+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Rift 5.0 expansion

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    As always, this is all pure speculation from me, possibly laced with a large dose of optimism and wishful thinking.
    I want to know what optimism is a codeword for and where I can buy some. There's absolutely nothing to indicate any of the above will happen and plenty that points to piecemeal updates and stagnation. Though you seem to have typo'd 2109 in place of 2019, which makes that part much more believable.

Edit: In the interest of making this a somewhat constructive post I'd like to add that before we get 5.0 I would enjoy seeing the remainder of 4.X including all of the things that were cut due to staff/budgetary reasons. If an expansion is delivered before any of that stuff then development priorities are way out of whack.
    Last edited by MarginalSteve; 08-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.

I am from Scotland so we are bred to be optimists here, though the plentiful supply of the water of life does help too!

Like I said pure speculation (and a bit of fun) - however those of you who have been here since the start will see echoes of the past in the post..

Content pause while infrastructure and platform changes take place (that was 64bit rift)

Long period between expansions, thats what happened with the most recent expansion...

Big change to core system....already been done more than once, e.g. PVP - introduction of conquest, removal of conquest is one example.

Where I am going with this is that any or all or none of the things in my post are possibilities to watch with bated breath for in the months to come.

It was also a tongue in cheek (another oral reference - see what I did there!) nod to the barely hinted at whiteboard a month back...the one with everything stickied over.

Simon/Archonix/Daglar were the ones in the past to do "oops we left the whiteboard uncovered" moments and I suspect this time it may be similar and to expect something from Amary between now and beginning of Q4...

Anyway in order for any of the things we all want to see happening to actually happen there needs to be active (and paying) playerbase to warrant it and my biggest fear is that it is all a bit too late now for Rift (Live or Prime) and that the announcements at Gamescom will be about some kind of Rift related offshoot project...after all everyone else has a card game and a battle royale mode now so perhaps it's Rifts turn?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Considering that subscriptions were starting to tank during Storm Legion (just prior to the F2P change) and that most games are going that route, it's honestly one of the better systems to use if done well and staying away from P2W which I won't get into as there are plenty of other threads (past and present) for that debate. I'm interested in seeing the store cleanup for live whenever that comes.

F2P makes up the bulk of the population and all of those people got pushed out when they tried out B2P for this expansion. It was something at lot of people asked for during Nightmare Tide, but it didn't work out too well. I don't see them going back to that or subscription going forward as that's partly why Prime exists in the first place to fill that niche without pushing anyone out of the main version of the game. Even blizzard has been taking small steps in allowing their players to play for free through their token system and have been testing micro transactions for other games like D3 in other countries. Not quite the same as F2P per se of course.
    There is one important distinction between allowing players to play for free and what Blizzard is doing with WoW's token system: money. Every active WoW subscription puts money in Blizzard's pockets, whether a player shells out $15 a month themselves or convinces someone else to do it for them via a token. Failure to maintain this payment doesn't just lose them some perks like Rift's Patron status - they cannot access the account at all. Blizzard isn't allowing free access to their game, they're just selling gift certificates. It's not only "not quite the same as F2P per se," there is nothing F2P about it.

Plane Walker

So we have Rift which was sub model, then jumped to f2p w option to keep subscribing, then rift w that and a p2w store, then Rift w a split between a world w those options that is poorly (at best) maintained and a world with a sub model which is so so maintained.

As with everything Rift has done strategically, the logic and execution escape me.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Champion

in order for the team to actually be able to do anything worth playing for rift they would need a major team overhaul.

from there they would need to invest some serious time, effort, money into focusing on fixing real problems and gain back players(if this is even still possible) and from there work on finding a better non-pay to win concept to gain new subscribers/players to keep the game alive.

currently, it is brutally expensive to do any of this.

fingers crossed they can do something. and soon. or we may lose Rift altogether.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Considering that subscriptions were starting to tank during Storm Legion (just prior to the F2P change) and that most games are going that route, it's honestly one of the better systems to use if done well and staying away from P2W which I won't get into as there are plenty of other threads (past and present) for that debate. I'm interested in seeing the store cleanup for live whenever that comes.

F2P makes up the bulk of the population and all of those people got pushed out when they tried out B2P for this expansion. It was something at lot of people asked for during Nightmare Tide, but it didn't work out too well. I don't see them going back to that or subscription going forward as that's partly why Prime exists in the first place to fill that niche without pushing anyone out of the main version of the game. Even blizzard has been taking small steps in allowing their players to play for free through their token system and have been testing micro transactions for other games like D3 in other countries. Not quite the same as F2P per se of course.
    Uhm, I'm pretty sure it went f2p before Storm Legion came out and subs were already tanking at that point.

I didn't much care for the f2p change due to the near inevitability of p2w but the thing that really killed the game for me was dumbing everything down, primarily so the group finder sort of worked. I've come back and re-subbed a couple times with the different expansions but I always leave again because of some brain-dead decision by the devs that shows they really don't care about what players think, just what is easiest for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bri bates View Post
    Uhm, I'm pretty sure it went f2p before Storm Legion came out and subs were already tanking at that point.
    Storm Legion came out November 2012. It went F2P in patch 2.3 June 2013.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 08-11-2018 at 07:56 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    Expac should be free too. They burned us really bad on the last one and I cant imagine many people paying - especially paying up front - like they did last time.
    I disagree, it shouldn't be free - it should cost Trion. Here's what I'd suggest to them:
    • Players that played in SFP only after it went F2P and log on during the first week of 5.0 will get an exclusive, one-time Mulchy Pustule of Deeps' Shenanigans, featuring each of the unique items from the beloved NPC as premium dimension items!
    • Players that did not pre-order SFP but bought it while it was still B2P and log on during the first week of 5.0 will get an exclusive, one-time Mulchy Pustule of Deeps' Shenanigans, a $29.00 refund and a suffix title, "Believer".
    • Players that pre-ordered SFP and log on during the first week of 5.0 will get an exclusive, one-time Mulchy Pustule of Deeps' Shenanigans, a $49.00 refund, a suffix title "Believer", and a prefix title, "Blind".
    Last edited by Perisemiotics; 08-13-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Xarhuli@Greybriar

Champion

well if they REALLY need to they could easily pull off what PATH OF EXILE does.

*release of content as seasons/leagues whatever they want to call it ( similar to events but they last longer and offer season only special gear/rewards/skins and spell effect skins. when that season ends and another begins you will get the chance to be able to go back and complete any previous season

** one thing trion hasn't done YET. is to spice up the looks of various "LEGENDARY" and commonly used abilities with a change of looks(spell effect skins)

***offer guild events and challenges during those specific seasons

*** offer planar based skin effects for all planar abilities ... especially the rift summons and teleporters.

i know rift offers a bunch of smaller wardrobe bundles. but how about larger bundles based on : UNCOLLECTED wardrobe items(so this one pieces together everything you haven't collected for wardrobe items and tosses them together conveniently with the appropriate price (either $$$ or gems). then also have packs provided as per how the wardrobe are grouped such as storm legion , events etc.

who knows maybe they are already working on something like this and will surprise the hell out of us.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sofeorus View Post
    well if they REALLY need to they could easily pull off what PATH OF EXILE does.

*release of content as seasons/leagues whatever they want to call it ( similar to events but they last longer and offer season only special gear/rewards/skins and spell effect skins. when that season ends and another begins you will get the chance to be able to go back and complete any previous season

** one thing trion hasn't done YET. is to spice up the looks of various "LEGENDARY" and commonly used abilities with a change of looks(spell effect skins)

***offer guild events and challenges during those specific seasons

*** offer planar based skin effects for all planar abilities ... especially the rift summons and teleporters.

i know rift offers a bunch of smaller wardrobe bundles. but how about larger bundles based on : UNCOLLECTED wardrobe items(so this one pieces together everything you haven't collected for wardrobe items and tosses them together conveniently with the appropriate price (either $$$ or gems). then also have packs provided as per how the wardrobe are grouped such as storm legion , events etc.

who knows maybe they are already working on something like this and will surprise the hell out of us.
    If trion wanted to catch my attention with the games soul tree system, the attention-getter would be quite simple: legendaries for every ability in the soul tree.

That would mean every passive and active abilities, buffs, utility - everything. Would it take forever for the team to implement? Oh yes, there's thousands of those little icons that modify, add, enhance gameplay abilities.

For example, on shaman, in the root...

- An 'Avalanche Strike' legendary could be "Deals X to Y Water damage to up to 5 enemies around the cleric".
    - 'Lightning Hammer's' DOT legendary could be "Lightning can be spread by using Avalanche Strike"

In the tree...

- 'Thick skinned' could have a legendary that increases damage done by 5%.
    - 'Rage of the north' legendary could be: "Adds 20 stacks of ROTN. Increases critical hit chance by 5% per stack. Each critical hit reduces the stack by 1."

Does what i listed sound OP? Yeah, but we all said the same on previous expansions.

I've personally never been a fan of the games Masteries on the right side, but those could do a revamp at some point.
    --BC

General of Telara

There are lots of wonderful ideas on this thread from people who clearly care a lot. Sadly guys I don't think there is going to be another expansion.
    Trion management decided a while ago that Rift Live isn't a priority game any more.

We are in maintenance mode.

Not a single character in the lore of this expansion has been dealt with. The dark elf queen, the fire lady, ahnket and erugh... Crucia. We are at that stage in most expansions in wow where there should be loads of content to come to deal with all these characters but 2 years in almost we have not had any content for close to half of that period.

Trion Management doesn't believe in RIFT LIVE anymore and would prefer to focus on their golden calf Trove and their publishing thing. We aren't getting anything guys... I am sorry
    Last edited by Balidin; 08-17-2018 at 04:07 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    There are lots of wonderful ideas on this thread from people who clearly care a lot. Sadly guys I don't think there is going to be another expansion.
    Trion management decided a while ago that Rift Live isn't a priority game any more.

We are in maintenance mode.

Not a single character in the lore of this expansion has been dealt with. The dark elf queen, the fire lady, ahnket and erugh... Crucia. We are at that stage in most expansions in wow where there should be loads of content to come to deal with all these characters but 2 years in almost we have not had any content for close to half of that period.

Trion Management doesn't believe in RIFT LIVE anymore and would prefer to focus on their golden calf Trove and their publishing thing. We aren't getting anything guys... I am sorry
    Sadly true. For the first time in my Rift career, I am not a patron and havent logged in in a week. I am playing GW2 w some guildies and finding it lots of fun. It makes me appreciate every day how far the game I loved for so long has fallen.

I saw you posted about Pantheon the other day Bal. We are waiting for that as well.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    What I think I know:

-There may be an upcoming major raid (and I believe it may be only one) to finish PoA expansion, and it may be 'new'. Whether this means MoM new (which while I've only done IAs of, felt like a mishmash of cool weird new things?) or BoS (partial copypaste), I'm not sure.

-They ward off talk of an expansion version of the game ('5.0') but also don't seem to dissuade it.

I expect 1+ updates (2? 3?) the rest of the year but no 'expansion'. But I won't say I have confidence one way or the other for 2019.
    Everquest is 20 years old and still gets an expansion every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanthos View Post
    Everquest is 20 years old and still gets an expansion every year.
    ..okay? Yes. Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    Sadly true. For the first time in my Rift career, I am not a patron and havent logged in in a week. I am playing GW2 w some guildies and finding it lots of fun. It makes me appreciate every day how far the game I loved for so long has fallen.

I saw you posted about Pantheon the other day Bal. We are waiting for that as well.
    I have to agree, I am so bored with Rift that even though I have 4 months patron, it will just sit as I go back to my other game and play, living world story 3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast