+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The case for Zone Automentoring

  1. #1
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    523

    Default The case for Zone Automentoring

    I know some people on Prime don't like the automentoring system. Some people people at the level cap don't want to be bothered when they enter lower level zones, that's fine. I get it.

    But here's a few reasons I think this could be a net win in the long run.

    1. Call to action events and zone events. Most of us hate not getting credit for zone events when a max level character 1 shots a boss before others can get there and get a hit on it. Quite a few times I've killed invasions and footholds and got zero credit because I failed to get to a boss in time to hit it. I know the system isn't supposed to work that way, but it happens.

    2. The biggest complaint is getting dismounted. Most of us have dozens of mounts by now. It's rare to get dismounted if your mount is listed as "steadfast." Just read the tooltip. Some don't want to bother fighting stuff, even while mentored you're vastly more powerful than the old zones even while mentored.

    3. I think there's an easy tie in to content that most would appreciate. For the better part of a year there's been no new content at all in this game. Most people are leaving because they're bored.

    Here's an easy way to make content that's already in the game relevant.

    Similar to the patron sparkle quest you could make the same reward available for weekly quests.

    If the zones auto-mentored we could have dozens of old encounters like Akala, Kazz-Ra, Baron Krevic, as well as the PTW bosses and other Dendrome bosses available for weekly quests. It's not something new to do, but at least it's not TDez and QF.

    Prime already has the tech to do automentoring, the bosses are already in the game. The only real dev would be a quest giver.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

    I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

  2. #2
    Isp
    Isp is online now
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    Similar to the patron sparkle quest you could make the same reward available for weekly quests.
    Sparkles are useless for raiders for almost a year now, and non raiders have to spend a lot of time only to get duplicate after duplicate. But giving T1 gear as low effort weekly reward does not sound right too - why to raid then?
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

  3. #3
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isp View Post
    Sparkles are useless for raiders for almost a year now, and non raiders have to spend a lot of time only to get duplicate after duplicate. But giving T1 gear as low effort weekly reward does not sound right too - why to raid then?
    What I had in mind was perhaps make 3 bosses available each week for currency a choice of currencies and a T1 reward box for doing all 3. Towards the end of SL there was a very similar thing with the outdoor raid weeklies.

    It's not like T1 will be a big deal in a few months when IGSB and T3 gear comes out. It's a useful way for alts and new players to catch up.
    Last edited by Skiye; 09-11-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

    I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

  4. #4
    Telaran Valnia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    71

    Default

    I absolutely do NOT want auto-mentoring for entire zones.
    I like being able to do unstable events without having to worry about having to defend myself all the time. I understand the issue with max level people one-shotting bosses for events, but also have had events where a higher level was needed to kill a boss because only two or three players were available for the event. Just leave live as is, let them play with different rule-sets for prime.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    214

    Default

    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...new-shard.html

    See the existing Suggestions thread. TL;DR - Auto mentor sucks and we need a different solution. I suggest anyone over leveled being debuffed to do zero damage.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker Pirana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I say leave it the way it is. We had this intoduced a couple of years back in SWTOR, but itís called level sync and it was not optional. You synced down to whatever the appropriate was regardless . It did not go over well with the bulk of the forum posters. I understand both sides of the argument, Iím just not a fan of syncing with the appropriate level. For instance if i want to run dailiies in a lower level zone for credits and possibly something else for completing a Weekly in that area, Iíd rather blow through it as quickly as possible.

  7. #7
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
    I say leave it the way it is. We had this intoduced a couple of years back in SWTOR, but itís called level sync and it was not optional. You synced down to whatever the appropriate was regardless . It did not go over well with the bulk of the forum posters. I understand both sides of the argument, Iím just not a fan of syncing with the appropriate level. For instance if i want to run dailiies in a lower level zone for credits and possibly something else for completing a Weekly in that area, Iíd rather blow through it as quickly as possible.
    I figured with as content starved as everyone else is, and the large amount of ready made open world open world raids would seem fun to at least a few of you. Even at the cost of some very minor inconvenience.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

    I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

  8. #8
    Ascendant Holyroller12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    SNIP
    They had already confirmed a little while back that auto mentoring (like Prime has) will not be applied to existing zones, but will apply to all future zones going forward. It's something they worked on and intend to implement for the future and probably for a lot of the reasons you already gave for wanting it like people destroying lower level zone event bosses right off of the bat.

    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

    Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Auto mentoring is a disease. If people want to mentor down then they can, but forcing it on people is not a good thing. It is one of the reasons I stopped playing Prime. I can almost guarantee that if it is forced onto Live it really will be the deathknell for Rift.

    WoW did it in their previous to this one expansion and it made a lot of people leave. They have made it universal in this new one and one glance at their forums will show just how unpopular that is. Why bother getting max level if you never outlevel what is around you? Sure it's great if you play something way over-tuned or something super tanky, but for anything else it's painful.

    The argument that you will still be much stronger than things in the area even if mentored down only works if you are a geared max level player. Anything else is brought back to being as weak as it was while leveling in that zone.

    Auto mentoring will kill low level mat farming and events like the Unstable Artifact one. There are also timeslots (such as Oceanic prime times) and zones where just getting 2 or 3 people in the zone is a feat, so it would make events in those zones or at that timeslot undo-able.
    Last edited by Hellishly; 09-11-2018 at 03:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker Pirana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    I figured with as content starved as everyone else is, and the large amount of ready made open world open world raids would seem fun to at least a few of you. Even at the cost of some very minor inconvenience.
    The level sync in SWTOR isn't bad all in all. Hypothetically, let's say I head to a level 50 daily zone and I'm level 70 (which is their level cap also), your character is put at the highest possible level for the level sync in that zone, which if I remember correctly is two to three levels above the zone, so it's not as if it's hard to kill anything. If they can make it so we won't get dismounted by an npc repeatedly while cruising around in those lower zones, no biggie. As mentioned by a previous poster in regards to a future update where the lower zones won't be affected by a level sync, no biggie. If the higher level zones are the only ones we have to deal with, that's fine.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Quna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    234

    Default

    I definitely support auto-mentoring for zone event bosses. At minimum, failure to mentor should not count whatever achievement/gear upgrade/loot the max level player was trying to get by one-shotting a lowbie ZE boss.
    Faeblight dimensions: Dragontail Pond, Pirlfealle Tower (temporarily offline for renovation)

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    I definitely support auto-mentoring for zone event bosses. At minimum, failure to mentor should not count whatever achievement/gear upgrade/loot the max level player was trying to get by one-shotting a lowbie ZE boss.
    At the moment, acheivements and CTA invasions/footholds are some of the only, if not the only, things that reward anything to unmentored. Not rewarding is not enough of a deterrent. We need to lock this down with preventing damage from anyone who is too high of level, not just somewhat, 100% damage nerf.

    Any players under level 70/without an eternal do get Planar Equity when fighting bosses/Hellbug footholds and it seems to really slow them down, but 70s (and I assume the eternal procs are a large part of this) easily still nuke despite Equity. This is why we cannot have a even 1% of damage go through. Something is seriously bugged on Equity.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    The argument that you will still be much stronger than things in the area even if mentored down only works if you are a geared max level player. Anything else is brought back to being as weak as it was while leveling in that zone.
    That is not how mentoring works. Gear does NOT matter. You get some generic stats for each slot regardless of what higher level stuff you got equiped. Even the eternal weapon procs get removed. Differences between players are caused by flaws of the mentoring system. High level players got more abilities and legendaries unlocked. And some stuff may not get mentored down properly like feasts, maybe runes and orbs etc. Some specs perform better while mentored down. In general these imbalances make some players too strong. So your argument does not hold there. So maybe trion should fix mentoring first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    Auto mentoring will kill low level mat farming and events like the Unstable Artifact one. There are also timeslots (such as Oceanic prime times) and zones where just getting 2 or 3 people in the zone is a feat, so it would make events in those zones or at that timeslot undo-able.
    I don't see how it would kill that. Demounting and lower mount speed in low level zones would be a nerf, but it is not that big a deal. Events are not intended to be done by 2-3 players who are killing mobs with one hit.
    Last edited by Dico; 09-12-2018 at 06:42 AM.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dico View Post
    Gear does NOT matter. You get some generic stats for each slot regardless of what higher level stuff you got equiped. Even the eternal weapon procs get removed..
    This is so not true. A level 20 will always lose to a level 70 mentored to 20. A level 50 will lose to a level 70 when they're both mentored to 20. Regardless of Eternal proc bugs, flat out, mentoring does not make us equals.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dico View Post
    That is not how mentoring works. Gear does NOT matter. You get some generic stats for each slot regardless of what higher level stuff you got equiped. Even the eternal weapon procs get removed. Differences between players are caused by flaws of the mentoring system. High level players got more abilities and legendaries unlocked. And some stuff may not get mentored down properly like feasts, maybe runes and orbs etc. Some specs perform better while mentored down. In general these imbalances make some players too strong. So your argument does not hold there. So maybe trion should fix mentoring first.


    I don't see how it would kill that. Demounting and lower mount speed in low level zones would be a nerf, but it is not that big a deal. Events are not intended to be done by 2-3 players who are killing mobs with one hit.

    This is exactly how mentoring works. I can run around (during Oceanic play times when Rift is all but deserted) on my level 68 mentored down to say 20 and it takes 2-3 hits to kill something. If I tried to do the same thing on my level 48 it takes 4 or 5 hits mentored to 20. If I try it on my level 32, mentoring to 20 is pretty much just like being 20. Generally though, at the times I usually play I don't mentor down as I'm one of 2 or 3 people (if that) doing the zone event. I saw at least half the Hellbug events fail even when I wasn't mentored simply because I was the only one there.

    Your comment about demounting and lower mount speed when trying to gather low level mats or do Unstable Artifact events shows you don't do these things. Yes it does make a difference. It soon gets frustrating to have to fight your way through everything just to get a node or an artifact.

    The only times these questions of auto-mentoring even come up is during events such as the recent Hellbug one when everyone wants to do the quests. And that is because the events just don't happen often enough so everyone races for the same ones. If Trion upped the frequency of these events mentoring would not be an issue.
    When the world events aren't on most of the time low level zones are deserted and no-one is doing the event.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts