• 1 Post By Colibri
  • 1 Post By Colibri
  • 2 Post By Calamity319
  • 1 Post By Dragonbone
  • 1 Post By KnightFalz

Thread: Rift Prime is it worth it?

Soulwalker

Default Rift Prime is it worth it?

I just came back after quite a while away from the game and noticed the new Rift Prime feature. Is it worth it or should I stick to the live ftp servers? I enjoy the the game quite a bit but I'm concerned about the planned end of Prime roughly after a year after launch.

Telaran

they have already said they will be extending it past a year. if it continues to be popular it may be extended again, perhaps indefinitely. whether its "worth it" is up to the individual player. it is a different experience from the Live servers, and what you like or don't is ultimately up to you.
    Laethys- Linn, Mina, Mordana, Nif, Sif
    Vigil- Linn, Nif, Mena

@Calamity319, if/when Prime does end, they have stated that you can transfer your characters to Live free of charge.
    Serenity
    is not freedom from the storm,
    but peace amid the storm.

Default I'll tell you why I'm focusing on Prime...

I have 6 alts on WB, and 2 each on they other shards, excepting Seastone. I obviously LOVE Live, and have played since launch, most of the time as a Patron after it became F2P.

However, I don't Raid, don't PVP anymore unless it's for a guild quest or an achieve, don't really do dungeons anymore because I don't have time. My main focus is Dimensions.

At this time, I am focusing on Prime because it has brought a little something-something back to my Rift gaming experience. I still don't do the aforementioned things, so I'm not your typical player, but I've discovered I like the less "entitled" method of playing. I got so used to quick-leveling alts through IAs and (while it lasted) crafting dailies.....and now that's impossible. Now you need elbow grease!

My challenge on Prime is trying to figure out how to amass a decent wardrobe and find Dimension items since even simple building blocks are hard to come by.

It's worth it to me, but I still check in with Live daily and will be there for events. Frankly, I'd pay for Patron either way, so I can do either server as the mood strikes me.
    LIVE: Boudicah (67), Ceridwynn (65), Gwenllyan (62), Iceniqueen (42), and Prasutagus (50) @Wolfsbane

PRIME: Boudicah (30), Prasutagus (20)
    Please visit my dimensions on Prime by searching Boudicah

Default Yes

Been playing since one of the closed Betas on Live, have 11 chars 66-70. I find myself mostly on Prime since it launched.

*Been ages since I have done old world content and it's really fun to do it with others again. Many people are new to Rift and it's a lot of fun playing with newbies who are just figuring out stuff.

*Prime is more difficult than Live was at launch, and I like a challenge. The forced automentoring is a welcome change - lvl capped players can no longer blow through zone events and bosses ruining fun for others.

*Because of the forced mentoring, Prime forces you to be prosocial. This is a GOOD THING. I see people all the time grouping up for quests in the Life/Death sagas. That didn't happen before.

*And going on the above, Prime is one shard yes, but with a LOT of players. So with one shard, people get to know each other and be held accountable for their words and actions. Again, this is a GOOD thing.

*The gradual unlocking of zones, events, raids, etc, has me excited because I know what is to come, and I get a chance to feel the giddiness I felt the first time around (RoS event, I'm looking at you! ;) )
    Last edited by Colibri; 05-16-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: I kan't spel

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by kaymcleod View Post
    I have 6 alts on WB, and 2 each on they other shards, excepting Seastone. I obviously LOVE Live, and have played since launch, most of the time as a Patron after it became F2P.

However, I don't Raid, don't PVP anymore unless it's for a guild quest or an achieve, don't really do dungeons anymore because I don't have time. My main focus is Dimensions.

At this time, I am focusing on Prime because it has brought a little something-something back to my Rift gaming experience. I still don't do the aforementioned things, so I'm not your typical player, but I've discovered I like the less "entitled" method of playing. I got so used to quick-leveling alts through IAs and (while it lasted) crafting dailies.....and now that's impossible. Now you need elbow grease!

My challenge on Prime is trying to figure out how to amass a decent wardrobe and find Dimension items since even simple building blocks are hard to come by.

It's worth it to me, but I still check in with Live daily and will be there for events. Frankly, I'd pay for Patron either way, so I can do either server as the mood strikes me.
    doesnt really make a whole lotta sense considering u can do all that in live...and be a patron.....if someone really wants an alt to replay the game....make a new toon...really think tryin to open a server with old content is foolish...but hey what do i know? ooooohhh thats right this ensured me NOT to spend atm......i remember now

Shadowlander

how many prime players were already subs anyways.....did u really gain anything? just more work now isnt tryin to satisfy a whole server of spenders. plus tryin to enforce chats rules....ending up more $$$?????

Quote Originally Posted by Dems199999 View Post
    doesnt really make a whole lotta sense considering u can do all that in live...and be a patron.....if someone really wants an alt to replay the game....make a new toon...really think tryin to open a server with old content is foolish...but hey what do i know? ooooohhh thats right this ensured me NOT to spend atm......i remember now

Have you played on Prime? I listed the changes above, but to each their own. I don't expect Trion, or any game studio to run as a charity- they are a business. For me, I feel I've gotten my money's worth for a huge amount of fun. There will always, ALWAYS be people bleating about "cash grabs" et al, in any game. But I think for the most part they get the balance right. YMMV, and no amount of arguing or blustering back on forums will change that. However, playing with the mindset of having fun and getting to know people (for raidcalls!) might. Pax et veritas!

Soulwalker

Default I'm starting to get convinced :)

I'm really considering doing this now. I loved rift when it first came out so I'm going to try it for at least a month I'm sure I'll have a blast . Just gotta wait for the servers to come back up....

Smile well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dems199999 View Post
    how many prime players were already subs anyways.....did u really gain anything? just more work now isnt tryin to satisfy a whole server of spenders. plus tryin to enforce chats rules....ending up more $$$?????
    One by one:

*No way for players to know that, it's irrelevant anyway. There are plenty of players waiting to do content, and *doing* content, on Prime and Live.

*Yes, I gained something with Prime- hugely better daily calendar rewards! I am fine with these bribes. More than fine. It's all either very helpful, or very fun stuff. Especially Mount day when we all happily log into chat to share what random mount we got. But to me, because I love a sense of community, that's fun. (In addition to everything else I listed above that is a draw for me)

*Can't understand your next sentence there so I'll skip it.

*Enforcing chat rules is part of their job, so I do not think it requires more pay for them. Just my thinking, though.

Ascendant

The big selling point of Prime is 20 man raiding. PvP is still a mess though.. in my opinion. I still think it is a travesty that they chose to eliminate 20 man raids on live. Usually a strong bond is formed over years and years with those same players and basically they just said you can no longer play with half your guild mates or friends when PoA was released. SadFace. I don't understand the reasoning behind a lot of the decisions they chose for Live PoA. Almost like it was designed on purpose to destroy relationships with systems that were built to fail over a period of time. Or systems needed to be revisited for maintaining and adjusting but the developers who built the systems don't do the adjusting and revisiting so it just fails completely and needs to be scrapped and replaced with a new system that again may be of the same nature of failing and/or needing to be recycled into something new.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 05-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Prime.... whats the point or have I missed a trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
    Have you played on Prime?

Yes, I have played prime! and really can't see the point of it. Fine for those wanting that particular experience but totally useless to a subscription paying live player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbone View Post
    Yes, I have played prime! and really can't see the point of it. Fine for those wanting that particular experience but totally useless to a subscription paying live player.
    Useless in your opinion, but obviously not in that of those subscribers that spend their majority of time on prime. That you don't see the value of it doesn't negate it for those that do.

+ Reply to Thread