+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legacy Achievement Philosophy

Default Legacy Achievement Philosophy

What do you (both players and devs if they like) think about all those achievements with unobtainable rewards? Whether it is the Graveyard Shift of Gloamwood ('Undertaker' title!) or compensation for Instant Adventures ('<Insert Zone>' title!).

Should the rewards be missing forever? Should such nice things (titles/pets/mounts) never be obtainable again, for prestige? Should developers make an effort to reintroduce such rewards through new (ex. Undertaker in a future Death content?) and old (Freemarch title added to Freemarch zone achievement?) gameplay?

Mayhem was an event that was assumed by many players to be a recurring event. What about the rewards like 'Lord of Mayhem' title being added again sometime - even if it means months/years until some hypothetical 'Gods of Mayhem' raid? Or it this only properly for players who where there at the time and didn't miss out?

Its not so much the achievements and their points I'm missing - I guess I can understand why most of them had to go (EXCEPT HAMMERKNELL 50) - but I wonder about everything else attached to them. At least almost seems a waste to not use the words, the models, the.. etc.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 03-13-2018 at 10:21 AM.

I think those titles and rewards should stay exclusive, as a reward of what was achieved.

It's of course okay to release similar rewards in the future by other means.

The IA achieves and titles are still obtainable btw, it's just a bit more work.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    I think those titles and rewards should stay exclusive, as a reward of what was achieved.

It's of course okay to release similar rewards in the future by other means.

The IA achieves and titles are still obtainable btw, it's just a bit more work.
    Are they not still rewards? They don't get deleted.

Why similar and not the same?

Where do you get these IA titles? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Are they not still rewards? They don't get deleted.

Why similar and not the same?

doing 500 IA in each zone and the cheevo will still pop with the reward..
    most legacy cheevos still pop if you do the required action

Still from the old legacy achievements. If you meet the requirements you will still get the achievements.

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

So if you're just playing the game and not looking at outside info, you can still get some mystery achievement unlocked in Legacy?

Are there still spirits in Gloamwood's Solumn Outlook that I can kill with my alts and get Undertaker, for example?

Regardless, there's still a lot out there this is absolutely exclusive, that make me sad that others can't get. Now whether this should change is another matter that I'm asking about, but yeah, sad.

There's a 'Zealot' title from just having 'drinks with the devs' 2013. I just imagine an avid RPer that would love that, ha.

I guess I may not believe in total exclusivity. Even when it comes to 'rewards for achieving things', I point to often raid achievements in MMOs, where the raid stays up for years and years and the 'challenge' gets easier and easier (soloable?) but the reward maintains. The earlier birds had their hard go at it and a date to tag when they got the achievement done. The cosmetic reward to me is the cherry on top that doesn't need a shortage/cut-off, just perhaps (even a longggg) rationing.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 03-13-2018 at 11:17 AM.

So if you're just playing the game and not looking at outside info, you can still get some mystery achievement unlocked in Legacy?
    Yes. Some legacy achievements are because content was removed, but some were just made legacy because it's very hard to obtain them now and Trion don't want people to burn themselves out on them. As you can't queue for specific zone IAs anymore, it's much harder now to farm them.

Are there still spirits in Gloamwood's Solumn Outlook that I can kill with my alts and get Undertaker, for example?
    No idea.

Regarding exclusive rewards, I think it's awesome to have some. I think of it like you win a Medal for participating in a marathon in 2012. It always remind you of your achievement. Of course, there would still be medals for marathons in 2018, but they won't say 2012 and maybe look a bit different.
    Last edited by Seshatar; 03-13-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    Yes. Some legacy achievements are because content was removed, but some were just made legacy because it's very hard to obtain them now and Trion don't want people to burn themselves out on them. As you can't queue for specific zone IAs anymore, it's much harder now to farm them.

No idea.
    Okay, thanks for your opinion and help.

For the matter of IA and other such achievements (like perhaps one day Unstable Artifacts..), I'd prefer:
    -(For IA) An updated UI that lets one personal queue for a specific zone if they want. But it being more hidden (like specific dungeon) and made clear that they're on their own, unless a raid moves their way. But that's just me.
    -The big thing is that achievements get proper organization. IA ain't a big deal, if there's its own section and it doesn't visually interfere with other progression. Unstable Artifacts, and somewhat Artifacts as a whole, are a big peeve for me here, since I'd prefer they not be in Zone but rather, especially at this point, their own Artifacts section. Let me do the 'base' challenges, and open that submenu to the crazypants stuff on my own ;).

Ral
    Rift Master

I can understand and accept content that was intended to be exclusive being exclusive, even though there are a few things I really want.

What I cannot abide is things that were once part of the game, but because the developers did not have the time or desire to maintain or repair them, had to be straight up removed. Even worse is things that were stated to be commonly used and easy to maintain due to extra work put into them, then never seen again such as Promo events and Mayhem events that were supposed to run semi-regularly at the switch of a button, but have been non-existent for over a year (or two+?).

So much great content has been abandoned by the devs to the point of triviality and later removed when it became exploitable due to neglect, in some cases under the premise that people didn't enjoy it when that was not the case at all.

Consider all the things that have been abandoned right now, and what will be cut in the next expansion. Foremost PVP seems like it is on the chopping block. There is a new warfront coming, but if that is not well received, which it won't be without plenty of other MAJOR changes, I am very confident PVP will not exist beyond level 70, and likely will be removed entirely at a later date.

The Legacy achievements are a small track record of many of the things that made Rift great, but will never return, so yes, I most certainly do want that content (and many other things) restored.
    Last edited by Ral; 03-13-2018 at 03:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread