+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Eternal weapon change -still can't do it! Too old.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Challengere View Post
    well yeah I mean is it technically possible yes I have done it for an alt just a few days ago and a cpl friends I know IRL, I just wouldnt expect anyone who struggles with it to be able to get it in the current state of the server
    When the server isn't offline or actively in the middle of issues, the latency is fine.

Shadowlander

I actually did manage to complete this godawful particle quest this week. It took me I don't know how long, all the while watching everyone announce different activities I could not join without this weapon. How long has it been there? That's almost how long I've been trying a few times each week. Some of the comments here did help. The one where the 1st bubble is close on the left and the 2nd is on the right you can snag the 1st by a jump without using the buttons, saving a cooldown. Stand on the left and aim so you face the 2nd as soon as you hit the 1st. Slow and steady alternate the buttons and you don't fall much if lag doesn't get you. Go right past some bubbles this way to turn and position yourself to not hit red ones.

I did nothing else in the game for 2 days. Arthritis, carpal tunnel (both hands), vertigo and lag...you name it I have it. Many times my toon dropped like a stone no matter that I was using the buttons. For 2 days I spend hours trying and then vomited with migraines for the rest of the day. I wasn't overjoyed, I was literally surprised when I got it. That was dwarfed by the bigger surprise when I looked at the next upgrade to do hundreds of things more! Granted they are not going to make me puke or get migraines but there is a new level to my dislike of the people who came up with this idea for a weapon. I now know why it's called Eternal. You never get done.

The largest issue atm with this quest is the server instability. The lag makes this quest a lot harder and a lot more unpredictable than when trying it in ideal parameters. If you already have a hard time with this quest, the current server conditions pretty much make this quest impossible.
    There are 3 types of people in this world...
    1. People with buttons
    2. People who like to push buttons

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by arachyd View Post
    That was dwarfed by the bigger surprise when I looked at the next upgrade to do hundreds of things more! Granted they are not going to make me puke or get migraines...
    You do know that the eternal questline requires 20 and then 25 particles, right? Yeah, bummer.

I've walked a number of people through this puzzle, and gotten most of them past 20 particles - and even kind of enjoying it - in under an hour. Only exceptions have been my SO - cannot get over the vertigo - and one person who simply refused to even try anything I suggested, because they "knew" they could never do it.

Some issues are very difficult or impossible to overcome:
    • Vertigo: Try setting graphics as low as possible, desaturate the screen, squint... anything to remove the sense that you are up high. But vertigo makes this quest really hard, no good solution. My SO cannot even ride across the glass bridge to the Tower or Ahnket, so this puzzle is a flat "No." Nothing people can do about vertigo -- and vertigo does not prevent any other achievements in this game, except some oddities in MoM or PoW.
    • Color Blindness/Inability to distinguish Red from Blue: Although the Red do have some additional animation, you won't really see it until you're about to hit it. Why the puzzle was not built with two different shapes, e.g. blue spheres and red cubes, amounts to poor design, and presumably could be fixed without a massive overhaul (changing only the graphical appearance of the red spheres, not their boundaries).
    • Erratic Lag: Consistent lag, say playing from Australia, is not generally a significant problem except for 25 particles, since the required movement and key-strokes are much slower and more predictable than virtually any raid mechanics. Erratic, unpredictable 1/2 second lag is a killer, though, because then you'll drop through half the puzzle before you can act again. Don't even bother on a day when movement is jerky.
    • Low frame rates, less than 20 or so -- same issue as above. Turn your graphics down to minimum while doing the puzzle to maximize frame rates.
    • Wonky game settings, especially camera. I had one person who's camera would swing around wildly and almost at random, and we could not figure out what was going on. Made it impossible to coordinate movement with view -- but it didn't happen for (most) ground movement. Finally did a completely clean reinstall with defaults because we could not fix it from the settings menu, and that fixed their camera ... broke everything else, of course.
    • Sometimes movement enhancements - whether soul abilities or items like riding chaps - seem to affect fall rate. Try turning all those off, set toon to walking rather than running, switch builds, and so on. And some days, it just seems that you'll fall too fast for no apparent reason; again, go do something else.
    • Too much clutter on the screen. Hide the chat window, the quest stickies, the map, the minion tracker and everything else.

Other than those issues, if you can play the game at all, despite arthritis/carpal tunnel/pets or children demanding attention, then the biggest single issue most people have is mind set: Hate, hate HATE IT, can't DO IT, don't WANT to do it... If you can get over that, then the actual puzzle is a breeze.

The puzzle is about FLYING!!! Who doesn't want to do that?!? Spend fifteen minutes just enjoying buzzing around in the sky without any pressure to succeed at anything. Try flying off towards the tower as far as you can go. Get used to the nice, slow pace of hitting 1, pause, 2, pause, repeat -- to keep yourself airborne as long as possible. Now try flying past a bubble (ignoring color) on the left side without hitting it, turning 90 degrees and fly past it again; try going all the way around one. Try flying to the right side of a few. Fly over bubbles and land on them; try going over, reversing and back over before you touch. You want to keep up the slow dance beat, "uh 1 and uh 2 and uh 1 and uh 2..." the entire time you are just bopping about the first few times, until you get comfortable with keeping yourself from falling uncontrollably. The pacing is closer to multi-machine Manugo than fighting: mostly I tell people to focus on doing as little as possible, no abrupt movements, no button mashing. Slow down, enjoy the view (if you can). Bahmi warriors have the best silly animations.

You may discover at this point that either your turning movement is inaccurate (can only turn fixed amounts and cannot accurately face a bubble and so on), or that you can't track the view easily; this seems especially true for people who use only keyboard to move and turn. If you don't currently do so, learn to use your mouse (typically right button) to turn your character while running around on the ground for a few minutes -- mouse movement is much more accurate for just about everything, and you may find you like it. Also makes it easier than having one hand try to do both direction and discharge in one tight corner of the keyboard. Keep your viewpoint slightly above and not too far behind, looking down maybe 20-30 degrees. Try different zoom levels, since the further away you are, the harder it may be to accurately judge where the bubble is, but if too close then it will be hard to find the next bubble.

Practice gentle, relaxed movement with some crazy (non-quest) goals: hit only red bubbles, avoid blue (wish you could get a negative score?); figure out the maximum range to reach a bubble roughly level with you -- you can get maybe three "discharges" before falling too far; fly backwards into every bubble... Whatever. Just take a few minutes to enjoy a completely different kind of movement, whether it is used anywhere else or not. Quit worrying and just tootle around for a bit. Do that for 30 minutes, no specific goal of completing the puzzle, and you'll probably get the first 15 or 20 particles without even realizing it. If you're not getting any better after 30 minutes, then quit this puzzle for the day, and try just bopping around again the next time you are on. It's a new skill, it may take a few days to get the hang of it. Getting tense and frustrated makes this puzzle much, much harder to finish. Mechanically, it is easier than almost any raid boss -- but it is 'unique' in Rift, and that can make if feel harder than it is.

Now, some problem solving skills:
    • Sometimes gravity is just too much... you fall too fast, for no apparent reason. Just hit the reset button, check/turn off any speed buffs, and start again. If problem persists, then quit and go do something else; today just isn't the day.
    • There are only a couple patterns to the puzzle, and mirror images of those patterns - total of 4, I think. Spend part of your training time studying the layout without working too hard at hitting any bubbles: Just find the next bubble and move that way, without worrying about hitting it. Pretty soon the movement becomes almost automatic, and then you can focus on reaching each one.
    • Problems locating and tracking the next bubble? You can turn your toon and look around in flight without changing direction -- as long as you don't hit a button. So, as you master the "range" of the long and short buttons, you can be looking around or flying backwards to spot and line up on your next target before you even hit your current target.
    • Can't tell whether the red bubble is in front of or behind a blue one? Turn 45-60 degrees away from them, fly forward, and immediately turn back towards them -- while flying -- to see how they realign.
    • Tight spaces between two red bubbles (common down near the bottom)? You can use a button while flying to change direction, so this like the previous point: Turn slightly away from the reds, push the long move, turn while moving to spot the gap between the reds and, as soon as you see the gap, hit the short move to get into it, then the long move to go through.

This really is one of those tasks that is easier if you don't get too hung up on getting it done. If you're getting tense or frustrated, it's time to do something else for a while.

By the way, there is a real use for these skills in game: You can use this to learn how to kite mobs by running, jumping with a 360 turn while firing off an attack mid-jump. Add some speed boosts, and you can solo just about anything that can't freeze or auto-clobber you at range. You may not care, but that doesn't mean this puzzle has no relevance at all.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Noir View Post
    You do know that the eternal questline requires 20 and then 25 particles, right? Yeah, bummer.
    I'll be the one sitting on the ledge above the bubbles crying.

Default @Gamigo

Please if nothing else please do take the quest portion of the particles out from the weapon. All of them please. The 15,20, and the 25. Thanks for reading.
    Moon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5