• 1 Post By Zaber
  • 3 Post By Leocadia
  • 3 Post By blaub4r
  • 4 Post By Jrdp
  • 5 Post By Jrdp
  • 1 Post By KnightFalz
  • 1 Post By Jrdp
  • 1 Post By jccook007

Thread: Old player not returning to Prime Servers.

Rift Disciple

Default Old player not returning to Prime Servers.

When i read that Rift was going to launch a Vanila server, without being free to play my first tought was "nice, time to go back to Rift again"

I was an old beta player, play thru all vanila Rift and with a couple of small breaks (due RL) thru all the Storm Legion and Nightmare Tide.

I really dont like the Ftp change nor a lot of things in NT, but i still continue playing due a nice comunity and lovely guild.

When Prophecy of Ahnket was announced i pre-purchase it, and when launched i started to play to find an unfinished mess, grindy as hell and stop playing after beeing playing less than a week, the problem was not the cost of the expansion (that was already payed) but the really bad expansion status and lack of content.

The return to the roots, to a vanila server was the first good choice that i think that the game managers took in a very long time (since SL at least).

What i expect to find was the old Rift vanila experience, the wonderfull comunity (that was lost in the Ftp), the old dificulty where even the plain instances where dificult like King's Breach, the old RvR where Defians and Guardians fight between themselves with wonderfull mechanics like the Pvp rifts and the fights at golbal events like RoS.

All of this with the old clases with systems that make the cloromancer really special. And old and provent content being released slowly (i imagine something one expansion each five-eight months with in the middle releases of seassonal an one time events) to have two years of content, and two years of monthly payments that give enought time and revenues to fund a proper expansion.

But from what i could read from the developer's post and the forum is really a very diferent thing:

- All the systems, clases or whathever are from the latest build, and last time i player a new char (in NT) the dificult was abysmall, at 50 you could even 2 man all the old lv50 content the experience to run lv50 content have nothing to do with what i anyone would find at vanila.
    - All those old systems like PvP rifts or old clases not present
    - Acelerated release of content that make imposible to run the content properly (one expansion each 2-3 months really?, with tiers of content each expansion that gives you maybe 4 weeks to clear a tier?) and onyl allow to clear it when its underleveled or nerfed not at a proper dificulty.
    - And when the year was finished to just all of those characters, guilds, etc... being deleted and started again for a reward that almost nobody cares?

Some developer really thing that a wthat's remaining from a guild will move to a primer server and the old players return to play in a decaffeinated game, rushing thru all the content without a breeze and playing a year to get all of those deleted when the year finished.

When at some of my last post (http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5287718) i told:

To be positive what i would expect from the game at this point:
    - The come back from the old game design decisions, Hybrids, dificult instances, complex raids, etc...
    - Bring back and do not thow ot of the window old workign mechanics, Hunting rifts, Pvp Rifts, Conquest,... yes sure, you will need developers to make them work again, well hire them.
    - A crapton of polished quality content. The money from this game probably have funded several of other trion projects, it's time to get funds back from other games to fund the content that the game needs.
    - Drop all those crap mechanics imposed to the players to force them expend more money on the shop, in the really short term put them "free" (fragment improvement at 1/10 the cost) on the medium term just get rid of them.
    - HIre more damm developers, you have not enought manpower to even maintain basic thigs like class balance.

And do this without milking the few remaining players.

But thats the problem if trion just want to get the most possible money from the game while expecting to expend the less as posible we have zero changes that the game will rise again, we need just the opposite that trion makes a bet to expend in the short term more money on the game that they one they get (or at least invest the same money they get with the expansion).

Invest money -> Proved old design decisions -> Quality and quantity content -> Do not milk the players, that is the only road that dont run directly to the disaster in my opinion.
    I dont really think that the situation would be as bad as it's today. I still think that "Proved old design decisions -> Quality and quantity content -> Do not milk the player" it's the way to go, but when i found a "Prime Server" that really seems only to exist to milk "returning" players thru old content again and again i lost the few remaining hope.

Well, at least i get a good thing of the Prime servers.... i have finally learned that it's time to let my fond memories of the old Rift die and step away forever.

Good luck on the future, but i will not take this ship.

General of Telara

For me I do see it as a problem with Rift Prime. I just got to see if works out for them as I know the B2P options didn't fly with many people with the last expansion. Even if that had everything the same from back the same 100% as I am old player won't make me feel I want to do same rehash content. I just hope live don't get even worst lack of content due to dev time working on Rift Prime.
    Last edited by Zaber; 02-14-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Zaber View Post
    <snip> the B2P options didn't fly with many people with the last expansion. <snip>
    If I had to guess I would say that the B2P option didn't fly because they promised "polished" content, charged a hilariously steep price for it, and delivered an unfinished, grindy, postage-stamp size mess. They probably would have had much more luck with B2P if they had delivered something amazing on a sliding price scale. Kind of like you could pay different amounts for the NMT version (I think it was $25, $50, and $150 packs with various yummy additions). I don't think that they gave B2P an honest shot.

Disclaimer: the art team was on point, I always thought that their work was absolutely amazing

Soulwalker

i think its not the best idea split a low community ...

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Leocadia View Post
    If I had to guess I would say that the B2P option didn't fly because they promised "polished" content, charged a hilariously steep price for it, and delivered an unfinished, grindy, postage-stamp size mess. They probably would have had much more luck with B2P if they had delivered something amazing on a sliding price scale. Kind of like you could pay different amounts for the NMT version (I think it was $25, $50, and $150 packs with various yummy additions). I don't think that they gave B2P an honest shot.

Disclaimer: the art team was on point, I always thought that their work was absolutely amazing
    If they had more time maybe would of been one the best who knows. Few good thing they did make the class not to much like the old with a new way to play them I just wish for more option, and the cost of the packs was a good cost I like how they didn't push for $100 to $150.
    Last edited by Zaber; 02-14-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by blaub4r View Post
    i think its not the best idea split a low community ...
    In my case (that i suppose from the dev post that was the main target) was not the case.

I'm currently not playing Rift nor have any expectations to play in the future (with the current status of Rift in live servers), and Trion is right in that it would be a "new" player.

The problem is that what they made have zero sense to me.

A) If they want the old players to return they need to offer an old "vanila" experience, not the current one, i leave Rift because i dont like the current status of Rift, not because i dont like the old Rift.
    B) I find dificult that a player who is not currently playing live servers would be interested in a rush thru all content to get all deleted after a year to get "something" that applies on live servers that he's not playing.
    C) If some mechanics are "fixed" on temporal servers is the main hook to get a returned player (not ftp shop, no lootboxes, no player milk mechanics, etc.) it's almost imposible that a player who return because continue playing on "live" servers that dont have that also changed.

All those reasons points to me that the target is not the "old" players as exposed but current "live" players that dont live thru the release of the game, and then i'm with you, this would only divide the current player base that from im could read is already on the really low of all the time.

Each thing i read only points to me that the "vanila" experience is just the current "live" experience with the current content being delivered thru a year and some removed things to milk some of the remaining players just a year more.

Rift Disciple

I just got to see if works out for them as I know the B2P options didn't fly with many people with the last expansion.
    I could give you my experience, i left because that B2P option.

The problem was not the B2P, i payed the expansion and have zero problems with it, the problem is that if i payed for something i expect quality and quantity.

But instead a quality expansion i get an unfinished mess.

Instead a quantity i get the smaller content of all the updates

Instead of a B2P experience i get an experience aimed at makes me farm till my eyes bleed or pay more money.

All of those three things where what makes me left the game, i payed a B2P expansion and get an small unfinished FtP one.

as I am old player won't make me feel I want to do same rehash content.
    Well, i want the old rift experience, a game that was dificult and even more dificult to master and that rewards the player properly. That experience would be ideal with "new" content absolutely. But i could go thru all the old content with that old experience again to give Trion time to release new content that fulfill those expectations.

I just hope live don't get even worst lack of content due to dev time working on Rift Prime.
    The trick on Rift Prime is that i think it needs veeery low effort to make, and in my opinion of couse that you will lack content on live, and even more because the Prime servers.

If Trion already lacks manpower to makes any meaningfull content and devotes those remaining resources to make a server to milk a bit more the few remaining players what do you think that will happend with live?

I bet you will get a temporal server this year, another temporal server next year with some minimal changes and that cycle till the game closes and just a live support on live servers.

I only hope i'm just wong on this because it will be sad to see those on a game that once time i love.

Plane Walker

if prime comes out:

old school pvp please ( being a noob and leveling a noob and actually putting favor to good use was a lot of fun especially port scion and conquest. lag or no lag I don't care I miss it like crazy.

who else remembers the days being level 10+ doing pvp in library against rogue tanks (riftstalkers) :P and people thinking they were cheating when using the memory and recall abilities? :P fun days haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jrdp View Post
    I still think that "Proved old design decisions -> Quality and quantity content -> Do not milk the player" it's the way to go, but when i found a "Prime Server" that really seems only to exist to milk "returning" players thru old content again and again i lost the few remaining hope.
    It is an optional different way to play for interested subscribers. It isn't a complete reproduction of the past, but I don't think that was a reasonable expectation as I doubt Trion has the resources to devote to such a project.

Providing options is hardly milking the players. It is simply offering a different approach to the game for those interested. For those that aren't they can stick to regular Rift, or go elsewhere if the game no longer suits them.

Since you are choosing to depart, I wish you luck in finding another game more to your liking, or whatever else you choose to do.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFalz View Post
    Since you are choosing to depart, I wish you luck in finding another game more to your liking, or whatever else you choose to do.
    As i told in the first messagei already left a week after Starfall Prophecy was released (the reason was easy, Trion sold a BuyToPlay promise and gives the worst FreeToPlay experience to date instead).

In this year and a half i dont have any problem finding games "of my liking" and don't have any desire to return to play Rift at his current state.

When they announced the "vanila" Rift server i think that maybe it could have changed (because i have a lot of good memories from those experiences), but the more i read about what they are triying to do, the lower the chance i will return to Rift.

They funny is that with the choices Trion took not only they drive me away once when ther release Starfall Prophecy a year and a half ago, they drive me away a second time (but this time at least before i could even spend a dime) before i could even return.
    Last edited by Jrdp; 02-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Soulwalker

When i read that Rift was going to launch a Vanila server, without being free to play my first tought was "nice, time to go back to Rift again"
    As someone who was just told by his friend about all this I rushed over to make a forum account (lost my old launch details) and see exactly what he was talking about. IF it was a genuinely vanilla experience I wouldn't even mind the patron status or non PvP shard as long as I could enjoy the brutally hard 5 man content as my Bard again in a 2 dps 1 tank 1 healer 1 support group I would be happy. Not to mention the insane difficulty of Hammerknell when it was released would be a treat to enjoy again.

- All the systems, clases or whathever are from the latest build, and last time i player a new char (in NT) the dificult was abysmall, at 50 you could even 2 man all the old lv50 content the experience to run lv50 content have nothing to do with what i anyone would find at vanila.
    - All those old systems like PvP rifts or old classes not present
    I had feared something like this would happen, this is basically taking WoW as an example an equivalent of capping your level at 60 and running all the old content with new spells/talents which turns them into absolute jokes of instances. If classes and game balance remain the same as they are now it most certainly will not be the same experience and I won't even bother to try it. What's the point of just steamrolling all the content?

Quote Originally Posted by sofeorus View Post
    if prime comes out:
    who else remembers the days being level 10+ doing pvp in library against rogue tanks (riftstalkers) :P and people thinking they were cheating when using the memory and recall abilities? :P fun days haha
    This may not be early game but I still remember the stuff people complained were crazy OP at max level on launch.
    I remember Titan's Strike being a 5 man AoE stun that did huge damage. You stack 3 Champions in a Battleground and things get real amazing real quick.

As well as Ground of Power on Mages, damn you fire mages and your SPAM stuns with immunity to CC! It was great fun though.

I forget the class name but there was also a Anti - Mage melee class that had disgusting aoe silences and crazy mana burn. Was definitely a more interesting kind of class that made healers and casters extremely salty.

Lastly who could forget the Saboteur literally 1 hit killing people after stacking debuffs and charges on someone for a solid 10 seconds, totally unhealable.
    Last edited by Fuzedknight; 02-22-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Soulwalker

I wouldn't mind returning to the Prime server, if it was worth spending the money on a monthly subscription. In my opinion, they don't offer enough incentive to make it worthwhile. I've been around since RIFT launched. Back then, the subscription was worth the money. Just my 2 cents.

+ Reply to Thread