+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift Store: Lets help improve it!

Soulwalker

Made a separate post, but thought this might be relevant to add here:

Posting this because I think it may result in some more action on live. Currently the only thing you can do indefinitely to grind and improve a character is running TDez for intel.

Last night after running out of charges, I realized my only option to improve my character was TDez or going to the store to buy charges, which IMO are priced too high. While reducing price might create more demand for charges, I have another idea as well.

Why not reduce the amount of charges required for minis in TD and IROTP? A lot of the raiding community has been on T2 for almost 6 months, so a reduced cost to gear up new players/alts in T1 grindable content would be a great way to keep people active on live while awaiting IGSB.

While on the topic of IRC, I think it should also be removed from raid rifts. Grinding rifts is kinda what Rift is about and locking people out of their rewards because of a cash shop item doesn't feel right.

Just the 2 cents of someone who wants to play rift, but can't really take much more TDez.

Revamp and reduce the credit store on Live. We're looking keenly at player feedback, especially some recent well-presented player discussions, to improve this area. While we view the store as a place for cosmetics, convenience, and some amount of ability for newer players to catch up with their friends, we don’t want it to be perceived as gameplay replacement, so we’ll be making upcoming changes with that in mind.
    Source http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ev-letter.html

I think this would be the right time to give continued feedback on the subject for anyone that has any now that we know they're looking at redoing the store quite a bit. Please try to keep it on topic still of course.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

I don't really have any hard suggestions right now but the biggest issue I see with the store is optics. Short of a few... missteps (like the dragon's hoard) the store hasn't been PTW, not really. It can often feel and look PTW and honestly, that's the same thing to a lot of people. Trion would be well served by just going through and looking at every complaint about (supposed) PTW stuff on the store and just... examining how they can make it look better. They also need to be way more upfront on the buying raid armor thing. Yes all of us veteran players know what they've said. A new person trying the game out and seeing that? That's going to look WAY worse than it is. Just providing information on why it works how it works is important for retaining new players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    It's oft said, and I do paraphrase, that Trion could mail people $100 each and some would complain on the forums that it should have been more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyn View Post
    Hey folks,
    Just dropping in a reminder to ensure your posts are on topic, civil and constructive.
    Thanks!

Rift Master

A couple of suggestions and comments.

Gear
    Should never be in the store for credits. And let's face it, for the amount of money it costs this is aimed at whales. I think that this item causes more harm (resentment / P2W appearance) than good (how many whales buy a set???).

Vials / boosts for notoriety / tokens / etc

No issue with those with a few caveats: as long as I can get there through game play without being so severely gimped that there is no point, then that's fine. For example: shortchanging us on quest exp while leveling to push exp vial sales on us is not cool. I think many people would buy a vial anyway just for the convenience, even if it's not really needed to max out without wanting to stab yourself in the leg with a spork.

Cosmetics, Mounts, pets
    Bring it on! New stuff please (not reskinned / recoloured).

Other convenience items
    Sure.... things like color & hair style bundles, last name scrolls, faction change scrolls, you name it. This is all ok in my books.

IRCs
    Those need to die in a fire. Luring people in to spend money on gambling is pretty low. Yes, it generates money but it is so troll that words fail me. Yes yes, better odds than Las Vegas but I bet (haha, see what I did there?) that people aren't playing Rift because they are looking forward to gambling.

Referral Awards
    This needs to be looked at as right now it provides very little value. Remember, for someone to collect referral coins, someone else spent real life money on your product.

Affinity Awards
    See Referral Awards. Please look at those as there is hardly anything of value here. Also, rewarding people to "stay logged in" with these only encourages TB-afk'ing.

Patron
    This is very situational. I always buy patron when I'm leveling because the bonus is pretty nice. I sometimes buy patron for when I'm collecting coins for something, but that rarely happens. Patron needs to be looked at. I am guessing that sales would go up if the value would be better. I know Trion has said no in the past to this but I'll bring it up anyway: add a bit of a credit stipend to patron. Other games do it so I'm not buying the "can't do it for accounting reasons".

Value in general
    I would urge Trion to take a hard look at value versus cost. When the mood strikes me to treat myself I have often looked at the Rift store for something small. However, when I see the lowest cost items sitting at a cool $5-10 then that is no longer a micro transaction and I usually pass. When I hear micro transaction I think iTunes where songs cost a buck or two. DISCLAIMER: I know that you can buy crafting mats for less than that but that's not what I'd "treat" myself with.
    Last edited by Leocadia; 05-31-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Cause Engrish hard!

Champion

The relationship between dropped and bought T2 gear is backwards. Gear dropped from bosses is twice as hard to upgrade than is gear bought from the store. Store bought requires 2 Storm Cells where dropped gear requires 4, this is backwards.

I'd love to see the rest of the mounts in-game move toward being account-wide. I kind of understand keeping achievement reward ones unique, but even then I think they should be available on all toons (and not on a planar squirrel-esque system where repurchasing them costs a lot of credits).

But the mounts purchased with affinity, prize tickets...those are earned either from patron (paid) or lockboxes (paid), so why are they not also account-wide? If we're moving more away from lockbox mounts, which is a wonderful thing, then lets make all the mounts "account unlocks!"

Also, if the store is being revised: please add a new loyalty tier. Silver tier has been out almost 3 years now (July 15, 2015) and that's almost half the age of the whole game. There have been many silver tier giveaways from livestreams, contests like the Seeker, the $250 pack which gives a ton of loyalty, and many other things done since it was added, and I think it's time for the Rainbow Tier/Gold Tier/Diamond Tier/whatever it may be called. I have submitted many ideas for what it could include via in-game feedback but honestly, at this point I think it's just been long enough to add a new tier!

--

Unrelated, but if the "sorting mounts by their type, i.e. murdantix, horse, lifter, etc." thing could be finished, that would be awesome. It's very inconsistent now and some mounts are by speed, some by type, in some ways it can be harder now to find the one you're looking for than it was before the mount categories appeared. Make them all sorted by type, preferably alphabetically within categories (so the order is the same across characters), that way it would be much easier to find the ones you want, and tell which ones you're missing. And if you guys wanna do a random mount button (no, I don't want to use an old addon that doesn't go into a button on my skill bars), that would be great, too.
    Last edited by Serein; 05-31-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD 3/3 BOS
    New to Rift? Free bag, cape, weapon glow, and title with my Ascend-a-Friend code: EPZHJKQ3DDYHG7GDEDHJ

Quote Originally Posted by Leocadia View Post
    A couple of suggestions and comments.

Patron
    This is very situational. I always buy patron when I'm leveling because the bonus is pretty nice. I sometimes buy patron for when I'm collecting coins for something, but that rarely happens. Patron needs to be looked at. I am guessing that sales would go up if the value would be better. I know Trion has said no in the past to this but I'll bring it up anyway: add a bit of a credit stipend to patron. Other games do it so I'm not buying the "can't do it for accounting reasons".

Value in general
    I would urge Trion to take a hard look at value versus cost. When the mood strikes me to treat myself I have often looked at the Rift store for something small. However, when I see the lowest cost items sitting at a cool $5-10 then that is no longer a micro transaction and I usually pass. When I hear micro transaction I think iTunes where songs cost a buck or two. DISCLAIMER: I know that you can buy crafting mats for less than that but that's not what I'd "treat" myself with.
    the stipend would add value to both patron and the game itself, the tease of having 500 credits a month (which is the standard amount in other games) makes players want a bit more, it wets their whistles and gets the fence riders to come down and open their wallet more often

I might even suggest increasing the stipend by 100 credits per loyalty tier per month
    Last edited by Challengere; 05-31-2018 at 03:47 PM.

My only suggestion for the store is that I would like to see some of the old, really hard to get mats that are vital in some crafting recipes added to the store.
    Some of them did have alternate ways of procuring them back in the day, but all those methods have been removed, leaving farming old content the only way. But, with old content no longer being done on any regular basis, some of these items have become impossible to obtain meaning that crafting recipes that require them also not possible. This is particularly noticeable with level 50-60 recipes.

Yes, I am mainly a crafter, and love being able to make some of the more obscure recipes.

I also have one suggestion I don't agree with, and that was moving costumes out of the store and into raids and dungeons. My reason: I love costumes, but due to disability I don't raid or do dungeons, so it would make them impossible for me to get. Also, new(er) and returning players shouldn't have to run raids and dungeons ad nauseum, and hope that the rng gods are on their side to get what long term players could just buy in the shop for just a few credits or plat.

Editing to add:
    Also, please make the store searchable from the front page! Would add a huge quality of life rather than going through every sub-section.
    Last edited by Hellishly; 06-01-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: adding another idea

Ascendant

Since the shop was the main reason my wife and I left the game 2 years ago, I felt I might be able to add something here.

Personally I do not care what is sold on the shop - if you got your equip by wiping for weeks on the same raid boss, I'm fine with it. And if you got your equip by waving your credit card at the shop, I'm also fine with it. Neither affects me in any way, as I'm not engaging in competitive activities.

But what I absolutely dislike in F2P games is when the shop gets rubbed in my face on every move I make. So here are some examples of what I dislike on the Rift shop, and what needs to be changed before I even might think about coming back (not everything is related directly to the shop, but since it falls into the category of monetization, I felt it was ok to mention it here).

a) Designing the game around the shop

When a game gets designed in a way that the shop becomes the least painfull way to aquire stuff, something's very wrong with the game.

Example: before going F2P, the drop rate of your BIS item X is 10%. So you built a group of guildies, did the dungeon ~10 times, and with a little bit of luck you finally got your item. Now with F2P, you BIS item X is available on the shop (which I'm fine with), but its drop rate gets reduced to 1% (which I'm not fine with, as now the shop is the only reliable source of the item).

IRCs sound like another example for this behavior. I'm fine with RNG, but paying money just for the right to roll the dice? Thanks, but... no. If I want to play the lottery, I will play the lottery, and not a MMO.

b) Charging for the same thing over and over

When I buy an in game item with cash, I expect it to be usable for free, as I already paid for it. When the item requires me to insert coin after coin every time I use it, I get upset. *Very* upset.

Example: Opie. This mount was initially only available by pre-ordering PoA for cash; and each and any of its abilities cost planar nuts which have to be bought on the store (yes I know that you can create alts, farm artifacts, and get nuts for free - but that's missing the point: I already paid cash for it, so it has to run for free).

In fact Opie was the final straw to my wife and me, and the reason we both left the game after 5+ years.

c) Overprized stuff (in a range from normal to completely ridiculous)

As has been mentioned before, there is nothing "micro" in the "micro transactions" on the Rift store. Next to anything there seems totally overprized to me, and only the worst offenders were removed in time (100€ for a 1 in 42 chance on a certain mount I want? LOL)

That's why I ignored most things on the shop, because for virtual items the cost/reward ratio just did not seem to match.

d) Being lied at about the shop

The login splash screen was designed to direct people to the shop. Ok, I understand that. But when it was introduced, we were told that the screen would also be used to display actual information to the players, much like the login message in chat (which nobody evers sees).

Some time later we learned that it was impossible to use the screen in this way, since changing the text there required a client patch.

So every day I logged in, the screen just reminded me of being lied at by Trion officials, and thus totally failed to put me in a mood where I wanted to spend money on the shop.

e) Randomly putting price tags on things

There are minion missions. And sometimes there are minion missions with a price tag. The same mission, the same rewards, just with a price added on top. Extremely annoying when it happened with a quest mission that you needed to do, and either had to shuffle away, or pay the price - both with clenched teeth, and not feeling happy at all.

f) Patron is worthless

I have no problem paying a monthly fee for a game, but the way patron is set up, it is totally worthless to me. I would be fine with most of the things I mentioned above, if they only applied to F2P players, but not to patrons. Like: F2P has to buy IRCs, Patron gets free rolls. F2P has to pay for Opie jumps, Patron gets them for free. F2P has to pay for the minion mission, Patron gets them for free.

Simply put: if I pay a monthly fee, I do not want to see any more price tags popping up in the game. Not *less* price tags, just *no* price tags. I want to pay once, and then be done with paying - except of course for fluff or convenience items like mounts, wardrobes, profession or bank slots, and the like. But paying for Patron, and then still being pestered by price tags? No. Just... no. This is like pay TV where your movie still gets interrupted every 10 minutes by idiotic ads, a concept that simply makes no sense.

Telaran

Default :(

I used to love to spend money on Rift but so much brings unhappiness about the game's state rn. I find it easy to overlook anything they're selling in the store. It doesn't help also that the mounts are often overpriced and cosmetics are the most successful thing designed and created, here. Just wish there could be much more fixed so I can vibe with that "spend my money here" euphoria that once delighted me.

Edited:
    But if I were to add anything I would say

First: Revamp patron. Besides a a few conveniences its nearly useless. Increase coin percentages for activities that players engage in. Also instead of providing a dung and or pvp charge, give 2 and allow players to decide which. Increase in a more predictable way loot so players get something appealing from loot boxes instead of fluff or add credits to patron.
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 06-01-2018 at 09:48 AM.

BMX
    Champion

What needs added is essences listed (NOT IN GAMBLING BOX FORMAT) like there are but with a notoriety string attached. Let the player CHOOSE the essence, not a slot machine!

Capped intel was added to the game in addition to Celestial Remnants which we already had for zone content marks. Frankly, we really didn't need another currency when we already have Tower Fragments and Celestials.

Torvan/Lycini was the thing during SL and with Venerated you could buy the essence of your choice.

As for the weapon set on the store, it's not even a blue quality in comparison to a 3rd upgraded eternal, consider it irrelevant...

LFR gear for credits, go for it peeps! As for Tier one gear, prolly could be a lil cheaper in terms of shards, but for credits, not so much.

Fragments, list em outta the box! Get rid of the slot machine! Let's hope for a revamp of the associated upgrade path that is comprehensive, since I still cannot preview the upgrade path without getting jerked outta my plat.
    I believe the fragment system was a great idea but only with a non slot machine approach. And what happened with the right hand pane that was sposta open up?

IRC's are just fine for reset of golems and LFR however, they should have no affect on open world content.
    DRR/Crift should be exempt. Sadly, I cannot gift an IRC pack to a few of my guildies that are on a fixed income and cannot buy them without having to forgo something more important in their lives called medications and food. This is something that could be changed easily and a price reduction on em would be very nice.

Perhaps a return to Sub2Play and out and out removal of gambling should be considered.
    Banned

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Leocadia View Post
    Value in general
    haha or more like the lowest cost item sitting at $15-20. This wouldn't seem dismissive to player satisfaction, if the game wasn't in its current state. But as is, its like why would I spend this money when I can't even upgrade all of my fragments or when class balance is undermining the quality of the game.
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 06-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Rift Chaser

One thing that annoys me greatly is new packs added for cash only. If you have your own currency (credits in this case) everything in your store should be buyable with that currency.
    Nivv <Stack More Crit>
    Nivva <Stack More Dodge>
    5th best primalist NA (also 5th worst)

Quote Originally Posted by Harumph View Post
    One thing that annoys me greatly is new packs added for cash only. If you have your own currency (credits in this case) everything in your store should be buyable with that currency.
    But credits are basically cash...
    I don't get what the difference is?

I honestly prefer the cash packs because then I know exactly how much it is, rather than buy a pack of credits that may or may not be the exact amount needed. I don't mind buying small things that cost a few credits, but for larger priced things (1000 or more) personally I would prefer to pay cash rather than have to buy a higher priced credit pack. This is specially important when there is currency conversion to be factored in.

For example, there may be an item I want that costs 1200 credits. Now I can't just buy 1200 credits, I have to buy the $19.99 pack of 3250 credits. In my local currency that translates to almost $28.00AUD. But the 1200 credits would translate to only roughly $14.00AUD. If I have just a few dollars to spare, I'd be probably inclined to spend that $14.00, but not the higher price to buy a bunch of credits I didn't want or need.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    But credits are basically cash...
    I don't get what the difference is?

I honestly prefer the cash packs because then I know exactly how much it is, rather than buy a pack of credits that may or may not be the exact amount needed. I don't mind buying small things that cost a few credits, but for larger priced things (1000 or more) personally I would prefer to pay cash rather than have to buy a higher priced credit pack. This is specially important when there is currency conversion to be factored in.

For example, there may be an item I want that costs 1200 credits. Now I can't just buy 1200 credits, I have to buy the $19.99 pack of 3250 credits. In my local currency that translates to almost $28.00AUD. But the 1200 credits would translate to only roughly $14.00AUD. If I have just a few dollars to spare, I'd be probably inclined to spend that $14.00, but not the higher price to buy a bunch of credits I didn't want or need.
    why not, and here is a real brain bender to think of (sarcasm intended), offer them for both options in case non cash players want access to them for credits bought through REX and are more inclined to acquire them that way as opposed to trusting someone on a gifting agreement that to this day still isnt COD capable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast