Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree401Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Maintenance mode for Rift Live

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #31
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

We will soon announce a new event coming to Live... more of a challenge, really. If all goes according to plan, that news will come out this week. ;)

All of the balance changes underway right now also impact Live - and while it's not content, it is something that players have been asking for across the board. Everything does take time.
    It's not quite two months since Prime has launched.

In the end, every game has a shelf-life of appeal for each individual player. A month, three months, a year, a decade. In most mature MMOGs, there is a natural ebb and flow as people wander off to explore new worlds and then return for content unlocks and events over time to whichever home feels most like their social home. I don't think anyone in the industry EVER expected these games to last as long as they do... but they do!

We are going to release a new Dev letter this month as well, in which we should be able to lay out more of what we're working on.
    Sorry I can't be more specific at this time.
    Brasse

General of Telara

Talking of those balance changes is the Alpha server going up so we can test the changes for live as well??
    Last edited by Balidin; 04-30-2018 at 04:20 PM.

BMX
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    We will soon announce a new event coming to Live... more of a challenge, really. If all goes according to plan, that news will come out this week. ;)

All of the balance changes underway right now also impact Live - and while it's not content, it is something that players have been asking for across the board. Everything does take time.

In the end, every game has a shelf-life of appeal for each individual player. A month, three months, a year, a decade. In most mature MMOGs, there is a natural ebb and flow as people wander off to explore new worlds and then return for content unlocks and events over time to whichever home feels most like their social home. I don't think anyone in the industry EVER expected these games to last as long as they do... but they do!

We are going to release a new Dev letter this month as well, in which we should be able to lay out more of what we're working on.
    Brasse
    Thank you kindly, Brasse!

It does feel like Live has seen little love the last couple months and actually longer.
    Class balance has lead to hanging up my mage of 7+ years. Since 4.1, I have not played my mage since I don't desire to be shoved into Chon or Chloro in every instance.

Warrior does great dps with a healing soul, mage is a break your fingers rotation.
    Let's scale the soul system properly with buffs to a few dps souls, please.

On the content front, I am hopeful to see some fresh instances come our way. That purposefully left out the bad word known as "intrepid". With the talent we have available, they are good at this and can gitter dun.
    Banned

Plane Walker

Brasse
    This is true of most games and of previous Rift expansions but with the current expansion, a huge chunk of players suddenly all decided their shelf-life of appeal is up. This seems more than just the natural ebb and flow of mmorpgs. If you pay attention to player feedbacks, lack of content and lack of class balance seem to be the driving force rather than this "natural ebb and flow" you mention.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by McChaffe View Post
    It was a joke on my part.

I pretty much have all characters at 70 and am a full omni-crafter in XiV.

The combat throws people off, but it's honestly the smoothest tab target MMO out there because the GCD prevents animations from being interrupted for the most-part.
    The key is content. FFXIV has loads of content just like Rift had before. Look at the FFXIV 4.3 notes (new patches come every few months like clockwork):

New Main Scenario Quests – The story of Stormblood continues.
    New Alliance Raid – The Ridorana Lighthouse.
    New Trial
    New Dungeon – The Swallow’s Compass.
    New Beast Tribe Quests – The Namazu.
    New Sidequests – The Four Lords, Doman Reconstruction and Further Hildibrand Adventures.
    New Deep Dungeon – 100-Floor Heaven-on-High.
    The Forbidden Land, Eureka Expansion – Pagos Expedition.
    New Ultimate Difficulty Raid – Ultima Weapon.
    Updates to jobs, PvP, glamour system, housing, performance actions, new more powerful gear and more.

It really reminds me of Vanilla Rift when we got a lot of new content regularly. Heck I remember about a month after launch, Trion released a second raid River of Souls. One month after launch lol! That was a great time for me as a Rift fan. Players like us will be drawn to whatever provides us content. For Rift to become a great game again, making a commitment to pump out content regularly will be the key in my opinion.

Brasse
    Looking forward for this Dev letter
    Make sure you hint some new CONTENT you are working on for live.
    Its very important right now to hint us what you are working on and when briefly new things coming to Live servers
    All we know is the summerfest coming sometime end of June - early July

Champion

Brasse
    Brasse,

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if some of the existing content for live was going to see a facelift like the seige event in Xarth Mire.

The rewards have gotten a bit stale and the invasion phase still doesn't award any planarite. It feels like the towel got thrown in as far as that event.

Any chance that perhaps it gets redone where maybe a hard mode QF with new rewards gets released when the event is completed? Maybe with new seals as well?

BMX
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgi of Prydain View Post
    This is true of most games and of previous Rift expansions but with the current expansion, a huge chunk of players suddenly all decided their shelf-life of appeal is up. This seems more than just the natural ebb and flow of mmorpgs. If you pay attention to player feedbacks, lack of content and lack of class balance seem to be the driving force rather than this "natural ebb and flow" you mention.
    With the advent of RNG boxes AKA gambling boxes along with IRC's associated with zone activities, and stale content being the norm as of late, this turned people off in a major way.

The community has spoken with their wallet votes as well as in the forum.

Is this disparaging? Not in the least, it's a wakeup call to the stakeholders that are seeing a reduction in revenue stream!

There is a thread re: maintenance mode since it is feeling that way to many players.
    Banned

Plane Walker

I would love a dev response to this one as it is key to this entire discussion:

1) Will there be new and original 5 man content coming in the next 12 months on live? (dungeon)

2) Will there be new and original 10 man content coming in the next 12 months on live? (raid)

3) Will there be new and original 20 man content coming in the next 12 months on live?(raid)

My suspicion is that live will see lots of old 10 and 20 man content released in some modified form on live as we lag a month or two behind prime. That effectively means Trion will have stopped releasing content on live in any meaningful way. This is defacto maintenance mode.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Rift Master

I have been a patron for seven years, I have seen it all with rift. My husband quit playing 6 years ago but yet I kept paying his patron account. So I have had 2 patron accounts for 7 years. I quit pvping when they took valor away and will not go back until there is a pvp system in place that rewards pvp players only so I do not get murdered by someone with a shinny new raid toy.

So all I do are world events, make money and play with dimensions. I am playing live on the side since I can do low lvl pvp but that it is. Live is still my home. While I am enjoying prime a bit I will say live is being neglected, my issues from a non raider, non pvper are as follows (I know they have a bunch more than I do):

-The PTS for live has been down for quite some time. I do not go on it regularly but I still have cause to go there from time to time. I have been trying for many weeks now to get on it but it has been down. I thought the fact that you were adding the PTS for prime we might get lives back up. But nope...still down. Did you guys just take
    live's PTS server and give it to prime?

-There has been nothing on live to promote. You give us some piddly things to do from time to time. You took away our weekly promo events away (still mad cause I was 10 currency items away from one mount and refuse now to spend a ton of affinity to get it after spending all that time on the other event).

-As I stated nothing to do. You have not even put that shinny artifact event back up. I spent so much of my time doing that the two times you had it but yet I am missing some sets. Now its been like 4 months since you had it. It can not be that hard just to switch it on for a week, I am sure it will not take that much time away from prime to do so.

-You toss us world events like.. hey see we are still doing stuff for live. But they are a copy and paste job. Which they always were and I am good with it (makes it easier on me to run through them with the massive amount of chars I have). But you normally add new stuff. This past one all you did was add a few costume sets and a mount to try to get us to spend with credits (which I gladly did). Then only a new companion and ONE new dimension item was all there was for us repeat rifters to spend our currency on. Is this going to happen with summerfest?

I accepted that rift live would take a bit of a hit to have prime. And I was ok with it for the sake of Trion's business success. If they do not have success then we could lose Rift entirely. But do not totally ignore live please, some of us Patrons still call it home.
    Last edited by Manasha; 05-01-2018 at 07:31 AM.

General of Telara

Brasse
    I think the argument about ebb and flow really doesn't apply here. ebb and flow is like when a game finishes all the content for an expansion and there is a lul in content. With Rift Amary said there is more content apparently coming so we are not in that stage.

The reason for the lack of content and the current maintenance mode of live Rift is because of Trions decisions to make it so not because a new expansion is being worked on or anything else. The game has lots of issues large and small which could be fixed with some small attention made to the game. An example would be the calander giving currency from last expansion or guild quests giving rewards from 2 expansions ago.

World Events are not meaningfull cotent btw and I am sorry to say that for people that enjoy it. The Game needs permanent meaningful content not a couple of weeks of (sorry) rehashed 5 year old quests or raids of jumping on balloons. Where has the Mayhem events gone, they were great. We don't even get those promotion mount events anymore that some people like.

Wow had a lul of content in warlords because they were working on the next expansion for wow live NOT because they would release Classic instead of content for live. Classic has its own team. Eve has been out for 15 years and they bring roughly 2 expansions a year.

Content is sidelined and promises have been broken because Trion made the decision to use their small team to work on other projects. A lul to me means two things usually; The time is being taken to bring a big update/ expasnion further down the line for the Live game or the game is going into maintenance mode/closing down. -see Warhammer Online.

If Trion wishes to change this perception you have to take action. I don't have any interest in a Dev letter or any other public relations mechanism, they mean nothing at this point. Only actions mean anything. For instance you posted about the balance changes (hurray) and then kept the Live Alpha PTS server locked while the Prime PTS was up yesterday. I posted 3 times about it's current status on these forums and on Facebook with NO reply. So there we go, actions speak louder than words.

I am a patron. I pay Trion every month and have done for seven years. I want Rift Live to succeed.
    Last edited by Balidin; 05-01-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgi of Prydain View Post
    The key is content. FFXIV has loads of content just like Rift had before. Look at the FFXIV 4.3 notes (new patches come every few months like clockwork):

New Main Scenario Quests – The story of Stormblood continues.
    New Alliance Raid – The Ridorana Lighthouse.
    New Trial
    New Dungeon – The Swallow’s Compass.
    New Beast Tribe Quests – The Namazu.
    New Sidequests – The Four Lords, Doman Reconstruction and Further Hildibrand Adventures.
    New Deep Dungeon – 100-Floor Heaven-on-High.
    The Forbidden Land, Eureka Expansion – Pagos Expedition.
    New Ultimate Difficulty Raid – Ultima Weapon.
    Updates to jobs, PvP, glamour system, housing, performance actions, new more powerful gear and more.

It really reminds me of Vanilla Rift when we got a lot of new content regularly. Heck I remember about a month after launch, Trion released a second raid River of Souls. One month after launch lol! That was a great time for me as a Rift fan. Players like us will be drawn to whatever provides us content. For Rift to become a great game again, making a commitment to pump out content regularly will be the key in my opinion.
    Yup, XiV's schedule of one major content patch every three months with other minor content patches between them works pretty well with the amount they pack into the patches.
    Everything after Storm Legion was a mistake. (™)

RIFT ON REDDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/

Glad to see that there is a Dev letter coming soon, this will be warmly welcomed by everyone, the speed and amount of communication between "the company" and its "customers" has always been a sticking point where Trion and Rift players is concerned but I do think it is beginning to improve and that can only be good for Rift, in all its various incarnations.

I think in a previous post on another thread a number of weeks ago I suggested a "accidental whiteboard reveal" would be something that would be fun to see, and looks like this may be what is happening, perhaps the dev letter will reveal what was under the sticker on that whiteboard...

I think everyone understands that the rules of simple economics are at play and 7 years in Rift has to be making some big changes in order to retain its current players, entice back some previous players and also get players away from other shiny things...and that is never going to be easy to do...there is no way to please everyone so there will be some sacrifices that HAVE to be made along the way.

However...what other games are fantastic about doing is consulting with the players (Tip for Trion - replace word player, with word customer or consumer) on what they may be, what the impact may be, to determine if will be a positive or negative change, whether it will break (or make) guilds relationships with the game...you get the drift...

The other games I am talking about maybe have larger teams or budgets than Rift, but this kind of stuff does not have to cost the world -issue some Polls on your Rift forums, create some surveys and email to all account holders, issue newsletters - you used to do all these things when rift started.

Don't rely on word of mouth...messages get distorted,
    Don't rely on third party websites like reddit or suchlike - get the message out to the people who pay the bills first - you have all of our email addresses!

Remember that law in some countries is changing around data protection so you may have to contact all of your customers in any case - so why not make it a bit of fun and a two way process.

That being said I for one am looking forward to some exciting NEW content (and hopefully not an other intrepid rehash) coming soon...

Unifex out.

Plane Walker

I am not really sure what good a producer's letter does in the macro sense.

From what we have been told recently, most of the things that were in progress in the past for live have been shelved. I have seen nothing about original raid content. PVP has been wrecked to the point where even a new wf means very little. I really liked what Rift was,warts and all, but at this point I am watching the decisions of the last few years slowly finish off what was an amazing game with nearly unlimited potential.

I dont get how Brasse makes these comments and she has made others in the past. The souls system is - by design - badass at least in theory. It allows tremendous flexibility and customization. It kind of reminds me in some ways of the old God Wars muds back in the day, but all in all they had innovation, customization, and depth all in their favor. With this soul system, the game can go on for a long long time. The things that have killed this game have largely (from my limited view) vision and company based. Shrinking staff and more games to cover - not good. We used to have lots of class devs then 1 and then for a bit 0. We had raids coming out every few months then basically the quality and quantity dropped. GSB, ROS, HK (especially), ID etc you name it were some of the best raids ever in a MMO. I actually think HK was the best raid I have ever played in my life. But then there were less and less people working on raids and the quantity and quality suffered. We had a decent PVP system (it never really came close to beating early WoW), but you could see it was there. CQ was pretty cool at first, but it never seemed once released they could decide on what it would be. By the time the second CQ came out, it was awful and so bad they had to remove it from the game before deciding to shelve CQ entirely. They had this idea of rifts and world content that would be dynamic - anyone who was here in the early days knows exactly how well they nailed this. Anyone who did Volan on a PVP server knows how incredibly badass that was from beginning to end. Hundreds of people brawling in the open world to the point where the event often expired because people fought the entire time. I never experienced better in any game.

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKvVte8Y5pk and know how far they have fallen.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

Champion

If all these changes also effect live why is only the Omega server open on PTS?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast