Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree105Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift Prime name poll

wow you guys, the things you are saying are pretty screwed up.

I didn't vote for wintercharm because i had no idea what it was. I say here like wtf wintercharm? is tht a zone? or some stupid fae character?

After i saw it won, I was compelled to google it, now i feel like a jerk LOL and now im glad it won. Its a memorial to that person.

I doubt it was rigged too because i checked that pole a lot and winter charm was close for a while and slowly creeped ahead unless you are saying devs secretly sat there and monitored the poll for days, slowly EVER so slowly adding points to it. Again, i doubt.

You guys should be happy, this is a memorial, If someone wanted to memorialize the name of a loved one of mine in the form of a server name, id be totally ok with that.
    HotGarbage | Healer | PRIME

Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    I like how Meridian was winning by 20 votes an hour before closing time then magically Wintercharm votes sky rocket within 10 minutes.

This is literally false, i looked at it 10 hours before it closed and Wintercharm was tied with it.

If someone wanted an entry to win they could vote more than once by creating extra Goog accounts, but that is a huge pain in the butt. I doubt it's rigged.

Very few people overall actually voted in the poll. The spread between first and second choice is less than 30 votes. It doesn't take much to make that happen. It could be an organized guild that tipped the vote.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by WildKatt View Post

I didn't vote for wintercharm because i had no idea what it was. I say here like wtf wintercharm? is tht a zone? or some stupid fae character?

After i saw it won, I was compelled to google it, now i feel like a jerk LOL and now im glad it won. Its a memorial to that person.

I doubt it was rigged too because i checked that pole a lot and winter charm was close for a while and slowly creeped ahead unless you are saying devs secretly sat there and monitored the poll for days, slowly EVER so slowly adding points to it. Again, i doubt.

You guys should be happy, this is a memorial, If someone wanted to memorialize the name of a loved one of mine in the form of a server name, id be totally ok with that.

It is ok to feel this way but not everyone wants to log in and think of someone they wish more than anything, wasn't a memorial.

Its putting real pain on our login screen everyday for those who truly knew her. Nobody should want for that and nobody should want for someone's memory that they love to be upsetting others.It shouldn't even be something we need to think of. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaldr View Post
    If someone wanted an entry to win they could vote more than once by creating extra Goog accounts, but that is a huge pain in the butt. I doubt it's rigged.

Very few people overall actually voted in the poll. The spread between first and second choice is less than 30 votes. It doesn't take much to make that happen. It could be an organized guild that tipped the vote.
    Right and im sure ppl did do that for Meridian and other server names tehy wanted, just as tehy could have wfor wintercharm

Right and im sure ppl did do that for Meridian and other server names tehy wanted, just as tehy could have wfor wintercharm
    I doubt there was much organization behind that. It was just an example of why it's possible. With so few votes it's most likely just the way the vote went.

Players are notoriously horrible designers. I think it's a mistake to put those design decisions in the hands of players. Think about it. You have 172 people on the server that wanted that name. Everyone else did not. What should have happened is Trion chose a name after meeting and discussing it amongst themselves. Players wouldn't have cared because it was never an option.

It's sort of like how the end of server life was presented. Maybe they shouldn't have been so transparent and left it more open ended instead revealing the punchline of the last chapter from the get go. These are mistakes an experienced team like Trion shouldn't be making. No big, but they should pick up the ball and run with it like a pro from this point on. The MMO community is notoriously unforgiving.

Telaran

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-closed-4.html

now you tell me... 21 :17hrs ..... xx votes is votes at this time, (xx) is the end result at 8:17 am

1 Meridian 93 votes (144)
    2 Wintercharm 91 votes (172)

3 Vigil 74 votes (79)
    4 Port Scion 59 votes (63)
    5 Orphiel 58 votes (60)
    6 Greenscale 50 votes (53)
    7 Mathosia 45 votes (60)
    8 Atrophinius 35 votes (37)
    9 Asha Catari 19 votes (19)
    10 Usukhel 14 votes (15)

0: 48 am

1 Meridian 107 votes
    2 Wintercharm 95 votes

3 Vigil 75 votes
    4 Port Scion 60 votes
    5 Orphiel 58 votes
    6 Greenscale 51 votes
    7 Mathosia 54 votes
    8 Atrophinius 35 votes
    9 Asha Catari 19 votes
    10 Usukhel 14 votes

4.01 am wintercharm 124 meridian 117
    4:23 am wintercharm 126 meridian 126
    4:48 am wintercharm 128 meridian 136
    4: 53 am wintercharm 131 meridian 139
    6: 17 am wintercharm 160 meridian 142
    8: 17 am wintercharm 172 meridian 144

Looking at the numbers...
    In the first 20hrs, meridian and wintercharm get 93 and 91 votes

I mention the first interim score and we see a slight increase in voting.. meridian gains 14 votes in the following 4 hours, Mathosia 9 votes.

Around 1am, I post the 2nd interim score
    In the next 3 hours, wintercharm gains 29 votes, meridian gains 10 votes
    One hour later, Wintercharm gains another 7 votes, meridian gains another 22 votes.

In the next hour, there is some talk in ingame chat on the NA shards about the voting
    and one hour later, wintercharm has gained some 29 votes.

Between 1 am and 8 am (closing time for the poll) all the other 8 options gained 19 votes together, while meridian gained 37 and wintercharm gained 77 votes

sidenote.. all times mentioned are forum times All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 PM.
    Last edited by Yvette; 03-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-closed-4.html

... snip ...

Looking at the numbers...
    In the first 20hrs, meridian and wintercharm get 93 and 91 votes

I mention the first interim score and we see a slight increase in voting.. meridian gains 14 votes in the following 4 hours, Mathosia 9 votes.

Around 1am, I post the 2nd interim score
    In the next 3 hours, wintercharm gains 29 votes, meridian gains 10 votes
    One hour later, Wintercharm gains another 7 votes, meridian gains another 22 votes.

In the next hour, there is some talk in ingame chat on the NA shards about the voting
    and one hour later, wintercharm has gained some 29 votes.

Between 1 am and 8 am (closing time for the poll) all the other 8 options gained 19 votes together, while meridian gained 37 and wintercharm gained 77 votes
    I had a feeling that something like this would occur.

Between 16:38 and midnight (Pacific Time), there was a total of 137 votes cast, with Wintercharm obtaining 77 (56.2%) of those 137 votes. The next closest is Meridian obtaining 38 (27.7%) of those 137 votes. The next closest being Mathosia with 6 (4.37%) of the 137 votes cast.

Wintercharm obtained almost 50% (44.77%) of its entire votes in the last 7 hours of the poll. Every other choice had a near linear (or flat) progression of votes being cast.

In my opinion, that just reeks of shenanigans being performed.

To put into a graph/chart to summarize what Yvette is saying, below is a link of a googlesheet break down of the votes by times that I performed on the last day.
    With all times listed being Central Time.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So what we've managed to incur, is that this child is now going to be remembered as being part of something, whether true or not, that is shady, but did manage to get quite a number of folks all in a tither. I know as a father of 3, that is NOT something I'd like to have as a memory of my child.

I personally believe that Trion needs to step in here and do something to smooth over this debacle. With something akin to,

"Thank you everyone that voiced their opinion and concerns on this subject. But RIFT is a game where folks come to relax, play, have fun and for a short period of time step away from the real world for a spell, devoting some time with friends they've made around the world, we believe that the memory of this child needs to be unstained, and for the best interest of our players and the game, we're going to create a more appropriate in-game memorial that encompasses all of our loved ones that have passed away since RIFT went live, and we're going with the name we originally discussed in-house."

Just my fatherly 2 cents.
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Plane Walker

There is a memorial in the game. Many players have made dimensions in her honor. Trion has made an NPC in her name. People from Rift have donated to her GoFuneMe page. There has been much done for her in regards to this game.

So if the server flops, would it be okay for her to be remembered along with it? The server more than likely will be closed at the end. Would it be okay to name a server that will eventually close after someone who has passed? It almost seems like she is being mocked here. This is not right at all.

This is literally false, i looked at it 10 hours before it closed and Wintercharm was tied with it.
    Hmm, seems you were wrong with the recent data OP posted.

Telaran

10hrs before the closing, it was pretty close

10hrs before closing is between the times from the list I posted. For forum time it would be around 22:00 pm
    Between 21: 17 and 0:48, Meridian was gaining over wintercharm.

I'll give you one of the options that happened.

Trion starts the Prime SERVER Name challenge.
    They ask for names as a possibility for the server name..

1.. it is not the SERVER name they are looking for, but a SHARD name.
    Just like EU, NA and PTS are SERVERS and Alpha/Omega, Brutwacht, Gelidra, Laethys, Greybriar are SHARDS.

2.. They mention they will take 5 names from the proposed names and put those in a poll.

3.. At the end of the thread with proposed names/beginning the poll, they say they narrowed down the list to 10 ! names, chosen with Dev approvals

4.. When the first comments arise over Wintercharm being one of the names, they say that this name was chosen because so many players mentioned her name.

Looking at things.. Wintercharm died fairly recently, her memory, the grief over her passing, her NPC, her flowers in store.. it is all still fresh in mind for those who knew her, loved her, cared, were working with her... Understandable but of huge influence of her name being mentioned.

Trion did not set rules on proposing names.. other than the 'it has to be related to rift' and the ' don't be naughty' ..
    They allowed for comments given in the thread, opinions... and when you let people open that door, people go through it and influence eachother by giving names and supporting given names.

That also made the thread too crowded for players to read through.. Usually people read up the first names, when the thread becomes too long, they just read quickly through and toss in a name at the end. In the case they have seen the names they want to propose already in chat, they are more likely not to post their thoughts anymore. Especially if there is no strong personal/ emotional connection with the names..

Had Trion been upfront from the beginning, saying that they would also count how often a specific name was mentioned, people might have posted certain names more often.

With setting a wider range of names in hindsight, people might have posted more/different names.

With giving more options 'cause we thought the players would want more options to choose from' they spread out the voting over too many names.

The moment a gap appears between results, people change their voting. Mea Culpa here.. for posting the interim scores did influence the results. And perhaps Trion should have removed the post..

People tried favoring choices.. Mathosia and Vigil did get a boost for a short time, but did not get close enough to the top 2, to make up for the difference.

So at a certain point, there are 2 contenders left, wintercharm and meridian

Players that would otherwise have chosen a different name, now see that gap with the other 8, realize their favorite will not stand a chance and look at the 2 options..
    They look and vote.. not necessarily because they like the name they vote for, but to a certain level also against the name they certainly do not want

Many were opposed to wintercharm because of reasons mentioned in this thread and other threads..
    Others were opposed to meridian for it being a heavily defiant-linked name.

Each time an interim score was posted, the voting switched to the one who was behind..

The conversation in chat on NA did the rest.

So yes, this poll was highly influenced from the start, which has no doubt had a bigger impact on the results than many would have wanted.
    Last edited by Yvette; 03-01-2018 at 02:37 PM.

This whole situation is pretty inappropriate.
    Last edited by Stihl; 03-01-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    I'm ya boss baby, crank it like a chainsaw
    Rogue Moses of <Coriolis>
    "Everyone do their crafting dailies today?"
    Feed our Turtles, upload your combat logs!

The very fact that a sweet girl's name is now being dragged through these forums and bickered over is why it never should have been included in the first place. Before this announcement, anyone searching her name would have been linked to her creative work, to statements from those who knew and loved her, and to the thoughtful, loving memorial set up for her in-game. Now it's linked to this mess, and also linked to the success or downfall of the project itself. Disappointing.

Dimensions on Faeblight by Holly * Hawthorn * Ivy

13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #28
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

This is the first Prime server, not the last.

The name Wintercharm was proposed several times in the nomination thread. Zero objections raised. It is clear that a lot of people liked the name, and everyone had a chance to vote.

Polling is always subject to debate and very often emotional in nature, but this particular process has ended. While we cannot promise that we will allow name nominations again for possible subsequent servers, we do appreciate the constructive feedback we have previously received, nominations, support and voting.

I am going to close this thread, which is almost entirely non-constructive. Please do not start another on the same topic.
    Brasse
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 03-01-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2