+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Rift 5.0 expansion

Plane Walker

Default Rift 5.0 expansion

Has there been any update on the next expansion after SFP?
    Going by the previous timelines it should be end of this year?

Xly
    Rift Disciple

There's supposed to be something called "content" (must have something to do with the Prime guild) before that, like ... that raid that's been promised.

Honestly, given the timeline of this expansion I can't see any 5.0 hitting before 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowo View Post
    Has there been any update on the next expansion after SFP?
    Going by the previous timelines it should be end of this year?
    I asked some similar questions for the livestream yesterday: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5361406

It was stated that Amary and Archonix, both producers on Rift weren't in house yesterday, but they will try to organize a stream to answering those specific questions, including information pertaining to any future expansions (though it remains to be seen if they'd actually answer anything about expansions specifically). They also mentioned that some information related to the questions will likely be announced at the upcoming Gamescom so keep your eyes peeled for that too I suppose.

Clowd will likely be publishing some stream notes that I helped contribute to in the next day or two if you don't feel like watching the recap. It was only about 30min long anyway.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 08-04-2018 at 12:12 AM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Hope they have something to show/announce on Gamescom and not going there just for Defiance 2050.
    Ideally a new expansion should announced with a trailer for sometime next year. But because this is just my dreams any new content announcement is welcome at this point

Plane Walker

Considering we're coming up on a year since BoS was released, which was a single room raid with 3 bosses using world mob character skins, you'd hope that they'd have had something cooking.

Prophet of Telara

Rift team is so small that they are barely able to keep servers up, turn on old world events and adjust numbers for Prime.

There won't be any 5.0 expansion unless Scott Hartsman decides to invest some money in Rift.

But I don`t think that's gonna happen. Maybe Rift is just too old.
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

What I think I know:

-There may be an upcoming major raid (and I believe it may be only one) to finish PoA expansion, and it may be 'new'. Whether this means MoM new (which while I've only done IAs of, felt like a mishmash of cool weird new things?) or BoS (partial copypaste), I'm not sure.

-They ward off talk of an expansion version of the game ('5.0') but also don't seem to dissuade it.

I expect 1+ updates (2? 3?) the rest of the year but no 'expansion'. But I won't say I have confidence one way or the other for 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken` View Post
    Rift team is so small that they are barely able to keep servers up, turn on old world events and adjust numbers for Prime.

There won't be any 5.0 expansion unless Scott Hartsman decides to invest some money in Rift.

But I don`t think that's gonna happen. Maybe Rift is just too old.
    Age isn't the problem, lack of investment and lack of will to continue to deliver a quality, fun to play game is.

WoW's latest expansion is launching soon and the base game is nearly 14 years old.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    What I think I know:

-There may be an upcoming major raid (and I believe it may be only one) to finish PoA expansion, and it may be 'new'. Whether this means MoM new (which while I've only done IAs of, felt like a mishmash of cool weird new things?) or BoS (partial copypaste), I'm not sure.

-They ward off talk of an expansion version of the game ('5.0') but also don't seem to dissuade it.

I expect 1+ updates (2? 3?) the rest of the year but no 'expansion'. But I won't say I have confidence one way or the other for 2019.
    There does at least need to be 1 more original raid raid to finish the Carly storyline since the guardian angel was taken into the tower.

I don't think any new or rehashed dungeons are necessary. Most of the player base is well beyond needing to do dungeons at this phase since the content is so stale. I'm mostly done with my 5th eternal weapon.

If there is an expansion I hope it will at least be released with a lon more content than this one was. SFP and it's lack of content has been an utter disaster for this game.
    Last edited by Skiye; 08-04-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    There does at least need to be 1 more original raid raid to finish the Carly storyline since the guardian angel was taken into the tower.

I don't think any new or rehashed dungeons are necessary. Most of the player base is well beyond needing to do dungeons at this phase since the content is so stale. I'm mostly done with my 5th eternal weapon.

If there is an expansion I hope it will at least be released with a lon more content than this one was. SFP and it's lack of content has been an utter disaster for this game.
    (NOTE: I'm a very casual player by this point and not even Lv 70, I just follow this game a lot, though not its little number tweak patches.)

Yes there really should be another original raid. Maybe at most another raid thingy after that, but that's at most.

New dungeons should have happened long ago. At this point I hope a 2019 expansion/ish thing just updates the whole deal to a flexable level system like how SWTOR keeps so much at max level nowadays. And maybe change how normal dungeons work too.
    If you're going to just make 2-4 significant dungeons on even a major update year, don't even bother leaving it at that; let us have variety however possible.
    But really 2 new dungeons was and is ridiculous, and just looking at the zones released, it should have been up to 4-5 (keeping in consideration limited development resources).

I think SFP/POA would have been accepted a lot more if it didn't go for the 'box price' angle (THEY DID NOT FULFILL THE QUALITY STANDARDS FOR THIS) and communicated much better that 4.X will be a more iterative process, starting with main questing... then dungeons and some raids... then raids and more activities... though to 2017+. They didn't, expectations were totally different than what happened, and we got a mess out of what could have been at least neat.
    I mean it has some cool structure to it to be honest. A floating comet that gathered major parts of two planes in it. But even the Comet of Ahnket should have had a dungeon version along with it, not just a NMT Tier 3.5 raid.

A 'realistic sounding dream' 5.0 next year, for me, would include at least a few zones (though perhaps with more room for zone expansions over 2020 and maybe 2021), something to fix up the PvP design and have it viable, a bare minimum 3-4 new dungeons (with room for 1-2+ over 2020), one raid (with another not too long after), and better mentoring/scaling tech/design to keep some playtime variety up. Oh, and a reorganization of the achievement system, and faster and more individual rare mob spawntimes, my pet peeves :P.

I think SFP/POA would have been accepted a lot more if it didn't go for the 'box price' angle...

...A 'realistic sounding dream' 5.0 next year, for me, would include at least a few zones (though perhaps with more room for zone expansions over 2020 and maybe 2021), something to fix up the PvP design and have it viable, a bare minimum 3-4 new dungeons (with room for 1-2+ over 2020), one raid (with another not too long after), and better mentoring/scaling tech/design to keep some playtime variety up. Oh, and a reorganization of the achievement system, and faster and more individual rare mob spawntimes, my pet peeves :P.
    If we're being realistic, I don't believe this to be in the realm of possibility. 4.0 was pushed out as a premium expansion to fund its development. Even with that stimulus, the expansion has been extremely poor. It's also struggled enough that the business model was pivoted yet again. Even if they tried to sell the next expansion like they did 4.0, there are a lot fewer people left to buy it and many of them still feel burned on their investment. Basically, I think that even if they aggressively push for extra funding from the users, it won't really be enough.

I would imagine that they only way the game could have enough of a cash infusion to produce something quality is if Trion footed the bill. But they seem to have their investment sights set elsewhere, what with the purchase of the Gazillion assets and the push to sell an "ecosystem as a service."

In summary, it seems to me that Rift lacks the customer base to fund itself properly and it seems that Trion is focused on an entirely different aspect of the market. As a result, there probably just isn't the money to launch a real expansion. Certainly not one that could do much better than 4.0.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteDonkies View Post
    If we're being realistic, I don't believe this to be in the realm of possibility. 4.0 was pushed out as a premium expansion to fund its development. Even with that stimulus, the expansion has been extremely poor. It's also struggled enough that the business model was pivoted yet again. Even if they tried to sell the next expansion like they did 4.0, there are a lot fewer people left to buy it and many of them still feel burned on their investment. Basically, I think that even if they aggressively push for extra funding from the users, it won't really be enough.

I would imagine that they only way the game could have enough of a cash infusion to produce something quality is if Trion footed the bill. But they seem to have their investment sights set elsewhere, what with the purchase of the Gazillion assets and the push to sell an "ecosystem as a service."

In summary, it seems to me that Rift lacks the customer base to fund itself properly and it seems that Trion is focused on an entirely different aspect of the market. As a result, there probably just isn't the money to launch a real expansion. Certainly not one that could do much better than 4.0.
    Wasn't being realistic. That's why I added 'dream' :P.

It only resonates as realistic to my unrealistic thoughts :P

Truly realistically, the most I predict is up to Into the Wilds/Planetouched Wilds sized things (in terms of open zones, 1 big one or up to a few quite smaller ones) that are technically expansions. A 5.0 may happen but not with such fanfare as before. As in, not a 'real' expansion, but still something that some players can be retained with, and still something that moves the story and development of the game forward for now.

I do not see development stopping this year, and I'm at worst in the middle about development stopping next year. But if development continues, yes I am certain that Trion intends to move past the Celestial Lands, the focus of Ahnket, Lv 70 content, and so on. Its a matter of whether they're going to end up doing what they want, and at what pace.

I think part of the idea of Prime is to have something more frequently share with players while development on Live slows... but not necessarily stops.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 08-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Wasn't being realistic. That's why I added 'dream' :P.

It only resonates as realistic to my unrealistic thoughts :P

Truly realistically, the most I predict is up to Into the Wilds/Planetouched Wilds sized things (in terms of open zones, 1 big one or up to a few quite smaller ones) that are technically expansions. A 5.0 may happen but not with such fanfare as before. As in, not a 'real' expansion, but still something that some players can be retained with, and still something that moves the story and development of the game forward for now.

I do not see development stopping this year, and I'm at worst in the middle about development stopping next year. But if development continues, yes I am certain that Trion intends to move past the Celestial Lands, the focus of Ahnket, Lv 70 content, and so on. Its a matter of whether they're going to end up doing what they want, and at what pace.

I think part of the idea of Prime is to have something more frequently share with players while development on Live slows... but not necessarily stops.
    I'd honestly think it would be a better choice to forgo an expansion altogether. As the game is now, it simply can't support another expansion because that would mean another major stat inflation.Basically, it'd be to the point where even 5-man bosses might be pushing the 2.147B HP cap. Mechanically speaking, I'd prefer to see them try to salvage this expansion.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

Salvaging the current content and making it have best playability would be the better choice for RIFT. The base game is a very good game and so much content gets left unused. Why make more that will have that same feature after 2 weeks launch.

Soulwalker

re-hashing content is part of the exact reason I don't play WoW, and I was sad to see it used when I came back in 4.0.

I've returned to this game so many times, and just gotten bored due to lack of anything to do as well... sure there's some things that are fun, but its nothing like it used to be in the beginning or even the first xpac. I am kinda sad I missed most of the 2nd xpac due to IRL because I feel like I missed out since I liked the game at that point.

I hope there is a 5.0, but it needs to be a SOLID 5.0, there was almost nothing to do at 4.0 endgame and I burned pretty fast, that's really only acceptable in the first iteration not in the 3rd xpac
    Last edited by Sobeit; 08-05-2018 at 08:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast