+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: About Rift Prime, interesting, but...

Default About Rift Prime, interesting, but...

I was hoping there would be a game or server the way things are setup in Prime. But there one thing was missing the most, world pvp. I remember mention something few years back to devs that on Seastone need to be locked, no shard hop or transfer there or from seastone. Also would disabled instant adventure as well.

So that didn't kick in or they didn't pay any attention when I mention it. It look like Prime would be great setup, but no world pvp in there. Glad I took the 7 days free trial instead of buying that 29.99 package, otherwise I would have been pissed.

Also noticed that the server and only server believe it was vigil something, but it has pve written on it and I figured it is not going to be what I am looking for.

My question is, are they going to add pvp server to prime or not?

This first iteration of prime is mainly going to be PvE focused which they were very up front about before it launched. It has warfronts available, but since the plan was to have accelerated content (which may be a contributing reason why there's not much pvp focus) you probably won't be spending large amounts of time at each level cap for any real pvp progression.

That being said, they have discussed the possibility of the next Prime (after this first one ends) being pvp focused with a free for all open world PvP setting. The only people you wouldn't be allowed to kill are your own guild members, but guilds would be capped at 5 people. Note: This does not mean it will happen, it's just an idea they were kicking around.

This is all assuming that Prime lasts as long as it was intended to. This is their first time doing it and is essentially a play test server while they iron out all of the wrinkles and try new things.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    This first iteration of prime is mainly going to be PvE focused which they were very up front about before it launched. It has warfronts available, but since the plan was to have accelerated content (which may be a contributing reason why there's not much pvp focus) you probably won't be spending large amounts of time at each level cap for any real pvp progression.

That being said, they have discussed the possibility of the next Prime (after this first one ends) being pvp focused with a free for all open world PvP setting. The only people you wouldn't be allowed to kill are your own guild members, but guilds would be capped at 5 people. Note: This does not mean it will happen, it's just an idea they were kicking around.
    Did you seriously believe this?
    This is all assuming that Prime lasts as long as it was intended to. This is their first time doing it and is essentially a play test server while they iron out all of the wrinkles and try new things.
    Did you seriously believe this at all?
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Did you seriously believe this at all?
    Believe what specifically? Only relaying what they stated. As for what actually happened or what will happen is another thing and remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 06-08-2018 at 01:48 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Believe what specifically? Only relaying what they stated. As for what actually happened or what will happen is another thing and remains to be seen.
    That being said, they have discussed the possibility of the next Prime (after this first one ends) being pvp focused with a free for all open world PvP setting

RIFT will never be pvp centric again, original vanilla content was like Faction vs Faction vs Cultists like warfronts Port Scion but after some time PvP lost all interest between development nothing more than a side feature needed to do be more efficient on PvE like essences, CQ power etc.

So no matter what RIFT will never be pvp centric again, and I do not believe we will receive good iteration of prime or even live with current state of development when management positions almost equal to team size.

So once again did you really believe? I'm starting to not believe those empty words anymore.

Prophet of Telara

but since the plan was to have accelerated content (which may be a contributing reason why there's not much pvp focus) you probably won't be spending large amounts of time at each level cap for any real pvp progression.
    River of Souls was released on vanilla faster than on Prime. So much for accelerated content...

Prime is a failure just like almost anything Trion has done since 4.0.
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

Discussed and Possibility are the 2 key words there. If they had said it'll for sure happen, then I'd say I probably don't believe it for the reasons below.

RIFT will never be pvp centric again, original vanilla content was like Faction vs Faction vs Cultists like warfronts Port Scion but after some time PvP lost all interest between development nothing more than a side feature needed to do be more efficient on PvE like essences, CQ power etc.
    Rift was never PvP centric to begin with all in fairness. It was there and it was okay for maybe the first year when PvP shards were still a thing and the open world aspect (pvp rifts) were a fun thing, but it wasn't something they could ever manage to balance well and frankly there aren't too many games that do unless they're specifically built from the ground up with PvP in mind. People have fond memories of prestige ranks/gear, but even that was difficult to balance as once you reached whatever the cap was at the time, you would completely steamroll people without any effort which forced a lot of people out of warfronts. It took a lot of work and skill to get up to that point so the gear should be pretty strong, but it was pretty overboard. This is partly why the switch was made in Nightmare Tide to have PvP gear more similar to PvE so that it was more about skill than just gear whether it was from pvp or raiding.

A lot of people only PvPed because of PvE incentives. The moment they took those out, the interest dropped because the vast majority of people never wanted to pvp in the first place which contributes to why they put more focus on PvE til this day. That's not to say that pvpers shouldn't get more content and I hope they do. A PvP prime server would be cool and fun if they can manage to balance it well, but I don't see it realistically happening otherwise. I'm fine with being wrong if/when we get there.

I still don't understand why people consider PvP in Rift fun. Warfronts are horrible and CQ was even worse. As long as there is no purpose with PvP, I don't find a reason to do it. Use PvP as realm beneficial dungeon unlocks and buffs like back from Dark Age of Camelot or EVE Online.When PvP and PvE are in synergy, the PvE people like to show up too.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Rift was never PvP centric to begin with all in fairness. It was there and it was okay for maybe the first year when PvP shards were still a thing and the open world aspect (pvp rifts) were a fun thing, but it wasn't something they could ever manage to balance well and frankly there aren't too many games that do unless they're specifically built from the ground up with PvP in mind.
    Rift was actually PvP centric with having 2 factions, not being able to join a guild with other faction etc or even couldn't form raids with other faction even on PvE shards.

Let's check how many PvP shards and PvE shards were there on launch by going this old wiki
    Original launch had 48 PvP Shards including PvP-RP ones, 45 PvE Shards including PvE-RP ones and 3 full RP shards.

Almost all lore was focused on which faction going to come over cultists and write future on what they believe, resulted all warfronts were actually trying to get relics, objects belong to cultists and take over them, Port Scion which is actually original "Conquest" warfront focused Faction vs Faction vs Endless.

RIFT's current Game Director was original head of PvP development as well.

RIFT still had many pvp focused patches , changes till Storm Legion and faction unification.

One of the reason of faction unification was actual drop on vanilla playerbase, after disastrous Hammerknell launch, due to reasons like difficulties of bosses, bugs and delayed gates etc cost many raid guilds quit on HK launch as well.

When ember isle introduced most raiding guilds actually didn't have enough players from their own faction as a result of faction unification we were able to form raids, guilds etc with each other faction, this even caused problems with healing etc like people turned pvp mode on while raiding.

Even games own trailer when you launch game is focused on open world PvP, two defiants were casing guardian which all of us know, which you can see it again on below.

Watch this trailers too

Specially this one

then tell me RIFT wasn't pvp centric specially after this words of Daglar, "because players are most dangerous game".

Anyway let's get the point what I was saying on other post, while I know you trying to "transfer" what we have been told, I'm asking this once again with more detailed way as a person did you believe this to happen at all for the possibility of having another prime server with even PvP ruleset on with how currently things are going on?
    Last edited by aileen; 06-08-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Alright, I stand corrected. It was more pvp oriented (not centric) for the first 2 years. That's a fair point. The videos mainly point out that it was pvp centric on a pvp server, not so much the game as a whole.

Anyway let's get the point what I was saying on other post, while I know you trying to "transfer" what we have been told, I'm asking this once again with more detailed way as a person did you believe this to happen at all for the possibility of having another prime server with even PvP ruleset on with how currently things are going on?
    That's not what I was trying to do, that's what I did. I simply gave sceptre what the team themselves have said in the past. How he or anyone else processes that information is up to them. I also already answered your question the first time around and I can't help that you're not satisfied with it I suppose.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 06-08-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Alright, I stand corrected. It was more pvp oriented (not centric) for the first 2 years. That's a fair point. The videos mainly point out that it was pvp centric on a pvp server, not so much the game as a whole.

That's not what I was trying to do, that's what I did. I simply gave sceptre what the team themselves have said in the past. How he or anyone else processes that information is up to them. I also already answered your question the first time around and I can't help that you're not satisfied with it I suppose.
    Well its not about satisfying, it's more about you focused on your answer for what I pointed on what PvP used for mostly for PvE players.

My main point was do you really believe those empty words we kept getting each livestream? Do you really believe we will get another iteration of prime while first one supposed to be last a year then turned into slow mode progress alpha server?

In very optimistic way let's say prime ends when we finish T3 raids of vanilla which will be served around 3 years with this pace, do you even think players will wait another prime server?

Game needs maintenance mode, game needs serious backup from trion, if they can't even have financial support do it like how they introduced Trove which was a dream / hobby of one old RIFT designer, turned to an actual game with founders pack etc they sell.

They can make crowdfunding for rebuilding RIFT team or if they are going to give up game, make it open source.

What I was trying to point as a known person on forums mostly you are trying to help and transfer what we get from management on each livestream but most of this are empty words and people actually listen what you were doing and getting false hopes because of your reputation is strong, I do not mean anything bad for you, I'm trying to say please do not try to refer all stuff, only try to refer which you believe and going to happen because most people join forums before joining game itself and getting more disappointed.

I see your point, but I'm not intentionally going out of my way to get peoples hopes up.It's also not really my intention to be some kind of pillar of the community. Part of why I started posting on the forums and relaying the information is because people ask the same questions repeatedly when all of the info is already out there and generally the answers to peoples questions although they may not like said answers. This is usually why I try to preface (like I did in my original post) that this isn't something that they for sure said will come and highlight it as such. It's just something they discussed.

I would hope that people would read those highlights and understand that it should be taken with a grain of salt in the first place.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 06-08-2018 at 05:21 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

I've made this suggestion ad nauseum over the past seven years to totally separate PvE and PvP, Rift has far too many souls and combos to ever make any sort of 'balance' even remotely possible.

Make a separate template for PvP, make everyone, say level 10, all same abilities, a bit of DPS, a bit of healing, a bit of support/CC, nobody has an advantage so these "skillz" that all the PvP players are supposed to have come into play.

You could have a basic 'talent tree' that as you gain ranks you could branch off and spend points into slightly more DPS or go slightly more healing, i remember doing something like this in Lord of the Rings where you'd gain a 'companion' to help you with the Skirmish instances (think of them a bit like Chronicles) and you could level a 'Tank' companion, a 'DPS one or a 'Heal' one and as you leveled it up you could allocate points into it's tree.

Until there's no crossover at all between PvP and PvE it will never work, separate them completely, problem solved.

Well there are players out there like this sorta things, bring in more demand and making the game even more interesting. I know there a lot of players out there doesn't care or like pvp, it like carebears or kids as well adults don't have the stomach for it. Some may have serious mental problems and panic, etc.

The reasons I bought this up, is that they had pvp before and should have kept it. Infact it would make perfectly sense having world pvp due to two factions are at war with each others. For example, did you see the beginning video? Why do you think that Defiants want to kill that ranger and I assume he was part of Guardian Faction.

To me and many other pvp fans like get into pvp, this will allow a different character to play and lucky it isnt hardcore. Hardcore would be interesting, but I doubt if that will kick in, incase you don't understand hardcore while pvping, it like if you get killed, you can loose all your stuffs! If looted.

I can understand the talent skill trees that may not be balance for pvp situations. But I cannot say how to do it or how to fix it, it is your fault for bringing this up in the first place for world pvp and not be able to balance it or even improve it.

I will stick around and see what will happen later on, been playing on pve along with my girlfriend to keep her company.
    Last edited by sceptre; 06-08-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Rift was actually PvP centric with having 2 factions, not being able to join a guild with other faction etc or even couldn't form raids with other faction even on PvE shards.
    No it wasn't.

You had 2 factions, which most MMOs have. It was not PvP centric at all, because the PvP DID NOT matter. You could play on PvP shards and run around and mock each other on an open killing field for no purpose at all.

I saw no reason to join or do PvP during the launch and after that into Storm Legion. If you had elements of zones or key buildings to be owned by either faction, then it would be PvP centric. It was 2 factions disliking each other based on beliefs, despite both made stupid errors, nothing else.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast