• 2 Post By MarginalSteve
  • 2 Post By Holyroller12
  • 1 Post By Slipmat
  • 1 Post By Holyroller12
  • 4 Post By Elayara
  • 2 Post By Balidin
  • 1 Post By Torvaldr
  • 1 Post By Khelendross

Thread: "Mythic+" or hard 5 man content?

Soulwalker

Default "Mythic+" or hard 5 man content?

Hi guys.

simple question:

I enjoyed mythic+ in WoW a lot with scalable dungeons so you can always play at your limit.

Is there any stuff like that in Rift? Like hard 5 man content?

I like pve, but I dont like raiding.

Plane Touched

Nope. There are only 4 max level 'expert' dungeons (two of which are from prior expansions with only numerical adjustments, no new mechanics), and they're trivial with anything beyond basic entry gear. Most boss mechanics won't even happen with enough DPS. The current preferred strategy is to run past all trash until it de-aggros or allow it to kill the tank and res them after everything runs off. 5 man content isn't in a great state, unfortunately.

There's currently only 4 dungeons with this expansion and 2 of them are re-hashed. There used to be master mode dungeons back in vanilla that were actually challenging, but they were too challenging for the casual crowd and got enough complaints that they were just never implemented again. The problem with challenging content (outside of raids) in rift is that they're never been rewarding enough to do. I know mythics in WoW, if your group is good enough, can still get some of the highest gear in game without ever stepping into a single raid, but that's simply not the case for now in Rift unfortunately.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Soulwalker

Thx for the answers and your time guys.

Any clue if there is a holy trinity mmorpg out there, other than wow, which offers content like that?

greetings

Champion of Telara

I think there is only FF14 and Wildstar left, but the dungeons in FF14 are not very challenging and Wildstar suffers from a lack of players and has an uncertain future. Rift still offers the most varied combat system with the most depth but less challenging content.
    Here is a good overview of what you can expect in the MMORPG market in 2018. If you like oldscool MMORPGs like Everquest 1 then Pantheon: Rise Of The Fallen is an insider tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserr View Post

I enjoyed mythic+ in WoW a lot with scalable dungeons so you can always play at your limit.

Is there any stuff like that in Rift? Like hard 5 man content?
    Keep an eye and ear open, they're soon bringing out a version of the game called Rift Prime which seems to offer scalable dungeons and zones, it will be a separate version of Rift, a bit like Everquest and Age of Conan's "progression" server(s)

Not saying it can or wouldn't offer any challenge but when Rift first started the Tier 2 versions of the Expert dungeons offered a decent challenge but Rift still suffers from the policy of throw enough gear at players and they'll just over gear everything, the players get "stronger" but the bosses stay the same.

A decent challenge where bosses will always scale would be awesome, just don't hold your breath.

I would love to see a Mythic+ in Rift! It would be pretty cheap for them to do and give smaller groups something to work on. A leaderboard would be needed, maybe reset it every 2 months or so and change the dungeons for the next “season”.

High end loot would also be required to match the difficulty to reward.

Kindread
    Cleric Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Dademore View Post
    I would love to see a Mythic+ in Rift! It would be pretty cheap for them to do and give smaller groups something to work on. A leaderboard would be needed, maybe reset it every 2 months or so and change the dungeons for the next “season”.

High end loot would also be required to match the difficulty to reward.
    Nothing's every cheap or easy unfortunately. It's not just about population either. There has to be a big enough audience to warrant them spending time and resources on it. This is why they never brought back mastermodes. It takes a great deal of time to make these dungeons and the majority of players never ran them, just a small subset of people that actually cleared both every week and eventually 2 per week for each instance when they increased the lockout for it.

I'd love to see something similar to mythics too, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. Hopefully if Prime goes well, we'll get more things like this eventually.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Ascendant

It's not like Mythic+ is rocket science. With every + level mobs have more life and hit harder; and every ~5 levels some additional difficulty is added (like mobs exploding after death, reduced tank healing, and stuff like that). And of course higher level means better rewards.

The only problem with master modes was that Trion never got the reward part right, which is the main reason why nobody played them - people that could use the equip had a hard time to finish them, and people that could finish them had no use for the equip. So instead of fixing it (and making it a worthwhile game feature), they just abandoned the whole concept - which is quite typical for Trion :-/

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    It's not like Mythic+ is rocket science. With every + level mobs have more life and hit harder; and every ~5 levels some additional difficulty is added (like mobs exploding after death, reduced tank healing, and stuff like that). And of course higher level means better rewards.

The only problem with master modes was that Trion never got the reward part right, which is the main reason why nobody played them - people that could use the equip had a hard time to finish them, and people that could finish them had no use for the equip. So instead of fixing it (and making it a worthwhile game feature), they just abandoned the whole concept - which is quite typical for Trion :-/
    Agreed. The instances were not rewarded appropriately. The same problem was with raze de canyons last expansion, the items dropped had expert level stats and hit specifically. Higher proper raid quality rewards and keeping it off random rotation it would have seen a lot more play funnily enough. With the popularity of mythical + in wow and the smaller playerbase in rift, master mode type dungeons would be a perfect fit

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    There's currently only 4 dungeons with this expansion and 2 of them are re-hashed. There used to be master mode dungeons back in vanilla that were actually challenging, but they were too challenging for the casual crowd and got enough complaints that they were just never implemented again. The problem with challenging content (outside of raids) in rift is that they're never been rewarding enough to do. I know mythics in WoW, if your group is good enough, can still get some of the highest gear in game without ever stepping into a single raid, but that's simply not the case for now in Rift unfortunately.
    I loved Master Mode dungeons. They were, by far, the most challenging and enjoyable dungeons I've run in an MMO. They were so fun with a regular group.

You totally nailed the rewards problem thing. The problem is they weren't rewarded quite on par with raids, but they were as challenging at that scale. You didn't have the hassle of herding 10 - 20 cats, but you also didn't have 15 other people to emergency fallback on for the heal/aggro/rez/whatever. So you didn't get raid level progression to help improve your power gap so you could focus more heavily on mechanics. They took a while to run, especially if you were learning and wiped and so they weren't worth the time.

Vanilla dungeon content and rewards were tuned really well. It was very gentle and easy to approach but let you tier up quickly to your skill level.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Nothing's every cheap or easy unfortunately. It's not just about population either. There has to be a big enough audience to warrant them spending time and resources on it. This is why they never brought back mastermodes. It takes a great deal of time to make these dungeons and the majority of players never ran them, just a small subset of people that actually cleared both every week and eventually 2 per week for each instance when they increased the lockout for it.

I'd love to see something similar to mythics too, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. Hopefully if Prime goes well, we'll get more things like this eventually.
    I always maintained (and still do) that the reason people didn't run them is cause they weren't worth the efforts. Especially Master Mode Caduceus Rise which while a really fantastic dungeon experience, was extremely long (9 bosses was it?). If the loot for Master Modes has been what the loot for Mythic dungeons is, I doubt we would be having this conversation. One of the biggest failings I think with the rift team is they abandon ideas to quickly without looking at the WHY of their failure. PVP Rifts is another such animal. Great idea but not enough incentive. I'll give Blizzard credit, they at least know what drives players and most times are able to successfully incentivize their players, something Rift continues to struggle with.

I think the great equalizer here is time. Daglar once indicated that they liked the idea of master modes but the resources required made it a big gamble if they wanted to rework them. I actually think there may be an opportunity to easily test this with rift prime. If they added in GOOD rewards for the three current master modes it might be interesting to see if people are using them consistently to get raid ready on Prime.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

+ Reply to Thread