+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rift development goals

Default Rift development goals

Lately, I've seen the claim that the Rift team "cannot make all things happen for all players." I've seen a lot of similar statements lately. "We don't have the resources for that right now." "That's not a priority at the moment." The list goes on. I think that warrants asking about what the team's goals are. With that in mind, I have a few questions I'd really appreciate getting answers for.

How much content does the team shoot to launch?
    What amount of that content is targeted at casuals, intermediate, and hardcore players?
    What does the team consider to be an acceptable ratio of new to reused content to be?
    What level of support for outgoing content is there expected to be? By that I'm referring to how many resources should be allocated to bug fixes and balancing; and how much time those things should take.

Just as a point of clarification, I'm asking all of these questions exclusively in the context of live.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

Just give up mate you cant get any answer from Trion side.

We have a lot of content you know. Dimension, artifact oh oh come oooonn

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Last Dawn

Telaran

Rift has a ton of content, just no reason to do it anymore.
    Zerofate@faeblight

So is Trion being quiet about stuff? I haven't actively played the game in a few years but I keep it installed and login occasionally thinking one day, one day... but now I'm paranoid that Trion is giving up on the game and see a lot of people talk about how they only care about Prime. So whats the general consensus?

Shadowlander

Default .......

So is Trion being quiet about stuff? I haven't actively played the game in a few years but I keep it installed and login occasionally thinking one day, one day... but now I'm paranoid that Trion is giving up on the game and see a lot of people talk about how they only care about Prime. So whats the general consensus?

Trying to get answers from Trion is an exercise in futility. For the most part yes Prime seems to be their main focus even though pretty much the majority of live players didn't want this because we knew it would lead to Live being ignored, having the player base split, and not getting anything new on live among other reasons even though we were told it wouldn't have an effect on it.

Honestly Live hasn't received any sort of love from the devs in quite some time other than some class balances changes, dim stuff, and fixing different assorted bugs like quest texts and the like. Although we post repeatedly on these forums hoping for a different outcome we have yet to receive it.

I love rift but it really is just repetitive raids that have been out for quite some time which most guilds have completed repeatedly the newest being BOS which has 3 bosses but came out some time ago and no new lands, content, or anything of the sort coming out in the future that we are aware of other than IGSB which of course is just a rehash of greenscales blight that was a 20 man they are making 10 man.

We are all hoping for different changes but as I said earlier getting anything out of Trion about the future of Rift Live sadly is a waste of time. This is just my 2 cents so take it as you will. Have a good weekend!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverclothesoff View Post

Trying to get answers from Trion is an exercise in futility. For the most part yes Prime seems to be their main focus even though pretty much the majority of live players didn't want this because we knew it would lead to Live being ignored, having the player base split, and not getting anything new on live among other reasons even though we were told it wouldn't have an effect on it.

Honestly Live hasn't received any sort of love from the devs in quite some time other than some class balances changes, dim stuff, and fixing different assorted bugs like quest texts and the like. Although we post repeatedly on these forums hoping for a different outcome we have yet to receive it.

I love rift but it really is just repetitive raids that have been out for quite some time which most guilds have completed repeatedly the newest being BOS which has 3 bosses but came out some time ago and no new lands, content, or anything of the sort coming out in the future that we are aware of other than IGSB which of course is just a rehash of greenscales blight that was a 20 man they are making 10 man.

We are all hoping for different changes but as I said earlier getting anything out of Trion about the future of Rift Live sadly is a waste of time. This is just my 2 cents so take it as you will. Have a good weekend!
    You are right Olive , so many questions and only crickets in reply . The only time they speak up is if they have something new to sell . Take care Olive and say Hi to the rest of the gang for me , maybe I'll log on again some day .

Shadowlander

Default We miss you ambr!!

I will tell everyone hi for yah ambr, i usually only log in for raids like it is for most people these days and that's if we can get enough to even run it anymore. Sad to see that rift live has come to this and unfortunately it just gets worse everyday. It was good to hear from yah and I wish you luck in whatever you do, hopefully we see you back on rift sometime! Take care ambr

The more I look into this the more paranoid I get. I could have swore sometime over the summer I caught a livestream where they sort of eluded to new content coming and stuff - but now I'm worried its all for Prime. Or that they aren't making enough money and will shut this game down. That said, I haven't actively played since Storm Legion days. Those were the best. I always intend to come back, and I love the idea of a FTP game where I can buy cosmetics and stuff with real money to support the game. But.... I'm a casual player. I dont raid. I rarely do dungeons. I'm more in it for the world events, instant adventures, holiday events, etc. But I'm scared to actually make this game my priority game if the company isnt really giving it much attention.

The livestreams I went to watch, because like I said I still care about this game, were hosted by other people. I get that the company has other games (I casually play Defiance!) but ... I'm worried.

Like real worried. The community as a whole doesn't seem that together, happy, and the Devs dont talk much. Frick, I miss Elrar! Remember him? I think I'm spelling his usertag right. He ALWAYS talked to us. He PLAYED the game actively. He was honest and fun. He was there. I dont recognize many people anymore and the nostalgia is growing weary.

Shadowlander

They still have all the usual as far as raid rifts, world events, instant adventure, etc. But even in the events they do like for summer, fall, winter etc. they have alot of the same quests they did the years before with the same rewards. They did have a few new pieces of gear/wardrobe that people were able to get but doing the same quests as the years previous to it made it kinda meh... but this is just my feelings on it and it may be different for other people.

Even if you don't do dungeons or raids the game is fun, it's just for a lot of us we have been done with our characters for quite some time and don't really have anything to do cause of the lack of new content and these days the lack of people to even do raids/dungeons cause people are tired of doing the same stuff over and over again. Besides of course the grind fests that for some reason Trion thought was a good idea like the eternal weapon and intel.

Honestly you're the only one that can decide whether or not you enjoy the game for what it is, has become, or what it will be in the future. Most people complaining on these forums do so cause we have been told stuff by trion that either didn't come true, we knew would be a bad idea (Prime), or they just ignore what we post cause they either don't have answers or are afraid to say anything in case they get raked over the coals or a combination of the above.

Most of us still around are here because we love the game but it really is at the point where most people have left, are going to leave, or just log in for certain things to help their guilds or just to do the seasonal events. It sucks that it has come to this but unfortunately that's the way it is for now and until Prime has run it's course the Live server seems to be a shell of it's former self and even after Prime we will still have to wait and see if anything changes.

These are just my feelings on the game so take it however you want but I've been here since Rift first came out and one of the many hoping that something changes even though it feels like just hitting my head against the wall hoping to get a different outcome other than a headache.

Soulwalker

It's just lack of resources. They have a team. They can do this much. that's what you get. If there were more players there would be more resources but a LOT of people left this game behind a long time ago because it seemed like the devs weren't developing the game the players wanted to play. It's sad because now 5 years later (apart from rift store and f2p) the game is actually very close to being the game we wanted. The only problem is lack of players. I think there is diminishing interest in MMORPGs in general and I can't think of a time I actually saw an advertisement for this game. Poor marketing will kill anything. Even a lemonade stand needs marketing. just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAWinning View Post
    I think there is diminishing interest in MMORPGs in general and I can't think of a time I actually saw an advertisement for this game. Poor marketing will kill anything. Even a lemonade stand needs marketing. just my 2c.
    Correct. MMOs are not as popular anymore and it clearly shows. Even Blizzard bonked WoW into a simple MMO, because they prefer putting the money into Hearthstone, SC2 and Overwatch as those are E-Sport capable. That brings more interest and more money.

From what I can find out, it seems Trion is more focused on casual content instead of raiding content, which is fine for me. Raiders (the 5%) do seem to be the loudest types on the forums, but at the same time it also feels like they are the minority. Silent people are happy people these days.
    It's really also about income. I'm curious what players bring in the most money, but given Rift is F2P, I have a feeling the minority is also the ones spending less in games.

In any case the interest is less. We've seen a few MMOs shutting down now while high interest MMOs are more casual.
    A few MMOs are on the horizon, but they either lack same interest or going to hosted by Russians (rekt) and we all know the stories about overhyped MMOs.

Personally MMOs feel better in tandem with other regular games, as otherwise I just burn out no matter the amount of content that game has.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gharn View Post
    From what I can find out, it seems Trion is more focused on casual content instead of raiding content, which is fine for me. Raiders (the 5%) do seem to be the loudest types on the forums, but at the same time it also feels like they are the minority.
    Is that really so that only 5% of the players in Rift are interested in challenging content? The only thing I've noticed is that there are less and less players because there are no new challenges in the game. I myself have been playing MMORPGS since Everquest 1 (1999) and challenging group/raid activities (dungeons, raids, world bosses) have been the main reason for me to play MMORPGS. WoW produced a lot of raid content in the previous expansion and the general feedback was more positive than in expansions where there was little raid content. But Blizzard is also able to produce group/raid content for different levels of difficulty and to appeal to a larger number of players. Trion was on the right track with the Comet of the Ahnket raid and the different difficulty levels but with the release of SFP the concept was unfortunately abandoned probably because it would have taken too much development time.

I don't play WoW and don't actively engage with it either, but I still hear and read about some crazy stuff that guilds do to reach worldfirsts. Because raiders as you said are the loudest, they probably generate more attention for the game which is free promotion. Rift didn't get that attention.

I think challenging content also leads to players wanting to share their successes with the world and therefore create more videos, streams, websites etc which increases the popularity of a game. However, you shouldn't neglect the casual player who wants to be more comfortable, one more reason why different levels of difficulty and catch-up mechanisms are very important in a modern MMORPG.
    Last edited by Bamul; 09-18-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Shadowlander

From what I can find out, it seems Trion is more focused on casual content instead of raiding content, which is fine for me. Raiders (the 5%) do seem to be the loudest types on the forums, but at the same time it also feels like they are the minority.

I think it's more than 5% as you can prolly tell with the lack of players now but of course that is debatable since a lot of the raiders are now gone and if they are focused on just the casuals it would be nice if they came out and said that so a lot of us could move on.

I am more than just a raider, I also used to enjoy the pvp back in the port scion days especially before guardian and defiant were mixed, those were some good times filled with amazing matches, but thanks to Trion we don't even have decent pvp anymore. Why can't we get the valor/prestige and gear say like maybe the eternal stuff for pvp to make it viable again??

I also enjoyed the world events like Volan that were awesome and use to get hundreds of people to show up at back in the day, why can't we get more stuff along those lines?? Or do something like that in the lower level lands so new players get a taste of what the game is all about and they don't feel so barren when they first start.

Even for the casual player this game hasn't offered much in like a year (outside of prime which yeah not going there cause most people know I didn't agree with that AT ALL) and eventually even they are going to be leaving for greener pastures. We are not just asking for Raids, we need new stuff period and we definitely need some people at Trion that are willing to listen to their player base.

Correct. MMOs are not as popular anymore and it clearly shows. Even Blizzard bonked WoW into a simple MMO, because they prefer putting the money into Hearthstone, SC2 and Overwatch as those are E-Sport capable. That brings more interest and more money.

From what I can find out, it seems Trion is more focused on casual content instead of raiding content, which is fine for me. Raiders (the 5%) do seem to be the loudest types on the forums, but at the same time it also feels like they are the minority. Silent people are happy people these days.
    It's really also about income. I'm curious what players bring in the most money, but given Rift is F2P, I have a feeling the minority is also the ones spending less in games.

In any case the interest is less. We've seen a few MMOs shutting down now while high interest MMOs are more casual.
    A few MMOs are on the horizon, but they either lack same interest or going to hosted by Russians (rekt) and we all know the stories about overhyped MMOs.

Personally MMOs feel better in tandem with other regular games, as otherwise I just burn out no matter the amount of content that game has.
    If you actually read his post properly, you could actually realize he was pointing losing players is current problem of the game and game losing players because there is no content coming to any kind of playstyle even now dimensioneers worried of the game for reasons like there is no more raiders, no more casual players so they are started to think about they are the only ones paying for the game and already realized overpricing happening on dimension items etc.

Raids or pve encounters in general on any mmo not only target hardcore players but players who daily login for spending few hours with their friends and family, RIFT not only lose raiders but also lost PVP players lack of balance, rng on pvp fragment drops and rng gambling on few good fragments dropped reasons for PVP players leaving the game.

Successful contents like conquest (original) removed from game, port scion a fun warfront disabled for a year because balancing it apparently was hard then it came back which is making another paradox.

RIFT's current problems coming from badly planned development goals and schedule, stuff like silencing all players who is honest with their opinions and worried for the state of game and direction it's heading wasn't solution, this people kept mentioning that problems since mid era of NMT, either banned on forums or even on game, blackmailing them and asking to remove youtube videos they released, if removed they can get another chance to play game etc not a smart and reliable idea and any sane person wouldn't do such stuff.

We kept posting all kind of feedback about all kind of stuff to make game better, posted all bugs found out, balance issues but 95% of them ignored.

You know whats funny we players worried for the state of the game and employees of the TRION worried about company and leaked PTO changes to massivelyop and you know that information was handed to few players too and I was knowing it but we kept it in between us and somehow apperantly person who told it to us recently left trion for another company

I bet most people who is working on TRION already worried for their future many veterans like Morticus left company and people listed on linkedin dropped down from 285 to 228 since June and recent layoff happend mentioned around 15 people left which is way less than actual numbers, only money making title is for sure Trove, all other titles having same amount of onlines according to steamcharts which is actual reflection of games popularity.

Popularity means good game and good marketing most Trion titles do not even have single streamer on twitch or any other platform either.

People who raise their voices mostly on forums actually people who loves the game, who is worried for the game and do not want to lose their loved game like what happened to WildStar, and you know what? For most people WildStar's housing was best on any mmo even better than RIFT and their most portion of onlines were housing players like what's happening with RIFT right now.

TLDR; Any product in this world shouldn't ignore any of their customer base when you start ignore and alienate your customers and act high and mighty you will just damage yourself because money is your customers money unless they cash it to you.

PS: WoW had 5.4m subs before latest expansion released ;) and we can easily assume they have more than 7m subs after expansion release, Bless Online had 900k viewers on Twitch on release, RIFT had 15k viewers on Prime release, ye MMOs not popular anymore
    Last edited by aileen; 09-18-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60)
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    PS: WoW had 5.4m subs before latest expansion released ;) and we can easily assume they have more than 7m subs after expansion release, Bless Online had 900k viewers on Twitch on release, RIFT had 15k viewers on Prime release, ye MMOs not popular anymore
    WoW had nearly 13 million or so subs at it's prime, but dropped over time due to their own changes.
    It could also just be players are more scattered now as we have more titles available.
    E-Sport games however did capture a lot of players, giving the feeling MMOs are not interesting anymore. Challenges are easier to seek in such games compared to MMOs.

Also...I wouldn't ever use Bless Online as any example except for my "overhyped" statement. It has failed miserably, constantly in negative rating on Steam since the "EU" release. Other review areas are not kind either.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast