+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree61Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: shards down?

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #46
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letigre View Post
    I don't even know what the official channels of communication are anymore. Seems that some things, like a delayed patch are communicated in private discord servers instead of in public locations.

That is an entirely different sort of problem.
    That is a mischaracterization - the patch was not delayed officially a day because a patch time had yet to be announced. We typically - but not always - patch on Wednesdays, but that is not an official schedule, only customary. The official schedule is when a patch date is announced, as it was last night. On these forums.

Because some people become concerned when an event (a patch) that has not been officially announced also did not happen when they thought it would, I tossed a quick informal shout out so that perhaps there would be less concern about a thing that wasn't announced or planned anyway didn't happen when it was never planned to happen.

It wasn't an official communication from me because I was basically just trying to affirm that nothing was scheduled to happen yesterday because... nothing was announced for yesterday.

Official patch times are announced here, the official forums, exactly as they were last night.
    Last edited by Salvatrix; 09-27-2018 at 07:13 AM.
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Default thanks Brasse

Thanks for update Brasse (And Salvatrix on Discord) - much appreciated, and yeah i know the joy of 1am calls to say..."erm boss.....the servers are on fire.....no really....on fire...what do i do.."

Especially difficult when you have major activity incoming on that zone on PRIME and everyone knows its coming then that is the precise zones affected by an unrelated issue.

no matter how much testing is ever done there is always a risk when back into real world scenarios.

Fingers crossed the IT magic bullet works and the issue is resolved for Live NA players locked in Tempest Bay....wait there is a conquest map or warfront or dungeon idea in there....rescue the players trapped in TB....is Simon around?

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #48
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Oddly the servers themselves were not on fire, or I would have received a call. I strongly prefer to get those calls when needed!

It looks like NOC saw a total of 8 reports, which is not usually a major issue. Again, we're looking into it further, because clearly something glitched and inconvenienced a number of players between 11:30 PM and patch time at 7:30 AM today.

As I posted to someone earlier in this thread, I normally do not post downtime until it has been confirmed, and while it's usually some time on Tuesday that the build clears, it can vary a lot, as we saw this week. Last night, it was confirmed after 9:00 PM. I posted the downtime, and later reduced the duration from 3 to 1.5 hours, based on new information.

I will endeavor to post when we do NOT have a patch in future.
    Brasse

We do our best, and continue to seek improvement.
    We care. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    - I sleep with my phone under my pillow.
    My ethian alt seems to be very interested in dwarven pillow accoustic parameters, especially it's silencing effects. I am not fully sure if she isn't plotting something. When it comes to new technology, she is unpredictable.
    Telaran Extravaganza Eleganza
    Alphaine@Deepwood / BrassVespid@Deepwood (and plenty of alts @ <Jubi> thanks to chronic altaholism)

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatrix View Post
    That is a mischaracterization - the patch was not delayed officially a day because a patch time had yet to be announced. We typically - but not always - patch on Wednesdays, but that is not an official schedule, only customary. The official schedule is when a patch date is announced, as it was last night. On these forums.

Because some people become concerned when an event (a patch) that has not been officially announced also did not happen when they thought it would, I tossed a quick informal shout out so that perhaps there would be less concern about a thing that wasn't announced or planned anyway didn't happen when it was never planned to happen.

It wasn't an official communication from me because I was basically just trying to affirm that nothing was scheduled to happen yesterday because... nothing was announced for yesterday.

Official patch times are announced here, the official forums, exactly as they were last night.
    You've missed the point, which Holyroller got, entirely.

I reference that post not to suggest that Holyroller's post, or your message, was anything other than informal communication, but to highlight the glaring lack of formal, official communication. The crux of the problem is that that informal communication was the first word regarding any sort of patch and that that informal communication highlights that, at least internally, someone at Trion knew the patch would be late, and yet decided, intentionally or not, to neglect the community.

It should not be a surprise to anyone that humans are creatures of habit. That patches have, historically, happened on Wednesdays has come to be expected by the player base. It's trivial enough to find proof of this in that there are multiple posts asking about the patch whenever there has been a delay or deviation in that schedule.

Not anticipating that, entirely predictable, response, and, consequently, not taking steps to circumvent that response seems remiss.

Before anyone starts in on "do you want them to work on the patch or post updates?" I would ask about how long it takes to post a simple message letting customers know what to expect.

The following goes for the (late) patch notice and the shard issue for this thread:
    No one is expecting a dissertation on the subject. A trivial, one sentence even, message letting the community know that there's a delay/there's a problem would do untold wonders for morale.
    Last edited by Letigre; 09-27-2018 at 08:06 AM. Reason: A word

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatrix View Post
    The number of times a weekly reset has NOT happened on a Wednesday, is probably countable on two hands, MAYBE throw some toes in there too. So let's say I dunno 15 weeks out of 365 weeks of rift being live has been a reset other than Wednesday. The loophole language of "It's not official" doesn't change the fact it's been the standard, established BY YOU. If someone asks a player when reset is the answer is "They patch and reset on Wednesdays" not "WELL ThEreS nOT ReaLly An 'OffICiAl' PAtCh DaY, it couLD Be aNy DAy THey want"

I mean honestly, do you guys ever get tired of making excuses for yourselves instead of just owning up to stuff?
    Last edited by Miloria; 09-27-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Numbers.

As the previous 2 posts pointed out - In the 7 years that Rift been around and as long as i've been playing, patches have historically almost always been on Wednesday mornings so it's reasonable to see why most people expect it to happen on that day. When people usually ask when resets/patches are, people will give the day/time without missing a beat. When there's a delay along with no official update/warning, then people will lose their minds and ask what happened. I can understand the technical reasoning behind not officially announcing delays, but a quick forum post from basically anyone on the dev team to give a heads up on such a possible delay would be nice in the future is all. I don't know if people are using special key codes on their forum accounts (in which case that would be the exception) but it takes almost as much time to post here as it does on any of the discords.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Telaran

...not to mention a quick note at the end of it along the lines of *Everything's up and running. Happy Gaming.* so we know the maint's done and some of us aren't left wondering if our game's gonna implode trying to log in before the game's ready for us.

You're good about that when it's an emergency maint but I almost never see it otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4