+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: So where did you loose your Rift?

Default So where did you loose your Rift?

I lost my 'Rift' when mages became melee Harbingers. I played a mage from the beginning. Historically, a 'mage' is a spell caster and the game was fun when it first came out. My mage was competitive in every facet of the game, dungeons, raids, pvp, and solo grinding and leveling. But low and behold the expansions came and went, and suddenly the classes began the death spiral of talent evolutions. Mages became worrior like with harbinger and rogue like with archer talents. Rogues became healers, Clerics became who knows what?! It became a cookie cutter talent to get into a raid or dungeon group, if you don't melee, or archon then forget it. And then the end all as 'Eternal' weapon rose to the horizon making comformity of a set of button mashing and timers counting down to a precisely timed counter move for heal or legendary attack. Fail and you're booted from the group. And there goes the chance of gaining marks or gear that you need.

So there you have it. I'm not good enough to play the current game in a way that's enjoyable to me. It got too complicated for me. Rift on and have a good time you guys, I still get in on a few VP's and check my daily gifts.
    Just, comfortably numb....

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasyn View Post
    I lost my 'Rift' when mages became melee Harbingers. I played a mage from the beginning. Historically, a 'mage' is a spell caster and the game was fun when it first came out. My mage was competitive in every facet of the game, dungeons, raids, pvp, and solo grinding and leveling. But low and behold the expansions came and went, and suddenly the classes began the death spiral of talent evolutions. Mages became worrior like with harbinger and rogue like with archer talents. Rogues became healers, Clerics became who knows what?! It became a cookie cutter talent to get into a raid or dungeon group, if you don't melee, or archon then forget it. And then the end all as 'Eternal' weapon rose to the horizon making comformity of a set of button mashing and timers counting down to a precisely timed counter move for heal or legendary attack. Fail and you're booted from the group. And there goes the chance of gaining marks or gear that you need.

So there you have it. I'm not good enough to play the current game in a way that's enjoyable to me. It got too complicated for me. Rift on and have a good time you guys, I still get in on a few VP's and check my daily gifts.
    I have been playing Rift since the beginning with some breaks in between and have always played a Mage. I personally like the Harbinger soul the most but can understand that many don't like the Harbinger because he is not a classical mage soul. Currently the Harbinger is quite weak (except for open world content) and is not played in raids. In current raids the classic ranged souls like Elementalist, Pyro and Warlock are preferred. For me Rift lost his momentum when Trion stopped releasing new raids regularly with the start of the current expansion.
    Last edited by Bamul; 06-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Plane Walker

The feeling of letdown began with the announcement of no more 20 man raiding for this current expac. That was a huge deal for me as I have run a raiding guild since launch. We were built for 20s. It deepened to a feeling of betrayal when I realized this expac was like 1/3 of the content we would expect. It turned to a bit of rage seeing the fragment/rng/p2w stuff they put in for this expac, and the final moment that made me lose my Rift was when it became clear they had lied about Prime not impacting live.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasyn View Post
    I lost my 'Rift' when mages became melee Harbingers
    By default if you're in a guild, the role change wouldn't matter. You could still go with your role and do respectable dps.
    Dark Age of Camelot had close range PBAOE mages. Hibernia side had Valewalkers being scythe wielding mages using absorb shields, melee and lifedrains. Sounds famiilar? Even temporary pet zerg summoners.
    It's all about diversity, instead of being stuck to one class with one or two roles.

@topic
    I took a break a long time ago, though I don't really remember why. I've played a handful of different MMOs since then and hundreds of singleplayer games. Popped back in at some point, and now just play it casually which prevents a burnout.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Sword of Telara

To be honest, I kind of lost my Rift when falling damage was removed. Harbinger really annoyed me, too.

But, I got over both, and still try to enjoy the game, even if its current state makes me so sad.

Champion

I really like this game, and have been playing for a number of years (with some breaks here and there).

I mainly play ranged characters. Currently have about 3 mages. I never did understand how the inner works of characters are made, as my mage(s) mainly uses Necromancer, a few points in Elementalist, and no points in Pyromancer. And why have an area with no points?

Guess I lost my Rift playing too many other games with mages who had a more understandable build where I could make decisions to go Frost, Fire, or Arcane.

But, I'm having fun, so I'll just go along with whatever the build is that I need to be a decent character.

Unfortunately, I don't see this game lasting beyond another 2-3 years. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like Trion is interested in supporting this game. Too bad, could have been really good.

BMX
    Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    The feeling of letdown began with the announcement of no more 20 man raiding for this current expac. That was a huge deal for me as I have run a raiding guild since launch. We were built for 20s. It deepened to a feeling of betrayal when I realized this expac was like 1/3 of the content we would expect. It turned to a bit of rage seeing the fragment/rng/p2w stuff they put in for this expac, and the final moment that made me lose my Rift was when it became clear they had lied about Prime not impacting live.

The lack of delivery, the incessant gambling, the loss of 20 man raids, IRC's to do zone content.
    The postage stamp "expansion" has many reasons that players have moved along.

While the franchise is in trouble, I still and raiding and hangin out with peeps doing stuff.

Fragments with no method to view upgrade path = Gambling
    Gear boxes that give you what "they" want you to receive as opposed to letting us choose what we desire
    is out and out gambling with our hard earned capped intel.

Essences and gear items could easily be listed on the NPC and store...

Then there was the mass nerf a few weeks ago. Why can souls be buffed or scaled as opposed to being destroyed? Many of us are fed up with nerfs and buffs being nonexistent. Is nerfing a class into oblivion supposed to make us viable in BoS, if so, how on Telara? Please explain it to the community...
    Put the nerf bat in the rubbish can and rework the soul system to be appropriate for the current content!

Why did we get this microspansion as opposed to an honest to God expansion?
    Is anything being planned or done to encourage players to stay or return? If so, what might that be? And when??

Frankly, this franchise needs a massive amount of attention at this point.

There are over 300 names on my guild roster, of which around 35-40 are active these days. Many other guilds are raid log only status or worse, dormant.

Can Trion bring on enough developers to maintain Live and have a team that specializes in Prime thus leaving the live team to do the amazing works that they are capable of? How about it??
    Banned

Plane Touched

Default When SFP rolled out...

SFP rolled out after a quiet summer. Summers in my guild were usually quiet- vacations, summer jobs, trips taken. But nothing picked up when SFP rolled out. It was glitchy, had numerous bugs, 2 out of 4 dungeons were working, and there was no raid. The expansion was supposed to be elegant and trouble free- we paid for it after all. As the weeks rolled by my raiders left- one by one- for play time in other games which offered teaming and challenge. I ended up forming a like guild in a different game to save some guildies. Of my Rift guild of over 400 people hardly anyone logs on anymore. It is sooooooo quiet. There are a handful of questers and dimensioneers that still log on to enjoy the game- but either no one logs on or they have left. It is depressing, sad, and frustrating. Besides broken promises- or delayed promises- the things that have driven my remaining guildies away are planar fragments, eternal weapon grind, useless currency, auction house woes, and crafting unhappiness. Rift was my game. I absolutely adored this game. I spent more time, energy, and money on this game than on my house. I still visit from time to time to check on the status of my guild and these forums. What few good changes have been made are just not enough to inspire and get me- or any of my raiders- back into the game. I wish it was.

I didn't lose my Rift. There are things I miss. I think I miss the most was the excitement for Wednesday log in. Every Wednesday there was always something new for the longest time during Storm Legion. Whether it was a new wardrobe item, pet, mount, raid. There was always something new even if it was small. I don't even look anymore. I will never lose my Rift, I am here tell the twilight. Storm Legion Wednesdays were definitely the longest period I was super excited to log in during the week.

Rift Disciple

I think I lost it when Una and other npc started talking endlessly about their "foci" when they really had just one focus. Trivial, but hearing the word being butchered everyday became annoying.

I haven't quite, but I am losing it a little more every time I use "uncle stan's super secret lure", I am getting quite dissappointed, but disappointment is becoming a common feeling when I play.

Plane Walker

Been playing since launch and although I had some concerns in Nightmare Tide, I decided to trust and support Trion and purchase the SFP expansion. I believed their words that being a paid expansion, they would invest resources into resolving a lot of issues that came up late in Nightmare Tide and that our money purchasing the expansion would fund content. After the release of SFP, I was disappointed about the lack of content and lack of work class balance. I felt like I paid to do beta testing a product that wasn't ready and in a couple months, the expansion became free to play. So as a long time supporter of the game and of Trion, that was a big credibility issue I thought with Trion. I finally decided to try FFXIV and have been blown away. I will always look back fondly at my time in Rift though. It was very good before.

Xly
    Rift Disciple

Haven't quite lost it yet, but came close in the time between CoA and TD Normal ... and tbh, we're on the same track right now.

I've been playing Rift, mostly as a patron for 7.5 years now. It was my first MMO and I only started because I got it cheap in a Steam Sale and some RL friends were playing it as well. We had a great time, levelling together, getting into the first raids together... Over time, they quit and I found my guild as a replacement. Haven't changed that either for ... 6 years? And we've been through some rough patches. Sooooo many people joined, travelled along for a bit and stopped playing. Some came back, few stayed ... but we're still going quite strong today.

For me, Rift is 70% raiding and getting stuff to raid (dailies, crafting, learning specs) and about 30% community. If it wasn't for the people in my guild, I would have probably left in the above mentioned content gap. FFxiv was fun and filled the void to a good degree. Had more than 3 people joined it when I did, I would probably not be playing Rift anymore.

I even had to tell 3 good players, 2 of them I would consider good (Rift) friends, that it wasn't really worth looking back in when PoA was still pay to play and the Eternal Grind was 100 SPEs + Wicket. I'm not sure if I would still recommend not playing right now, despite the lack of new stuff to do.

There's so much bad about the game (crashes, balance, grind, lack of raid content ... how TF did I forget RNG?!) ... yet I still play at least 3-4 hours a day usually. The core is still brilliant and fun. I hope we can get some more meat on it, hopefully rather sooner than later.
    Last edited by Xly; 06-11-2018 at 11:49 AM.

SFP expansion contraction was the turning point for me. There were plenty of problems through NT but the content was still engaging and managing of the game was decent, and I personally loved the Plane of Water and Nightmare storylines, rifts and raids... somehow SFP was so abruptly underwhelming, it took me a few weeks to fully accept that was all there was to it.

The removal of most warfronts at the time, the absolutely $hitty implementation of fragments, the abhorrent cash shop practices... but what really sent me away was, and has been, how Trion communicates with us players: ignoring and/or making the core issues and requests seem irrelevant, arrogantly denying us the merit of our first-hand experience as long-time players (not just of Rift but several other titles) and paying customers of their product, and arrogating themselves the coolness of making fun of players' concerns with inside jokes and personal views that conveyed, above all, lack of professionalism.
    Nothing personal against anyone - many of you have been here since Day 1 and I have no doubt you are extremely talented for creating this masterpiece of a game, but... the managing of this game, on all levels, has been utterly undeserving of its name.

What part of production/direction/funding is at a fault, is for you to figure out. Your competition is doing an infinitely better job than you.
    Xarhuli@Greybriar

Telaran

After wasting most my plat on critical fragments too replace them for the only stat that exists behind rng and grinding crit power. I'm in disbelief that I upgraded like 3-4 rr crit essences when I could've had ap or cp. What happends when they make gear with too much main stat makes crit more useless when you can force them but why is it. When did planar tiers become irrelevant I guess its when they added eternal weapons and added bis crafting item that requires most boring objectives I guess that did it for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast