not having it if you can't be half arsed to put the effort in.

    Or you can keep using your "disabilities" to excuse yourself in everything that requires some responsibility.
    Why say something like this? If they are disabled and unable to do this eternal quest, don't berate them or say they aren't trying or making excuses. You do not know this person's life at all.

    Also, just because one person with a disability can perform this particle quest and another cannot, doesn't mean they can't ask for alternatives to this quest. It is always a good idea to add alternatives if enough people are having problems.

    Be helpful, constructive. It goes a long way to assisting someone having problems!
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raid member of GraySkull"

  11. #26
    RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,223

    Default

    It's been long enough now for this quest, time to let it die and either allow multiple attempts that will all stack up instead of attempting it in one try or offer an alternative 'kill X Mobs' quest.



    Mocking people for whatever disability they have though is just not on.

  12. #27
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onebutton View Post
    Why say something like this? If they are disabled and unable to do this eternal quest, don't berate them or say they aren't trying or making excuses. You do not know this person's life at all.

    Also, just because one person with a disability can perform this particle quest and another cannot, doesn't mean they can't ask for alternatives to this quest. It is always a good idea to add alternatives if enough people are having problems.

    Be helpful, constructive. It goes a long way to assisting someone having problems!
    They were being helpful and constructive. Their reward for that was an accusation of being "ableist," being reported, and other things that most people don't expect when they're generously donating their time and expertise to help other people.

    I would appreciate if we all kept in mind that we don't know the details of others' lives rather than assuming that anyone who isn't willing to break ToS to do someone's tasks for them is some kind of terrible person.

  13. #28
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dico View Post
    A solo bossfight with tricky mechanics would be much better.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...aze-steel.html
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

  14. #29
    Ascendant Onebutton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    I did like the post (forgot who) who suggested adding some more blue particles to it That could help perhaps?
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raid member of GraySkull"

  15. #30
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Meh, I look at the eternal as "nice to have" unless you are raiding BOS. Is it awesome? Yes! Is the quest a pain? Yes! But you can complete all content, with the exception of the highest tier raid without it. Sure, things would die faster, but what's the hurry?

    I'm time poor so I would dearly love to do another fast quest like the 25 particles instead of sitting in VP for hours trying to tag 40 ZE bosses. But I don't see them changing the quest to suit me. Also, didn't Dev say that the particles were so integrated into the quest that stuff would break if they tried to change or remove it?

    Also, please don't remove the red balls. I'm deficient in the blue spectrum (is that a disability?) and seeing the blue balls against the blue background is very hard for me. The red balls provide me with a frame of where stuff is since I can see them without any trouble.

    But like some people pointed out, if you have trouble with some aspects of the quest, then raiding might be out of your reach anyway and in my opinion, that is the only content that actually requires the eternal to be completed. It's optional and "nice to have" for anything outside of BOS.

    There are many things that I would like (in game and in RL). When I have difficulties, I either figure out how to work around it or work with my limitations, or I reframe my priorities to help me keep a happy outlook.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts