+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: I miss RIFT, the former AAA Game.

Post I miss RIFT, the former AAA Game.

I quit playing a couple months after Anket came out. Most of our guild did too. I tried to hang on but the fragments were what did it in. I saw in a post about how 'they' wanted a place for people to spend their plat..I don't care about plat and only have enough to cover costs. It pissed me off having a plat sink and the cost to upgrade them. I wasn't about to spent the amount of time needed get that plat.

But I do check in every now and then to see if anything is different. See what the population is like and the only thing I can say is it's sad.

I feel like TRION had what was an awesome AAA game and screwed it all up. Spreading themselves thin with other games and bad decisions.

I get pissed off when I think about the hours spent playing this game, meeting great people and you jerk us around with Leathys quality of greed.

I feel TRION did the opposite of what was needed to grow the game. Possibly as profits dropped they pulled back to save money, let go of devs etc.. when they should have re-invested in the game heavily. Create new content to bring people in.

Like a previous post, it hurts to think that RIFT is in maintenance mode or close to it. It can be turned around with a massive and AAA new expansion. As bug free as possible. No re-hashes of old content. Exciting story line. I think of something like Volan level.. that was fun. I don't even care if they steal idea from WoW at this point. I don't want RIFT to die..

/end rant

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberrwocky View Post
    Like a previous post, it hurts to think that RIFT is in maintenance mode or close to it. It can be turned around with a massive and AAA new expansion. As bug free as possible. No re-hashes of old content. Exciting story line. I think of something like Volan level.. that was fun. I don't even care if they steal idea from WoW at this point. I don't want RIFT to die..
    /end rant
    I agree, but it is wishful thinking. Even when they have a proper chance to redeem themselves, such as with Rift Prime, Trion isn't committing the resources to it to give it even a faint chance of having any lasting success. After just a few months, they've managed to drive off most of their subscribers. That means they've already gotten the bulk of the profits Prime will be able to yield. Despite having the cash infusion, they don't seem to be stepping up on production. Nor do they seem to have any plans to do so. They've played their trump card and it doesn't seem to have done any good for the livelihood of Rift. With that in mind, its hard to imagine that this is anything other than the end.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

Ya, I even subbed to Prime for 2 months. The leveling was horrible and it wasn't what it used to be. I guess I was expecting that polished version from previous.

I know they can do it but it's a willingness at this point.

Rift Chaser

You and me both. *sighs*

Between this and the Mass Effect franchise, it's kindof depressing in the gaming side of things right now, as far as I'm concerned.

The only feasible solution in both cases is for some major investor (be it Amazon or someone else) to buy Rift/Mass Effect and then give it the loving attention/money it so intensely deserves. Do I think it's going to happen? No.

Rift is already way down the long tail of it's existence. Maybe Trion is happy with a few hundred (or whatever) active players, but the game nowadays could have been so so much more.

This game really peaked with Storm Legion. 2.3 to 2.7 was one of the best gaming experiences of my life, and I've been gaming for over 20 years. The first signs of the "high" being over were already there at the late SL patches though, for those who knew what to look for. With NT it became quite clear that the SL level of content, quality and population was a thing of the past. Since then, things have only gone further in that direction.

I still check these forums every once in a while to get an idea of the state of this game that was once my favourite, but what I find never gives me a reason for optimism (and as you might guess from my post count, I'm experienced enough to look beyond basic forum negativity).

I'm not sure Trion is to blame for all of this, though. In the end, RIFT just never quite got the popularity that it, in my opinion, deserved. Many changes especially in the cash shop and monetization area were probably need, rather than greed, because with its generous model and limited population it just didn't have enough income. We won't know for sure because Trion was never very open about the state of the game, financial or other.

But the truth is that they do not the man power for it and everyone giving them props needs to let that sink in.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Shadowlander

Suppose for Rift one of the big "problem" is DESIGN.

-Areas/architecture/locations design - often its feels very corridoric /not open and small/sometimes -very boring landscape with agressive, unbalanced colors(of course some areas is good-mostly in Mathosia and Storm Legion locations, in NT -areas has nice structure only -but design is very corridoric for me)
    Personally i think what locations "from other worlds" should be more strange, mysterious with unpredictable "nature surprises" - ex. -areas -Heart of Darkness, the Unknown

-monsters/npcs/players/interface(its just flashy)/souls design- .... sometimes i was thinking what i play in Narnia Chronicles with cyborgs, Dynorobots and walking refrigerators .
    Many souls feels very "artificial"/lack of identity - mb some players don't care about it, but many players still looks for something iconic/authentical - like 'normal" druid with animals compamion/ animal or treants form , many buffs etc., "normal" shaman(no comments), "normal" reaver(antipaladin), "normal" berserker etc. + some souls are pretty similar or just strange(we have dude who can heal with vacuum cleaner, but we could call it "originality"...).
    Anyway, sorry for my bad english. It's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Vorch22; 06-20-2018 at 03:33 AM.

I think every player should make a rant post about the decline of Rift, and what they expect to change, because clearly your voice matters.

Sarcasm over.

Just let it go already, Rift has got to the point where the coding will be a complete mess. You can only imagine the headache this is causing for old and new devs approaching this for the first time. I mean they're taking months atm to attempt to tidy it a little, but all that came out of that was some changes to buff categorising and some number changes to Warrior. You really going to believe that is a big change? They're now taking another few months to change some numbers on legendary abilities, it's desperate.

It's on a slow decline to maintenance (if not already). May aswell shrug your shoulders and potentially wait for the last raid to finalise Comet of Ankhet when both live and prime combine. But considering Icarus has left we may not even get to that point (he obviously was working on Prime as well). They will likely pull a dev from another game of theirs, whos previously worked on Rift to help Prime see it's end. Either way we're talking a year or 2, because Prime will now be going sllloww.

There were plenty of hints from the Dev team about doing some kind of finale ending to Prime. That clearly suggested if they were still not making great profit, this is where they would end Rift, when Prime and Live finishes. Of course if they're going to create a final raid this will keep the game going for about 6 months or more, then a final event would finish it off.

This means there's at least 3 years still left in Rift, so I doubt it's going to be shut off any time soon unless Prime flops as well. Just expect live to be there for the hardcore fans to finish achievements, play pvp, puzzles etc. etc. but little else. By then you will see cross AH (that will more or less make a combined server) and someone slowly cleaning the coding, fixing bugs (as this would benefit Prime too), adding the odd shop item etc.
    Last edited by Refuge; 06-19-2018 at 01:52 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberrwocky View Post
    But I do check in every now and then to see if anything is different. See what the population is like ....

I feel like TRION had what was an awesome AAA game and screwed it all up. Spreading themselves thin with other games and bad decisions.

I get pissed off when I think about the hours spent playing this game, meeting great people and you jerk us around with Leathys quality of greed.
    I don't want RIFT to die..

Just thought to poke my head in here a min. to see what's up. Wow, just wow...was really hoping like many here, that after all this time they would have corrected course.

I too have loved this game for years and really tried to stick it out, but after seeing it all go downhill, guild all quit, I finally walked away so disappointed & pissed last Oct. and haven't even logged in or visited the forums for many month since. I simply do not understand how they could destroy such a once awesome game.<hangs head and sulks away>

I miss RIFT, the former AAA Game.-2chuiu.jpg

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Colossus

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    I think every player should make a rant post about the decline of Rift, and what they expect to change, because clearly your voice matters.

Sarcasm over.

Just let it go already, Rift has got to the point where the coding will be a complete mess. You can only imagine the headache this is causing for old and new devs approaching this for the first time. I mean they're taking months atm to attempt to tidy it a little, but all that came out of that was some changes to buff categorising and some number changes to Warrior. You really going to believe that is a big change? They're now taking another few months to change some numbers on legendary abilities, it's desperate.

It's on a slow decline to maintenance (if not already). May aswell shrug your shoulders and potentially wait for the last raid to finalise Comet of Ankhet when both live and prime combine. But considering Icarus has left we may not even get to that point (he obviously was working on Prime as well). They will likely pull a dev from another game of theirs, whos previously worked on Rift to help Prime see it's end. Either way we're talking a year or 2, because Prime will now be going sllloww.

There were plenty of hints from the Dev team about doing some kind of finale ending to Prime. That clearly suggested if they were still not making great profit, this is where they would end Rift, when Prime and Live finishes. Of course if they're going to create a final raid this will keep the game going for about 6 months or more, then a final event would finish it off.

This means there's at least 3 years still left in Rift, so I doubt it's going to be shut off any time soon unless Prime flops as well. Just expect live to be there for the hardcore fans to finish achievements, play pvp, puzzles etc. etc. but little else. By then you will see cross AH (that will more or less make a combined server) and someone slowly cleaning the coding, fixing bugs (as this would benefit Prime too), adding the odd shop item etc.
    3 years? This can't be earthen years must be like mercurian years. Prime is dead only like 1 raid group happening, already all guilds except few quit even ones like Coriolis.

So I do not think RIFT has more than 6 months for being alive unless they make something very new, adding ember isle won't increase prime population to the even a month before numbers.

I want to be optimistic but we must accept there is no one happy with state of game except dimensioneers.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Rift Chaser

Default Darcleros I miss you in the forums- but it is unchanged

Hey buddy- imagine my surprise to see you post something. Yes- things are not what they were- and still things are not fixed. Nice to see a brief glimpse of a familiar face. Cheers!
    Last edited by Andracleric; 06-19-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post

Sarcasm over.

I'd almost be fine with this.
    Classic covered Death, Storm Legion covered Air, Nightmare Tide covered Water, Prophecy of Ahnket is I guess covering Fire and Life, so just do updates/an expansion for Earth + Finale. Sure we wouldn't be delving into some of the Planes, but I'd accept that if a sequel is in the cards (even if not as MMORPG as this one).

Keep it updated (systems refinements/additions/testing and maintenance rather than major content) for a few years after, then pure maintenance. RIFT surviving into the 2020s will be enough of a success IMO.

Through this time, work on a sequel to release 2020s and use RIFT's last updates to practice design for it.

Tis my dream at least. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    3 years? This can't be earthen years must be like mercurian years. Prime is dead only like 1 raid group happening, already all guilds except few quit even ones like Coriolis.

So I do not think RIFT has more than 6 months for being alive unless they make something very new, adding ember isle won't increase prime population to the even a month before numbers.

I want to be optimistic but we must accept there is no one happy with state of game except dimensioneers.
    I didn't know Prime was in such a sorry state of affairs. I've not been playing it, but you're the 2nd person in 2 days who's said Prime is basically dead.

Kinda predictable. If that's the case, then they may close early. If there's seriously only a couple of raids running then I don't even think they can squeeze the next few expansions out on a slower schedule with the remaining Devs. Just wouldn't be worth it.
    Last edited by Refuge; 06-20-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Can you not see, Prime is just a cheap to do crumb of recycled old content to keep players paying their subs, because Trion is no longer able to do a real expansion anymore.

The good days for Rift will never return. This is a great pity.
    Last edited by Captain Kremmen; 06-20-2018 at 07:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast