+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Legendary Abilities

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Lightbulb OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Legendary Abilities

Hello friends of Telara!

We would like to have your feedback on Legendary Abilities (LA).

Please respond on this thread and use the following format:

SOUL:
    LA:
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Additional comments:

NOTE: please DO add any and all related comments, such as how the LAs may work with procs (esp. Eternal Items) - in other words, additional comments, means ANYTHING related to the LA that you want Dev to take into account.

Repeat as often as you like for any LAs you have personally used and know well.

Note: Dev will not engage in discussion or debate here, we just want to collect all of your thoughts and put them into a big list, then review it.

This thread will remain open for two weeks, until June 6th/18.
    Much appreciated!
    Brasse
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 05-25-2018 at 10:06 AM.

General of Telara

SOUL: Warchanter
    LA: BattleSong
    Pros: Adds dps to a healing soul
    Cons: Adds waaaaaaay too much dps to a healing soul.
    Additional comments:
    This one legendary enables the whole chantion dps spec for warriors. This one ability makes Warchanter paired with a legendary in champion (punishing blow) our top dps soul. Kill it. Kill it with fire.
    On a more constructive suggestion I would make the pulse well... pulse only from the warrior and not the warrior + their 2 "Stand Tall!" targets. Some extra dps but not insane dps.

General of Telara

SOUL: Warlord
    LA: Breaking Blow
    Pros:
    • Allows for big heavy hits that is iconic of a big slow hitting warrior class fantasy.
    • Breaking blow now becomes a meaningful damage source rather than a way to proc piercing thrust/everything is a weapon legendary.
    Cons:
    • Consumes a lot of energy which means without the eternal weapon that regenerates your energy vastly quicker, it will not be a useable ability.
    • Does not consume attack points which leaves the soul with no single target attack point consuming ability.

Additional comments:
    I like this legendary a lot but it comes with problems. I would change it to consume less energy and do less damage as a base but the damage is increased further by consuming attack points. So it hits harder, consumes attack points which means it can't be spammed and doesn't cause as much of an issue with energy.

General of Telara

SOUL: Paragon/Tempest/Reaver/Warchanter
    LA: Swift Strike / Shock Pulse / Ravaging Strike / Seasoned Strike respeciively.

Pros: Adds additional damage to the warriors attacks and helps to make some off souls more desirable to invest in.

Cons:
    • It feels as though there are too many legendary skills like these for warrior. They don't feel unique as they essentially all do a very similar thing.
    • Though they can be functionally useful and an increase to dps they feel clunky to weave in this random skill from another soul that has no other bearing on your spec.

Additional comments:
    All four of these abilites essentially do the same thing which is why I grouped them together. When used they either increase damages of attacks not from their soul or do damage when ever the target is hit with skills not from that soul. You can have specs with two of these legendaries in them and it feels quite boring and feels like a chore to keep them both up. I would like some of these to be passive so at least we don't have to worry about keeping them up all the time.

Soulwalker

SOUL: Arbiter
    LA: Galvanic Strike

Pros: Good choice for DPS classes such as warlock that have time to sacrifice one gcd from time to time due to DoTs or other stuff

Cons: Does not go on cooldown, which for classes that cannot go for "one button" is quite a huge annoyance. After recent buff stacking changes does not provide as much as it suggest by the tooltip or as much as it granted, very underperforming, hopefuly resolved soon.

Additional comments: When used in full Arbiter build, the cooldown would annoy users of this build instead. Maybe cooldown that goes from 30 to 0 per point spent in Arbiter tree? Just a feel-better addition.

SOUL: Warlock
    LA: Void Barrage

Pros: Allows quicker DPS when used as an opener, tho sacrificing bonus from Void Decimation, well balanced around that.

Cons: +50% Passive DoT damage put at 61 points skill causes some variety builds to just feel bad to not have access to such a good damage boost (looking at dream of warlock + dominator when not limited to 1-2 death abilities form secondary tree, but hey, maybe some more opportunities). Additionally, makes it an auto-choice, can't run a full 61 Warlock without it.

Additional comments: Moving the buff to other ability could open some more possibilities. Maybe additional restriction, such as only Death/Life based DoTs, or smaller increase for non-Warlock spells?

For specific legendaries, I don't have strong opinions on any really

But on the system overall, I find it clunky to have 76 points AND masteries AND legendaries. From a player and UI point of view I would rather have 86 points with trees redone to accommodate.

Players in chat sometimes ask how to spend legendaries. The act of clicking again isn't too obvious.

And low level players often ask how to get them. It would be great if the tooltips could hide legendaries till 65.

Rift Master

SOUL: Chloromancer
    LA: Legendary Bloom
    Pros: 5 vile spores on targets near you! This was honestly one of my favourite ability legendaries when I reached 70. The potential uses in both heal and dps are great. Love very much the idea behind this
    Cons: The RNG and the "predictability" are a little difficult. You get *up to* 5 vile spores fired at targets near you. Not necessarily targets you are already in combat with. I have noticed fewer than 5 vile spores occurring; I have noticed Bloom hitting an enemy near me but *not* one I have already engaged in combat; I have been in combat with 3 enemies and only one or two was hit with the Vile Spores
    Additional comments: I realise that any adjustment to this ability to make the Vile Spores more predictable about the targets they hit (ones you are in combat with getting at least one of them; Vile Spores not flying behind you to hit enemy #4 when you have 3 engaged in front of you, etc) may make this ability OP -- but it is mildly frustrating to "accidentally" engage another enemy 10m away and not directly in front of you, especially when not all of your current targets even get hit by it.

Also, QOL request, relating to legendaries, if it is possible:
    In order to reset which legendaries you have chosen, you have to reset your entire soul build. This is a bit clunky. Because I want to switch from one legendary to another and literally nothing else, I have to go and respend every point and every mastery and every legendary over again? Can we have a button on the soul tree to "Unspend Legendary Points Only" or something to this effect? Is this doable?
    Last edited by Iphigeneia; 05-23-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Rift Master

SOUL: Pyromancer
    LA: Legendary Fire Storm
    Pros: Enormous dps buff. Incredibly easy to drop and focus on other things. I love being able to continue an AE ability while firing off my ST abilities.
    Cons: Two.
    1) Visual effects. Can we just have a green circle on the ground, and no swirly flames, for everyone, not just you, not just your party, not just your raid, but every single person who might possibly have to view it including enemies? Or a red circle. Or a orange circle. You get the idea. It's so easy to get 5-10 different mages casting this in a (for example) NMR, and it gets really horrible to see other things going on.
    2) I don't know that this is a knock against Fire Storm per se so much as Pyromancer's soul design in general. This legendary is so grossly necessary to the performance of Pyromancer that you basically cannot have a functioning build without it. The way I see the Legendary system (and Trion devs please feel free to shoot me down as 100% wrong) is that you should have 5 options for abilities to enhance your performance. They should all offer different enhancements, but one should not be so far overpowered compared to the others that you never have a build without it. Example here being Flame Volley. Flame Volley is such a weak ability to choose as legendary when you compare with Fire Storm, Fusillade or Internalize Charge that you just can not choose it instead and still be competitive in any situation. (This is of course my opinion but I just have never found a single Pyro build, 61 points or otherwise, where choosing Legendary Flame Volley in place of ANY OTHER Legendary from this tree would be an improvement.)
    Additional comments: I feel like Pyromancer being a Single Target soul, there should be SOME choice and some hard decisions made. Pyro is probably the *easiest* soul to select legendaries for because there are, as I pointed out above, three OBVIOUS best choices. In a perfect world, I feel like you should have to choose between Fire Storm and Flame Volley: one giving you more AE versatility but slightly lower ST dps and the other giving you a stronger ST presence.
    Last edited by Iphigeneia; 05-23-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Rift Chaser

Soul: Maelstrom
    LA: Scald

PROS: A good damage boost

CONS: The boost is so good it is required for every soul (excepting Primal Lord). This kills build diversity quite a bit.

It has a 1.5 second cast time. This breaks the flow of a lot of specs, since there are no cast time abilities in any soul that benefits from Legendary Scald. It is also subject to pushback, making it more annoying. Standing still for Scald*2 at the start of every fight or every target switch is not a lot of fun.
    Nivv <Stack More Crit>
    Nivva <Stack More Dodge>
    5th best primalist NA (also 5th worst)

Plane Touched

SOUL: Ranger
    LA: Call: Razorbeast
    Pros: Nice damage/healing buff for all other specs.
    Cons: Every spec requires it to be competative, with no other similar options.
    Additional comments: This LA is nice, but it locks us into a ranger off soul for whatever we're playing just to be competative. Wish we had another option similar so we had some variety.

SOUL: Nightblade
    LA: Hellfire Blades
    Pros: Provides extra damage, off global cooldown, so it can be weaved into specs without it feeling clunky.
    Cons: Also another LA that gets used with alot of specs because it's so strong, and no similar option from other legendaries.
    Additional comments: These two legendaries combined are the most used, and for good reason. If you want to do decent dps, they're required, thus locking us into a NB/ranger pairing of off souls.

SOUL: Bard
    LA: Cadence
    Pros: Adds additional damage to non Bard attacks.
    Cons: Very clunky trying to weave it into a dps soul as it's still a channel.
    Additional comments: Can't even tell y ou how much non bard attacks would benefit from this. I've tried it before, but it was so horrible trying to weave it into a dps rotation that I didn't bother continuing. Tooltip should also tell us how long Gentle Rhythm lasts.

SOUL: Shadeborn
    LA: Shadow Lash
    Pros: A ranged pull, useful for a tank.
    Cons: To get this, a tank would have to drop another, better off soul option to pick it up.
    Additional comments: Tactician(armor and resists low in the tree), Ranger/Bard(HP increases low in the tree) and BD(0 point Side Steps) are just way better for tanking. Picking up this LA is just not worth it.

SOUL: Shadeborn
    LA: Strangulate
    Pros: PvP? I guess?
    Cons: PvP?
    Additional comments: Can't really say anything good about this one.. Dont really have a use for it.

SOUL: Saboteur
    LA: Flashbang
    Pros: PvP? Long CD 3 target debilitate
    Cons:
    Additional comments: Haven't found any viable use for this LA, except for maybe pvp..

SOUL: Nightblade
    LA: Fiery Spike
    Pros: Extra physical damage on the target.
    Cons: Only 8%... feels clunky to use in a rotation.
    Additional comments: If you're going to go into Nightblade offsoul, just go 8 points and get oGCD Hellfire Blades. It does so much more damage than Fiery Spike would provide. No reason to use 0 point Nightblade as an offsoul, when you can get 0 point ranger for Call: Razorbeast.

SOUL: Riftstalker
    LA: Soul Coalescence
    Pros: Protects from Legendary hits... more tank dps?
    Cons: You dont gain anything else, and are more punished from using this too much because it reduces the cap size of Soul Synthesis by 5 whenever it's used. Use it 4 times in under 30s and you can't gain any stacks.
    Additional comments: This ability in general is kinda.. meh. Gain Soul synthesis stacks to do up to 100% more dps, as a tank... which isn't much. Use those stacks to take 4% less damage... Useful. All the Legendary version does is reduce the max stacks of Soul Synthesis we can get, for 30s, which applies a stacking debuff to us. Increase the damage benefit per stack, or increase the damage reduction for using them for the legendary version, imo.

Legendary Abilities in general weren't a bad idea, but some are just so imbalanced, clunky to use, or completely useless. They have done more to limit build diversity than to increase it.
    Last edited by Parkhyeyeon; 05-23-2018 at 04:08 PM.

SOUL: Harbinger
    LA: Legendary Reaper's Blade
    Pros: 2 blade buffs instead of just one is an awesome perk. The golden scythe is awesome from a visual standpoint!
    Cons: This legendary lacks any sort of power. Blade buffs make up a small amount of a Harbinger's overall DPS. Having 2 blade buffs does not make this Legendary legendary in power. Every other Harbinger legendary is far more impactful than this one. The damage buff from Reaper's Blade is way too situational to ever FEEL like it makes a difference, even if it can on multi-mob encounters.

Additional comments:
    Harbinger blade buffs are weak, and ONLY the Luminous Weapon blade buff actually benefits from the Mage's eternal proc. I honestly would like to see these buffs have more impact and straight damage for Harbingers. As it stands, Harbingers are underpowered, and they must rely upon Legendary Empyrean Ascension's passive damage buffs to be useful. It would be nice if some of that power was passed onto the blade buffs as well, so they are more than small damage procs at 70.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

Rift Chaser

Soul: Riftstalker
    LA: Shadow Blitz

PROS: Would be sweet if it worked.

CONS: Doesn't work. The 15% damage done debuff does not apply to CC-immune targets. This includes all bosses, so it is useless there. Similar debuffs from legendary Titan abilities (Upheaval and Epicenter) work on all targets, so I would expect Shadow Blitz to work as well.
    Nivv <Stack More Crit>
    Nivva <Stack More Dodge>
    5th best primalist NA (also 5th worst)

Soulwalker

Default Necromancer

Essentially I would like to see Necromancer competitive again, so I went with changes to it that would introduce actually making a choice which legendaries work best for the situation, as well as make it a bit more interesting to play.

SOUL: Necromancer
    LA: Soul Bond
    Pros: Decent DPS Boost, Decent tank buff, cooldown buff?
    Cons: Boring, doesn't make play any more interesting
    Additional comments: Although I wouldn't change it too much, I have a problem with most souls as they are locked in at 61 points because of how potent the 61 LAs are. Thus this is essentially an auto 'choice' even if the others are buffed/changed/added as mentioned below.

LA: Plague Bolt
    Pros: Very nice dps increase to basic spam ability
    Cons: SEVERAL abilities do not trigger it properly
    Additional comments: In general, I find this to be one of the best designed LA as it takes the weak spot of the spec and gives a major buff to it.

SOUL:Necromancer
    LA: Condemn
    Pros: Passive increase to DC stacks is great
    Cons: Consuming DC stacks makes it much less attractive and forces it to wait for rebuild, which also greatly reduces your damage while building back to 10.
    Additional comments: Consider not having it remove your DC stacks. Regardless, making DC stack to 10 makes this an auto 'choice.'

SOUL:Necromancer
    LA:Grave Rot
    Pros: ...
    Cons: Really bad damage, and while movement speed is decent for PVP, the cooldown makes it useless, and the massive number of blinks available to other specs makes it useless as well.
    Additional comments: Consider changing the legendary off grave rot, and onto corpse talon, and have the corpse talon one do something like "deals xxx damage increased by 30% per stack of Deathly Calling on the enemy, and debuff the enemy for 15 seconds, cause them to take 100% more damage from the mages pets"

LA: Reapers Touch
    Pros: Could alleviate problems from Condemn using stacks, but...
    Cons: it doesn't work at all.
    Additional comments: Possible change it to corpse explosion, and make it read, "Deals xxx damage to up to 10 enemies if the enemy dies within 60 seconds, or if the enemy receives damage cause by the death of another enemy affected by the Mage's Corpse Explosion. Deals xxx additional damage to the target and xxx damage to up to 10 nearby enemies when the enemy is damage by the Mage's Plague Bolt. [B]Damage is increased by 30% per stack of Deathly Calling on the enemy."

Also, its not a legendary, but Lich Form is mostly useless... The damage increase it gives is VASTLY sub par to just putting 4 points into elemental and using Legendary Elemental Forces. Potentially change it from 10% to caster and 10% pet damage to 20% caster and 100% pet damage.
    Last edited by trang; 05-23-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Rift Disciple

LA: Storm Slash (LSS)

Pro: provides semi-perm damage buff for non-harbinger's abilities

Con: Since with L. Empyrean Ascension (LEA) , it is a must to pick LEA for harbinger to do
    any level of decent damage as a dps hence players will have rending slash acquired.
    Which leads to being pointless to pick up LSS due to rending slash provides 13%
    damage to all damage types while LSS only benefits non-harb spells which means
    mostly the prim bolts, ae spells and dots from the offsouls of people's choosing.

Additional Comments:
    1. Perhaps change LSS into a buff where you can get the same effect.
    2. Make LSS has a similar beneficial level as rending slash. A wild idea
      perhaps a 3s dot after each slash of storm slash.
    3. Cancel LSS, and make a new legendary from other spells in harb
      tree.

--------------------------------------------------------------

LA: Reaper's Blade (LRB)

Pro: able to have two blade buffs active at the same time, the damage buff after killing a mob is
    rewarding.

Con: does not benefit from eternal like Luminous Weapons resulting in very weak damage to a
    point almost players are picking this legendary just for the 2nd slot for blade buffs and the 20%
    damage buff after killing a mob.

Additional Comments:
    1. Perhaps change LRB to be benefited from eternal.
    2. Straight up add passive damage bonus rather than gaining it after killing a mob.
    3. wild idea, when you have reaper blade buff active , each attack will have a follow up attack that does x% of the initial damage hit , with the proc NOT being RNG (aka no " there is a x% chance it procs "). In order to compensate the damage passive from LEA not affecting vile spores from L.bloom.

SOUL: Chloromancer
    LA: Bloom

Pro: good amount of damage serving as an offsoul for dps specs, and provide good healing
    output for healing specs

Con: cannot control who the spores target, which often makes the spores hitting immune
    targets if there is one nearby. On top of that, with L.Bloom having an weird mechanics for
    range where the spores will only fire when your target is 15m radius within you or your
    target(if you arent using cast@self and turning on Target of Target). And in addition of
    the game having issue of recognizing spores damage from L.bloom, often resulting in
    using L.bloom but only 1 to 3 spores to even zero spores firing off to mobs even when
    they are in range. And on top of all that, L.bloom does not gain you any charges.

Additional Comments:
    1. Change L.bloom to fire all 5 spores to your currently selected target while fixing the issue with the system fail to recognize the spores damage from L.bloom.

SOUL: Warlock
    LA: Neddra's Grasp (LNG)

Pro: good damage and provides damage buff

Con: after numerous patches including the most recent one (23/05/18), LNG is finally close to being issueless. Unfortunately it still has issues on live where some of the mobs will not trigger Lingering Torment (from legendary version) at all due to either lack of "use an ability" in the LNG tooltip or some abilities from mobs and bosses even after being used somehow do not trigger the effect.

Additional Comments:
    1. Perhaps rework the ability itself from applying 5 stacks of debuff which will only react to some of the abilities to a dot which provides the same amount of damage while maintaining the 20% damage bonus to the player in the form of having a buff on players such as L.Piercing Beam(LPB) from harbinger.

might add more in the future
    Last edited by Cileriqao; 05-25-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    Cileriqao@Greybriar <Kairos>

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #15
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jegodinn View Post
    It's obvious that rigorous QA testing and studying the data for each spec to make proper development decisions by actual developers is out of the question, and people randomly posting what they think should happen with no research on their own is up for grabs.
    The Dev team does PLENTY of data collection and analysis. What they are looking for here is how players feel. Quantitative and qualitative. Is it useful, is it fun, does it feel right?
    This does include how players feel about other souls, because perception is part of qualitative feedback.

The more feedback we receive, the better informed Dev's process will be.

My question is, Jegodinn, do you have any detailed opinions or thoughts on individual Legendary Abilities to add to the list? We'd certainly appreciate it!
    Brasse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast