+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 4.5 release date and PTS update?

Default 4.5 release date and PTS update?

After another hotfix that consisted of nothing but new premium items for the store, could you please tell us the plan? Are you saving all the balance tweaks, P2W removal and new content for patch 4.5? If yes, can we please have a release date and a PTS update with the balance changes at least, so players can properly test them for a few weeks?

Communication is key and putting new premium items up without any new content or at least information about new content is just putting salt in the already wide open wounds.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 550+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    After another hotfix that consisted of nothing but new premium items for the store, could you please tell us the plan? Are you saving all the balance tweaks, P2W removal and new content for patch 4.5? If yes, can we please have a release date and a PTS update with the balance changes at least, so players can properly test them for a few weeks?

Communication is key and putting new premium items up without any new content or at least information about new content is just putting salt in the already wide open wounds.
    they cannot afford to communicate, we are too prone to high expectations and reacting by rage quitting the franchise if they don't hold up to them

on the other hand not communicating is hurting them just as much as poor employment practices are causing those communications to fall short

Default balance vs player retention

I agree with what Seshatar is saying here, it echoes what a good proportion of the players are saying in these and other fora.

Balance is a good thing...but you need to make sure there is something at the end of it to retain your playerbase or you will continue to see dwindling numbers of players as they move to other titles with exciting shiny new content.

I think everyone understands the difficulty that the RIFT team has right now in terms of managing everyone's expectations but the key to doing that is by communication - and that should start right here in these forums...

I think a reasonable balance would have been to let players know that yes you are focusing on a particular section of gameplay at present because of limited resources, but that you are doing something about that limited resource so that post summerfest we can expect some shiny new content to make sure you RETAIN a viable playerbase...otherwise the risk is that your PRIME and LIVE patrons will all be away playing shiny new content from other developers and not lining your coffers with gold and platinum, I mean dollars or euros or etc.

Time is your most valuable commodity right now and making sure you take the time to reassure your players is an investment in the right place.
    Last edited by AtoningUnifex; 06-12-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Soulwalker

I just cancelled my subscription. If I'm not getting anything different than those playing for free, then why bother.

I guess I will just muck around until Ashes of Creation gets here and see if it's TNBT.

Rift Disciple

Default you know they won't

You already know that they are not going to communicate their plan going forward. Anyone who reads the forums regularly knows it. Do they even have a plan, per se? Other than cash shop fluff and Summerfest? I honestly don't know, but I DO know they will not be announcing it in any concrete or clear way. You should know it too by now.
    Deepwood- Linn, Mina, Mordana, Nif, Sif
    Vigil- Linn, Nif, Mena

Plane Walker

Plan seems to be:

1) As player base drops on live due to lack of content, poor balance, weird grinds, and a p2w shop that actually provoked such a player and (beyond that) gaming community backlash that the company had to apologize and pull some of the worst things from it, there is a need for more cash flow as more and more people quit.

2) Since there are not enough people working on rift to grow it and not even enough to maintain it, someone had the idea (yeah this would work for all trion games and we can tell them we are responding to demand) to rerelease old content which people loved! Rift prime etc are born.

3) It should be so easy to just rerelease, get people excited for a year, all our former players will come back and pay for a full year of patron. Those burned who bought the last expac might even renew. We can sell this as accelerated timeline, make it sound awesome to raiders, etc.

4) Oops, we dont actually have that Rift anymore, the souls pre level increases are gone, and well we arent even sure we can get them balanced. Oops. Hmm. Well at least we have all this raid content we can put up! Oh no, it requires a lot of work too. It might take us 6 months to even get to RoS when people were raiding it a few months after vanilla release. Hammerknell (my favorite raid ever in any game tbh) well jeez we really mucked that up rereleasing it for higher levels and now its going to be so much work to readjust it back down we might not even do it.

5) Someone said something about live servers? We still have those? Great lets add some things to the shop...

Convince me I am wrong...

PS - there are some really awesome things in Prime. I am not sure they would work great in a main MMO if i were playing. The individual loot system is nice, the IRC that you earn (zone events, weekly etc) make sense, and the zone mentoring is nice and makes older content worth going back to. If it were in a main MMO, I question whether it would be worth that loot system cause its makes guilds pretty irrelevant. Pretty much everyone pugs and the small size of the server (at least raiders) means you get to know a ton of people quickly this way. Not my thing for the long term - but it seems to work well in prime.
    Last edited by dundare; 06-13-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

BMX
    Plane Walker

This seems to be all too common.

There was supposed "class balance" that was nothing short of a nerf-a-thon that helped nobody in their progression. What was needed was to buff a couple classes as opposed to nerf em into the dirt. This move is and was a slap in the face of the community.

Minimal communication is the norm as the decision makers flip flop on direction that if we heard about it, some would chastise the devs for it. The devs do not make the decisions and it hurts them when anything gets blown off and the community responds on the forum.
    Do the current dev team members need more hands on deck, I do believe they do! Too much neglect and the lack of content delivery is forensic evidence that supports the fact that the devs are stretched too thin to maintain Live and Prime simultaneously. Upper management should be able to see this and augment the team with the hands necessary for this franchise to shine as it should.

Dundare said it like it is...

Those of us still active and holding on are passionate about this game and its current state is not becoming the franchise.
    Last edited by BMX; 06-14-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    Upper management should be able to see this and augment the team with the hands necessary for this franchise to shine as it should.
    I'm pretty sure they see this. They just think that their money is better spent elsewhere.
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken` View Post
    I'm pretty sure they see this. They just think that their money is better spent elsewhere.
    Yep. I believe they could easily hire more staff but they chose not too. The management at Trion decided that Rift live is not a priority and turned their backs on the game that built them.

Trion has a poor reputation with the general gaming community for a reason.

At the beginning of Rift, we get major patch every 1 or 2 months and major patch were huge in content

Now we get major patch every 4-6 months with no content on theses patchs (hello 4.4 whith no content).

4.5 don't seems to be ready but something is certain: if 4.5 have no content (for live), Trion have to communicate weel because after a major patch with no content, and after a dev letter with no content annonced, it will be difficult to find a reason to play Rift (and pay a patron pass) if nothing hudge were annonced...

We need an extension as hudge as Storm Legion to forgive the last year with no new content. (And we need this quickly)
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

Rift Disciple

Default Rift was a large AAA mmo. It isn't now

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryle View Post
    At the beginning of Rift, we get major patch every 1 or 2 months and major patch were huge in content

Now we get major patch every 4-6 months with no content on theses patchs (hello 4.4 whith no content).

4.5 don't seems to be ready but something is certain: if 4.5 have no content (for live), Trion have to communicate weel because after a major patch with no content, and after a dev letter with no content annonced, it will be difficult to find a reason to play Rift (and pay a patron pass) if nothing hudge were annonced...

We need an extension as hudge as Storm Legion to forgive the last year with no new content. (And we need this quickly)
    I posted this in another thread also. I think long-time player perception is partly to blame. They are used to viewing Rift as a large AAA mmo. It WAS that once. But it isn't now. Now it is a small F2P game like many others. It fits right in in those lists of "50 best free mmos". You have to play it like one: don't expect much from limited dev hours, most dev attention will be to cash shop, when you find a bug it won't be fixed, just shrug and say "meh, it's free". This adjustment in attitude will save you some irritation.
    Last edited by Innomorata; 06-14-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Deepwood- Linn, Mina, Mordana, Nif, Sif
    Vigil- Linn, Nif, Mena

Telaran

I'm highly concerned that at this point, they've dug themselves into a hole with no easy way out. For all intents and purposes, unless information is actually communicated, the community is free to think whatever it wants in terms of what's going on behind the scenes (if anything is).

That being said, what appears to be a current approach of "If we just don't say anything for now, we can prolong the inevitable discomfort" is a bad one. There looks to really be only two options going forward. Not dictating what to do to the devs or anything, I'm just stating my 2 cents on what appear to be the objective facts surrounding RIFT at the moment.

- Telling the community now or very soon exactly what is and is not in the works or ready to go. If there's nothing coming or prepped for the near future, say it, BUT immediately start doing something to change that. Hire more staff, apologize, do some ritualistic chants, whatever, just something as a means of sincerely changing. It sure as hell won't be pleasant for a while, but in the long-run there's the chance of things going back to the way they used to be
    OR
    - Continuing on the current path. Communication is kept to a minimum to avoid backlash. As a result, people keep drifting away. Some meager content or balance updates might pop up once in a blue moon (coming up on almost a year since Live got content). Sure there's already sizable negativity, but oh man. If you think it's bad now, you're not gonna like that point in the future.

Again, I don't write this to "tell the devs how to do their job" or "dictate terms to the decision-makers." I write this as somebody who fell in love with this game years ago. I've been through all this before with other games, eventually closing their doors from developer abandonment and what they perceived to be a lack of player interest in the game (though it was all due to no content). I was too young to contribute to any discussions like this about those games then, but as somebody deeply concerned about the future of RIFT, I see it as a responsibility of the community to help work with developers to get this thing back on track. If mistakes or poor choices are made, it's our job to hold those who made them accountable, as unpleasant as it may be to be on the receiving end. If you can come out of it having heard the feedback, and being able to communicate that better, then it'll all be better and worth it in the long run. At the same time, if we are needed to test stuff out, so be it. The community cannot just sit around complaining about how it can't be done for them like in the past or other games.

If I get in some kind of trouble for saying all this, so be it. At least I can continue on knowing I was able to try this time.
    Last edited by Yaros the Hawk; 06-14-2018 at 07:08 PM.

So Rift team is currently focusing on balance, class stuff but what is next ? What we see afterwards ? New xpac, raid, dungeon or gonna do the same stuff again ?

I just like to see some communication from Rift Team. Seems like we are wasting our precious time. It's a shame, huge disappointment.

What I see is emptiness, Fake Smiles, Fake plans.

I dont really think trion have no idea about Rift Future. They dont care it like we do. I love this game I enjoy playing but without fresh things just boring.

You guys are always saying we have a small team and blah blah. Okay I can understand that but you guys are not communicating with your player base. Not caring their thoughts and expectation from you.

If this keeps up I cant imagine what will happen. Whatever...

That's are my opinions about this game atm.

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Last Dawn

Rift Disciple

Honestly, I have no idea what they’re thinking. Maybe, they really don’t want to announce anything, because of WoW this summer. Or they are closing RIFT down. <shrugs>

Whatever their reason is, we’re better off playing other games. PoA was an disappointment, it’s not even an expansion. They hardly mention anything about its future.

It may be hard to move on to other games, but I think you should.
    Nereius@Faeblight

Red face

What I expect from 4.5:
    New chronicle
    Real new PvP map
    New PvP gear set
    New expert dungeon(s)
    Reconsedering fragments system
    Return of Android/IOS App (Bug free )
    More minion slots
    These are the least you can do about a great game like rift ;)
    Anksata@zaviel
    Warrior Forever <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast