+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Planar Disciples (Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    A lot of Rift's players are what you would call casuals. They do fluff. So no, you are not with everyone else on this, you are with the louder crew that demand raids because you can never have enough raids to satisfy a raider.
    That's a pretty big generalization, but partially true. A lot of people play casually yes, but that ranges from a lot of things from Completionists/Achievement hunters, Artifacts, Dimensioneers, Rare Hunters, Explorers, Mount collectors, Altaholics and even people who just play for social reasons.

Raiders certainly aren't the majority in any game, but they are the ones that drive the rest of the game, including its economy. Rift established itself as a raid centric game and an alternative to something like WoW where it's similar enough, but also very different. They've completely lost that focus with this current expansion and need to get it back on track, but there are hurdles they need to climb over to get there first like finishing class balance and re-organizing their team structures in regard to Live/Prime so that their goals for the future are more clear in regard to what they want to do with the game.

Simon gave us some hints as to what planar disciples are aiming to be, but that's still the tip of the iceberg and we still have very little information to go on. I think it's still too early to jump to conclusions as to whether or not it will be a waste of time, but as has been stated by RR and by the other devs numerous times prior to this thread, this isn't something being handled by the content team as of right now. They're more likely working on finishing up the ahnket story, IGSB and potentially a new raid on top of that. Take that last one with a grain of salt as it has yet to be confirmed.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 09-12-2018 at 11:59 AM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Champion

And by the way MMO does not mean play together literally. It means multiple players online playing the same game at the same time in a persistent world. Playing in a group with others is not a pre-requisite.
    The play by yourself thing in MMO's is more of a new thing than what a lot of older MMO players would consider the norm. In games like EQ, Vanilla WoW, and DAOC it was pretty much impossible to progress your character very far as a solo player.

The games in fact often forced you to group up to do a lot of the quests. In other words, if you were trying to play solo, you were doing it wrong.

You're correct in a literal definition of the acronym, but the intent behind them was always to be a social experience for players.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Skye@Vigil

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

A lot of Rift's players are what you would call casuals. They do fluff. So no, you are not with everyone else on this, you are with the louder crew that demand raids because you can never have enough raids to satisfy a raider.
    While I somewhat agree, you can make enough raids to satisfy a raider. Depending on the raider, it should be 1-3 new raids a year.

Then it depends on the size and quality of the raids, of course. And the systems of the game around the raids, the community of the game, etc. But I tend to not see many complaints when a MMO releases 2-3 (4?) raids with new mechanics, per year.

RIFT will never do that again. But at this point, we can only presume 2018 won't have a raid, so of course you'll be hearing requests and demands. Its a 'duh' scenario.

We waited over 6 months for the first raid that should have been out when the expansion launched. Hell, a big chunk of our guild quit waiting for something to do. Currently we're approaching 12 months without a new raid or any content whatsoever. This game has always been focused on end game and even for casual players like yourself, you can't sit there and tell me you have plenty to do outside of group content.

And by the way MMO does not mean play together literally. It means multiple players online playing the same game at the same time in a persistent world. Playing in a group with others is not a pre-requisite.
    It's quite literally in the name "Massive Multiplayer Online" it's content best played in groups. In a world that's focused on multiplayer it makes no sense to focus on solo play.

There are plenty of RPGs out there that offer a way better solo experience, why would you play an MMO if you're not going to do group content.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

Seriously I don't know what you guys think but planar disciples feels "meh" to me and thinking it's done for giving 20-man'ish feeling on raiding when every person summons that "special pets", game needs other kind of development towards to actual content, so resources (which are limited) shouldn't be wasted on such feature, I hope it won't be another disaster like planar fragments or legendary skills etc.
    Last edited by aileen; 09-12-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60)
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Y'all keep saying that you don't like that resources are being put towards Planar Disciples instead of other things despite A. not really knowing much about them and B. the fact that this isn't taking resources away from raid content having been explained multiple times.

Honestly it feels like the devs are dipping their toes back into communicating more about what's upcoming and this kind of response is going to get us back to radio silence. They're trying to explain and nobody really seems to listen. There was one reply in here about wishing engineering was working on a different engineering thing and sure, I disagree but hey that's at least listening.

Besides all that, we have precious little information on Planar Disciples. We know they're "uber-pets", they're fairly customizable, and they're coming with "Planar Dungeons". That last bit sounds like content to me. Even ignoring the Planar Dungeons bit, without really knowing what the feature is, why complain now? Once we get more information if you're still going "Gee that sounds boring I don't like that!" then that seems like the time to complain. I just don't understand the mentality of complaining about it at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    It's oft said, and I do paraphrase, that Trion could mail people $100 each and some would complain on the forums that it should have been more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyn View Post
    Hey folks,
    Just dropping in a reminder to ensure your posts are on topic, civil and constructive.
    Thanks!

Plane Walker

Don't you think you should first work on the system not vanishing players,npc or having loading times with player cylinders to save on server side resources? Seems like you should try to fix this 8 year old problem before introducing a system that will directly amplify it.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 09-12-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waseem2k View Post
    We waited over 6 months for the first raid that should have been out when the expansion launched. Hell, a big chunk of our guild quit waiting for something to do. Currently we're approaching 12 months without a new raid or any content whatsoever. This game has always been focused on end game and even for casual players like yourself, you can't sit there and tell me you have plenty to do outside of group content.
    I can and will tell you I have plenty to do outside group content. In fact I don't do group content at all in Rift (other than zone events). I had enough of doing that to last me 100 lifetimes in WoW.

It's quite literally in the name "Massive Multiplayer Online" it's content best played in groups. In a world that's focused on multiplayer it makes no sense to focus on solo play.

There are plenty of RPGs out there that offer a way better solo experience, why would you play an MMO if you're not going to do group content.
    I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "literally". While MMO may have come about from games best played in groups that is not the meaning of the term. The meaning is the one I gave...look it up.

Solo play has always been a part of the MMO world even if "back in the day" most content was geared toward groups. People play games for many reasons, the major one being to have fun and relax. For some that means playing dress-ups, for some that means doing really hardcore raids, for some that means killing other players. It's not for you to say that any one way of playing is the "right" way.

I can and will tell you I have plenty to do outside group content. In fact I don't do group content at all in Rift (other than zone events). I had enough of doing that to last me 100 lifetimes in WoW.
    Wardrobes? Dimensions? Chronicles? Puzzle Dungeon? Dailies? Artifacts?

If you have plenty to do why are you here arguing against people wanting content for their own playstyle. People play this game to have fun. Do what makes you happy. You want to play solo, play solo. Don't come here telling us that we are wrong to ask for new content, class balance or bug fixes. No we don't want another stupid gimmick we want actual content.

It's not for you to say that any one way of playing is the "right" way.
    Exactly!
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

Wardrobes? Dimensions? Chronicles? Puzzle Dungeon? Dailies? Artifacts?

If you have plenty to do why are you here arguing against people wanting content for their own playstyle. People play this game to have fun. Do what makes you happy. You want to play solo, play solo. Don't come here telling us that we are wrong to ask for new content, class balance or bug fixes. No we don't want another stupid gimmick we want actual content.

Exactly!

I'm not here arguing against you wanting content, or saying you are wrong to want bug fixes. I am here to say that some of us do want the Planar Disciples thing that you raiders are all ranting against.
    It has been pointed out several times that this new system does not take away from your getting raids, because it involves different people. But here in this thread you and several others have wanted work on the Planar Disciples shut-down so you can get more raids. And then you have the nerve to say those that support the idea are trying to take from you. Hello???

Didn't ask for it, don't want it, and yes, as an economist, when you apply resources to one project you are necessarily taking them away from all others. It's called opportunity cost. I am sure Rift has a budget, and if money is spent on one aspect of the game it simply isn't available for other parts. As such, and especially in a multi-game company such as Trion, all resources (which includes all dev time) are fungible. The argument that it doesn't detract from other development options simply doesn't pass the pub test, as we say down under.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Shadowlander

Default ...

I'm not here arguing against you wanting content, or saying you are wrong to want bug fixes. I am here to say that some of us do want the Planar Disciples thing that you raiders are all ranting against.
    It has been pointed out several times that this new system does not take away from your getting raids, because it involves different people. But here in this thread you and several others have wanted work on the Planar Disciples shut-down so you can get more raids. And then you have the nerve to say those that support the idea are trying to take from you. Hello???

A lot of the problem for this is cause Trion says one thing and does another regardless of what they tell us. They told us that Prime wouldn't take away from Live and they would still be working on up and coming things for us to do and yet we have received NOTHING since Prime has been out and now Live is in nothing but restarts with a few fixes here and there. We tried warning them when Prime came out that this was going to happen and they refused to listen to us and did it anyway.

I do agree that we should probably wait until we have more information before we decide but you have to admit with Trion's track record for this type of stuff it is easy to see and understand where some of the players are coming from

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    Didn't ask for it, don't want it, and yes, as an economist, when you apply resources to one project you are necessarily taking them away from all others. It's called opportunity cost. I am sure Rift has a budget, and if money is spent on one aspect of the game it simply isn't available for other parts. As such, and especially in a multi-game company such as Trion, all resources (which includes all dev time) are fungible. The argument that it doesn't detract from other development options simply doesn't pass the pub test, as we say down under.
    And as an economist you also know what group to cater to the most, if they are the ones spending most money in the game compared to others.
    You don't cater to the 5%, if they are the ones hardly spending money on your product.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    The play by yourself thing in MMO's is more of a new thing than what a lot of older MMO players would consider the norm. In games like EQ, Vanilla WoW, and DAOC it was pretty much impossible to progress your character very far as a solo player.
    I never played EQ, but vanilla WoW and DAOC was perfectly soloable. Groups in DAOC was mainly raids and RvR, and "lair groups" for the last few levels as those took ages. As a Midgard Warrior, I could run around and spank "red/purple con" mobs (axe and board ftw!) with little issues, and it became easier with a few Realm Points. Casters had a harder time due to resistances, but this could be broken too with Realm Points and proper use of CC.

Vanilla WoW was even easier. As Hybrid Priest I saw little challenge anywhere and groups was again used for dungeons or raids. I don't recall ONE SINGLE bit in open world requiring a group, unless you counted that demon boss in Blased Lands.

Nothing was forced on you, but we can agree that a party made a few things easier (mostly downtime in DAOC due to the horrid resting) and it felt more "lively".
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Plane Walker

Smart path for Rift years ago:

1) Continue to be a raid focused game by releasing 1-2 20 mans a year and 1-2 10 mans. Make them like COA with different difficulty modes. Related to this before t2 comes out make t1 easy so lots of people can get into and through that content. The fact that you have people wiping on t1 content when t2 was out is a rift problem not that people dont want to raid.

2) Focus on improving what works rather than trying to recreate itself on the fly. Why not more Volan style events? Why not further develop some features instead of dropping them and moving onto the next big thing and failing at it? Conquest, dynamic content, hunt rifts etc. These were all things that had been created and worked and could be built upon.

3) Put some time energy and effort to keep Rift a pvp useful game. More WF, deepening the development of WF specific specs and even a whole set of different skills/builds for PVP like other games. CQ.

4) Take a long view to developing the game rather than lurching from one short term fix to the game after another. The result was the best MMO of all time gets progressively worse each year. Fragments - lol. The stupid gear sets - lol. The desperate cash shop - lol. Take a look at a game like GW2 that has a vision behind it and you will know what I mean. Literally, every big bet this team has made the last 3 years has been a crushing loss.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast