+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Prime - One Question

Telaran

Default Prime - One Question

Are Stone-Elementals again able to tank (with Elementalist's HoT) like it was possible when Rift launched and long, long times after that until it was patched away - or not?

I'm thinking about returning to Rift and to Prime-Server - but it depends on the answer to this question.

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

We haven't made any changes recently to the earth elementals, and they are able to tank. But the Necro's Knight seems to be better at it for some reason. As a class to play while leveling, the Elementalist is among the best.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Adria View Post
    Are Stone-Elementals again able to tank (with Elementalist's HoT) like it was possible when Rift launched and long, long times after that until it was patched away - or not?

I'm thinking about returning to Rift and to Prime-Server - but it depends on the answer to this question.
    I chose the recommended elementalist which has the Stone elemental that's supposed to Tank. Already at level 12, the pet won't hold aggro.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    We haven't made any changes recently to the earth elementals
    So, no. At Release the Elementalist's HoT healed 25% per Second for 5 pulses to summoned elementals if I remember correctly.

But no changes there. Thank you for the answer. Well, no Prime for me then

Plane Walker

Tank pets have trouble keeping aggro. And that has been an issue for years. You will rip aggro off your pet while leveling. Last time I tested it was about 6 months ago leveling up another mage. And I don't think fixing this has been on Trion's priority list for a while, so I don't think this has changed.

Yes the ele tank pets does not hold aggro. Try necro if you want a tank pet it is a little better. Or try some old good necro ele mix, maybe it works with the prime souls.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Shadowlander

the lesser earth pet is really bad at holding agro however the advanced earth pet seems to be much better thus far iv not had any issue's. however i have a theory that it seems to be all down to how agro works in this game. each move generates an amount of threat low dps moves such as ignite dont generate much threat at all however high dps moves such as lighting strike generate significantly more threat. as such they can override the threat generated by the pet (which has its own moves as such generates its own threat). my tactic has been to order the pet to attack manually let it get the 1st hit in and start generating its threat then attacking myself starting with low dps moves such as ignite then assuming im at range lighting strike followed by spamming crystalline missiles as fast as possible. 99% of the time the mob is dead before it can reach me there are a few high lvl mobs that do get to me but that's what my ice shield spell is for.
    Last edited by meirden; 03-10-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by meirden View Post
    the lesser earth pet is really bad at holding agro however the advanced earth pet seems to be much better thus far iv not had any issue's. however i have a theory that it seems to be all down to how agro works in this game. each move generates an amount of threat low dps moves such as ignite dont generate much threat at all however high dps moves such as lighting strike generate significantly more threat. as such they can override the threat generated by the pet (which has its own moves as such generates its own threat). my tactic has been to order the pet to attack manually let it get the 1st hit in and start generating its threat then attacking myself starting with low dps moves such as ignite then assuming im at range lighting strike followed by spamming crystalline missiles as fast as possible. 99% of the time the mob is dead before it can reach me there are a few high lvl mobs that do get to me but that's what my ice shield spell is for.
    sorry this isn't well worded to rephrase my tactic at lowish lvl was to use the pet as a distraction temporally keeping the adds attention off me while i set up my more powerful moves stacking as many dots on my target as possible. lightning strike is are most power attack as such its tempting to open with this but because its so powerful it generates a huge amount of threat. this tends to override the treat your pet has created as such the mob switches its target and comes to you. the way around that is to send your pet in 1st let your pet beat on it and generate some threat then hit it with your lower damage moves such as ignite and flame bolt cos these moves are lower damage the dont generate a lot of threat and the mob "should" keep its aggro on your pet. once you'v exhausted your lower dps moves then go for your higher dps moves such as lightning strike done right the pet should keep aggro long enough that you can get a full rotation off. sorry its really hard to try and explain things such as aggro and threat and the way there related to dps i only get it myself because i occasionally tank with my char on live. however once you get high enough in the elementalist soul tree to get the advanced pets things get much easier the advanced earth pet is much better at aggro generation. i hope iv explained this better this time around lol.

ps i should also mention the pets do have moves that will force the mobs to attack them however they only last for a few seconds as soon as thoughs few seconds are up they will immediately switch targets back to whatever has the most threat if that's you then that's who they'll attack.
    Last edited by meirden; 03-10-2018 at 05:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread