+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: in defence of a paying playing patron/News about a producer letter

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    The two points I was making were:
    1. To defend someone from the extensive criticism that I feel is unwarranted
    2. We have finally managed to get a communication about a producer letter.

Making this subtle distinction here - communication about a producers letter....why is that phrase important,?

Because this will be the first formal communcation from the producer since the last producer letter, and actually for me will be the make or break moment for Rift (and I have played since early Beta). If I am not satisfied with what is FINALLY being communicated then my money is going to ESO.

Just wanted to clarify that I was only pointing out that we had the first communication about a formal communication to the community about content and direction for live.
    "communication about a formal communication"

I eagerly look forward to the communication about a formal communication regarding when they'll tell us when they're planning to inform us of the plans to relay news about the strategy of revealing a hint about the intended actions that will result in a Producer's Letter.

I have a feeling the letter will go something like "we're doing lots of secret stuff we can't tell you about but it's really cool and we have a lot planned so stay tuned for more communication."

Default I'm falling into saddness

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post

I eagerly look forward to the communication about a formal communication regarding when they'll tell us when they're planning to inform us of the plans to relay news about the strategy of revealing a hint about the intended actions that will result in a Producer's Letter.

I have a feeling the letter will go something like "we're doing lots of secret stuff we can't tell you about but it's really cool and we have a lot planned so stay tuned for more communication."
    Pretty much and I had/have high hopes for this game vs the many other developers of games that dont talk to you period. They deliver. I'm sorry that I'm even saying this but please please please let me get what I want this time and that does not include the same ol' I know this team is stronger than that/this. Look at games like eq2 and stuff, they are about done seriously, you can do this you guys have it in you! You guys can create whatever you want, let us be your wall to fall back on, just try something new and new is new
    this why this game escaped from the masses because creating the same **** is not gonna let anyone follow your game, Sure now I'm in a raiding guild and I get it, I get the longggggggg *** time on spending to get gear and all that we need. Its I feel as if its just a lonnnnnngggg process of what is misguided and under developed by the devs, just sayin. I think that if you had me in your studios I would order, order. where no one takes a damn break till they get it right...it seems that the studio is so scattered and I'v said this many times. I will say that certain Dev's know their **** and they do and thats good! I feel good about some of them, but the company, ......? and also where is the money going??? I asked this in another thread...where is it going??? just be real and honest and tell us the truth and be full of dignity, you don't have to hide from the people that are here to support you. Just keep it real.<3

oh and wow created a real hand job too lmao, everyone is upset because, no one wants a grind, its time to think new and get away from that.
    Last edited by MissGreen; 10-06-2018 at 01:54 AM.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Ascendant

Rift in 2016: Hold on guys, there will be some content coming soon.
    Rift in 2018: Hold on guys, there will be some Producer's letter coming soon.
    Rift in 2020(?): Hold on guys, there will be some announcement of a Producer's letter coming soon.

Seriously, this game must have the most patient player base I have ever heard of

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post

Thank you TigerhawkT3: you were able to discern my meaning there....it's a communication to let us know there will in fact be a formal communication about what to expect for Live and that's all it is!

it is the first formal communication to let us know to expect it in October, because as far as am aware (and missed a couple of recent streams) this has not been mentioned anywhere else.

As for the content within the producers letter in regard to "content"......yes the last 3 letters have been vague and balanced between the twin peaks of promising lots and delivering little and promising nothing and delivering little.

As I said in my earlier post if I am not satisfied with what the letter tells me is happening and what content to expect, and when, then it makes the decision an awful lot easier for me to end my sub and walk away to one of the many other dynamic exciting titles out there.

My pain however will be in leaving a community, that I have been part of for just shy of 8 years now including beta time, that I have made a more than considerable investment of time, energy, passion and money into.

Although I have always strived to be constructive in any criticism I have also usually tended to err on the positive and RIFT does have some truly amazing positive facets even now when people are feeling incredibly disenfranchised.

Hell, if nothing else, they could launch a dimension only version and it would draw people in.

All the above being said...hope is not yet lost, the Devs are busting their guts trying to expand an already vast product, the blank wall in terms of communication could be an indicator of them working on some vast RIFT project yet to be announced?

Remember...
    Communication is key to any successful endeavour, but so is community and Rift has a very passionate community indeed.

Fingers crossed this is a root and branch communication that gives us some hard information on what to expect, when to expect it and when we can get our teeth into testing it! If it also contained information about immediate, mid term and long term plans too that might be a good thing!

TLDR: This producer letter is make or break for me, and possibly also for many others of the very patient, loyal and passionate playerbase.
    Last edited by AtoningUnifex; 10-06-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Plane Touched

Default Not holding my breath...

Lovely post. All this was said and even more so in very constructive ways after SFP launched. The constructive comments continued - folks just faded away waiting.... I have loved this game fiercely and miss it like crazy. I would be ecstatic if real original (not rehashed) content was delivered. I still follow these forums. It may seem negative- but that is because after asking for so long people yell to be heard. Most of them love this game but hate the loss of friends they play the game with.

Just another vague Dev letter with fancy words telling us they didn't pull the plug off on live and we should keep supporting the game we love by Patron subs which eventually goes to other projects.

This letter is the very last chance most players are giving Devs, we need brand new contents which add valuable experience to the game and NOT recycled, is that hard to ask.
    other games players complain about not having new contents minimally every 4 months and we are stuck for 24+ months!!
    I keel Em Too Fast !

Im so dissapointed with the dev letters every time. Lets hope this will be different and give timelines for new content

Plane Walker

The problem is that 80% plus of the people who have left will lol when it comes to coming back. It sucks but it is true.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Rift Disciple

I don't understand all the hype about producer's letters. They are basically advertisements.

I do agree that previous letters had too many empty promises and outright lies. But even if the letters told the truth, people would still complain. Because the root problem is lack of content. Nobody thinks that it is acceptable if they told you that the next raid will be coming one year later.

Also if they only announce things which are 100% sure coming at a certain date, then people will complain about lack of communication. They can't be 100% sure about most things. To be honest besides some cases of empty promises and outright lies, I don't think communication is really a big issue. They simply aren't producing enough content.

Champion

I don't care if raid content is new or a rehash, raiders need something different to do. Asking people to do the same 3 bosses for a year really puts me in a tough position. Several long lived raiding guilds are gone and never to return, Dol Amroth is starting to bleed.

Default also for pvp

the new pvp platform/wf is not a way to deal with us..we want balance, if you have to keep us all the same, than fin but what is the advantage/disadvantage? I'm pretty sure GW2 lets you do you do just that even at a low lvl you get the gear and you are faceoffing ...maybe that would be something to think about. pvp is never balanced in most games and it would nice to walk in confident, just knowing your skills and such. Perhaps that is a good/better way to go rather than what we have now? The entire game is out of sync. At least make pvp aweseome and I don't see it being that hard to do. Just put everyone up, Assign gear for each class make it all the same, tank, heals dps, support, make it all the same and as soon as we all enter, we get that gear, the same gear. kinda like , well just like GW2, we join and we get all the gear, however we have to focus on our build
    I think it could work well , also it will trim down the bullstuff and work on your end. maybe those devs are lazy over in other games but they are also aware...
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    Holyroller is a great guy indeed, a very active, passionate and constructive player who is always willing to take the extra effort for the community.

That aside, a lot of the frustration here in the forums has a reason. And I agree, the last 2-3 producer's letters weren't much more than PR talk and promises of which many weren't kept. A new producer's letter won't help much, especially when it's just "sometime in the future" or world event or cosmetic stuff.
    • Autumn Harvest is not new content.
    • iGSB is not new content.
    • Tenebrean Trouble puzzle dungeon is new content but is only interesting for a very small part of the playerbase.
    • We have yet to learn more about planar diciples and planar dungeons, but it doesn't seem to be challenging, group-based content or pvp, which is what many are seeking for.

I mean is it really that impossible to bring out a brand new 10-man raid / a dungeon / a new zone every 2-3 months and maybe make pvp seasons via the prestige system and pvp gear upgrades so there is some progression there too?

The new power packs seem to sell well, I bet if you would bring some thousand players back with actual content they'd sell even better...

Τhats all I need.
    Really a new small zone every 4 months (like GW2 do ) would work perfect to keep people occupied
    Last edited by simpa1988; 10-08-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Innomorata View Post
    With the dev hours they have a new raid or dungeon every 2-3 MONTHS is indeed "really that impossible". That's a really fast turnaround for ANY game, let alone Trion.
    Not really. Most MMO expansions actually get released with a handful of new dungeons, a few zones, and whatever their end-game focus is (raids, pvp stuff, etc). Rift expansions generally don't come with much of anything, in comparison, beyond vague promises of future content. If they aren't going to release enough content up front to justify the expansion cost plus subscription, then they really should be able to release new stuff every quarter as an alternative.

If they can't handle doing even that, then either their business model is broken or they aren't very good at their jobs from the top down.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by discosoc View Post
    Not really. Most MMO expansions actually get released with a handful of new dungeons, a few zones, and whatever their end-game focus is (raids, pvp stuff, etc). Rift expansions generally don't come with much of anything, in comparison, beyond vague promises of future content. If they aren't going to release enough content up front to justify the expansion cost plus subscription, then they really should be able to release new stuff every quarter as an alternative.

If they can't handle doing even that, then either their business model is broken or they aren't very good at their jobs from the top down.
    You're right that, as you say, "most mmo expansions" release with the things you said. But not every 2-3 months. More like every 18 months. Look at WOW expansions. They're not every 2-3 months, not even close. And EQ2 which I played has had many large content expansions, but again they were every 14-18 months apart. And those were paid sub games. PEople need to accept Rift is not an AAA sub mmo anymore and won't be again. It's a small F2P game and has the resources and release schedule that that implies. And I see the point you make about releasing smaller amounts every quarter. And there is a game that does this, Guild Wars 2. But when I played the quarterly stuff was mostly rehashed, taking advantage of the same zones and storylines. They DID bring in new stuff , but I don't think we can expect Trion to compare to them. Not thatwe Shouldn't , but just that it won't do ny ggod, they will just not measure up.
    Last edited by Innomorata; 10-16-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Deepwood- Linn, Mina, Mordana, Nif, Sif
    Vigil- Linn, Nif, Mena

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2